Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

No plans for Tribes: Ascend on PS3 and Xbox 360

There are no plans for Tribes: Ascend on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, its developer has said.Hi-Rez boss Todd Harris told Gamasutra that it explored the possibility of putting the free-to-play first-person shooter on consoles, but found the game's business model prevented it from doing so."We do not have any plans for Tribes on console at this time," Harris said. "The way it went is that we wanted to do the free-to-play model, and there wasn't a clear path to that on consoles early on. Based on that, we optimized the game around the strengths of the PC, and specifically a keyboard and mouse control."Once we decided it'd only be on the PC, we optimized around speed, a quick turn radius, and PC game controls. We're still interested in free-to-play on consoles, but at this point, we have nothing specific to Tribes on console."Tribes: Ascend launched last month to critical and commercial acclaim. Harris confirmed over the game enjoys over 800,000 registered accounts, and said servers were "very, very active".He added: "It's really our belief that for an online multiplayer game, particularly, free-to-play is the best model for gamers and for studios."
    Source

It's a shame but i'm not even surprised. This game has keyboard and mouse written all over it, it just wouldn't be possible with analogue sticks.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    It doesn't need an amazingly powerful computer either I max it out at average 60FPS on a AMD Quad & AMD 5770.

IT needs some basic tweaks like the HUD spamming all sorts of nonsense in the middle of the screen also I couldnt find a way to rejoin the match after I went to spectate but its a good fun fast paced shooter.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Never heard of it

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Me neither, but it looks like fun and it's gonna be free too. The free-to-play model they went with might put some people off, but I think it's definetly worth a try .

http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/Tribes-Asce...ta-Impressions

Elite Sage
    It's a very very fun game. I recommend everyone try it to be honest. It is free after all

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Yeah the fast paced nature would make it almost impossible to play with analog sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by vladTGS View Post
    Me neither, but it looks like fun and it's gonna be free too. The free-to-play model they went with might put some people off, but I think it's definetly worth a try .

http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/Tribes-Asce...ta-Impressions
    Most of the PC gamers here at PSU already play it
    Last edited by gangsta_795; 05-03-2012 at 18:02.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Elite Sage
    Definitely would not work on consoles. Wouldn't want this game turning out like UT3.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelios View Post
    Definitely would not work on consoles. Wouldn't want this game turning out like UT3.
    Tell me about it! That game was a slap in the face to the core UT fanbase.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Tell me about it! That game was a slap in the face to the core UT fanbase.
    For sure. I wasted a lot of time anticipating that game, only to have it fall very very short of my expectations. Tribes fills that void.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I still put a lot of hours into it

Supreme Veteran
    For sure. I wasted a lot of time anticipating that game, only to have it fall very very short of my expectations. Tribes fills that void.
    Was in a clan that specilised in CTF and we all bought Unreal 3 anticipating amazing CTF matches and leagues but due to game bugs such as using widescreen monitor and it not scaling properly (which we still see in many Unreal 3 engine games today bulletstorm for example) very poor performance on some ATI cards (specifiacally X1950 pro which I had at the time) meant hardly anyone that wanted to play could play and those that could play didn't like the gasmeplay for one reason or another.

Also Unreal is alot slower than the games we played.

I remember in Game and the server asking "do you want to pre order any games coming out?" I told him I already ordered Unreal 3 to which he replied "good man, that game is gonna rock." I bet he was disapointed too.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-05-2012 at 19:57.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    I still put a lot of hours into it
    It's not a bad game if you're new to it. But if you're a veteran then it's completely different from the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Was in a clan that specilised in CTF and we all bought Unreal 3 anticipating amazing CTF matches and leagues but due to game bugs such as using widescreen monitor and it not scaling properly (which we still see in many Unreal 3 engine games today bulletstorm for example) very poor performance on some ATI cards (specifiacally X1950 pro which I had at the time) meant hardly anyone that wanted to play could play and those that could play didn't like the gasmeplay for one reason or another.

Also Unreal is alot slower than the games we played.

I remember in Game and the server asking "do you want to pre order any games coming out?" I told him I already ordered Unreal 3 to which he replied "good man, that game is gonna rock." I bet he was disapointed too.
    Those legendary CTF matches man. Especially instagib ones, those were my favorite. Walldodging lasers while running across a map and defending yourself, brings back good memories. I spent a lot of my high school years enjoying the hell out of the game.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    It's not a bad game if you're new to it. But if you're a veteran then it's completely different from the originals.
    lol I've been playing since '99.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    lol I've been playing since '99.
    Oh haha...well in that case, I'm sure you recognize how different the game is, and in a lot of people's opinions, it's pretty trash. It's not as fast paced as it's predecessors, and the online community didn't come close to it either. Not to mention they crippled the mod tools, so no more racing assault maps

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    I know, UT2004 is my favourite. I use a speedup mod on UT3 though and there's some pretty sweet maps. I love the Lego one

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    No big deal. Plenty of other FPS to play on console. Its not like we have a shortage of them. lol

Elite Sage

Those legendary CTF matches man. Especially instagib ones, those were my favorite. Walldodging lasers while running across a map and defending yourself, brings back good memories. I spent a lot of my high school years enjoying the hell out of the game.
    Oh man tell me about it, i used to live and breathe CTF. CTF with instagib on some of the maps proved for some epic battles. I'm trying to remember the name of one of my favorite maps but i can't remember it. You had to run down a thin path to get the other flag and it was like ancient ruins. Such a good game. Me and my friends actually fired it up the other day for a quick DM on Morpheus with Instagib.

/Sigh

They don't make them like that any more

Fun BBK Fact: I was so addicted to UT '99 that i actually sold my desktop in 2006 to stop me from playing it and to try and get back my social life. True story.

Supreme Veteran
    Instagib is a tad easier to rack up the kills due to 1 hit (anywhere) is a guaranteed kill but it is also the most balanced due to there being only 1 weapon and a lot of fun.

$#@! all this unreal talk what about Tribes anyoen stillplaying it?

Elite Sage
    I've not played it in a week or so. I'm in a bit of a gaming lull at the moment. Don't know what to play! bought Batman AC a few days ago and i don't even feel like starting that!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I've not played it in a week or so. I'm in a bit of a gaming lull at the moment. Don't know what to play! bought Batman AC a few days ago and i don't even feel like starting that!
    I think we all go through that. I went through a 2 week period of that just recently.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Instagib is a tad easier to rack up the kills due to 1 hit (anywhere) is a guaranteed kill but it is also the most balanced due to there being only 1 weapon and a lot of fun.

$#@! all this unreal talk what about Tribes anyoen stillplaying it?
    Yeah man I even posted in the Tribes thread to fix up a few games!
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Thread Information