Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

New Super Mario Bros. 2 hitting this August in Japan

New Super Mario Bros. 2, a new game from Nintendo, is coming to 3DS this August in Japan, Satoru Iwata announced at tonight's Nintendo Direct livestream. Pictures, the first of which you can view below, showed a 2D title, New Super Mario Bros. 2, running on the 3DS.

Source
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

2. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    As much as I'd love to say Yay!, come on Nintendo...can't you come up with a creative Mario game for once? I'd love to see a very different take on Mario as in Galaxy, not Mario Bros 126350623462187876.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

4. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    As much as I'd love to say Yay!, come on Nintendo...can't you come up with a creative Mario game for once? I'd love to see a very different take on Mario as in Galaxy, not Mario Bros 126350623462187876.
    How do you know it won't be different? Even if it's more of the same from NSMB, then I'll be happy. That game is superb.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    How do you know it won't be different? Even if it's more of the same from NSMB, then I'll be happy. That game is superb.
    I don't know, I don't know, but I just wish to see something mind blowing for once. I used to love the formula, but I've stopped buying Mario games for the reason that I feel like I'm paying $40 for the same, dated experience. I just hope Nintendo can come up with a Mario game that I'll enjoy as much as I enjoyed Rayman Origins on the Vita.
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Selected Members Council
    The last Mario game that I remember playing was Super Mario Sunshine. I never bothered to complete it though. I was simply introduced to better platforming titles like Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy and Ratchet & Clank.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    I don't have a link, but it's coming out oh NA in August as well. And can't wait to see a trailer! Just seeing the leaf has got me excited
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

10. Likes dreams likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Very excited for this!
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    thats cool although i wanna see another sunshine game that was my favorite mario game next to 64

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Cool... But i have to say

Why not a new game instead of a old game series
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Hopefully this wont be like the first one, cause i rather just get a nintendo 64 emulator and download roms for it.

The only difference is the quality of the graphics.

Elite Member

Did you happen to play Super Mario 3D Land? It sort of had a mix of gameplay styles from the Galaxy Games and traditional Mario platformers but still remained a fresh experience because it was designed uniquely from every other Mario adventure/platform title before it.

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Cool... But i have to say

Why not a new game instead of a old game series
    It is a new game.

Quote Originally Posted by dreams View Post
    Hopefully this wont be like the first one, cause i rather just get a nintendo 64 emulator and download roms for it.

The only difference is the quality of the graphics.
    The screenshot alone pretty much shows this won't be like the first one which in itself wasn't like the old series aside from the fact that you have a flag pole goal at the end

Elite Member
    Items Tommy VercettiGameboy PurpleNintendoThe X-Files
    I enjoyed the first and have played it a lot (a lot), but I always felt like it was missing a bit of the "magic". From just the screenshots it already looks better (obviously I'll have to wait to judge it properly though). I like the SMB 3 style touches

It doesn't look so promising, the only different thing is that he can fly?
    maybe the worlds will change too with a few additional touches maybe to the 'bad guys'
    these nintendo ds games don't hold to much memory so there's a limit on what they can make and put on unlike the playstation 3 games which mostly likely hold from 8-16gb.
    A standard .iso holds about 8.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Avrum View Post
    Did you happen to play Super Mario 3D Land? It sort of had a mix of gameplay styles from the Galaxy Games and traditional Mario platformers but still remained a fresh experience because it was designed uniquely from every other Mario adventure/platform title before it.
    I hav, I have, and I truly enjoyed it. It's exactly what I mean, why go back after trying new things? Especially when it's so much more of the same.
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    If you can't be toad or the princess they need to take the 2 off the end

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Elite Member

I hav, I have, and I truly enjoyed it. It's exactly what I mean, why go back after trying new things? Especially when it's so much more of the same.
    Who says that they won't try the Mario 3D Land approach again? Nintendo "going back" to this style doesn't mean that it's permanent. A lot of Mario adventure/platformer titles are developed with different approaches in mind. New Super Mario Bros. as a series has a certain established style (consider NSMB and NSMB Wii) which is why the direct sequel also uses the same style. Mario 3D Land being an entry different to that of say, Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. then is designed with a style all its own. If we see another Mario 3D Land title it will likely follow in the footsteps of the previous Mario 3D Land game, just as Super Mario Galaxy 2 followed Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. 2 following New Super Mario Bros..

@ Dream

It doesn't look so promising, the only different thing is that he can fly?
    maybe the worlds will change too with a few additional touches maybe to the 'bad guys'
    these nintendo ds games don't hold to much memory so there's a limit on what they can make and put on unlike the playstation 3 games which mostly likely hold from 8-16gb.
    A standard .iso holds about 8. .
    Why compare the size of a 3DS game to the size of a PS3 game? Not to mention that the most taxing 3DS games are created on carts quite a few gigabytes in size the largest thus far being 4GB . (Resident Evil/Kingdom Hearts for example) Thus far that has been enough to still create very good gaming experiences on the platform. By comparison, Mario 3D Land was made on a 512 MB cart, it too being a very good and full content game. It's not so much the size of the media, but what you do with it and while more can be done with a larger size it's probably not all that necessary when it comes to portable titles especially with how impressive many of them have been thus far. Not even Vita, which is actually pushed as having supposed high end gaming experiences on the go, uses media the size of PS3 games.

@ Monte666

To be fair, the USA Super Mario Bros. 2 was actually an adaptation for our market based on a game called Doki Doki Panic after Nintendo felt the original Super Mario Bros. 2 (which we know of as The Lost Levels from Super Mario All Stars) was too difficult. From that perspective, if New Super Mario Bros. 2 still only stars Mario/Luigi, it fits. However, if the game does have cooperative play, the likelihood of at least Toad being playable is high if only because New Super Mario Bros. Wii allowed a third and fourth player to play as Toad.
    Last edited by Avrum; 04-22-2012 at 19:50.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    I'm sorry, but lol at some of these complaints. It's sounding like Mario has been the same the past 5 generations of systems. Mario is now split into 2 series: 2D and 3D. They just released a 3D game last year. I can't wait to see a trailer
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    I'm sorry, but lol at some of these complaints. It's sounding like Mario has been the same the past 5 generations of systems. Mario is now split into 2 series: 2D and 3D. They just released a 3D game last year. I can't wait to see a trailer
    Could be worse, there are people out there that think New Super Mario Bros. on the DS and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are the same game.

Thread Information