Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Square Enix's unannounced game is called..

CATACOMBS
    After completing Nier, Square Enix Japan signed on to produce a new intellectual property from Cavia under the code name Catacombs. A former AQ Interactive/cavia employee spoke to Siliconera about his/her title, which is set at the Museum of Natural History in New York.

Catacombs begins with a crowd lining up to see an exhibit on a culture and religion that predates any recorded civilization. The player catches a glimpse of four people about to become heroes in event scenes before entering the museum. All eyes are on a mysterious object in the center which emits a flash of light. Monsters suddenly fall from the ceiling and the floor crumbles. Creatures mercilessly slaughter patrons and some security guards while Catacombs’ four heroes are consumed by a purple haze rendering them unconscious.

When the heroes awaken, they find themselves as some of the last survivors. Two security guards come to their rescue and try to fend monsters off as the group runs to an elevator. The heroes are saved, but the guards perish and one of the panicked heroes frantically presses the close door button. The elevator jumps from floor to floor until a cord snaps and the lift freefalls to the bottom of the museum. The four puzzled heroes emerge from the rubble and find themselves in a twisted labyrinth.

Who are the four playable characters?

Matt is a tech executive in his early 40s. He went to the museum with his son, but is more interested in flirting with tourists. Matt likes to think he’s the leader of the group, but he’s actually more like comic relief.

Carlos came to the museum on a date with who he says is the hottest girl in Brooklyn. He works in a bodega, but originally came to New York from Florida to fulfill his dream of becoming an actor. As part of the group he makes sarcastic quips, but always puts his teammates first.

Gina is a college student who went to the museum on a school trip. She’s confident and is actually the group’s leader. Although, Matt and Gina tend to argue about who is in charge. Gina is also the most in tune with the mysterious world and provides insight for the group.

Nguyen is the youngest survivor being a high school student in his late teens. Nguyen’s family immigrated from Vietnam and he is trying to balance his identity between his family’s origin and his hip hop loving friends. Nguyen went to the museum with his brother and extended family who want to show him artifacts from his roots.

Catacombs is a team shooter RPG with guns that level up and spells. Players start out with a basic pistol with infinite ammo, but you’ll want to grab one of the magic infused guns as quickly as possible. Cavia made a shotgun that looks like a demonic mantis. At level one, bullets fly out underneath its head. The shotgun grows arms at level eight (the maximum level) and its head becomes the barrel. Each level up increases the width of your blast. Other weapons include a machine gun that looks like a skeleton and a dragon-like magnum that grows wings plus gains explosive bullets. All weapons illuminate the area with a built in flashlight and the color of the beam depends on which character you’re playing as. The four heroes travel together even in single player mode where the computer controls the three remaining characters.

Magic rings dropped by enemies in the labyrinth let players cast spells. These have a set number of charges and won’t work when they run out. The Cure Ring restores HP. You can use this on yourself or a nearby teammate. A different ring powers up your gun and another ring casts Protect to reduce damage. Decoy creates a shadow clone of the player that draws enemy fire. If you level up this spell, the shadow clone will explode killing nearby enemies.

Unlike other shooters, Catacombs does not have fixed maps. Levels are randomly generated with narrow corridors and open rooms packed with enemies. The goal of each floor is to reach the elevator which the heroes hope will bring them to the surface so they can escape.

Square Enix planned to reveal Catacombs during E3 2011 as a retail PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game. The game, our source says, is far along in development and was playable, but Square Enix isn’t sure if they will complete the title. Like Nier, Catacombs has "twists" to it and we’ll be talking about what makes the game unique all this week. Hopefully, we’ll spark enough interest to get the game back on track.
    source

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/30...on-after-nier/
    was hoping for remakes man..oh well
    Last edited by Kuro; 04-30-2012 at 22:57.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Woho! Another FPS!
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    An fps?!

Last edited by Itachi; 04-30-2012 at 23:46.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Square enix should die. Of course after they release FFXIIIvs!!
    Last edited by TheBreezyBB; 04-30-2012 at 23:06.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    This game is going to flop big time. What happened to that 360 exclusive shooter they were doing?

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Really? the FPS market not full up enough?

No matter how they make it, it will typically feel the same as any other FPS.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    At first I was gonna say it should be in the RPG section... then I saw the game.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

8. Likes Scrubs42 likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GlassGun
    Items American DadDaft PunkScarlett JohanssonNaughty DogPS3 SlimLucy PinderFinal Fantasy VIIDark SoulsPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    At first I was gonna say it should be in the RPG section... then I saw the game.
    I actually went to the RPG section looking for this thread.

I'm gonna say it's their take on Left4Dead sort of thing. Very broad suggestion.

Current Signature Too Tall for Size Limits

60 Gig Sony Playstation 3 |Sony Bravia 52" LCD | 5.1 SS

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    This is so awesome I can't wait to play it.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Gaddesreinhart
    Items PS3 FatVita
    ALL RIGHT! More western pandering from SE! Doesn't get much better! Ok, sarcasm off.

What happened to that 360 exclusive shooter they were doing?
    Gun Loco? They canned that, after they found out there was zero interest in the game.
    Last edited by Gaddes; 05-01-2012 at 00:16.
    Retired FFXI player. FFXIV player, Malboro Server.

12. Likes Two4DaMoney , AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Superior Member
    Yeah... so... L4D with magic?

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    $#@! you, Square.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

15. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Making Cavia do this $#@!.. Oh well. Pass.

17. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Elite Member
    You really can't blame Square Enix for wanting to capitalize on the shooter craze that's gripped the industry. Blame the consumers.

19. Likes Equinoqs, Kauldron likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I wish they would leave this $#@! to Square Enix Europe.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie View Post
    You really can't blame Square Enix for wanting to capitalize on the shooter craze that's gripped the industry. Blame the consumers.
    Games like God of War, Heavy Rain and LittleBigPlanet beg to differ. They don't need to make a shooter to be successful. In fact, when trying to make a game for everyone, they're actually making a game for no one(A quote I heard from a developer).

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Won't pass judgment till i see more but this is not what i was expecting

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I knew it was going to be something like this though..these days when you hear there is going to be a new game announced by SE the chances are it won't be a JRPG. Who would've thought that 10 years ago?
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Veteran
    Looks like Left 4 Dead meets Parasite Eve.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    Not too interested in the game, and VERY tired of the 'female butt' pose they used for Gina's pic - did the "Avengers" backlash teach them nothing?

Shut up and play games

Master Guru
    Looks amazing. Yeah, not really lol.

Stick to your roots SE.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie View Post
    Yes you can blame them. They tried it once and failed and were stupid to make it exclusive in the first place. All i hear about is FF7 remake and they sit on their asses and say no and rather spend money on stupid projects that never fully churn out.

28. Likes Gaddes, AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I think Square Enix needs to stick with their strengths. I don't blame them for trying to experiment with new things, but of all markets, the FPS market? It's already dominated by the likes of Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Medal of Honor, and so on. There really is too much competition for SE to be experimenting with it -- in other words, I think they're going to get creamed.

I have faith in Square Enix to make a good game, but even that isn't going to get me to buy the game. When I turn off Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for the night, the last thing I want to do is pop in another shooter.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

30. Likes daLa likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    HitMan00
    and the FPS just keep coming and coming and coming and coming and coming.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    I died a little inside after hearing this. the random maps peaks my interest, but only to about $20 as I am sure it'll be a short game.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Thread Information