Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Zeus and others aren't Sony owned properties, so u ain't going to see them.

A sensible person should be able to pretty much guess who else is going to be in it:

Medievil
    Ratchet
    Clank
    Dax
    Jak
    Gabe Logan
    Sack boy
    Cole

3rd party?
    Snake.
    Ezio
    I like how you went to say Zues isn't owned by Sony (Which is true) But then go onto name other 3rd party players. Laugh out loud

$Greatness$ Awaits™

2. Likes Ghost , AaronSOLDIER , Kauldron, Suzano-O likes this post
    Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Zeus and others aren't Sony owned properties, so u ain't going to see them.

A sensible person should be able to pretty much guess who else is going to be in it:

Medievil
    Ratchet
    Clank
    Dax
    Jak
    Gabe Logan
    Sack boy
    Cole

3rd party?
    Snake.
    Ezio
    I'm sorry but this was such a terrible brain-fart on your part that I had to thumbs down. This seriously can't be mynd typing this.

Sony 'doesn't own' Zeus? No one owns the NAMES of myths and legends. That's public domain. They do however, own their respective DESIGNS.

Just like Marvel doesn't own the name of 'Thor', but no one sure as hell can use their design of Thor just because the mythical character itself is public domain.

And then you name 3rd party characters after talking about non-ownership. What the heck.

Absolutely God of War's Zeus could appear in the game. Why the hell could he NOT? Seeing as God of War's HADES is in the game. lol.
    Last edited by RedOrb_Collector; 04-29-2012 at 06:45.

4. Likes Two4DaMoney , Kauldron, Suzano-O likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GlassGun
    Items American DadDaft PunkScarlett JohanssonNaughty DogPS3 SlimLucy PinderFinal Fantasy VIIDark SoulsPS3 Fat
    I wonder if they have come up with the idea of being able to 'import' your character profiles from different games? (Would most likely only happen to first party games as Sony can work with the coding totally internally and have it easily accessable )

Imagine instead of only having the option of Sack Boy, you could have your own LBP character running around.

If they did try it with 3rd party I'd love to see a my Dark Souls character running around! (Supposing they had a Dark Souls character in the roster.)

Current Signature Too Tall for Size Limits

60 Gig Sony Playstation 3 |Sony Bravia 52" LCD | 5.1 SS

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Here are some screenshots, courtesy of PlayStation Lifestyle.

It will no doubt look better before they release the game.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-29-2012 at 19:39.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    I like how you went to say Zues isn't owned by Sony (Which is true) But then go onto name other 3rd party players. Laugh out loud
    err becuase they said they will put 3rd party in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    I'm sorry but this was such a terrible brain-fart on your part that I had to thumbs down. This seriously can't be mynd typing this.

Sony 'doesn't own' Zeus? No one owns the NAMES of myths and legends. That's public domain. They do however, own their respective DESIGNS.
    So what?
    They could design "cloud man" and put him in the game, it aint going to interest anyone.
    Putting someone like Zeus in the game is pointless, it offer little in the way of copyright control or even franchisabilty.
    This is after all about franchise characters.
    Just like Marvel doesn't own the name of 'Thor', but no one sure as hell can use their design of Thor just because the mythical character itself is public domain.
    Its not about the name, its about the character.
    Its a bit of streetch to say that Norse mytholgy put Thor in a human body.
    Giving the character something unqiue in story like that differentiates him from say, the classical Zeus or any of the Greek/Roman/Norse Gods.

And then you name 3rd party characters after talking about non-ownership. What the heck.
    Sony have stated they are after some third party franchise charaters.
    Absolutely God of War's Zeus could appear in the game. Why the hell could he NOT? Seeing as God of War's HADES is in the game. lol.
    As playable characater, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. As a location, sure mount Olympus could be there. Given there are already 2 GOW stages. I wouldnt be surprised.

Sometimes I wonder if people understand franchisabilty and marketing.
    Clearly not.
    Last edited by mynd; 04-29-2012 at 23:00.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Glad I own a PS3, Sony just keeps bringing the games.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

9. Likes Ghost , Two4DaMoney , Nitey likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I think you're missing the point. What you said earlier was that we wouldn't see any characters unless they were owned by Sony. But a character like Ezio never represented the PlayStation brand. Even if they are elements of third-party titles, there are other characters like Cloud who left a larger impression with PlayStation fans, and the character itself is owned by Square Enix.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I wonder what types of stages and pickups there will. Hope they have moving stages also. Those were always hectic in SSB

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I think you're missing the point. What you said earlier was that we wouldn't see any characters unless they were owned by Sony.
    I never said that, I said you wont see those particular characters because they arent owned by Sony, I was implying they arent owned by anyone.
    But a character like Ezio never represented the PlayStation brand. Even if they are elements of third-party titles, there are other characters like Cloud who left a larger impression with PlayStation fans, and the character itself is owned by Square Enix.
    Didnt stop him from turning up in MGS did it? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Master Poster
    Items User name style

So what?
    They could design "cloud man" and put him in the game, it aint going to interest anyone.
    Putting someone like Zeus in the game is pointless, it offer little in the way of copyright control or even franchisabilty.
    This is after all about franchise characters.

Its not about the name, its about the character.
    Its a bit of streetch to say that Norse mytholgy put Thor in a human body.
    Giving the character something unqiue in story like that differentiates him from say, the classical Zeus or any of the Greek/Roman/Norse Gods.

Sony have stated they are after some third party franchise charaters.

As playable characater, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. As a location, sure mount Olympus could be there. Given there are already 2 GOW stages. I wouldnt be surprised.

Sometimes I wonder if people understand franchisabilty and marketing.
    Clearly not.
    I'm afraid the tangent you are on here is completely irrelevant to what I was addressing.

I don't care about the prediction whether Zeus or someone else makes it within the roster or not, in-fact, I agree that he probably won't. But your justification for it of course, was flawed from the beginning. This is all I was pointing out.

Sony owns God of War Zeus, it is their own Zeus. He is not equivalent in character, he is not equivalent in design, and he's not equivalent in story to the mythos he was based on. He is significantly different. Just as any other mythological based character, like again, Marvel's Thor.

The only thing they don't own is the name, but that is a trivial enough matter. It's everything together that constitutes total copyright. After all, Sony doesn't even own the name 'Kratos' do they? Nope. It's a Greek name, and other characters have used that name. Hell, Sony doesn't even own the names of 'Jak' or 'Ratchet' either, do they? No, not at all. There's nothing stopping other companies from creating characters with the names of 'Jak' or 'Ratchet', so long as they don't blatantly infringe on everything else, like the designs and stories. It's no different with Zeus, at all. Whether Zeus made it in as a background attraction (like Hades) or as a playable character, it is a trivial distinction, because he could still be usable to market the game in some way, either the route of 'hey its Zeus from God of War, and he's throwing lightning at you from the background', or 'hey its Zeus from God of War, and you get to play as him'. Either way, his image would show up in the game as a copyrighted asset. No one else can use that design commercially, even if they tried to give the design a different name other than Zeus.

If everything in the God of War series was completely re-named, with no references to Greece whatsoever and no Greek (or even Roman) names used for any character, would the 'zeus' design suddenly have a stronger case for being in the game? No, he wouldn't, his situation would be the same; still a Sony owned and designed character, that could be in the game in any fashion. My point, is that the name itself is a trivial matter here.

Also, an addendum, the game is about franchises PERIOD. Anything that is considered a staple, iconic part of a game franchise is fair play. Which is why Hades is featured prominently (and I mean that literally, he's a big guy) in the first place, as he's one of the most recognizable characters of God of War period. And hey, not many things are more iconic/recognizable for the God of War franchise than Zeus himself, you know, the boss you fight on at least three different occasions, more than any other boss in the franchise?

Is someone like Zeus going to be a playable character? Who knows, probably not. But if there are enough people that ask for him, there is no logistical reason in place why they can't add him, seeing as if there's demand for him, that's proof enough against the 'marketability' question left over that you have in place, no?

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Glad I own a PS3, Sony just keeps bringing the games.
    Games that aren't psn only. I'm glad they actually take risk with new i.p's.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

15. Likes AaronSOLDIER , Ghost likes this post
    Apprentice
    They better put Sgt. Cortez from TimeSplitters in there. The series started with Playstation after all.
    Last edited by Amnoz; 08-20-2012 at 20:21.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    I'm afraid the tangent you are on here is completely irrelevant to what I was addressing.

I don't care about the prediction whether Zeus or someone else makes it within the roster or not, in-fact, I agree that he probably won't. But your justification for it of course, was flawed from the beginning. This is all I was pointing out.

Sony owns God of War Zeus, it is their own Zeus. He is not equivalent in character, he is not equivalent in design, and he's not equivalent in story to the mythos he was based on. He is significantly different. Just as any other mythological based character, like again, Marvel's Thor.

The only thing they don't own is the name, but that is a trivial enough matter. It's everything together that constitutes total copyright. After all, Sony doesn't even own the name 'Kratos' do they? Nope. It's a Greek name, and other characters have used that name. Hell, Sony doesn't even own the names of 'Jak' or 'Ratchet' either, do they? No, not at all. There's nothing stopping other companies from creating characters with the names of 'Jak' or 'Ratchet', so long as they don't blatantly infringe on everything else, like the designs and stories. It's no different with Zeus, at all. Whether Zeus made it in as a background attraction (like Hades) or as a playable character, it is a trivial distinction, because he could still be usable to market the game in some way, either the route of 'hey its Zeus from God of War, and he's throwing lightning at you from the background', or 'hey its Zeus from God of War, and you get to play as him'. Either way, his image would show up in the game as a copyrighted asset. No one else can use that design commercially, even if they tried to give the design a different name other than Zeus.

If everything in the God of War series was completely re-named, with no references to Greece whatsoever and no Greek (or even Roman) names used for any character, would the 'zeus' design suddenly have a stronger case for being in the game? No, he wouldn't, his situation would be the same; still a Sony owned and designed character, that could be in the game in any fashion. My point, is that the name itself is a trivial matter here.

Also, an addendum, the game is about franchises PERIOD. Anything that is considered a staple, iconic part of a game franchise is fair play. Which is why Hades is featured prominently (and I mean that literally, he's a big guy) in the first place, as he's one of the most recognizable characters of God of War period. And hey, not many things are more iconic/recognizable for the God of War franchise than Zeus himself, you know, the boss you fight on at least three different occasions, more than any other boss in the franchise?

Is someone like Zeus going to be a playable character? Who knows, probably not. But if there are enough people that ask for him, there is no logistical reason in place why they can't add him, seeing as if there's demand for him, that's proof enough against the 'marketability' question left over that you have in place, no?
    I dont think I can reword this enough without you still drawing the same conclusion.

Its not because the character is or is not "their design", as I stated they could design "cloud man".

It's that nobody is going to care enough about those characters to invest any sort of decent franchise attachement.

And no, its not about franchises, its about franchise ICON's.
    If Zeus could garner enough support, then sure, he would become an Icon, and be in the game, but hes not a main chracter, he's not totally their creation (their is enough generic Zeus in Sonys Zeus to argue the only thing you could actually copyright was his design/look and frankly thats a friggin streetch he looks like every other zeus. Youd have better chance of copyrighting his gold armour.)

When it boils down to it, you have a bazillion other characters that are more Iconic than Zeus.

Zeus is a generic non de plume for the guy in charge in greek mytholgy. He's hardly iconic to Sony.
    Last edited by mynd; 05-01-2012 at 06:58.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GlassGun
    Items American DadDaft PunkScarlett JohanssonNaughty DogPS3 SlimLucy PinderFinal Fantasy VIIDark SoulsPS3 Fat
    What got me was in the interview they said they included Hades because he is the God of War... I'm pretty sure I've played enough 'Master of Olympus Zeus' to know that Ares is the God of War. Or did I hear him wrongly?

Current Signature Too Tall for Size Limits

60 Gig Sony Playstation 3 |Sony Bravia 52" LCD | 5.1 SS

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubs42 View Post
    What got me was in the interview they said they included Hades because he is the God of War... I'm pretty sure I've played enough 'Master of Olympus Zeus' to know that Ares is the God of War. Or did I hear him wrongly?
    I think he meant to say that Hades was one of the most recognizable characters.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I'm obviously hoping for some Final Fantasy characters like Cloud, Auron, Tifa, or Squall.

Also, one of the aspects of Smash Bros. that i really enjoy is how you have to launch the characters off the screen. It makes the fights feel more epic. There's nothing like connecting with a Falcon Punch and sending someone flying. Whereas this game just seems to have a health bar. Copying that aspect would have been silly though, but I hope this game still feels as exciting.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal

Ultimate Veteran
    Nice. Hopefully they include Wander from Shadow of the Colossus as well.

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    There's an interview here which confirms that there are third party characters, amongst something else...

Any chance that we might see this on Vita?
    Maybe… Stay tuned.

When i first heard of this game I was excited to see how it would play. I was personally expecting something like a dead or alive or mortal combat feel to it but this looks too childish for me so I will pass

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    ^^ "Maybe...Stay tuned" = YES! $#@! yeah, If this is true I will be getting this on Vita.

Elite Member
    When it boils down to it, you have a bazillion other characters that are more Iconic than Zeus.

Zeus is a generic non de plume for the guy in charge in greek mytholgy. He's hardly iconic to Sony.
    You say this, yet we're talking about a game in which Fat Princess is already a confirmed character...

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    ^^ "Maybe...Stay tuned" = YES! $#@! yeah, If this is true I will be getting this on Vita.
    Exactly how I feel. i just crapped my paints in joy.

Elite Sage
    You know, this game seems incredibly stupid. I'll pass for sure.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    i want this game, smash bros was one reason for me to get a wii

Thread Information