Elite Guru

Most FPS games lose money, says TimeSplitters dev

http://www.gamespot.com/news/most-fp...rs-dev-6374872

Call of Duty and Battlefield the only first-person shooter franchises making money, TimeSplitters developer and Free Radical founder Steve Ellis recently told Edge. As a result, the longtime developer believes publishers are wary to green-light projects that buck established trends.Publishers won't pursue a unique FPS, according to Ellis.

"I spent the whole of 2008 going round talking to publishers trying to sign up Timesplitters 4," Ellis said. "There just isn't the interest there in doing anything that tries to step away from the rules of the genre--no one wants to do something that's quirky and different, because it's too much of a risk. And a large part of that is the cost of doing it."
    Crytek UK (the name Free Radical took on when Crytek purchased the outfit) recently confirmed TimeSplitters 4 was not in development despite the game having been announced in 2007.
    "Nobody really buys any FPSes unless they're called Call of Duty," he elaborated. "I guess Battlefield did OK, but aside from that, pretty much every FPS loses money. I mean, [look at] Crysis 2: great game, but there's no way it came anywhere close to recouping its dev costs."
    Ellis left Crytek UK in February 2009 to start open a mobile game studio called Crash Lab. He explained that the FPS genre today has morphed considerably from what it once was.
    "We've been through more than a couple of console generations and seen things grow and grow to a stage where it's not really the business we got into," he said. "It's not really what we signed up for at the start."

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Serves them right, come up with something original for a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

3. Likes Two4DaMoney , LfCpS3, Gaddes, Itachi , Fon , Kuro likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    yea..originality is key

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I think there are loads of timesplitters fans out there it came before battlefield and COD but not Medal of Honor.
    I would be satisfied with a HD upgrade of the old versions.

FPS today is "if it aint real its crap."

6. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    ehh, timesplitters is established and well recieved. $#@!ing make it already, don't make me start a bake-sale to start funding the damn thing

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    Not surprising really, there's so many FPS games out there leading to a ton of competition.

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Only $#@! ones like Haze lose you money.

Super Elite
    Items PS3 FatVita
    If that's the case, then why make them in droves?
    Proud FFXI Player, Fenrir server.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Its more about how all the FPS games feel the exact same that i dislike, a game like timesplitters is different, unique and is something that should never be compared to COD/BF.

The industry and the gaming community could do with a game like TS, AS LONG as its kept the same as previous versions and not made for this gens community/gamers ( cod fans)

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Unknown cookie cutter shooters yes, not a beloved unique shooter that has a fan base that would buy it. COME ON!!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D D3V!L View Post
    Only $#@! ones like Haze lose you money.
    This.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Serves them right, come up with something original for a change.
    really though even that isn't the problem with a lot of FPS games out there that suck. it all comes down to the execution of the game. A lot of devs just whip out a FPS game to get done with it and think they will make money on it, then it doesn't but instead of blaming themselves it's everyone else that is the problem to them.

I'm going to say this without trying to be so harsh but A LOT of developers out there including some popular ones are just $#@!ing stupid, period, dumb developers and they wont ever understand what you should do to execute a good FPS game, EVER ever ever ever EVER! they are that dumb. honestly, I can't sugar coat the stupidity of most developers out there. you would think by now, 2012 they would get it but most don't and they never will. a lot of people want smooth controls which more then half of the developers out there can't even accomplish because they CHOOSE not to.

as well as some other developers that don't even integrate a server browser in most FPS games because those developers say "console gamers don't know how to work a server browser". if the brain power isn't there even though most of those developers went through college for 2 years, but honestly more then half of the developers out there shouldn't even be in the gaming business because...

1.) they are old farts that don't know what the younger generation wants nor do they know what the hardcore fanbase wants

2.) they are stuck back in past times and actually can't move forward.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I've been sounding crabby it's because I quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey, 4 weeks now.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 05-03-2012 at 01:40.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Thing with server browsers is hey have to be made well and not on develper makes a very good browser they all get the job done with little thoght put into them becuase itsn ot the main game, the best right now is probably BF3 but only because it snot ingame and uses a web browser but it still lacks soem much needed filters such as "vanilla"
    Loads of aftermarket browsers are way better than the ingame offerings Qtracker for example.

Also if people don't use something they cannot learn it.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-03-2012 at 01:56.

Apprentice

I miss Timesplitters, spent hours on my PS2 with that, got bored with Crisis 2.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Thing with server browsers is hey have to be made well and not on develper makes a very good browser they all get the job done with little thoght put into them becuase itsn ot the main game, the best right now is probably BF3 but only because it snot ingame and uses a web browser but it still lacks soem much needed filters such as "vanilla"
    Loads of aftermarket browsers are way better than the ingame offerings Qtracker for example.

Also if people don't use something they cannot learn it.

that's the thing but honestly any person out there can work a server browser unless you are mentally challenge (no jokes and not joking) if that's the case a lot of developers need to start catering to the hardcore which will still see sales. BF3 is improving on this hardcore base, Call of duty is not, MoH hopefully will follow suite into the hardcore fanbase. Counter-strike on the PC definitely supported hardcore gamers, clan systems, etc etc and you didn't even need 3rd party browsers or anything. Steam wasn't all that great, a lot of people actually used valves browsers. BF3 browser is just as good, you can add or remove any maps you want o.O so really. the only things missing now is the ability to create your own maps with "map tools" and also using "mod tools". either one doesn't bother me one bit, because technically that doesn't fall into "hardcore gamers" but more so "creative gamers".

the integration into the consoles with the servers right now are pretty damn good and notice how the player count in BF3 improved after they did that. maybe 2 things missing in the filters but hey, it's definitely a step forward or a step on where they should have been like 4 years ago. DICE is still has to many dumb people in that company that really has no business in the gaming business, same can be said for Activision as well as Blizzard. 3 companies that have lost there way, however I can see some improvements on DICE but regardless, my point on A LOT of stupid developers that don't know their head from there ass still stands strong. lol

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    The quote: "If you try to make a game for everyone, you're making a game for no one" applies here. If a game has a fan base then stick to your origins and cater to the fan base you formed. Eventually word of mouth from those fans will spread. Now if you go the Crysis 2 and Killzone 3 route of trying to please both audiences then chances are, the fans will hate it(Maybe not all of them) and the casuals will just continue to frequent games like Call of Duty.

Veteran
    Trendy VG market: FPS FPS FPS FPS FPS FPS FPS FPS FPS
    Oversaturated VG market: FPS is bad and originality plz

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Thread Information