Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Racial Profiling

With cases such as the Treyvon Martin case and the case in which two white guys, one Jewish, beat up a black teenager, what are your thoughts on "racial profiling"? Do you think that it's not a bad thing? Do you think it is a bad thing? If you saw a group of black guys with sagging pants coming your way, how would you feel?

My thoughts on racial profiling are both good and bad. The thing about racial profiling and a statement like "he's black and he owns a $30,000 car but live with his mother, hmmm . . ." is it's not such a bad thing. Like that statement above, when a police sees that and stops him and finds drugs in his car, then slaps the handcups on him. Now, let the police officer or the county police do that to 9 out of 10 guys like that and find drugs in their cars. It's not such a bad thing, because the police in the county know this person, they know they live with their mother or have no job and through a checkpoint they stop him and do a search and find drugs. In other words, in that case I guess I'm saying it's more probable cause than racial profiling.

Now, here's the bad thing about racial profiling. Say we have a black guy who goes over the speed limit by 3 mph. He's a college student, wears glasses, dresses nicely and everything. Instead of the cop letting it go when he sees him going 58 mph on the speed meter, he stops him and gives him a ticket while other folks that aren't black males go by 70 mph. Was that really necessary? What I'm trying to say here, is yes he is going over the speed limit, but why not stop the ones going 70 mph?

I guess what I am saying is that there is a difference between probable cause and racial profiling. I think the second case is racial profiling while the first is probable cause.

What are your thoughts?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    It can be both good and bad, but it will always exist because the second you see someone you're judging them whether you realize it or not.

Unbound Mercenary
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Police have the right to racial profile. If anyone $#@!es about, $#@! them.

That why America is so full of Illegal Immigrants, because police don't racially profile people that look Hispanic.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Friendship is Carrots
    The argument is where do we draw the line between fair treatment of individuals and active means of finding criminals. Profiling in general has been shown to be typically effective. If you're looking for an immigrant from Mexican, the ragged Mexican-looking guy is obviously much more of a suspect than a white or black guy who happen to be nearby. If you have word of drugs being traded or sold in an area, then the hispanic and black guys might be more suspect, unless their attire leads to an otherwise presumption. There's a reason why we're naturally built to judge character on certain visual traits.

That said, I don't like it when it comes to things like law enforcement because I disagree with certain laws (such as drug control), so I deem the profiling entirely unnecessary and wrong to begin with. But that's for another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    If you saw a group of black guys with sagging pants coming your way, how would you feel?
    It depends on how they're walking and talking, where I am, and what time of day it is. If I'm at the college and it's 1pm, then I just walk past them. If it's 1am and I'm in the middle of empty town, and they're looking at each other and at me while approaching, then of course I may be on edge. It entirely depends on the situation.

Now, here's the bad thing about racial profiling. Say we have a black guy who goes over the speed limit by 3 mph. He's a college student, wears glasses, dresses nicely and everything. Instead of the cop letting it go when he sees him going 58 mph on the speed meter, he stops him and gives him a ticket while other folks that aren't black males go by 70 mph. Was that really necessary? What I'm trying to say here, is yes he is going over the speed limit, but why not stop the ones going 70 mph?
    Sounds like an officer is a racist, or maybe it was only then he decided to act and it happened to be a black man.

I guess what I am saying is that there is a difference between probable cause and racial profiling. I think the second case is racial profiling while the first is probable cause.
    I agree. The general action may be the same, but the intentions are different.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

5. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Its just the way it is, we shouldn't do it but we do.
    There is always a way certain scallywags dress, for a while round here it was Rockport and stripy jumper with trackies/sweatpants we all know they are up to no good and so do the cops.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    was about to troll with racist comment until i realised the level of racism my never to be written racist comment actually was.
    so i settle for trolling language instead

truth be told it doesn't bother me.
    the profile doesn't just magically enter someones mind, however, it's influenced in some way. often deriving from those who get racially abused.

police officers have a hard job. if you come into contact with a particular type of person on a regular basis then you're more inclined to single them out. as your knowledge of 'other' people isn't as big.

its a slippery slope, steeped in metaphysical nonsense!
    on the bright side, everyone gets profiled
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Heres the thing with any kind of profile.

Ask yourself how do these profiles get created? Answer they are created based on the people CAUGHT committing these crimes. What about all the people we do not catch? We do not have a profile for them. It is like cops patrolling acertain HW, pulling over cheap cars and busting them for drugs, boasting how much they have caught, yet their town still has a drug problem.

If I put the idea in your head that cops pull over more white cars than any other color that is all you will NOTICE. All the white cars being pulled over and not the others. Thats another reason why profiling doesn't really work because we look for things and evidence to support a theory and sure enough we can find it.

profiles change. People in America forget the profile of a terrorist pre 911 was a paramilitary WHITE MALE.

The only way we could build a solid profile is to see very person doing the crime, which of course is impossible. So long as we have profiles of course it will seem to work because we can be like "see told you so" when we catch someone fitting the profile.

I am also a bit offended in your op you mention two incident where black people where victims. What about all those black people who beat and striped a drunk white guy naked? Where is the media outrage with that? What about the white guy who was set on fire by two black people? Racial profiling may exist, but no where near the amount the media and radical groups will have you believe. Racial profiling goes both ways to.

Also ask yourself this, you ever told a story about a person, maybe a friend, then tell a story about an incident and suddenly say "this [insert race here] kid/person". Sure they may be that race, but when you where talking about one of your friends why did you not mention their race in the happy story?
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Heres the thing with any kind of profile.

Ask yourself how do these profiles get created? Answer they are created based on the people CAUGHT committing these crimes. What about all the people we do not catch? We do not have a profile for them. It is like cops patrolling acertain HW, pulling over cheap cars and busting them for drugs, boasting how much they have caught, yet their town still has a drug problem.

If I put the idea in your head that cops pull over more white cars than any other color that is all you will NOTICE. All the white cars being pulled over and not the others. Thats another reason why profiling doesn't really work because we look for things and evidence to support a theory and sure enough we can find it.

profiles change. People in America forget the profile of a terrorist pre 911 was a paramilitary WHITE MALE.

The only way we could build a solid profile is to see very person doing the crime, which of course is impossible. So long as we have profiles of course it will seem to work because we can be like "see told you so" when we catch someone fitting the profile.

I am also a bit offended in your op you mention two incident where black people where victims. What about all those black people who beat and striped a drunk white guy naked? Where is the media outrage with that? What about the white guy who was set on fire by two black people? Racial profiling may exist, but no where near the amount the media and radical groups will have you believe. Racial profiling goes both ways to.

Also ask yourself this, you ever told a story about a person, maybe a friend, then tell a story about an incident and suddenly say "this [insert race here] kid/person". Sure they may be that race, but when you where talking about one of your friends why did you not mention their race in the happy story?

I am sorry, I apologize and NEVER EVER meant to offend you or anyone. It's just examples, and I hope I never implied that black people are the only ones racially profiled. I am truly sorry about that.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Sage
    Seems to work for the Israelis.....

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Police have the right to racial profile. If anyone $#@!es about, $#@! them.

That why America is so full of Illegal Immigrants, because police don't racially profile people that look Hispanic.
    lolwut?

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    it's useful. or it could be if used the right way. but when you go ahead and stop James Hetfield for having a "taliban like beard" you're just being a retard

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Thread Information