PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Ninty Admit That Casual Focus Cost Company

Ninty Admit That Casual Focus Cost Company

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012
    by GL News
    A few years ago, Nintendo were storming the beaches of new gaming frontiers, taking on the elusive ‘mainstream’ market, with resounding success. Casualties, however, were manifold as wounded gamers and long-time Ninty fans felt discarded and overlooked as the company focused on opening up a new market, quite forgetting the hardcore fans who had carried them thus far.

Many of us quietly questioned their tactics, wondering just how long Nintendo could sustain this success and retain the public interest once the novelty factor of their gimmicky hardware and casual games had worn off and the white box had been relegated to stair-cupboards everywhere. In the meantime, hardcore fans became disenchanted, frustrated, and even angry, and some gave up altogether, but Nintendo pushed on with more casual, family gaming. Until now.

In a surprising speech to investors, Nintendo President, Satoru Iwata, admitted that the company’s focus on reaching new consumers and the family friendly market may well have placed Nintendo in the more precarious position in which it now finds itself. As we reported a few days ago, Nintendo recently posted a financial loss for the first time since it gave up on cards and concentrated on console gaming, and it would seem that the company have taken a long, hard look at why that might be.

“We could not adequately create the situation that such new consumers played games frequently or for long, consistent periods. As a result, we could not sustain a good level of profit,” Iwata told investors. He also acknowledged the effect the firm’s re-directed focus had on their core fans: “Regrettably, what we prioritised in order to reach out to the new audience was a bit too far from what we prioritised for those who play games as their hobby. Consequently, we presume some people felt that the Wii was not a game system for them or they were not willing to play with the Wii even though some compelling games had been released.”
    That would appear to be the sound of a penny finally dropping… let’s hope that there is still enough fire in the bellies of the wounded Ninty core to care.
    Link:http://www.gaminglives.com/2012/05/0...-cost-company/

I guess honesty is the best policy here and money is money
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    You reading this MS with your kinect. Sure you got Halo 4 coming out, but let's be honest they are focusing more on kinect.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Super Elite
    Hats of to Nintendo for being honest though.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I like the honesty but let's see what they do about this.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Elite Sage

I can't stay mad at you Nintendo!

Just release me a HD Zelda, Mario and Pokemon game and we will put the last several years behinds us.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Good. Now give me Metroid Prime: Hunters 3D.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

PSU Technical Advisor
    Uh yea, a few critics of Nintendo/Wii (me included) have kind of been saying this for a few years now. Always while being ridiculed of course.

I'm not surprised by this at all. I don't take Nintendo seriously anymore and I haven't even played a 'current' game by them in.. What? Since SSBB? And even then it wasn't as frequent or serious as other games like Gears, Halo, Starcraft/DOW2.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Maybe thats a good thing. It means they are going slowly instead of forcing games down are necks
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninites View Post
    I like the honesty but let's see what they do about this.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
    I agree. Talk is cheap. Action is high dollar.... (ya i just made that up myself XD)

Super Elite
    Wow, that shows tremendous integrity (and smarts) on their part. I've never cared for many of Nintendo's franchises, and completely ignored the Wii as I likely will the Wii U, but it's really nice to see a corporate giant humbly acknowledging what some perceived as a mistake, and making note of it.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    I admire your courage, Nintendo, but because of you my gaming will never be the same. Microsoft and Sony trying to copy that tomfoolery has put my gaming hobby in a downward spiral trying to make their games 'accessible' to the weak! Curse you!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

12. Likes Minnzy likes this post
    gooby pls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    with this realization maybe it's even more reason to purchase a Wii-U!

Thread Information