Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

[UPDATE] Microsoft (Xbox) vs Motorola

Original Post

Update:
    Motorola wins Xbox and Windows 7 ban in Germany

Microsoft could be forced to recall and destroy its products if Motorola enforces the injunction

Motorola Mobility has been granted an injunction against the distribution of key Microsoft products in Germany.

The sales ban covers the Xbox 360 games console, Windows 7 system software, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.
    It follows a ruling that Microsoft had infringed two patents necessary to offer H.264 video coding and playback.
    A US court has banned Motorola from enforcing the action until it considers the matter next week.
    The handset maker is in the process of being taken over by Google.

Appeal

This is just one of several cases involving about 50 intellectual properties that the smartphone maker has claimed that Microsoft should have licensed.

Microsoft has said that if it met all of Motorola's demands it would face an annual bill of $4bn (£2.5bn). Motorola disputes the figure.
    A statement from Motorola said: "We are pleased that the Mannheim Court found that Microsoft products infringe Motorola Mobility's intellectual property. As a path forward, we remain open to resolving this matter. Fair compensation is all that we have been seeking for our intellectual property."

Microsoft said it planned to appeal the German ruling.
    "This is one step in a long process, and we are confident that Motorola will eventually be held to its promise to make its standard essential patents available on fair and reasonable terms for the benefit of consumers who enjoy video on the web," a spokesman said.
    "Motorola is prohibited from acting on today's decision, and our business in Germany will continue as usual while we appeal this decision and pursue the fundamental issue of Motorola's broken promise."

Source
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 05-02-2012 at 18:04. Reason: Update
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Yikes...$4bn is a LOT of money.

Elite Member

This patent stuff is out of control. Apple and Samsung are three biggest offenders but Motorola, Sony and MS have been in some battles as well. They are use each others technology so why not call it a wash.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Not jsut xbox windows uses h264 its in ie9 as well as the media player maybe even some windows phones.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Microsoft could be forced to recall and destroy its products if Motorola enforces the injunction
    Europe seems to be getting worse for Microsoft. even more so if Motorola enforce the ruling
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Poor ol' Germany. The majority of videos on youtube are banned too due to infringement. Motorola are getting a bit out of hand with their copyright protection.
    Last edited by Natalie88; 05-02-2012 at 14:18.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    The patent laws are so out of control, they should really be fixing that.

Really sucks for Microsoft but i guess they should have known if they were infringing a patent.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie88 View Post
    Poor ol' Germany. The majority of videos on youtube are banned too due to infringement. Suxx to be them!
    Not just Germany. Motorola could have the right to stop imports of xbox 360's into america. the US courts will review the matter next week.
    i doubt they'd do it however, they dont compete with them for anything. odds are they just want some monies coz samsung been stealing all theirs
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Not the first time stuff like this has happened and won't be the last. I'm sure MS will be fine regardless of how this ends. Now we know why MS bought Canesta.

Forum Sage

This is what happens when corporations lobby for "god-given forever and ever rights" in regards to patents and copyright laws. They have no one to blame but themselves. Microsoft is no exception to this either. I think what's in order is a complete rework and reboot of the patent and copyright systems. Corporations should not have full "god-given forever and ever rights" to their patents and copyrights for more than a two year span.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Xbox 360 Now Banned In Germany

According to the BBC, the Xbox 360 has been banned in Germany – at least in theory – although it’s unlikely anything will happen immediately, and Microsoft are obviously to appeal.
    The site says that an injunction against the distribution of certain Microsoft products in Germany was just granted to Motorola Mobility.
    “The sales ban covers the Xbox 360 games console, Windows 7 system software, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player,” it says, citing two alleged patent infringements that are needed to offer H.264 video playback.
    “A US court has banned Motorola from enforcing the action until it considers the matter next week,” the BBC goes on to say.
    “Motorola is prohibited from acting on today’s decision, and our business in Germany will continue as usual while we appeal this decision and pursue the fundamental issue of Motorola’s broken promise,” said a spokesperson for Microsoft.
    More here.
    http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/05/...ed-in-germany/

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    This is what happens when corporations lobby for "god-given forever and ever rights" in regards to patents and copyright laws. They have no one to blame but themselves. Microsoft is no exception to this either. I think what's in order is a complete rework and reboot of the patent and copyright systems. Corporations should not have full "god-given forever and ever rights" to their patents and copyrights for more than a two year span.
    Playing devil's advocate, what incentive is there to create new ideas if you can just use everyone else's?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    will it could have been worse
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Dyack View Post
    Playing devil's advocate, what incentive is there to create new ideas if you can just use everyone else's?

The idea is to allow corporations a set amount of time to profit infinitely off ideas. The incentive for corporations? Look for and hire people that have the creative capacity. There is no need for "god-given forever and ever" patent and copyright laws and rights. In all actuality, the system is rigged to stifle creativity.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    The idea is to allow corporations a set amount of time to profit infinitely off ideas. The incentive for corporations? Look for and hire people that have the creative capacity. There is no need for "god-given forever and ever" patent and copyright laws and rights. In all actuality, the system is rigged to stifle creativity.
    patents do have a time limits.....as far as im aware (the rules vary from county to country however)
    more to the point, a patent can also be bought.

as for this creativity thing.....the "original" design for the telephone was made by a Scotsman (a man from Scotland) not Bell. i bet he wishes there was a patent system. im sure Goodyear got up to some nefarious deeds with rubber also though i forget what exactly.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Elite Member

I can tell you from first hand experience with patents that if the incentive isn't great enough then companies won't dump money into R & D.

If I invent something, it belongs to me. Why should someone else ever be able to use MY idea without compensation.

I bet if you dumped years of work and cash into an idea, you wouldn't want people taking it and using it without any compensation. I know I wouldn't.

I agree something needs to be done, but within reason. You can't take and use what doesn't belong to you. That is theft.

17. Likes LfCpS3, Ghost likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Well, you can't feel bad for them. I sure don't.

You cheat and cut corners and eventually you get burned. Although frankly this is more of a pimple on their ass than anything really serious.

19. Likes AaronSOLDIER , Nitey likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Sucks if true. They have been doing so well in Europe too. Hopefully they get it worked out.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    This reminds me of that LG vs Sony fiasco awhile back.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Dyack View Post
    I can tell you from first hand experience with patents that if the incentive isn't great enough then companies won't dump money into R & D.

If I invent something, it belongs to me. Why should someone else ever be able to use MY idea without compensation.

I bet if you dumped years of work and cash into an idea, you wouldn't want people taking it and using it without any compensation. I know I wouldn't.

I agree something needs to be done, but within reason. You can't take and use what doesn't belong to you. That is theft.

the point is that patents are so superficial these days.

take apple's patent on 'swiping to unlock'. really? no one had EVER had the idea of moving their finger on a screen to interact with it? and should you even be able to patent an action like that? how much r&d costs did they realistically sink into that one idea?

most patents end up being so arbitrary they end up stifling rather than promoting creativity.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

23. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Super Elite
    Where there's blame there's a claim comes to mind.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    lol at MS' defense.

i think i'm going to try that one.

"but if i bought all my music LOOK at how much it would cost me"

(i really don't feel much sympathy for them, although to be fair MS are one of the more sensible companies when it comes to copyright infrigement of users)
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

26. Likes Ezekiel, Fijiandoce likes this post

Thread Information