Page 1 of 11 1 ... LastLast
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style

Official: Dragons Dogma Thread

DARK ARISEN

This re-release of the game has massive changes. They can be found http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman...nge-log-within and http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/D...a:_Dark_Arisen

This is a fantastic game and I can not wait to play through the new area which is suppose to be 15-20 hours(more for us gear hunters, get ready to stab yourself all over again lol). Below I have provided a small guide to help people who are new to game, or maybe those still confused. These are all based on my experience in dumping over 600 hours into the game.

Yuuichis Guide to Dragon’s Dogma
    Bellow I have listed some tips and tricks from my over 300 hours in Grand Soren. Obviously the higher level you get the easier the game is, so some tips and trick will become obsolete. This is made to help those of you venturing into Gran Soren for the first time, or maybe even help with a few questions.

-Sorcerer Pawns are overall not very good
    This is to not say they absolutely suck. In fact against giant mobs, early levels and some bosses they are great. However it has been my experience that walking around Grand Soren your average fights they tend to not do much. Sure if they get off a Mealstorm it is juicy goodness, but overall they spend more time attempting to cast, moving, and then attempting to cast again without casting anything. If you insist on using one get one that just has Maelstorm and/or Miasma as its big cast while filling the rest with small cast times such as Levin. Voidspell is a must!!
    -Nexus, Acquisition inclines SUCK!!!
    Nexus................. Supports other pawns in the party
    Acquisitor ................. Gathers items frequently
    These Suck. Do not ever ever ever use them. Avoid Pawns with these combos. They make the already not so stellar AI even less so. Often with Acquitters they will leave the fight to go off somewhere.
    -Guardian, Medicant inclines are not the must have for every role
    Medicant............. Heals often and avoids direct combat
    Guardian................. Protects the hero first and foremost
    Seriously I am shocked seeing non healing type pawns with this combo. If your pawn is not a healer do not use this combo. Guardian seems good for other roles, but in fact this pawn will stick to your ass. This means if you are range and want to shoot mobs far away a pawn with this as a tank will stand right beside you bringing the mobs to you and will follow you. Strangely a healer pawn will stay back even if you are tank with this combo mostly due to long range magic.
    -Mitigator, Challenger, Unitarian, Scather, Pioneer your go to for non-healers
    Scather................. Tends to rush into battles headfirst against strong enemies
    Mitigator................. Attacks weak enemies first
    Challenger................. Attacks strong enemies first
    Utilitarian................. Uses a wide array of skills
    Pioneer................. Scouts away from the party

Here are your bread and butter inclines for combat pawns. While the others are self-explanatory, Utilitarian means it will use more than a few skills. So a tank will shield summon more, and combat ones will even hold enemies more often giving you a chance to attack. It is a good one to have. Pioneer is great for Striders and Rangers because the often get to the fight first and have faster react time with bow skills.
    -Inclines change often
    Watch your pawn. It may have an incline combo you want but depending on a variety of things it will change. The biggest way it will change is how often you use the dpad commands. Telling them to go will often put Pioneer as main incline. Thankfully at the Encampment there is a guy that sells potion to change your pawns incline to whatever you want. You can also sit at a pawn chair in varies places and talk to your pawn giving them orders. Rental pawns inclines do not change.
    -Asalam should never be your love interest
    I will not go into much detail, but if you see pink around this guy’s head and hear the chime, drop his affinity. To do this draw your weapons, then sheath them, and repeat till you hear sound his affinity is lowered.
    - Dark boon, Lighting boom SUCK
    Yep these weapon enchantments done by mages suck. Do not waste your time getting them. I hate having pawns with them because they often do more harm than good. Nothing like getting ice boon against a mob who is ice element. Stick to Fire and Holy.
    -Higher level pawns do not hurt xp
    That’s right you could hire a max level pawn and not see one dip in your xp. So go ahead spend the extra rift crystals and get someone higher level. This is best way if you find game difficult.
    -Compliment your class
    Dragon’s Dogma has 9 total classes. Use ones that complement each other to unlock augments that will make your character strong. I like to compliment my Strider with Ranger and Assassin. Mages, Scorers, and magick archer, mystic knight complement each other well.
    -Worry about your own pawns gear
    Never equip a rental pawn with gear. You will lose it.
    -Rental Pawns do not level with you
    IF you get a level 19 pawn they will always be that. Once you pass their level get a new one.
    -Check those pawns skills/inclines
    Sure you may see a pawn that looks badass but check what skills they have and inclines. Many skills are useless, and many pawns have terrible inclines. It may take a while to find a good one, but it is worth it.
    -Save often
    You never know what is coming up and will often die. Save often because there is no restart from last battle.
    -Curitives
    You take permanent damage in the game that does not go away until you rest. Curatives can heal this damage so when exploring bring some.
    -Your Lantern is your life line at night/Nights are tough
    Unlike other games were it is “night” but you still see clear as day you need a lantern. Nights are dark and hold monsters that may be too strong for your party at first. It is best to avoid nights until you gain higher levels.
    -Please PLEASE stop making your pawn a little kid in skimpy clothes
    Really I am just tired of seeing this. It is sick. Please do not do it.

Overall you will enjoy your time in Gran Soren. The combat is top notch, the story is so-so, but you have the time of your life. Now get out there and claim your destiny Arisen!!

Last edited by Yuuichi; 05-12-2013 at 17:51.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    AI was messy and chaotic. The battle mechanics are good and interesting since you can climb on top of larger monsters. This ability however became cheap when I fought the griffin since I just hung on to it and stabbed it repeatedly until it was down. It was hardly a challenge and the battle lasted in less then a minute.

I may need to play the full game for my full impression but so far, I'm not impressed(For reference, I was very impressed with the Kingdom of Amalur demo then this one - saying this since both games feel the same).

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GlassGun
    Items American DadDaft PunkScarlett JohanssonNaughty DogPS3 SlimLucy PinderFinal Fantasy VIIDark SoulsPS3 Fat
    I agree the AI's seemed a bit chaotic, hopefully there must be some sort of level up screen for them where you can set commands like Dragon Age? Yet I loved the mechanics of actually being able to jump and climb over things, finding new angles to attack hobgoblins and harpies.

I agree that it was very short :/ and the griffin fight was disappointing because all you had to do was grab on, where the lion/snake thing was abit more rough about and could throw you off.

The open field for bosses doesn't seem to make use of the ability to climb and attack from above / different angles.

Both the Lion/snake and griffin was a open space with no real places to pick a strategy from and you just run up to it and attack.

Still can't wait for the game though.

Current Signature Too Tall for Size Limits

60 Gig Sony Playstation 3 |Sony Bravia 52" LCD | 5.1 SS

Elite Member
    Yeah the AI bugged me. The graphics were also lousy. Overall I enjoyed it though. I imagine the game is a lot of fun to play co-op with friends.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Superior Member
    Items Dark Souls CoverPS3 Slim
    Like I said in a previous thread, I loved the demo. I've played it through 3 times now and the more I play it the more I love it. I really love the combat, especially when I played as a rouge in the griffin part. Probably will play as a Rouge with some magic powers, which is normally how I play my RPG's. I love climbing on the monsters, but I do agree that it does seem like the easy way to kill them and can be done pretty quickly that way. All the enemies were pretty easy actually but I'm sure the full game will have different difficulty levels. Just watching previews of the game on other sites, it does seem like the game can get really tough, especially at nighttime.

The character editor is pretty good, I didn't have a problem with it and was able to make a character how I wanted them. Actually I like that they've included a lot more options with the size of the character so you can make a kid, dwarf, or a really old person if you wanted. It's not just your typical tall heroic guy or girl. I enjoyed the look of the game. Graphics were alright in my opinion, may not be the best ever but it still looked good to me. What I really enjoy is that despite being more a western type game, it still has a Japanese game feel to it, kind of like with Demon's/Dark Souls. Obviously it's because it was a Japanese developed game, but after playing so much Skyrim and Reckoning, it's a nice change for me.

So overall I love the demo and I plan on getting it day one. I already have it preordered and I expect it to get solid reviews, hopefully anyways. The impressions that I have gotten from the previews I have seen though is that a lot of websites are pleasantly surprised by it. Either way, I'm can't wait to play it next month.

6. Likes Scrubs42 likes this post
    PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Cant wait till the full game, not a day one - but a day or two after so I can read reviews and userfeedback.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    gumi42
    I enjoyed the demo quite a bit even though it was very short. I was like most posters above me that though the Giffin battle was too easy, I was a few more hits away from beating him the first time but just running and grabbing onto him and holding on and just attacking. But then he flung me off of him and pecked me to death. So I tried it a second time but this time he didn't stay on the ground enough time for me to jump on, so I had to just keep firing arrows and watching for his dive attack. I wonder if it is just kinda luck to get the Griffin down on the ground for most of the battle. But most here seem to be able to beat it quickly.
    Still a day one purchase for me. I loved the combat kinda like DMC but about half as fast and the Warrior even has Dante's Stinger move. I can see what others were saying about the AI but these were computer generated pawns I think once we are using pawns that are created by real people and refined will make them better when we pull them into our game. I am also a sucker for RPG's with parties, so I might be a little biased. I wish I didn't have to wait a month to play the full game.
    Hard work never killed nobody but I ain't taking any chances

9. Likes Scrubs42 likes this post
    Elite Member
    One thing I forgot to mention is that I wish the demo showed off other aspects of the game besides combat. Does the game have dialogue, relationships, alchemy, jobs, etc.? I wouldn't know because both demo portions were battles.

Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

11. Likes Scrubs42 likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    this was probably the game i was waiting the most for along with GR:FS. But i really felt the demo lacking im not sure but i feel it wont give a impression of the full game otherwise it will be dissapointing. 1st of all the game feels rather chaotic from battle system to the aggresiveness of the AI to the conmstant AI dialogue melting in with the more important story dialogue, i for sure will turn that off in subtitles if i buy the full game, i also felt too often that i would rather just have at most 1 pawn/ally with me it just felt too messy when the 2 others joined in that dungeon demo. The camera would often zoom on them when they made a special move or something which really became annoying the more i fought.

As for the grabbing enemies thing it felt rather too random aswell due to enemy animations being far too quick and too much going around you at the same time because of allies, i never felt like it was a element to find a weak point to attack when grabbinbg them, it turned into just a button mashing when you had them and quickly became easy to kill off the chimera/griffon

I hope the full game will prove to be much better balanced and that the lvl 20 characters you had in the demo doesnt indicate the difficulty level in the full game but i really felt i needed to see some of the slow tempo aspects of the gameplay like wandering in that field/town

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    jvdarula
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Yeah the AI bugged me. The graphics were also lousy. Overall I enjoyed it though. I imagine the game is a lot of fun to play co-op with friends.

There is no co-op, only pawn sharing.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I have the game pre-ordered but I'm really not sure about it.

I played the demo but I can't decide if I like the game or not - if its something I'll just play half of, or finish but not really enjoy it.

One cool thing is I made characters that look pretty much exactly like my girlfriend and I, that was cool

15. Likes Scrubs42 likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GlassGun
    Items American DadDaft PunkScarlett JohanssonNaughty DogPS3 SlimLucy PinderFinal Fantasy VIIDark SoulsPS3 Fat
    I have to agree in that I would have liked to have seen town and character interaction, including bartering/skill training/quest turn-ins.

I also wonder if there will be load screens between landscapes (out of a town into wilderness) as one of the hints said when loading from main menu was that "Be careful, distant lights might not always be human" Which leads me to think you can walk towards them from a long distance without any loading screen interruption.

Also the character creator I do think is really in-depth as explained by DarkVincent

"You can change your pawn's personality," says Itsuno. "Say, if you're surrounded, do you want them to be gung-ho and go for the frontlines, or do you want them to hang back and [heal] or pick up items?" I made an aggressive Pawn to get in the thick of it while I covered from the rear. At one point, he made a run at the hydra boss and began climbing it on his own. That's an enthusiastic ally, right there.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1218905p1.html
    Last edited by Scrubs42; 05-05-2012 at 21:58.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style

First Dragons Dogma Review Score

EDGE gave the game 7/10.

Hopefully some scans will surface.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    That's a decent score from them.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    Don't know if i trust that score. According to them it was a step above Fable Heroes rated a 6 (Really?!?) and slightly worse than Prototype 2 rated an 8. Think i'll wait for user reviews, they're most accurate.
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    Game Informer gave it a: 8.5
    GamePro (German one) : 79%

http://thesilentchief.com/2012/05/04...-review-score/

Still although i enjoyed my 2nd go on the demo alot more the griffon fight was still rather easy, but playing the dungeon level with 1 pwn was def more satisfying imo, im still gonna wait to see some Twitch streams and user reviews before i decide on buying it anywhere release date though
    Last edited by GalapagosaraY; 05-05-2012 at 18:23.

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style

Dragon's Dogma - The Ur-Dragon Trailer

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GlassGun
    This looks interesting?
    Taken from PSU article...

You and your party of Pawns will take part in a world event to collectively eliminate this beast in an asynchronous encounter via PlayStation Network and Xbox Live. Your party’s attacks will be combined, but it will require multiple encounters to defeat Ur-Dragon.

If you deal the fatal blow you’ll be rewarded with some maximum loot, but regardless all players can still obtain common and rare drops when they inflict damage. Don’t want to play online? You can still fight Ur-Dragon alone, but the rewards will be different than those received online.

I need more details than this CapCom. What encounters this Dragon, and when will these be? Are they real-time events? Do I have to take part in every single event to kill it and reap rewards? Is every dragon individual to a player? (In reference to Online VS Alone) What if my Pawn Kills the Dragon?

Dug up some more info...
    A sort of leaderboard-esque, MMO-type boss grind feature has been announced for
    Dragon's Dogma, which is due out later this month. The feature is called a Ur-Dragon and it's an event mode that sees players fighting tooth-and-nail to reap some sweet rewards from the epic boss.

Capcom announced that the Ur-Dragon event mode will be included with the game, surprisingly not as DLC or disc-locked content (which to Capcom, is effectively the same thing). It sometimes boggles my mind how the company decides to do what they do to certain games while obviously nickel and diming gamers in other titles.

Anyways, Dragon's Dogma seems to be shaping up to be a really cool game and the Ur-Dragon event mode could make it that much better. The dragon boss is extremely difficult to beat and gamers will have to team up with other Pawns (or players) via Xbox Live or PSN to duke it out against the Ur-Dragon. Those who are successful will be rewarded with some rare gear and useful items, as well as have their name plastered all up over the leaderboard to let everyone know that they defeated a Ur-Dragon.

Now, for those of you who may seem a little peeved that the Ur-Dragon event mode is meant to be played online and you're not keen on playing online, well there's good news. Capcom was actually nice enough to allow offline gamers or solo-players to try their hand at the Ur-Dragon event mode, too. In an age riddled with grandiose DLC schemes, online passes and disc-locked content, I'm actually shocked this added mode is in the game without an additional surcharge or service fee. It's just so unlike Capcom.

Anyways, you can look for the Ur-Dragon event to launch with the game here in North America beginning May 22nd. The game is scheduled to launch in Japan on May 24th and in Europe on May 25th.

Source:
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Dra...her-42325.html

Seems to be 1 dragon at a time, attacked by multiple parties of player and 3 pawns/player and 3 players? Which ever player of a specific party kills that dragon will get a massive reward and I imagine other players who have attacked throughout it's life and completed their instance will receive rewards when they next reach an inn.

The intriguing part is no one party will be able to take it down upon their first encounter; it will take multiple battles to bring it down.
    It’s not all futile as each encounter allows opportunity for several items and rare drops. In layman terms it’s like I run in, do as much damage as possible, then the next group in the queue runs in and does what they can.

can I have more than 1 encounter for 1 dragon?
    Last edited by Scrubs42; 05-09-2012 at 23:50.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Gaddesreinhart
    Items PS3 FatVita
    Dragon fights done right if I do say so myself.
    Retired FFXI player. FFXIV player, Malboro Server.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    These pawns are NPC's ?! how did everyone find the Demo ?

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Ultimate Veteran

Dragon's Dogma launch trailer

I think I'll pass. I didn't really like the demo.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Once upon a time (6 months ago) I would have bought this outright. Nowadays I have chosen to be much more selective with my games. This will be bargain bin fodder one day. Will only be getting another 5 or 6 games this year, DD won't be one of 'em!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    jvdarula
    Pre-order paid in full.

28. Likes Scrubs42 likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Looks good, I tried the demo and felt the combat system is 100times better then WRPGs, but it did have its flaws
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    Played the demo & liked it but the combat was kinda weird. I'm thinking about it.

Shut up and play games

Thread Information