Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Master Guru
    Western games have taken the industry by storm but i still enjoy a good Japanese game.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    JRPGs tend to focus on story, and WRPGs tend to focus on action. Compare the length of the core game - JRPGs often take much longer to play through their main quest, whereas WRPGs have increasingly relied on side-quest material for their length. JRPGs also contain actual role-playing elements that WRPGs are dropping - character traits are giving way to weapons specs. I absolutely love customization in any form, but it usually shouldn't take the place of story and character interaction in an RPG (the glaring exception being Demon's Souls, the best RPG I've played this gen). I enjoy the hell out of Mass Effect, but as a role-playing game it doesn't hold a candle to any Final Fantasy I've played (meaning not FFXIII). The difference probably lies in your definition of 'role-playing', though - playing as a less-customizable character in a more personal story is quite a change from playing as a more personalized character in a less-specific story.

Shut up and play games

3. Likes Versus likes this post
    Wow O_O, has this forums layout always been backwards?

Anyway I think some of you didn't understand my point here. Japanese games lack true character reactions thus even their stories too suffer. If you look at how realistically character reactions are in Mass Effect compared to anything from Japan you'll see that many reactions from Japan are too fake.

To the other guy: I've played too many jrpgs to count. I'm kind of seeing a social flaw within Japanese society as it relates to how they make games and anime. Instead of fixing their social issues they instead think westernizing their game will help sells in the west. Japan suffers from conformist thinking meaning you'll see a lot of everybody making and repeating the same old frustrating anime themes. On top of that their isn't any open talking in Japan. In Japan you just can't go right up to your boss and say you have a problem. You can't openly say I love you to your girl in Japan while there are people around. All of this suppression of emotions makes many Japanese people not good are relating to realistic reactions. That's is why many thing in Japanese anime is so fake. Not because the love the fakeness, it's because they can't relate realistically.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanille View Post

Anyway I think some of you didn't understand my point here. Japanese games lack true character reactions thus even their stories too suffer. If you look at how realistically character reactions are in Mass Effect compared to anything from Japan you'll see that many reactions from Japan are too fake.

To the other guy: I've played too many jrpgs to count. I'm kind of seeing a social flaw within Japanese society as it relates to how they make games and anime. Instead of fixing their social issues they instead think westernizing their game will help sells in the west. Japan suffers from conformist thinking meaning you'll see a lot of everybody making and repeating the same old frustrating anime themes. On top of that their isn't any open talking in Japan. In Japan you just can't go right up to your boss and say you have a problem. You can't openly say I love you to your girl in Japan while there are people around. All of this suppression of emotions makes many Japanese people not good are relating to realistic reactions. That's is why many thing in Japanese anime is so fake. Not because the love the fakeness, it's because they can't relate realistically.
    What do you mean by social 'issues'. Being reserved is not a social issue. I for one can easily relate to such an environment because where I grew up (Pakistan) the society is almost the same. You can't express emotions to the opposite sex that easily or you are considered a flirting scum.

So what I'm trying to say here is that I enjoy anime and jrpgs because I have no trouble relating to the characters and the stories, and it isn't something that needs to be 'fixed' in those games.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    One persons opinion.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    Anyone ever read the hagakuri if you have you probably know some of their main problems. Haga kuri =samurai handbook

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    What part of "Fantasy" don't you understand?. Of course they're fake!. Japanese games and even western games are all fantasy. There is nothing realistic about them. Period.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    What part of "Fantasy" don't you understand?. Of course they're fake!. Japanese games and even western games are all fantasy. There is nothing realistic about them. Period.
    IDK man every time I want the kids to get off my yard I yell FUS RO DAH and they move, and I regularly kill dragons and spiders. Sure the dragons are small and often called lizard but that dosent stop me from grabbing a can of WD40 and a lighter and throwing some flames their ways.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Forum Overseer

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    After being away from this site for so long I've been playing a bunch of western games. So far I love how attractive western female game characters are compared to "Lets just make all the girls scrawny with big boobs" Japanese females characters.

I'm really loving the depth and realism of western characters personalities far better compared to the fake over the top stuff in jrpgs. What's been turning me off from Japanese games is the insane amount of unrealisticness in their personalities and reactions. Japanese male characters are becoming annoying beta, unmasculine and very feminine. This is not to say that they need be macho mind you. I'm saying Japanese game characters much like in real Japan show a lot of beta male traits that turn women off in real life.

I like the fact in Mass effect 3 you can be sexual because thats how it is in real life. If you what the girl you can't be her friend or else she'll friend zone you. If you like her then let her know that. In Jrpgs they use the classic I'm scared beta-male tactic of becoming her friend for years LMAO!.....In real life 90% of the time it doesn't work that way but Japan is so deep in beta-male grass eater culture that they give most of their anime and game characters beta traits.

Western games I think simply work on an instinct level of realism where you know deep down that's how reality sometimes works. Japanese games are so fake that only their conformist beta male society and anime-fanboys can truly enjoy it because in the beta male mind they wish they could get the girl or save the world while being a feminine scrawny guy.

You fanboys will flame me (I know this because I once was a hardcore anime fan nerd so I know how you think). But that won't change the fact Japan is a conformist beta male society and this hurts their games, anime and everything else.
    1) You're probably just getting older.

2) Western games have come a long way.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Yep. Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc. Nothing out of Japan has even come close.
    Ever?

I'd reconsider that lol.

EDIT: Muahahaha.

EDIT 2: FF4 anyone? I'm rolling here.

It has the best script ever...but alright, I'm not going to argue.

Ancient

I like Mass Effect I really do, but what ya saying is off, its not realistic versus fake, it's robotic versus OTT japanese drama
    probably just me but the choices in conversation & even just general cut scenes seem very robotic, it's a actors problem, it's just the way the game is, I find japanese RPG's more fluid & it doesn't throw me out the experience by thinking (that just look weird)
    I'm hoping ME3 fixes this.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    This is why you SE so many Japanese RPG taking on western flavor......Dragon Dogma by Capcom.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Gaddesreinhart
    Items PS3 FatVita
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    This is why you SE so many Japanese RPG taking on western flavor......Dragon Dogma by Capcom.
    With VERY mixed results. Dragon's Dogma looks like the first one that get's it right.
    Retired FFXI player. FFXIV player, Malboro Server.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    And this is arguably the most stupid mistake they are making. There is nothing wrong with japanese games.The reason they are no longer popular is because of the lack of innovation in game mechanics NOT characters. Having played Kingdom Hearts games, Final Fantasies, Tales of games and others I think JRPGs are amazing. Heck japan can make some of the most badass action scenes (anime and movies like advent children)

Thread Information