Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Vanille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    36
    Points
    64 (0 Banked)

    I can't go back to Japanese games.....DAMN YOU AWESOME WESTERN GAMES!!!

    After being away from this site for so long I've been playing a bunch of western games. So far I love how attractive western female game characters are compared to "Lets just make all the girls scrawny with big boobs" Japanese females characters.

    I'm really loving the depth and realism of western characters personalities far better compared to the fake over the top stuff in jrpgs. What's been turning me off from Japanese games is the insane amount of unrealisticness in their personalities and reactions. Japanese male characters are becoming annoying beta, unmasculine and very feminine. This is not to say that they need be macho mind you. I'm saying Japanese game characters much like in real Japan show a lot of beta male traits that turn women off in real life.

    I like the fact in Mass effect 3 you can be sexual because thats how it is in real life. If you what the girl you can't be her friend or else she'll friend zone you. If you like her then let her know that. In Jrpgs they use the classic I'm scared beta-male tactic of becoming her friend for years LMAO!.....In real life 90% of the time it doesn't work that way but Japan is so deep in beta-male grass eater culture that they give most of their anime and game characters beta traits.

    Western games I think simply work on an instinct level of realism where you know deep down that's how reality sometimes works. Japanese games are so fake that only their conformist beta male society and anime-fanboys can truly enjoy it because in the beta male mind they wish they could get the girl or save the world while being a feminine scrawny guy.

    You fanboys will flame me (I know this because I once was a hardcore anime fan nerd so I know how you think). But that won't change the fact Japan is a conformist beta male society and this hurts their games, anime and everything else.

  2. Likes Hulious777 likes this post
  3. #2
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    21
    Posts
    8,347
    Rep Power
    85
    Points
    31,925 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanille View Post
    After being away from this site for so long I've been playing a bunch of western games. So far I love how attractive western female game characters are compared to "Lets just make all the girls scrawny with big boobs" Japanese females characters.

    I'm really loving the depth and realism of western characters personalities far better compared to the fake over the top stuff in jrpgs. What's been turning me off from Japanese games is the insane amount of unrealisticness in their personalities and reactions. Japanese male characters are becoming annoying beta, unmasculine and very feminine. This is not to say that they need be macho mind you. I'm saying Japanese game characters much like in real Japan show a lot of beta male traits that turn women off in real life.

    I like the fact in Mass effect 3 you can be sexual because thats how it is in real life. If you what the girl you can't be her friend or else she'll friend zone you. If you like her then let her know that. In Jrpgs they use the classic I'm scared beta-male tactic of becoming her friend for years LMAO!.....In real life 90% of the time it doesn't work that way but Japan is so deep in beta-male grass eater culture that they give most of their anime and game characters beta traits.

    Western games I think simply work on an instinct level of realism where you know deep down that's how reality sometimes works. Japanese games are so fake that only their conformist beta male society and anime-fanboys can truly enjoy it because in the beta male mind they wish they could get the girl or save the world while being a feminine scrawny guy.

    You fanboys will flame me (I know this because I once was a hardcore anime fan nerd so I know how you think). But that won't change the fact Japan is a conformist beta male society and this hurts their games, anime and everything else.
    I agree, but saying that all jrpgs do that is not quite accurate. Also, you may think that is unrealistic just because we are used to seeing the western society and attitudes around us. Personally I think the western society is too forward, and for me being sexual all the time will be more unrealistic.

    Its funny cuz I'm a jrpg and anime fan as well so it makes sense that I feel this way. However I know what you are talking about and SOMETIMES it bothers me a bit as well
    Last edited by Itachi; 04-22-2012 at 19:28.

  4. #3
    Ancient
    TGO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    purgatory
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10,506
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    13,297 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I hate Western RPG's, Mass Effect is ok, but kinda robotic & boring outside the shooter aspect, which ain't the best either.
    I actually enjoyed mining planet mostly in ME2, Oh and getting in Mirandas pants, but thats it.

    "Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

  5. #4
    Finally You Are Free
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,033
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    86,290 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think Japanese games have been on a decline for a while, personally, and it's due to them being unwilling to adapt to the ever-changing and advancing gaming market. They're falling behind, and those that do try to catch up usually do a poor job at it.

  6. Likes Nuvian , Bigdoggy , PS4freak likes this post
  7. #5
    Apprentice
    Monte666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    20
    Points
    911 (0 Banked)
    Yeah pretty much every lead jrpg character since cloud in ff7 have all had girly deus and attitudes give me some skyrim

    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

  8. #6
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,854
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    71,238 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ok, and how many JRPGs have you played this gen? FF13 and...?

    Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

  9. #7
    Apprentice
    Monte666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    20
    Points
    911 (0 Banked)
    I haven't played a ff game since #8 and it just bored me so much. I started playing my snes ff games again in the last couple months. that said the dragon age series star ocean a couple others I will give any game a chance just nothing has really grabbed my attention. At some point I lost my attention span for long games skyrim brought it back.

    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

  10. #8
    Selected Members Council
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slime Hill
    Age
    23
    Posts
    23,157
    Rep Power
    195
    Points
    19,851 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Honestly, saying that anyone who likes anime/JRPGs must be a "hardcore anime fan nerd" like you once said you were is akin to saying that anyone who likes Call of Duty or Battlefield or whatever the latest popular shooter is must be a "13-15 year-old rage-quitting, $#@!phobic racist". I guess I should be glad that I like both western and Japanese titles.

    And to be perfectly honest, sexuality in games is the last thing I would think about when playing games. Even in Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age: Origins where you're allowed to form relationships with other NPCs.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-22-2012 at 21:34.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!



  11. Likes Gaddes, AaronSOLDIER , Kauldron likes this post
  12. #9
    Apprentice
    Monte666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    20
    Points
    911 (0 Banked)
    The funny part about this is I have been playing rpgs since adventure on my 2600, and this is the first time I can think of when we could even have a good game from both countries. After the nes showed up almost all rpgs where Japanese. USA style just seem to have more instant action Imo

    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

  13. #10
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    21
    Posts
    8,347
    Rep Power
    85
    Points
    31,925 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I feel that Japanese games don't have this problem as much as some anime. On the other hand there are some amazing anime with great writing aswell. Its not that big of a problem as some people make it sound like. Its not some rule of life that men have to be tanks on steroids and in fact THOSE types of western characters are getting old and that is why I have stopped playing First person shooters. Its all bald muscly guys shouting and shooting.

  14. #11
    Master Guru
    Fon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    @Home
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,147
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    113,274 (10,000 Banked)
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    -Not all female Japanese characters are scrawny with big breasts
    -Every game ever made is not realistic.. It's all fantasy
    -JRPG characters have more characteristics then WRPG characters.
    -Mass Effect 3 characters sound and act like robots with no real emotion
    -Your avatar comes from a Japanese female game character..
    -You came in here and attacked anyone who disagrees with your opinion

    Yep, you pretty much made an ass of yourself. Nice baseless empty-minded argument you have there.







  15. Likes Itachi likes this post
  16. #12
    Super Elite
    Gaddes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach S.C
    PSN ID
    Gaddesreinhart
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,204
    Rep Power
    52
    Points
    1,297 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 FatVita
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    -Not all female Japanese characters are scrawny with big breasts
    -Every game ever made is not realistic.. It's all fantasy
    -JRPG characters have more characteristics then WRPG characters.
    -Mass Effect 3 characters sound and act like robots with no real emotion
    -Your avatar comes from a Japanese female game character..
    -You came in here and attacked anyone who disagrees with your opinion

    Yep, you pretty much made an ass of yourself. Nice baseless empty-minded argument you have there.
    This. If there's one problem I have with WRPG's, it the need to be ultra grim dark, and dropping hype buzz words like "massive open world", "Visceral combat" and a host of other meaningless buzz words.
    Retired FFXI player. FFXIV player, Malboro Server.




  17. #13
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,083
    Rep Power
    149
    Points
    94,738 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaddes View Post
    This. If there's one problem I have with WRPG's, it the need to be ultra grim dark, and dropping hype buzz words like "massive open world", "Visceral combat" and a host of other meaningless buzz words.
    Hit the nail on the head there. I like WRPG as well as some JRPGs but the majority of strategy that goes into WRPGs are the same. They use the same angle to help draw people into it. Nothing wrong with the games but they try to sell up the action more than any RPG aspects the games might have. Which to be honest are usual quite minimal. Never really understood why the are called WRPGs in the first place. Minus select few games. They are mostly just lengthy action games. I'm a fan of them but essentially that is the majority of them.




    Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

  18. Likes Gaddes likes this post
  19. #14
    Superior Member
    Joe Zombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    635
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    4,016 (0 Banked)
    Some Western games are great, but IMO, most Western developers deliver shooters, or other games that don't have a whole lot of substance/depth. There are some exceptions, and you can tell Japanese devs are trying to break into our market with their own, similar shooters. They should stick to what they're good at; I can usually tell a Japanese and a Western game apart, and they all don't necessarily have to be anime-inspired either.

  20. #15
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    242
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    291 (0 Banked)
    Japan just needs a change in direction, they need to open up ideas to their younger developers. There's too much talent there wasting right now. I don't get how you say Western developers are so great, they're just really good at smoke and mirrors. It's just a lot of mindless repetition with very little depth.

    I'll give you the points about the Japanese mail characters being feminine, make sure to tack emo on there as well which is one of the biggest reasons JRPG's have bombed this generation it's just impossible for most people to try and role play with a girly crybaby main character.

    Still this has been a disappointing generation all around with very few truly great original games, just because Japan has lost their way doesn't mean the West has done that great. They've just managed to make games that have been better than average, they still have a lot of work to do. There's far too many games where driving for 10+ minutes between missions takes up most of the time it takes to complete a game, and games like Skyrim that seem great when you first start playing them but 5 hours in you realize you're doing the same thing an infinite amount of times.

    I will cut them slack though since developers are stuck with the stupid one dvd9 on the 360 and the insanely stupid 256MB of memory on the ps3, both of which have hindered probably most developers even if they won't admit it

  21. #16
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    21
    Posts
    8,347
    Rep Power
    85
    Points
    31,925 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by malys View Post
    Japan just needs a change in direction, they need to open up ideas to their younger developers. There's too much talent there wasting right now. I don't get how you say Western developers are so great, they're just really good at smoke and mirrors. It's just a lot of mindless repetition with very little depth.

    I'll give you the points about the Japanese mail characters being feminine, make sure to tack emo on there as well which is one of the biggest reasons JRPG's have bombed this generation it's just impossible for most people to try and role play with a girly crybaby main character.

    Still this has been a disappointing generation all around with very few truly great original games, just because Japan has lost their way doesn't mean the West has done that great. They've just managed to make games that have been better than average, they still have a lot of work to do. There's far too many games where driving for 10+ minutes between missions takes up most of the time it takes to complete a game, and games like Skyrim that seem great when you first start playing them but 5 hours in you realize you're doing the same thing an infinite amount of times.

    I will cut them slack though since developers are stuck with the stupid one dvd9 on the 360 and the insanely stupid 256MB of memory on the ps3, both of which have hindered probably most developers even if they won't admit it
    Technological limitations are no excuse for character designs. That said I still have yet to play a jrpg where a protagonist is a "girly crybaby" but I guess that term is subjective
    Last edited by Itachi; 04-23-2012 at 15:47.

  22. #17
    Apprentice
    Monte666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    20
    Points
    911 (0 Banked)
    Skyrim is repetitive but I still like it. But so is every rpg since forever not just American look at ff how many million times have you fought the same combination of monsters. I never said they were bad some of my favorite games of all time are jrpgs. Just seems their formula has stagnated

    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

  23. #18
    Forum Elder
    RaY_210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,685
    Rep Power
    44
    Points
    30,647 (0 Banked)
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I think Japanese games have been on a decline for a while, personally, and it's due to them being unwilling to adapt to the ever-changing and advancing gaming market. They're falling behind, and those that do try to catch up usually do a poor job at it.
    I disagree with this. In my view, I think their decline is in trying to change and appeal to the West. I don't know how well RE's have done since 4 in Japan, but I think making it more action was to appeal to the US and/or Europe. I don't have any specific links, but I know I've read before from Japanese developers talking about trying to appeal to Western audiences. I think that's what has caused their decline
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

  24. #19
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    21
    Posts
    8,347
    Rep Power
    85
    Points
    31,925 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    I disagree with this. In my view, I think their decline is in trying to change and appeal to the West. I don't know how well RE's have done since 4 in Japan, but I think making it more action was to appeal to the US and/or Europe. I don't have any specific links, but I know I've read before from Japanese developers talking about trying to appeal to Western audiences. I think that's what has caused their decline
    That's pretty obvious that the are after the fps market. Recently the RE6 producer said that the survival horror genre is dead and that RE will continue to head in an action direction because they are inspired by the COD sale numbers

  25. #20
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    168
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I hate JRPGs (except FFX) so I agree. I enjoy WRPGs alot more. JRPGs this gen have been mostly crap imo.

  26. #21
    Selected Members Council
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slime Hill
    Age
    23
    Posts
    23,157
    Rep Power
    195
    Points
    19,851 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by malys View Post
    I'll give you the points about the Japanese mail characters being feminine, make sure to tack emo on there as well which is one of the biggest reasons JRPG's have bombed this generation it's just impossible for most people to try and role play with a girly crybaby main character.
    Actually, Cloud Strife is a tragic character and, due to its successful performance, Final Fantasy VII is considered to be the game that opened doors for JRPGs to become more of a mainstream genre in the industry. Besides, there are plenty of JRPGs, like Persona 4, where you're not playing the role of a "girly crybaby main character". Not that it would make the average gamer any less of a man to connect with the cast emotionally. As long as it's not like Final Fantasy XIII where there's an overabundance of melodrama.

    I will cut them slack though since developers are stuck with the stupid one dvd9 on the 360 and the insanely stupid 256MB of memory on the ps3, both of which have hindered probably most developers even if they won't admit it
    Well, Final Fantasy Versus XIII shows us that we can have an open-world, populated with monsters and airships and anything else that made the PSone generation of Final Fantasy games so memorable. However, a compelling story, full of twists and likable characters, comes down to the writer(s) and director.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!



  27. Likes Itachi likes this post
  28. #22
    Master Guru
    Fon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    @Home
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,147
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    113,274 (10,000 Banked)
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    That's pretty obvious that the are after the fps market. Recently the RE6 producer said that the survival horror genre is dead and that RE will continue to head in an action direction because they are inspired by the COD sale numbers
    I believe that Raccoon City was aiming to take some of the Call of Duty audience. But no matter how much they try, they can't replicate the success of a game. They want success?: Make a game of your own that will get the attention of the audience and not a carbon copy of a formula already being used in a saturated market.

    I also disregard the thought of JRPG male characters being girly crybabies. Where are they getting this ridiculous idea?.







  29. #23
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    707
    Rep Power
    64
    Points
    2,650 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    I believe that Raccoon City was aiming to take some of the Call of Duty audience. But no matter how much they try, they can't replicate the success of a game. They want success?: Make a game of your own that will get the attention of the audience and not a carbon copy of a formula already being used in a saturated market.

    I also disregard the thought of JRPG male characters being girly crybabies. Where are they getting this ridiculous idea?.
    Because most male JRPG characters aren't giant muscle-bound roid ragers like many characters in western games. If you take a look at Japanese games designed to appeal to western audiences, they design their main character in that way.

    In fact, most male JRPG characters (at least the main ones) are oftentimes adolescents or very young adults who just haven't had the time and inclination to bulk up yet. And since most of them are adolescent, their hormones are going crazy, making them very emotional, which is what happens during the teenage years. For some of us, this is simply one area where the Japanese are paying attention to minute details. For others, the character is just a whiney girly-man.
    Shinei!

  30. Likes AaronSOLDIER , Equinoqs likes this post
  31. #24
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,757
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    74,742 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I hate JRPGs (except FFX) so I agree. I enjoy WRPGs alot more. JRPGs this gen have been mostly crap imo.
    Yep. Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc. Nothing out of Japan has even come close.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  32. #25
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,854
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    71,238 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Demon's Souls.

    Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

  33. Likes Equinoqs likes this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.