Latest PSU headlines:

PSN ID
    phantomjla24

needing the lens vs. needing blu ray drive

hi everyone, ive had my ps3 160gb slim model for a little over a year now and last week it stopped reading the games and blu ray movies. dvds and cds work fine in it. i took it apart and cleaned the lens with alcohol, yall know the drill lol. well that didnt do it. im just wondering should i order the little lens piece or the whole blu ray drive. also if i choose to replace the lens part will the ps3 play my dowloaded games from the store without the blu ray drive in it? please help and point me in the right direction and what are some good sites besides ebay and amazon to look for good parts?
    thanks

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Marcgear
    Items PlayStation
    Id buy the whole drive just to be sure changed one on my mates phat was a nice an easy process. the ps3 should function without the drive in, best place ive found is Ebay obviously usual Ebay procedure apply s lol.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Id replace the entire drive, one big unit might be easier and saves the hassle if something else related is wrong.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

4. Likes Marcsony likes this post

I'd say just get the lens sorted out nevertheless the best option is to replace the entire drive so nothing else can go wrong, but it depends how much its going to cost you?

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by irishbluedevil24 View Post
    hi everyone, ive had my ps3 160gb slim model for a little over a year now and last week it stopped reading the games and blu ray movies. dvds and cds work fine in it. i took it apart and cleaned the lens with alcohol, yall know the drill lol. well that didnt do it. im just wondering should i order the little lens piece or the whole blu ray drive. also if i choose to replace the lens part will the ps3 play my dowloaded games from the store without the blu ray drive in it? please help and point me in the right direction and what are some good sites besides ebay and amazon to look for good parts?
    thanks
    You could try challenging the retailer and say it isn't fit for purpose.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Thread Information