Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

    Racial Profiling

    With cases such as the Treyvon Martin case and the case in which two white guys, one Jewish, beat up a black teenager, what are your thoughts on "racial profiling"? Do you think that it's not a bad thing? Do you think it is a bad thing? If you saw a group of black guys with sagging pants coming your way, how would you feel?

    My thoughts on racial profiling are both good and bad. The thing about racial profiling and a statement like "he's black and he owns a $30,000 car but live with his mother, hmmm . . ." is it's not such a bad thing. Like that statement above, when a police sees that and stops him and finds drugs in his car, then slaps the handcups on him. Now, let the police officer or the county police do that to 9 out of 10 guys like that and find drugs in their cars. It's not such a bad thing, because the police in the county know this person, they know they live with their mother or have no job and through a checkpoint they stop him and do a search and find drugs. In other words, in that case I guess I'm saying it's more probable cause than racial profiling.

    Now, here's the bad thing about racial profiling. Say we have a black guy who goes over the speed limit by 3 mph. He's a college student, wears glasses, dresses nicely and everything. Instead of the cop letting it go when he sees him going 58 mph on the speed meter, he stops him and gives him a ticket while other folks that aren't black males go by 70 mph. Was that really necessary? What I'm trying to say here, is yes he is going over the speed limit, but why not stop the ones going 70 mph?

    I guess what I am saying is that there is a difference between probable cause and racial profiling. I think the second case is racial profiling while the first is probable cause.

    What are your thoughts?

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  2. #2

    Royals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    PSN ID
    Royals26
    Age
    20
    Posts
    4,007
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    1,117 (453 Banked)
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    It can be both good and bad, but it will always exist because the second you see someone you're judging them whether you realize it or not.

  3. #3
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,248
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    475,583 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Police have the right to racial profile. If anyone $#@!es about, $#@! them.

    That why America is so full of Illegal Immigrants, because police don't racially profile people that look Hispanic.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  4. #4
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    21
    Posts
    15,554
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    77,963 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The argument is where do we draw the line between fair treatment of individuals and active means of finding criminals. Profiling in general has been shown to be typically effective. If you're looking for an immigrant from Mexican, the ragged Mexican-looking guy is obviously much more of a suspect than a white or black guy who happen to be nearby. If you have word of drugs being traded or sold in an area, then the hispanic and black guys might be more suspect, unless their attire leads to an otherwise presumption. There's a reason why we're naturally built to judge character on certain visual traits.

    That said, I don't like it when it comes to things like law enforcement because I disagree with certain laws (such as drug control), so I deem the profiling entirely unnecessary and wrong to begin with. But that's for another topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    If you saw a group of black guys with sagging pants coming your way, how would you feel?
    It depends on how they're walking and talking, where I am, and what time of day it is. If I'm at the college and it's 1pm, then I just walk past them. If it's 1am and I'm in the middle of empty town, and they're looking at each other and at me while approaching, then of course I may be on edge. It entirely depends on the situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Now, here's the bad thing about racial profiling. Say we have a black guy who goes over the speed limit by 3 mph. He's a college student, wears glasses, dresses nicely and everything. Instead of the cop letting it go when he sees him going 58 mph on the speed meter, he stops him and gives him a ticket while other folks that aren't black males go by 70 mph. Was that really necessary? What I'm trying to say here, is yes he is going over the speed limit, but why not stop the ones going 70 mph?
    Sounds like an officer is a racist, or maybe it was only then he decided to act and it happened to be a black man.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I guess what I am saying is that there is a difference between probable cause and racial profiling. I think the second case is racial profiling while the first is probable cause.
    I agree. The general action may be the same, but the intentions are different.
    Add me on Steam!


    [Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

  5. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
  6. #5
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,532
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    58,057 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Its just the way it is, we shouldn't do it but we do.
    There is always a way certain scallywags dress, for a while round here it was Rockport and stripy jumper with trackies/sweatpants we all know they are up to no good and so do the cops.

  7. #6
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,385
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    263,913 (888 Banked)
    was about to troll with racist comment until i realised the level of racism my never to be written racist comment actually was.
    so i settle for trolling language instead


    truth be told it doesn't bother me.
    the profile doesn't just magically enter someones mind, however, it's influenced in some way. often deriving from those who get racially abused.

    police officers have a hard job. if you come into contact with a particular type of person on a regular basis then you're more inclined to single them out. as your knowledge of 'other' people isn't as big.

    its a slippery slope, steeped in metaphysical nonsense!
    on the bright side, everyone gets profiled
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  8. #7
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7,963
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    14,495 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Heres the thing with any kind of profile.

    Ask yourself how do these profiles get created? Answer they are created based on the people CAUGHT committing these crimes. What about all the people we do not catch? We do not have a profile for them. It is like cops patrolling acertain HW, pulling over cheap cars and busting them for drugs, boasting how much they have caught, yet their town still has a drug problem.

    If I put the idea in your head that cops pull over more white cars than any other color that is all you will NOTICE. All the white cars being pulled over and not the others. Thats another reason why profiling doesn't really work because we look for things and evidence to support a theory and sure enough we can find it.

    profiles change. People in America forget the profile of a terrorist pre 911 was a paramilitary WHITE MALE.

    The only way we could build a solid profile is to see very person doing the crime, which of course is impossible. So long as we have profiles of course it will seem to work because we can be like "see told you so" when we catch someone fitting the profile.


    I am also a bit offended in your op you mention two incident where black people where victims. What about all those black people who beat and striped a drunk white guy naked? Where is the media outrage with that? What about the white guy who was set on fire by two black people? Racial profiling may exist, but no where near the amount the media and radical groups will have you believe. Racial profiling goes both ways to.

    Also ask yourself this, you ever told a story about a person, maybe a friend, then tell a story about an incident and suddenly say "this [insert race here] kid/person". Sure they may be that race, but when you where talking about one of your friends why did you not mention their race in the happy story?
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,




  9. #8
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Heres the thing with any kind of profile.

    Ask yourself how do these profiles get created? Answer they are created based on the people CAUGHT committing these crimes. What about all the people we do not catch? We do not have a profile for them. It is like cops patrolling acertain HW, pulling over cheap cars and busting them for drugs, boasting how much they have caught, yet their town still has a drug problem.

    If I put the idea in your head that cops pull over more white cars than any other color that is all you will NOTICE. All the white cars being pulled over and not the others. Thats another reason why profiling doesn't really work because we look for things and evidence to support a theory and sure enough we can find it.

    profiles change. People in America forget the profile of a terrorist pre 911 was a paramilitary WHITE MALE.

    The only way we could build a solid profile is to see very person doing the crime, which of course is impossible. So long as we have profiles of course it will seem to work because we can be like "see told you so" when we catch someone fitting the profile.


    I am also a bit offended in your op you mention two incident where black people where victims. What about all those black people who beat and striped a drunk white guy naked? Where is the media outrage with that? What about the white guy who was set on fire by two black people? Racial profiling may exist, but no where near the amount the media and radical groups will have you believe. Racial profiling goes both ways to.

    Also ask yourself this, you ever told a story about a person, maybe a friend, then tell a story about an incident and suddenly say "this [insert race here] kid/person". Sure they may be that race, but when you where talking about one of your friends why did you not mention their race in the happy story?

    I am sorry, I apologize and NEVER EVER meant to offend you or anyone. It's just examples, and I hope I never implied that black people are the only ones racially profiled. I am truly sorry about that.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  10. #9
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,981
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    42,781 (0 Banked)
    Seems to work for the Israelis.....

  11. #10
    Forum Elder
    $Greatness$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Posts
    2,924
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    25,927 (5,000 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Police have the right to racial profile. If anyone $#@!es about, $#@! them.

    That why America is so full of Illegal Immigrants, because police don't racially profile people that look Hispanic.
    lolwut?


    $Greatness$ Awaits™


  12. #11
    Master Guru
    Funeralfog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Camas, Washington USA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,543
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    2,180 (0 Banked)
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    it's useful. or it could be if used the right way. but when you go ahead and stop James Hetfield for having a "taliban like beard" you're just being a retard


    Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.