Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Master Poster
    I'm sure this will turn out fine. There is always the option of using 24p if the 48p doesn't work. By the way guys, 120Hz != trumotion or any of the post processing you can turn on with your TV. 120Hz TVs take a 60Hz signal and replicates it to 120 Hz. True 120Hz tvs can take a pure 120Hz signal. Turning on TruMotion or whatever the other companies call their post processing soap opera effect is not turning on 120Hz.
    Last edited by ex nihilo7; 04-26-2012 at 00:07.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Just keep in mind that much of the aspects were unfinished, such as the film being ungraded. Some viewers also said the framerate would have been easier to get into if they showed full scenes, instead of constantly cutting to something different. All I know is that I'm interested to see this now. lol
    Which is why trailers and TV spots will be standard 24p (if they're even remotely smart). Also, objective speaking, we won't have an accurate account of how it works till the full movie is screened in November/December (unless there's some early screening somewhere).

However, this is not the first time something with a story has had more than the standard 24 framerate. Live TV for one... and that in itself would absolutely look weird. 30 Rock did a live show and thank God it's comedy, it felt like an SNL skit.

So with that said, I'm definitely reserved to how successful this might be. On paper and in PR (i.e. James Cameron), the whole "more real" thing sounds good and engrossing but that's no different than a video game developer spouting about their game. We all prefer to see it first hand in those cases rather than buying into wording/hype.

Forum Guru
    All I know is if it truly makes it look like any of the AMP/Trumotion/smoothing whatever....I will hate it. As soon as I see that crap on someone's TV I want to turn it off.

Sent from my HTC Rezound on Tapatalk 2

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Mac_1 View Post
    All I know is if it truly makes it look like any of the AMP/Trumotion/smoothing whatever....I will hate it. As soon as I see that crap on someone's TV I want to turn it off.
    It doesn't.
    Here's small video which shows difference between 24fps with 180 degree shutter and 48fps with 270 degree shutter.
    Motion blur is not quite as long and temporal resolution is doubled, just as in hobbit.

(mirrors)
    http://pub.lv-up.net/basement_red_fps.zip
    http://maximum-attack.com/basement_red_fps.zip
    http://ge.tt/9GEgaqG/v/0?c

48fps brings more small details in object movement and in general is smoother.
    This should be very good thing in a 3D movie like the Hobbit.
    Last edited by jlippone; 04-26-2012 at 12:03.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

5. Likes MjW likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    It doesn't.
    Here's small video which shows difference between 24fps with 180 degree shutter and 48fps with 270 degree shutter.
    Motion blur is not quite as long and temporal resolution is doubled, just as in hobbit.

(mirrors)
    http://pub.lv-up.net/basement_red_fps.zip
    http://maximum-attack.com/basement_red_fps.zip
    http://ge.tt/9GEgaqG/v/0?c

I can see 48p+ benefiting 3D. Don't know about the rest until I see the movie.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    I hate the high frames for 120hz TV and over, its good for sports but that is about it, for movies it looks very unnatural.

I guess time will tell if this is a positive change or not.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    This doesn't have any dialogue or much interactions short of basic movement, so it's not a good example but I can see how certain things do feel sped up.

I can tell it's going to be off putting at the beginning of the movie. Question is whether it'll be enjoyable by the end or not.

Thread Information