Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

God of War: Ascension - Multiplayer Announced (Gameplay Video, Info & Screens)

Thanks Darksora
    Eurogamer - God of War: Ascension Preview: Introducing the Gods of War

It's a brilliantly executed reveal. The first live demo to the press, I mean. Not the one that happened the previous week when, faced with more holes in its hull than it had PR fingers to poke in them, Sony gave up trying and rush-announced God of War: Ascension to stem the swelling tide of tittle-tattle.

The bit that was always supposed to be the actual reveal, though, taking place in a private theatre in Hollywood - "Welcome to one of the worst kept secrets in the industry!" chortles game director Todd Pappy - opens with a superbly crafted piece of drama.

A brooding warrior, whom we are supposed to think is Kratos, is revealed by a retreating camera to be another muscular, Mardi Gras-attired brute entirely. Soon he's scrapping with a bulging, barmy cyclops and we're in familiar territory: classical hack-and-slash action of murderous beauty.

And then the camera teasingly shifts to the right to capture the entrance of a second warrior, who promptly wades in. The pair now gang up on the fabulously well-animated beast, one leaping onto its writhing shoulders to draw back its head, while the other guts it from waist-to-neck 'til it collapses in a jellied pool of its own spurting innards.

Stills don't do it justice - in motion, Ascension's as stunning as anything in the God of War universe.

Ascension's multiplayer promises to stay faithful to the series' sense of scale.

The duo jog off triumphantly through a door and Pappy calls out: "Give me a taunt to prove it's live!" One of his team, who had up to this point been an unknown presence lurking at the rear of the theatre, promptly obliges as one of the warriors thrusts his sword skywards and they charge on.

That's how you announce multiplayer, God of War-style. And we've barely even started. A few moments later, the area opens up to reveal characters duelling all over. Because this is eight-player multiplayer. A few seconds more and a furious, horned titan, ensnared by chains, fills the screen. Because this is God of War.

And that, in one hugely impressive sequence, is Ascension's multiplayer in a nutshell: classic team-based action, coupled with the series' trademark technical bravura, epic scale and orgiastic celebration of savagery.

As the round rolls on, one of the teams eventually batters the other sufficiently to earn the right to take out the titan in a scene of quite spectacular violence. Having smashed its jaw in half, three of the warriors launch chains at the monster's enormous eyeball. While it strains and swells in the socket, the fourth player leaps towards it, motioning to run it through with a spear sent down from the heavens. A fraction of a second from impact, the demo cuts to black. I catch my breath.

There's no real word on single-player just yet, but it's already be confirmed that it'll be another prequel.

Every combatant in the demo was controlled live by a member of the team, Pappy notes, anticipating queries over how much of what we just saw was staged for effect.

Stills don't do it justice - in motion, Ascension's as stunning as anything in the God of War universe.

Clearly the opening part was a bit, purely for the purposes of a dramatic reveal. But the rest, I am later assured, is a real map that will ship with the final game. It was hard to make sense of it all at first sight without commentary, to be honest, but it turned out we had witnessed a game of domination, with two teams battling to control two points on the map, after which the victor proceeded to the endgame.

The basic premise of multiplayer in Ascension is that the player can "go from an unknown hero to a god, following in the footsteps of Kratos," says Pappy. You must ally yourself with one of four gods: Zeus, Poseidon, Hades or Ares - as in the original God of War when Kratos pledged his allegiance to the latter.

"Based on that selection you'll be able to gain magical abilities, items, different things you get from these unique gods that influence your style of play. In other games it would be considered your classes," says lead combat designer Jason McDonald.

As for the classes: "It's pretty similar to what you'd expect," he adds. "Some are based on damage, some are based on healing and sustaining, some on magical attacks. We don't want to reveal what each god will do just yet but you can expect some key differences.

"It's a team-based multiplayer experience and we want to make sure you're not always going with the same guy, like a game of Street Fighter where everyone picks Ryu."

The combat system is built on the same core mechanics as the rest of the series, with the same buttons pretty much doing the same thing. But change has been necessary to accommodate the broader scope of multiplayer. It's "powerful, brutal, kinetic, flashy and responsive," claims Pappy, while retaining the "heart and soul" of God of War.

There's no real word on single-player just yet, but it's already be confirmed that it'll be another prequel.

As indicated by the demo's opening scene, team-based attacks are a big part of the experience, with two-on-one and three-on-one takedowns possible. For the sake of balance, though, if a player is skilled enough he can still escape these situations and even turn them to his advantage.

The dynamic changes again when set-pieces like the titan takedown are considered. "What makes God of War epic?" Pappy muses. "Killing a big guy does. That was the inception idea. How does that work in multiplayer? We're still going through that right now. What you saw today versus what we're going to ship with is going to change.

"For us what's fixed is the base combat. Now it's fleshing out the game modes and seeing what works, what doesn't work, and whether the players understand it.

"In multiplayer games your attention span... you can't have a whole bunch of objectives. So we're constantly focus testing: is this too much, are there too many things going on? Just that iteration process over and over again to find the magic formula."

All the focus for now is on multiplayer, but the team isn't forgetting what made the series a success in the first place.

"We didn't want to sacrifice single-player for multiplayer, neither did we want to tack [the latter] on," says McDonald. "We're definitely going full force with both."

Game director Todd Pappy served as God of War 3's design director.

What we do know is that Ascension single-player serves as a prequel to the series. You'll still be playing as Kratos, but: "It's the youngest you've ever seen him," says Pappy. "We want to show a different side to him, bring more of the humanity back".

Given the demands of crafting a multiplayer experience from scratch, can we really expect single-player to be as substantial as what has gone before? "We're talking just a little bit shorter," Pappy admits. "We've mapped out everything and given time estimates. It'll be pretty damn close."

All the way back to the original, God of War has proved a standard bearer for the graphical prowess of PlayStation platforms. PS2 bowed out in remarkable fashion with God of War II. And 2010's PS3 debut made its intentions clear with an opening sequence of astonishing ambition.

"We always strive to [top ourselves]," says Pappy, bullishly adding: "Personally I think what we've got in the opening 20 minutes of this game will blow people away." Boastful, certainly, but when it looks as good as it does a year from release with eight people playing together, I wouldn't bet against it.

The technical challenges of recreating the visual spectacle of God of War in multiplayer without compromising the frame-rate are, as they say across the pond, not trivial. One advantage is the use of fixed cameras, carried over from single-player, so designers don't have to worry about players suddenly spinning the view around 180-degrees.

On top of that, numerous improvements to the God of War 3 engine have been made. Later on, we visit Sony Santa Monica itself where I see some of the new processes at the point of application.

It's all in the small details. Improved animation and a new collision system mean characters' bare feet now realistically adapt to uneven terrain; meanwhile, the climbing system has been rewritten to make point-to-point movement feel less like you're following a fixed path.

Over in the art department, meanwhile, shelves are lined with books on "Extreme Nature" and Michelangelo, while unsettlingly large anatomical models of the human body stand stiffly atop desks. To make a virtue of the desecration of flesh, one must first know it intimately.

If anything, the change of direction in Ascension seems to have re-energised a team at a time when fatigue and boredom could easily have crept in for what is its fourth massive God of War project on the trot, giving it fresh motivation to keep pushing the art of the possible - as well as the angry.
    Sony Press Release:
    Last edited by Nuvian; 04-30-2012 at 17:03.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

Apprentice
    Can't wait.

But I fear they could screw up the game by implementing coop and multiplayer, thus changing the good old GOW formula. If they do that, I'll buy it (because I'm a huge GOW fan and like to collect the games), play it and then never touch it again.

I hope that Santa Monica delivers againg and doesn't destroy what is nearly perfect. I have faith in Santa Monica Studios but not in Sony Computer Entertainment. If Sony says so, they'll make a freaking massive multiplayer GOW game. They would even make a GOW racing game!

Just make a normal GOW experience. Epic, brutal, but this time with a really deep story. Focus on Kratos even more, and his reasons later in the series for doing what he does. Where did all this rage originate from (yes, we know some things like the ending from Ghost Of Sparta, Chains Of Olympus and all the other GOW's, but the most important thing - the killing of his family - hasn't been touched yet!), how did all that $#@! change him? What happened before he became the Ghost Of Sparta?

I hope they use the GOW3 engine and don't go for some other style (for example celll-shading).

People think that Kratos will be less badass than in the other GOW games, but I don't see that happening. He WILL have his blades in Ascension. Maybe we'll have to play 1-3 levels with a sword, then he gets the blades. I bet that the game will end with Kratos killing his family, thus becoming the Ghost Of Sparta. Would be a great end and they could go for a really deep story that touches the player.

3. Likes Fon likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Sweet mother of God... Whose idea was it to tease use with the new God of War game during finals? I can't wait to get eyefull of what Sony Santa Monica has been working on.

Edit... Looks awesome, can't wait to beat the hell out of my friends online.
    Last edited by bigCman123; 04-30-2012 at 18:50.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Its Sony Santa Monica - I'd buy it even without seeing any gameplay (so long as I had a slight description of its genre - if it was an FPS GoW I'd stay away lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Can't wait to see this footage when it is released, God Of War III is still the best game I have played on the PS3 so far....

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I can't wait to see this. I haven't been let down by a god of war title yet. I doubt this one will disappoint me.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Veteran
    Can't wait....Seriously excited.

Apprentice
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/fi...-of-war/729678

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mu...-of-war/729680

Here we go... The screens look pretty good, and I can see that working well. I hope that graphics won't suffer because of coop/multiplayer/whatever this "multiplayer" is. I hope they squeeze everything out of the PS3 and go even further... lol they should write code that overclocks the PS3 and switches up the fan to 100% ^^ I WANT EVERYTHING!!! Even if my PS3 WON'T SEE THE END OF THIS DAY!!!

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Updated the main post with the Eurogamer article.

Eurogamer - God of War: Ascension Preview: Introducing the Gods of War

It's a brilliantly executed reveal. The first live demo to the press, I mean. Not the one that happened the previous week when, faced with more holes in its hull than it had PR fingers to poke in them, Sony gave up trying and rush-announced God of War: Ascension to stem the swelling tide of tittle-tattle.

The bit that was always supposed to be the actual reveal, though, taking place in a private theatre in Hollywood - "Welcome to one of the worst kept secrets in the industry!" chortles game director Todd Pappy - opens with a superbly crafted piece of drama.

A brooding warrior, whom we are supposed to think is Kratos, is revealed by a retreating camera to be another muscular, Mardi Gras-attired brute entirely. Soon he's scrapping with a bulging, barmy cyclops and we're in familiar territory: classical hack-and-slash action of murderous beauty.

And then the camera teasingly shifts to the right to capture the entrance of a second warrior, who promptly wades in. The pair now gang up on the fabulously well-animated beast, one leaping onto its writhing shoulders to draw back its head, while the other guts it from waist-to-neck 'til it collapses in a jellied pool of its own spurting innards.

Ascension's multiplayer promises to stay faithful to the series' sense of scale.

The duo jog off triumphantly through a door and Pappy calls out: "Give me a taunt to prove it's live!" One of his team, who had up to this point been an unknown presence lurking at the rear of the theatre, promptly obliges as one of the warriors thrusts his sword skywards and they charge on.

That's how you announce multiplayer, God of War-style. And we've barely even started. A few moments later, the area opens up to reveal characters duelling all over. Because this is eight-player multiplayer. A few seconds more and a furious, horned titan, ensnared by chains, fills the screen. Because this is God of War.

And that, in one hugely impressive sequence, is Ascension's multiplayer in a nutshell: classic team-based action, coupled with the series' trademark technical bravura, epic scale and orgiastic celebration of savagery.

As the round rolls on, one of the teams eventually batters the other sufficiently to earn the right to take out the titan in a scene of quite spectacular violence. Having smashed its jaw in half, three of the warriors launch chains at the monster's enormous eyeball. While it strains and swells in the socket, the fourth player leaps towards it, motioning to run it through with a spear sent down from the heavens. A fraction of a second from impact, the demo cuts to black. I catch my breath.

Every combatant in the demo was controlled live by a member of the team, Pappy notes, anticipating queries over how much of what we just saw was staged for effect.

Clearly the opening part was a bit, purely for the purposes of a dramatic reveal. But the rest, I am later assured, is a real map that will ship with the final game. It was hard to make sense of it all at first sight without commentary, to be honest, but it turned out we had witnessed a game of domination, with two teams battling to control two points on the map, after which the victor proceeded to the endgame.

The basic premise of multiplayer in Ascension is that the player can "go from an unknown hero to a god, following in the footsteps of Kratos," says Pappy. You must ally yourself with one of four gods: Zeus, Poseidon, Hades or Ares - as in the original God of War when Kratos pledged his allegiance to the latter.

"Based on that selection you'll be able to gain magical abilities, items, different things you get from these unique gods that influence your style of play. In other games it would be considered your classes," says lead combat designer Jason McDonald.

As for the classes: "It's pretty similar to what you'd expect," he adds. "Some are based on damage, some are based on healing and sustaining, some on magical attacks. We don't want to reveal what each god will do just yet but you can expect some key differences.

"It's a team-based multiplayer experience and we want to make sure you're not always going with the same guy, like a game of Street Fighter where everyone picks Ryu."

The combat system is built on the same core mechanics as the rest of the series, with the same buttons pretty much doing the same thing. But change has been necessary to accommodate the broader scope of multiplayer. It's "powerful, brutal, kinetic, flashy and responsive," claims Pappy, while retaining the "heart and soul" of God of War.

As indicated by the demo's opening scene, team-based attacks are a big part of the experience, with two-on-one and three-on-one takedowns possible. For the sake of balance, though, if a player is skilled enough he can still escape these situations and even turn them to his advantage.

The dynamic changes again when set-pieces like the titan takedown are considered. "What makes God of War epic?" Pappy muses. "Killing a big guy does. That was the inception idea. How does that work in multiplayer? We're still going through that right now. What you saw today versus what we're going to ship with is going to change.

"For us what's fixed is the base combat. Now it's fleshing out the game modes and seeing what works, what doesn't work, and whether the players understand it.

"In multiplayer games your attention span... you can't have a whole bunch of objectives. So we're constantly focus testing: is this too much, are there too many things going on? Just that iteration process over and over again to find the magic formula."

All the focus for now is on multiplayer, but the team isn't forgetting what made the series a success in the first place.

"We didn't want to sacrifice single-player for multiplayer, neither did we want to tack [the latter] on," says McDonald. "We're definitely going full force with both."

Game director Todd Pappy served as God of War 3's design director.

What we do know is that Ascension single-player serves as a prequel to the series. You'll still be playing as Kratos, but: "It's the youngest you've ever seen him," says Pappy. "We want to show a different side to him, bring more of the humanity back".

Given the demands of crafting a multiplayer experience from scratch, can we really expect single-player to be as substantial as what has gone before? "We're talking just a little bit shorter," Pappy admits. "We've mapped out everything and given time estimates. It'll be pretty damn close."

All the way back to the original, God of War has proved a standard bearer for the graphical prowess of PlayStation platforms. PS2 bowed out in remarkable fashion with God of War II. And 2010's PS3 debut made its intentions clear with an opening sequence of astonishing ambition.

"We always strive to [top ourselves]," says Pappy, bullishly adding: "Personally I think what we've got in the opening 20 minutes of this game will blow people away." Boastful, certainly, but when it looks as good as it does a year from release with eight people playing together, I wouldn't bet against it.

The technical challenges of recreating the visual spectacle of God of War in multiplayer without compromising the frame-rate are, as they say across the pond, not trivial. One advantage is the use of fixed cameras, carried over from single-player, so designers don't have to worry about players suddenly spinning the view around 180-degrees.

On top of that, numerous improvements to the God of War 3 engine have been made. Later on, we visit Sony Santa Monica itself where I see some of the new processes at the point of application.

It's all in the small details. Improved animation and a new collision system mean characters' bare feet now realistically adapt to uneven terrain; meanwhile, the climbing system has been rewritten to make point-to-point movement feel less like you're following a fixed path.

Over in the art department, meanwhile, shelves are lined with books on "Extreme Nature" and Michelangelo, while unsettlingly large anatomical models of the human body stand stiffly atop desks. To make a virtue of the desecration of flesh, one must first know it intimately.

If anything, the change of direction in Ascension seems to have re-energised a team at a time when fatigue and boredom could easily have crept in for what is its fourth massive God of War project on the trot, giving it fresh motivation to keep pushing the art of the possible - as well as the angry.
    Last edited by Nuvian; 04-30-2012 at 14:48.

Once more into the fray.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Only on PS3.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

12. Likes Ghost likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    those shots look good can't wait to see more of the gameplay love the series

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Superior Member
    Sony did it again lol. I'm really burnt out on GOW series... But this sounds like crazy fun, now I want it.... Darn you sony lol.
    Ride or die Sony(Playstation) supporter since 12/25/1997 Currently playing: Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K14, Tomba,Battlefield 4,Warframe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    Holding down Turtle Power since 1991

Friendship is Carrots
    This is unexpected, but also welcome if they can pull it off.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    how does a Hack-n-slash game do multiplayer???
    co-op i can see, but competitive fast paced button mashing.....
    im a bit skeptical.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Santa Monica is no chump developer. They would not even attempt it if they could not do it. I have 100% faith that this game will kick complete ass. Just really sucks we will not see this game till 2013.

If Dead Rising can do co-op and multiplayer then I think God of War can do it lol.
    Last edited by Lethal; 04-30-2012 at 16:22.

Master Poster
    heres gameplay footage, did a quick scan of thread and didnt see it posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUHtt9sUtw4

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUHtt9sUtw4" target="_blank">

19. Likes Ghost , Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by darksora View Post
    Didn't think it was out yet, thanks for the video, added it to the OP.

Once more into the fray.

21. Likes darksora likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    oooooo!
    i hadn't seen the video before.
    haven't seen a multiplayer component like that before either
    im somewhat impressed
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Sage
    I was a bit worried, i didnt see a need for MP in the GoW franchise, but the 4 on 4 battles with map goals seems like an awesome way to do it.

The game will feature:

4 vs 4 online play
    4 different online modes
    For the first time ever in a God of War game, players can compete in online or offline multiplayer battles that combine the fierce combat and scale of the franchise with a unique gameplay experience. Built off of the heart and soul of the single-player campaign, this brand new option can include up to eight players and offers a variety of different multiplayer modes, along with customizable avatar warriors with a range of weapons, armor, and more.
    Single Player:
    Set in the realm of Greek mythology, God of War: Ascension is an epic adventure that allows players to take on the climactic role of the ex-Spartan warrior Kratos as he finds a way to break the blood oath that binds him to the god, Ares. Six months after being tricked into killing his wife and child, a younger Kratos is sentenced to a life of madness with the Furies, caged in a titan sized prison for the living damned. Fighting insanity, his will is tested to the limit as he seeks to break his bond and gain the clarity to seek revenge on Ares for his part in the death of his family. Armed with double-chained blades, Kratos must take on mythology’s darkest creatures while solving intricate puzzles throughout his merciless quest for redemption.

Once more into the fray.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    It's similar to powerstone's gameplay which I welcome!.

25. Likes darksora likes this post
    Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    It's similar to powerstone's gameplay which I welcome!.
    Thats an awesome way of putting it

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuvian View Post
    I was a bit worried, i didnt see a need for MP in the GoW franchise, but the 4 on 4 battles with map goals seems like an awesome way to do it.

The game will feature:

4 vs 4 online play
    4 different online modes

Single Player:
    i thought so too. gow has never seemed like a "multiplayer" type of game. though the current setup looks promising.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

PSN ID
    Jrodd87
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I completely agree. Very unexpected, however, if they can pull it off, if will be great! Loved the GOW series since the very first one and still love them to this day. Just really hope ,with the implementation of multi-player, that they stay true to the story and not heavily focus more on the multi than they do the single

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Looks great in motion. I may try my hand in mp.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Elite Guru
    this is gettin me pump. GOW is one of the best hack n' slash games. dying to see who kratos going to fk up this time.

Here is the live stream

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/22247396
    Last edited by TekkenLord; 04-30-2012 at 17:26.

Thread Information