PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

EA Caught Red-Handed In Damage Control Attempt

EA Caught Red-Handed In Damage Control Attempt

Author: William Usher

published: 2012-04-24

We all know EA likes to try to keep their slate clean. We all know that those boot-kickers wipe the grease off the floor wherever they go. Well, this time they got caught in the act of attempting to "damage control" the words of one of their employees.

Just recently Dead Space story creator Chuck Beaver, a member of the EA subsidiary Visceral Games, let loose some harsh words about Epic Games' third-person shooter franchise, Gears of War, saying...
    "Story can only ruin a game for those people who care about story, so it's a conditional answer. For instance, Gears of War. It contains atrocious, offensive violations of story basics. Yet it doesn't seem to ruin it for many, many people. It's literally the worst writing in games, but seems to have no ill effects."
    The link in the story we ran here on Gaming Blend has since been erased as if it never existed. In its place is a new, "rectified" comment from Beaver that the PR sent out, which we covered here on Gaming Blend earlier, where he allegedly issues a PR safe response, saying...
    I just wanted to jump in and clarify some of my comments that were taken out of context about Gears of War. First, let me say that Im a huge fan. It is an epic franchise that has trail-blazed more than a few industry-leading player experiences and mechanics. It is deservedly recognized as a top-tier title. Its success as a property is evidenced by its giant sales and rabid fan base. The industry is far better for Epics contributions, and we all owe a great deal of inspiration to their work.
    Eh, yes well that doesn't absolve Gears of War from its simplistic and low-brow storytelling mechanics. While Beaver's original post was harsh and curt, it was at least authentic and realistic...or more importantly, honest.

The second statement from Beaver is riddled with corrected PR doublespeak. Like saying "First, let me say that I'm a huge fan"...only people making politically correct statements under the watchful eye of a PR rep starts off saying something like that.

Another thing, I don't even think Beaver even wanted to write part of it -- wild speculation on my part -- but this comment here, "Its success as a property is evidenced by its giant sales and rabid fan base.", dude seriously? That's corporate marketing spiel right there. No gamer or someone speaking honestly makes a statement like that. What does "giant sales" and "rabid fan base" have to do with storytelling? Again, PR spiel used as damage control for Beaver's previous statements. Glossing over the fact that Gears of Wars storytelling, while I wouldn't say atrocious, is about equivalent to a 14-year old boy's fantasy action universe.

Anyways, the corrected statements weren't even exclusive to IGN the way we've been led to believe (and I'm doubting they're actually from Beaver himself). They were originally sent from publicist Melissa Ojeda out of EA's California offices with the general quote, allegedly from Chuck, tacked on in an e-mail with a request to update the story because Beaver's comments were, as quoted from Ojeda herself...
    Over the weekend, you posted an article LINK about the story dev on Dead Space 2, Chuck Beaver that seemed to be taken out of context. Can you please update your story with the below quote from Chuck?
    What's worse is that the statement is just a PR friendly "correction" with no official endorsement from Beaver himself. How do we even know Beaver wanted to correct his statements? The whole thing reeks of EA muscling in a PR safe agenda for the whole situation in an attempt to quell openness and transparency. Quite a shame really.

Of course, EA has not responded to IGN or anyone else for that matter to further clarify anything regarding this matter. Much like the day-one DLC debacle with Mass Effect 3, the layoff rumors, the Child's Play campaign, Origin's account policy update and everything else in between, this will fade into the digital ethers of the yesterdays only to never be spoken of again.

However...there's always this article here proving that EA was caught red-handed trying to run damage control over what an employee said. I say let the transparency hang loose, let it hang out, let it jiggle and dangle in front of everybody for everyone to see...there's no shame in it, really.
    Link:http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-...mpt-41768.html

Has E.A not learnt their lesson
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Any company would do that.

Move on.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Is EA wrong though? Gears does have pretty weak story.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Agreed. The story isn't good but I can say the same for many, many shooters. I think their attempt at damage control was weak and the writer should have stayed true to his opinion.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    EA, are people, your employees, not allowed their own opinions anymore?

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    EA, are people, your employees, not allowed their own opinions anymore?
    Apparently not. Guess it's just business. It's funny because everyone knows what Chuck Beaver's real stance towards another companies' game. The second quote, riddled with PR talk just makes me laugh. Yeah, I bet he's a "huge fan"

Elite Member
    Gears of War's story is at least better than Dead Space's. There were some parts that really hit me hard in the Gears story.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Super Elite
    They are right to have their opinions, but I could make a list about EA and their antics.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Any company would do that

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    The dude didn't have to name drop though, he could have simply made the same statement without naming a game but just imply that there are some popular games out there that have a crap story. His original statement to me makes him come across like he has some sort of beef with Epic and that he is the authorty on video game story creaton.

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Super Elite
    Haven't played Geow 3 yet and haven't played either dead space properly but he was honest from what I have played, Geow 2 tried to start a story but... well they tried hard I guess. Not sure if Geow 3 made good though
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Well it does not make them any smarter for their dumb actions. Just like any company, the actions always speak for themselves
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information