Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi Uk View Post
    I would of liked to see more enemies I came across the same ones over and over wolfs mudcrabs and the Dragons at first where cool then they just got very boring because the animation was always the same but a different dragon skin depending on the level I was. I hated the bit where you got a kill cam and your character jumped on top of it's head and slash it pathetically when you know that dragon could just throw you miles away if it wanted.
    Totally agree about the wolves, mudcrabs and Dragons.

I saw more variety right away in Fallout 3 than Skyrim and look at how much later the Skyrim came out.

I'm not going to be F3 is better because it's not but the point I'm trying to make is that they made an amazing game but it feels too much like GT5 where the main stuff is amazing but the extra bells and whistles seems kinda tacked on. I don't think I can give a better example than the horse. It's the worse horse-riding experience I've had this entire generation...and probably past one too.

Only one I liked and it only happend once when fighting on was in Whitrun some guards started firing arrows at it, it landed next to one and I watched how it crabbed it and chewed him and lobbed him miles away but it only ever happened once.
    It only happened once because it was scripted

I actually would've liked it if they had made the fights scripted...at least it would've made them more epic.

Fighting could of been better the sword animation is very dull and the swords feel like there just sliding off the enemy, I love bows but I haven't tried the new 1.05 patch with kill cams yet so dont know what thats like. If you complete the main quest straight away your slightly overpowered because of the special thing you get, speaking of that I wish when I did miles better animation when dragons fight another dragon I was expecting something good but all it did was fly in circles fire breathing while the other was on the ground running at me trying to swallow me whole.
    Agreed about the swords...but it's a lot better than Oblivion I'll tell you that and well, better than other games that have First Person view and swords...so I guess that's not all that bad. I do like the details of weapons they have in the game.

I don't like how you can't turn off the killcams though...I liked how they gave you options in Fallout where you could turn it off or on. One of my biggest gripes with the game are lack of options. Though They did put in bindings so that's cool...wish they would let me just bind completely though so I wouldn't have to use the stupid quick-select menu for items. It sort of ruins the immersion level.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Don't mistake good games that are fun to play with innovation. Like I said none of those devs are innovators. RDR is essentially a sequel, Rockstar have done nothing new for years and years. Why would they? Their tried and tested franchises sell by the bucket load. The Uncharted games are genre defining, but ND did not create that genre or do anything new within it, it was already a very well beaten path. A new game engine, lol what?
    I'm not sure how far your definition of innovation goes but you don't have to create a new genre to be innovative...yes that'd be awesome but you're setting the bar too high. It's unrealistic.

Frost Bite 2 is innovative, it's one of the best engines out there.

Ancient
    Still can't stand the game, I was really tempted to buy it, thinking maybe it change & got better, downloaded trailers & gameplay footage & everything....as soon as I saw the enemies coming at the screen in what I can only describe as DOOM 1 style, it killed it

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Guru
    My problem with Skyrim was that it's a game with a lot of stuff in it, but there's little to no importance given to the stuff. It's like they just crammed a bunch of stuff into it without giving any significance to anything.

THERE ARE DRAGONS! oh but nobody really cares.

YOU ARE A DRAGONBORN! ok, go fetch this thing for me.

THERE ARE TONS OF BOOKS TO READ! so?

THERE ARE TONS OF LOOT AND DUNGEONS! so?

YOU CAN JOIN FACTIONS! why would i want that? I'm a ****ing Dragonborn

YOU GET A SLAVE! oh WOW COOL! who glitches out a lot and lags behind in all the battles.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrtchng View Post
    My problem with Skyrim was that it's a game with a lot of stuff in it, but there's little to no importance given to the stuff. It's like they just crammed a bunch of stuff into it without giving any significance to anything.

YOU GET A SLAVE! oh WOW COOL! who glitches out a lot and lags behind in all the battles.
    Lmao, that was the problem when I played the last one, not only did it look $#@! & generic, I was going SO? & thinking what am I actually doing again ( during a quest! ), the game has no pull, it doesn't even gain momentum to push you forward & excite you.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I enjoyed Skyrim alot. Certainly leagues better than any of these cookie cutter JRPGs with PS2 graphics and feminine looking anime boys with spiked out hair carrying oversized swords and saving the world from an encroaching evil. Rinse and repeat. Yawn. Thankfully JRPGs are a dying breed.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrtchng View Post

Agreed, they could've given them more importance. I don't care when I encounter a dragon...and I'm playing on Master difficult setting.

lol. I didn't feel that exactly but I did find that whole thing cheesy. I think the idea is cool but they executed it in a very cliche way.

I just click on them to see if I level up my skills or not (usually the ones that cost a lot do). I think I tried reading a few times and some of it is decent but mostly it's just blabber. But I can't blame them, it's hard to write stories. And I hardly read anyway.

But there is hardly ANY loot...there are a lot of useless and repetitive items but nothing that's interesting most of the time. As for dungeons, I do like them a lot...there are some that are tiny, some huge...some that are pretty good, some that are ok. Very few that are dull.

Have yet to join a faction, don't get the point.

I use mine to tank...that's about it.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm not sure how far your definition of innovation goes but you don't have to create a new genre to be innovative...yes that'd be awesome but you're setting the bar too high. It's unrealistic.

Frost Bite 2 is innovative, it's one of the best engines out there.
    I'm not saying you have to create a new genre, just do something new. That is basically what innovation means. ND don't do anything new, they just make excellent games within the well used path of that genre.

Frostbite is arguably a very good game engine. Why is it innovative though? Games are about games, the engine is merely a tool to make them

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    the level of unappreciation for this incredible game is astonishing

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

9. Likes bigCman123, Ghost likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I'm not saying you have to create a new genre, just do something new. That is basically what innovation means. ND don't do anything new, they just make excellent games within the well used path of that genre.
    New wouldn't always mean innovative either. It can be built upon something we've seen before but doing things a better way.

An example would be to have a camera view that was better than before. Like we saw in Mario 64. Or a way to do something...such as how seamlessly you could shoot arrows from your horse in Shadow of the Colossus. It was just beautiful.

It doesn't need to do everything in a new or innovative way...just the important things.

Frostbite is arguably a very good game engine. Why is it innovative though? Games are about games, the engine is merely a tool to make them
    Something doesn't need to be a game to be innovative. Though I can say that BF3 is innovative because of Frostbite 2.

They innovated gun mechanics, bullet physics, game balance (with vehicles), destruction etc. That's all innovative due to the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    the level of unappreciation for this incredible game is astonishing
    With the level of unpolishness, I don't blame anyone. I'm still enjoying the game but I could've enjoyed it a lot more, had they done some things better.

It's sort of like, they spread themselves too thin imo, had they focused on stuff that actually mattered then we would've seen more detail in that aspect (loot) and we wouldn't have to deal with underwhelming content (dragons).
    Last edited by Omar; 05-02-2012 at 02:05.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    well, can you really expect less from bethesda? and i'm sure it's damn near impossible to have no bugs in a world that big and open

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

12. Likes bigCman123, Ghost likes this post
    Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I enjoyed Skyrim alot. Certainly leagues better than any of these cookie cutter JRPGs with PS2 graphics and feminine looking anime boys with spiked out hair carrying oversized swords and saving the world from an encroaching evil. Rinse and repeat. Yawn. Thankfully JRPGs are a dying breed.
    Did you just describe Cloud?!
    TOS has been a repeat rinse for nearly a decade now, just became popular when it came to console's, and to be fair I never seen games like Skyrim as RPGs more a first person hack & slash. But I tell ya what's wrong with both of them
    JRPGs have taken on too much character, taken too much freedom & customization away.
    WRPG's are the exact opposite, they have no character, and sorry they are a generic as a bold space marine, bland no style, looks like it done by a auto-generator, towns or city's should be like in Assassin's Creed, not a city populated by the two families camping there
    Actually AC does do a better job at what a Skyrim & other WRPGs should be, but this is all just opinion

Sent from my Sony Xperia S

14. Likes Gaddes likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm not far into the main quest either...but you can't tell me that you've been doing all this without doing side quests at least.
    I had a look and you're right. I've done a couple of side quests but not enough to even have popped the 10 side quest achievement (I'm playing on PC).

However, I've came across most of my quests through random play and not looking out quest lines so I can say with confidence that yes, I've been doing all this as a result of a non-linear approach. And for me, it has been very entertaining thus far.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I think some people may have had unrealistic expectations for a game of this size and scope. It's still an epic game for what it is, which is one of the most beautifully realised sandbox games ever. Sure there is room for improvement, but all in all this game is a masterpiece. You can rip any game apart for it's faults but when a game entices me into an easy 500+ hours of gaming, it is doing something right. To be honest I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what I want to do in this game. Wzhen all the DLC is out on the GOTY edition I'ma buy that badboy and $#@! gon' get serious.

In Fallout 3 I made Tenpenny Tower my own military outpost. Everyone had the green armor, helmets and weapons (took a long time stealing their $#@! and reverse stealing the gear lol). My personal troup were wearing ranger armor...I don't know what I will do in Skyrim when the serious gaming starts, but it will be fun for me.

I just take games for what they are, enjoying their strengths and accepting their weaknesses (so long as they are a minority). You could pic any game apart, wishing this mechanic was smoother or that mechanic worked better, but this stuff just jades your vision. Skyrim may well be my GOTGen (until Bioshock Infinite comes on the scene as contender).

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    i love the game but went a bit dead in it 1½ month ago because of too many sidemissions, i just recently picked it up again yesterday and loving it again. The game is great but one of the few things i could wish for is a bit more wildlife and people in the field areas, some random event at specific times could also help the game. Sometimes when u wander too long around it can feel a bit "dead" but the choices you make to tackle the missions also end up being the factor that this feeling can come creeping to you, when it does its best to either go for a main story mission or into a dungeon imo

Overall i think this,AC2 and La Noire are the best 3 games ive played the last 2 years
    Last edited by GalapagosaraY; 05-02-2012 at 16:52.

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

18. Likes Omar, John25 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    This game is seriously one of the most addicting games I've ever played, I'm actually afraid it will effect my grades lol. Honestly though, this game is absolutely amazing on PC. There are some really cool mods, such as the UFO (ultimate followers overhaul) that basically adds a ton of awesome features for followers such as the ability to toggle invincibility, the ability to level up skills, and the ability to ride their own horses and a ton of other stuff. I also got a Lord of The Rings weapons pack, swinging the same sword Aragorn used in Return of the King is awesome.

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    Man I gotta get back into this game, haven't played for a month or so.

Extreme Poster
    I feel that I may have said some things too early.

I started playing the game with different specializations (was an archer, now a two-handed warrior) and the game just became much more deep for me.

I had no idea that there was no class system in this game...I mean, I knew that but what I didn't know was that you didn't have to really worry about which type of class you were trying to be...you could switch it around mid-game.

That's an awesome idea and I always wondered why games didn't do this more often...I don't wanna play the game over again just to experience a different class.

Anyway, apparently all of your skills can goto 100 and all of your perks can be bought...but it's tougher to do as you go along (sorta like in Demon Souls).

I'm way more hooked onto the game now and I think the little things that bothered me about the game, bother me less now since there's so much more to experience.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    ye i watched some streams of this game lately, i usually dont with games im currently playing to not get spoilers but someone played as the Khajit (the lionpeople) and i noticed how much different his game really was from mine. It was basically almost a stealth game instead, he had 2 handed weapons and snkeaed on on alot of the enemies and even had some sort of cloaking at times.

I kinda regret at times that i chose the Nord, i have a tendency to always sort of choose the warrior class in all rpgs when i get my hands on them first and never think about the fact that i might not play the game through more than once as they usually seem to reflect the "normal" difficulty in games. But i kinda wishat times i had been playing witha a Archer type of character with alot of stealth skills as alot of the field combat you get into you always tend to switch over to ur bow to get that high dmg hit in before wielding ur sword against it when it approaches you.

Anyway a good thing is that you can atleast experience this sort of variety with even a character that isnt a thief oriented character with missions from the thieves guild, i had one yesterday and it was really fun just to sneak around in someones house and stealing some papers for a horse although it was hard in the end not having to fight out . The game hasa good balance and variety in these cases especially
    Last edited by GalapagosaraY; 05-06-2012 at 14:57.

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Moved to the appropriate section

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

I love Skyrim as an idea, it's scope is incredible, and the replayability is potentially endless. However, I really do think that the amount of bugs in the game make it much less of a game than it could be otherwise. For example, I thought that most killed enemies carried no loot for the first 10 hours of gameplay, as I didn't realise that I had to repeatedly press the X button to get them to open up? This also happens when trying to read books. Also, the fact that there is no idea given with regard to levelling, in that some places you visit just seem to be randomly 10 x more difficult than others, but there is no indication of these variations given by the game; surely that wouldn't be difficult to do? On the plus side, I like the simplification of the levelling up system over Oblivion. I am about 25 hours in at the moment, so may well find other issues, both + and -

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    i dont see how not noticing how to loot is a bug unless theres no indicator on it on the console versions, the game puts a indicator on the middle of the screen when you look at the object/chest on the PC version. But i guess there are people who would after their 1st kill in the game not even go over and look at it although id be surprised someone wouldnt be curious to do that at all .

The level indicator could definitely have been made it is kinda annoying to go for a quest till you reach the quests point where you have to go kill someone or into a dungeon and the enemies are almost so impossible to kill even with a warrior by your side and having to use anything from conjure to destruction spells before they are so close up to you that they can kill you instantly

I usually dont follow game forums dedicated to 1 game to not get spoilers but ive always heard theres alot of bugs in these games are these bugs console exclusive or something? i remember something about those versions were quite inferior at launch compared to PC.

Ive played 120 hours on PC and have still havent encountered a single bug in this game and i bought it 10 days or so after launch. There are though "oddities" happening in the game and the AI can be questionable at times. The only weird things ive encountered was that my court wizard in Whiterun suddenly dissapeared in the game early on and that i was suddenly getting chased bounty/assassin hunters people from shops i hadnt even visited had hired, otherwise its only been stuff like the 1st dragon you meet, its remaining skeleton would suddenly appear at random places and even on top of one of the guard towers of whiterun.

1 thing im rarely doing in this game though is stealing, this part does indeed seem like its rather broken, for example yesterday i did a mission for a guy, and after the real owner went away from the store the guy who hired me stayed inside the house still, since the owner was gone i thought i could steal anything upstairs and took anything from jewels to statues, but as soon as i opened a cupboard with 8 gold in it and took it i would suddenly get hunted by the guy i just did the mission for, having to reload a save from 5 minutes earlier.

The worst imo about this game is that you tend to make saving a extremely big habit which draws away some of the immersion of the game because youre afraid a game breaking bug or anything else might happen after experiencing either some bugs yourself or hearing about it on forums. I have like 180 saves in my game already and im lvl 30 and then theres all the quick saves lol

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    I played this game for like 4 days and then gave up because i got tired of running into enemies way tougher than me.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    I played this game for like 4 days and then gave up because i got tired of running into enemies way tougher than me.
    You could have adjusted the difficulty or leveled up some.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    You could have adjusted the difficulty or leveled up some.
    No,ever since i started playing games i always play on the default difficulty ( Normal ) if the game throws me a bunch of enemies with very advanced levels that doesn't mean that i suck and i need to play on easy,it just means that the game is unfair,and i don't like that.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    No,ever since i started playing games i always play on the default difficulty ( Normal ) if the game throws me a bunch of enemies with very advanced levels that doesn't mean that i suck and i need to play on easy,it just means that the game is unfair,and i don't like that.
    The game isn't fair at times sure but to me, it seems that the game is designed to use strategy in your fights, rather than hack-n-slash.

I think it would've been cool if you could somehow tell what level the enemies are but I think that'd also take away from the immersion level.

But since they already have so many things that take away from that (HUD is overpopulated, sound effects if you get a crit) that I think it might not have been a bad idea.

Then again, this isn't your typical RPG, nor a MMO-like either. You just take it for what it is.

I personally wouldn't quit it for the difficulty...because it's difficult as $#@! on Master setting and that's the least of my issues with the game.

Thread Information