Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    IGN's take:

For the time being, Sony allowed SuperBot Entertainment to show-off six of the game's characters, and the cast represents a hodgepodge of PlayStation franchises. Fat Princess, Parappa the Rapper and Sly Cooper join the likes of Twisted Metal's Sweet Tooth, Killzone's Colonel Radec and God of War's Kratos on the preliminary roster, though Sony will reveal many more characters leading up to the game's launch, which should occur during the lead-up to 2012's holiday season.

Each character has his or her own combat style, which immediately becomes evident when you begin playing for yourself. Parappa the Rapper has strength at close range, where he can use his Chop Chop Master Onion-learned kung-fu stylings on his opponents. Colonel Radec, on the other hand, is almost entirely ineffective unless at a distance, relying on a plethora of Helghan firearms and pieces of technology from afar.

Sweet Tooth's considerable strength complements his brutal fighting style while Kratos' skill with his arsenal of weapons is obvious. But the two most interesting characters in this preliminary roster were undoubtedly Sly Cooper and Fat Princess. Sly Cooper's agility shines through almost immediately, and he has a special skill that no other character has. He forfeits his ability to block -- something every other character can do -- instead going invisible when the L1 button is held down. This allows him to sneakily slink around and get the jump on other characters. Fat Princess, on the other hand, relies on her deceptive, innocent look to get in close and cause the brunt of her damage. She can even summon forth minions such as the sword-wielding warrior or the fire-throwing wizard from her self-titled game to briefly supplement her attacks.

In a game like this, it should come as no surprise that SuperBot Entertainment wants it to feel accessible. And it most certainly does. Attacks are mapped to the Square, Triangle and Circle buttons coinciding with the direction you're pressing on the d-pad or left analog stick, giving each character an exceptional amount of moves. The right stick can be used to throw opponents, while the R1 button lets players pick up items (such as the Hedgehog Grenade from Resistance) in the environment to use on enemies.

And then there's the most powerful button in the game: R2. By building a special meter for each character -- a la Street Fighter or Marvel vs. Capcom -- players can unleash a torrent of special attacks that grow in power the higher the meter gets. For instance, Sly Cooper's standard first level attack might be fairly unimpressive, but his second level attack allows him to bomb enemies from above and can easily kill everyone on the screen. And if you get to a third level attack, watch out: Colonel Radec will get into a body-encompassing machinegun from Killzone 3, while Sweet Tooth turns into a gigantic truck to rain down destruction on his foes. These attacks spell almost certain death for everyone else on-screen.

But with accessibility comes inevitable depth, and it quickly becomes apparent that the more you play, the more nuance you'll be able to derive from the experience. You'll develop a play style and preferences for certain characters; as an example, Colonel Radec will be a complete turnoff if you're not into ranged attacks, while Sly Cooper may just be too damn fast for you to keep track of. But there is balance, too, and no one character seems to have an edge over anyone else… at least not in this small group of six.

Another stand-out in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is its stages, of which SuperBot Entertainment showed-off four. Unlike Smash Bros., which has levels mostly relegated to a single franchise, All-Stars has stages dedicated to two franchises each. The Metropolis level is dedicated to Ratchet & Clank and God of War, while Jak and Daxter's Sandover Village also incorporates Hot Shots Golf. Likewise, Hades (not surprisingly) revolves around God of War, but includes the famous PSP franchise Patapon, too. And then there's the Dreamscape, which combined LittleBigPlanet with Buzz!, complete with ingenious in-game quizzes that keep things fresh on the fly.

The best news of all, though, is that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is primed with options. The game can be played locally or online with up to four players, which will no doubt be the meat of the experience for many players. But a single-player, campaign has also been promised, one that will satisfy solo gamers while supplementing everyone else's experience. It's not only about online or only about single-player, but rather a combination of both. In other words: the best of both worlds.

After playing the game, speaking to the president of the studio and then playing the game some more, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is no longer a game I'm profoundly skeptical of, but one of my most-anticipated upcoming projects. There's no reason to be coy about its inspiration -- Super Smash Bros. undeniably paved the way for it -- but no reason exists to dismiss it as a clone, either. After all, it's not very often that a clone gives its inspiration a serious run for its money. And from what I've seen and played of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, it seems ready to do just that.
    http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

2. Likes Ghost , DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    LOL Fair call. Well Ghostie is a bit confused after seeing the Uncharted and Batman GOTYs lol. This game has DLC written ALL over it...
    Yeah, I know what you're saying. And I know DLC is the norm for fighting games but I personally feel like this should be one of those games where you get everything right out of the box.

I'm not crazy.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-27-2012 at 09:36.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    I would gladly sacrifice Cloud for a chance to play as...

C'mon Sony. I really hope you guys have some of your more obscure characters in there.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

nintendo fanboys are all butthurt in the comments^
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 04-27-2012 at 08:20.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

6. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post

nintendo fanboys are all butthurt in the comments^
    As per usual.

Nintendo is awesome, but Sony has a history of taking something they got to the market first and improving on it.

Thumbstick for N64? Dual Shock for PS1.

Wii mote? PS move.

And now possibly this. lol

8. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Added the video to the OP.

It really does look like a blast to play. I think they can polish the visuals though.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Elite Sage
    ^They will likely do so towards release. Idk why but i sense ugc being announce at e3.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    As per usual.

Nintendo is awesome, but Sony has a history of taking something they got to the market first and improving on it.

Thumbstick for N64? Dual Shock for PS1.

Wii mote? PS move.

And now possibly this. lol
    They should quit dropping the soap in front of Sony

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I wonder how the character select screen will be handled? I can see them splitting the characters into their respective generations.

Im hoping the final roster will be massive, they are still missing some of the really obvious ones like Drake and Cole.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Dedicated Member
    I wonder if u unlock everything n the game if you'll be able to do a GoW style sex mini-game lol

13. Likes Tim Nunes likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    I would gladly sacrifice Cloud for a chance to play as...

C'mon Sony. I really hope you guys have some of your more obscure characters in there.
    I agree, I mean if Sony wants this to be on par (it more then likey won't tho) with SMB, then go all out on characters, and bring in those old time surprises like Dart.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Meh, was hoping for summit better than Sony smash bros!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Meh, was hoping for summit better than Sony smash bros!
    Why? All signs were pointing to this. lol.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Why? All signs were pointing to this. lol.
    Signs? What signs!!????!?!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Elite Sage
    ^Basically rumors/website domains.

It looks like SSB but plays differently in a nutshell. Read about it.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Looks cool, but, that's about it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    meh seriously fat princess? with all respect for the Iconic characters of Playstation they just dont warm my heart like one of Nintendos which is why playing Smash bros feel like a birthday party, this on the other hand is like the kids looking from behind a glass window to the birthday party across the street. I wish it would have been another game but it was obvious when the first rumous were announced, but ye for people growing up with crash/spyro i guess this would feel the same for people who grew up with Mario/megaman etc. :P

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by GalapagosaraY View Post
    meh seriously fat princess? with all respect for the Iconic characters of Playstation they just dont warm my heart like one of Nintendos which is why playing Smash bros feel like a birthday party, this on the other hand is like the kids looking from behind a glass window to the birthday party across the street. I wish it would have been another game but it was obvious when the first rumous were announced, but ye for people growing up with crash/spyro i guess this would feel the same for people who grew up with Mario/megaman etc. :P
    This feels like one bigass party for me personally. A myriad of characters from my 16 years of PlayStation gaming all in one super brawler is awesome. I can see how it wouldn't have that appeal if you didn't play all these games though.

Elite Guru
    Snake vs Kratos vs Drake vs Nariko vs Cole- just going to be awesome. finally i get to kick drake and nariko butt with the real king of playstation KRATOS.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    OMG OMG OMG! This looks mother $#@!ing awesome! I've always loved Super Smash Bros to death and always wished for a Sony version of my favorite characters! Man I love mashups. Dissidia was a blast and now this. Damn, it's great to be a gamer nowadays!

Please, Vita version?
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

24. Likes Tim Nunes, R3D D3V!L likes this post
    PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    I like how the levels are mash ups too. Smash Bros is great fun and this looks to be at least as good. If you've never played SSB before, you're in for a real treat.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    gameplay really does remind me of ssb wonder how one gets ko'd? if the blue bar is for special attack build up?

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Veteran
    Looks quite interesting.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by zzKurozz View Post
    gameplay really does remind me of ssb wonder how one gets ko'd? if the blue bar is for special attack build up?
    It's more of a health bar. The characters disappear after their bar is empty.

29. Likes Kuro likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Definitely getting it but the graphics need a bit of polishing. Smash Bros. is amazing so this should also considering Sony has a lot more characters to get in there.

And screw the haters lol, not like Sony is the only company to copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

31. Likes Two4DaMoney , DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Looking forward to playing this online and seeing everyone play Kratos. lol

Btw we going to give this one a "Its ok to shovel DLC" pass because we all know they are going to do it.
    Last edited by Yuuichi; 04-27-2012 at 16:23.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Thread Information