Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Guru

Assassin's Creed 3 in trouble?

http://leviathyn.com/blog/2012/04/28...ii-in-trouble/

As of last week, the science fiction author stepped forward and served up some papers to Ubisoft, announcing that he was suing the company for copyright infringement.

According to Beiswenger, the creators of the Assassin’s Creed franchise stole the main premise of his own novel Link, a story about a scientific discovery that allows for ancestral memory to be “accessed, recalled, relived, and re-experienced” via an invention similar to AC’s animus. He also claims that the book includes themes of assassins, the bible, the Garden of Eden, and the Forbidden Fruit.
    The author is asking for damages from not only the four games released since 2007, but also the guide books, comic series, and two trailers. If his request is honored, he will receive an amount no less than $1.05 million dollars. And, if the judge rules that Ubisoft did in fact infringe on his copyrights, Beiswenger could walk away with as much as $5.25 million. He also requests that the court prevent the release of Assassin’s Creed III and anything related to it.

Now, allow me to say this: I am not a huge AC fan, so this story only mildly piqued my interest from the fan standpoint. The games always remind me of a Wal-Mart bakery cake; they look pretty good on the outside, but once I sit down and get into them, it’s a disappointment, like there was a lot of potential here, but something’s…missing.
    However, what Beiswenger is trying to do here is ridiculous. In the world of fiction, there is no such thing as a new story; just a new way of telling it. Meaning that, with 6 billion people walking this planet, you’re going to encounter similar ideas between creative minds. What separates them from each other is the way they’re told. Now, if this author had written a story about a young man named Desmond who was accessing his memories via a machine called the Animus that allowed him to re-live the memories of his assassin ancestor named Altair, then he might have a more compelling case. But the thing is, the idea of genetic memory recall within the realm of science fiction is not new. In fact, after this story broke on the 18th, many fans went back and found that Beiswenger’s story is similar in premise to the 1981 Alan Hathaway work titled “They Died Twice,” which deals directly with similar ideas.
    And I can’t help but feel that his motives are a little suspect. Why now? The original Assassin’s Creed was released in 2007. Why wasn’t Beiswenger all over it then? Sadly, his timing and claims really only make him sound like a disgruntled author who’s simply jealous of the success of a similar franchise.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Gonna be so pissed if that happens ><

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    someone should go assassinate him
    seriously though hope that guy doesn't win the case

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    Let him sue. Hes not gonna win, and even if he does walk away with something, 5 million dollars is nothing to Ubisoft. theyd probably settle out of court for 2 just to shut the guy up.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a ****load of bubble gum"

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Damn, settle out of court with me then. I just $20 so I can get a chicken box and some grape drank.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Yeah, think this dude may be fishing for an out of court settlement. No way will this game get shelved, because of him. He needs to go jump off a tower with no haystack at the bottom.

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

7. Likes podsaurus likes this post
    Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    only took him 5 years to do something about it

"Guns for Show, Knives for Pro"

PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    If I was ubisoft I would bury this Guy under mounds of paper with my million dollar lawyers

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

El Presidente
    The only reason he would have waited is so he could wait for more games and stuff to come out. That way he's suffered more 'damage' and can sue for more. I really don't think this will go anywhere and AC3 is safe.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    No, AC3 is not in trouble. The guys books and AC story line are no more related than about a dozen other books regarding the ability to 'time travel' and 'assassinate'. He's in it for a cash grab, hoping to get a pay out, but even if he doesn't he'll generate more book sells from people wanting to see what it's about. Either way, it won't take down the AC franchise.

PSN ID
    RipleyExile
    I bet it'd be damn hard to find someone who had heard of this chancer and his 'original' idea of a book before he started talking to the lawyers.

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    The game is not in trouble. Like it was mentioned in the article, the concept has been said and done numerous times in the past.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Worst case scenario, Ubisoft pays him a lot of money to go away.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Thread Information