Elite Member

Smaller FPS developers are dying!!

I cant think on how much this is a smack in the face for smaller company's who cant compete with the likes of Call of Duty's, Battlefield's these are money makers but where does it leave those like free rdical who couldnt get anyone to sign on timesplitter 4 an publish it.

but the likes of Medal of Honor, do pretty well but only if it hits EA's target in sales to release another 1 but then again EA's isnt a small comapny!!

Exclusives on the other hand hit pretty big with SONY & MS doing there own FPS games such as HALO & KILLZONE.

Some people do like a change once in a while but every year we see another call of duty or another battlefield but some company's are having trouble getting there games to release because no1 is signing them on to publish there games! where does this leave smaller company's in future? it seems no1 is intrested in other FPS titles other than COD or BF because thats all people seem to buy year on year!!

i like FPS but dont get me wrong i dont want just 2 titles on the market in future with it just being COD & BF i like a various of shooters to release because change is good an seeing the same old stuff gets boring tbh.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    If a small company thinks it can make an FPS game in today's market then they need their head checked. Small studios should be making games like Unfinished Swan, Journey etc. Games that are not another $#@!ing FPS game. The market is already disgustingly over saturated.

3. Likes PhillyPhreak, AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    It's true that it has become increasingly difficult for smaller companies to gain acceptance and obtain a fanbase in today's market because of the two "Big" shooters.

But if you look at the reason the big franchises ruling like that, it's because of the lack of proper competition. Repeatedly launching "bad" games have given those franchises the confidence they need to dominate. If someone comes up with a genuinely good game/formula, I'm sure it won't go unnoticed.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Easy solution to that. Make something else. Why would a smaller studio want to compete against a big studio when they can make any other type of game and have a much better chance of surviving. Make a non shooter quality game and people will buy it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninites View Post
    Easy solution to that. Make something else. Why would a smaller studio want to compete against a big studio when they can make any other type of game and have a much better chance of surviving. Make a non shooter quality game and people will buy it.

That's a very close minded attitude.

So if you're being bullied in school, you should stop going to school right?
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Nexuiz looks lik a decent shooter anyone play it? I think its already out on Xbox the PS3 and PC version releases 10 May and only 8.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/96800

P.S
    It uses Cry Engine 3.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-03-2012 at 18:32.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post
    That's a very close minded attitude.

So if you're being bullied in school, you should stop going to school right?
    That makes no sense. Being bullied and trying to break into an over saturated market are two different things.

Why make another FPS when they can make any other type of genre that's barely touched anymore. When all these developers are making the same thing over and over, it's a smarter choice to separate yourself from the pack and do something different.

Supreme Veteran
    That makes no sense. Being bullied and trying to break into an over saturated market are two different things.

Why make another FPS when they can make any other type of genre that's barely touched anymore. When all these developers are making the same thing over and over, it's a smarter choice to separate yourself from the pack and do something different.

Thats just the same risk if not more as doing an FPS but different to all the others.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-03-2012 at 18:41.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795

Why go to the school you're being bullied in, go to a different one.

So the "pack" consists of just two franchises and so everyone should just let them be and be "different" from the "pack"?

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Nexuiz looks lik a decent shooter anyone play it? I think its already out on Xbox the PS3 and PC version releases 10 May and only 8.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/96800

P.S
    It uses Cry Engine 3.
    Certainly looks good but I'd rather wait for it to launch. On the PC, that is.

More and more "arena" based shooters are coming up, don't you think?
    Last edited by gangsta_795; 05-03-2012 at 18:42.

Supreme Veteran
    Nexuiz has been around for years you can play the free version already on PC the free version uses a heavily modified Quake engine since its open source.

www.alientrap.org/games/nexuiz
    Last edited by keefy; 05-03-2012 at 18:46.

I think small FPS developers need to focus on other creative games. We dont need another FPS we have enough of those, especially if it is from a small team because small teams have a higher chance of failure in the market were COD will come out at least once a year and other games like BF will sell. This doesnt mean they cant go for a hail mary and go for it but if it is the same old formula we have seen in the washed up COD series then they are better off making another type of game. I'm also not saying that they will fail either, there is always a fine line but it is a very small line.

Elite Member
    Not every FPS have to face off with the COD's & BF games we all know what FPS sells like mad! smaller company's could make a FPS to what EA has done with MoH an set a target of sales an copies they wish to sell to make another title if dont make the target of sales or copies move on!! but not every 1 is jumping on board to help smaller company's out to make that happen! not every game has to be up against COD or BF you know! as i recall MoH: Warfighter isnt up against anything this year is it?

Quote Originally Posted by nextgen3 View Post
    Not every FPS have to face off with the COD's & BF games we all know what FPS sells like mad! smaller company's could make a FPS to what EA has done with MoH an set a target of sales an copies they wish to sell to make another title if dont make the target of sales or copies move on!! but not every 1 is jumping on board to help smaller company's out to make that happen! not every game has to be up against COD or BF you know! as i recall MoH: Warfighter isnt up against anything this year is it?
    MoH: Warfighter isnt TECHNICALLY going up against any game but since BF and COD took shots at each other when BF was coming out, there will always be this little fight they have, like friendly competition. Who knows maybe when October comes around the marketing campaign for MoH or Cod will go at each other again.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO

So the "pack" consists of just two franchises and so everyone should just let them be and be "different" from the "pack"?

Certainly looks good but I'd rather wait for it to launch. On the PC, that is.

More and more "arena" based shooters are coming up, don't you think?
    I'm still not getting this bullying analogy.

Two franchises dominate but there are still some others that do well.

All i was saying was for those small devs that are trying to break into this fad, why not try a different genre that'll probably be easier to compete in. Just a better business decision to me.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Yeah Black OPs 2 has been announced right? Launching when?

Yeah Black OPs 2 has been announced right? Launching when?
    Yes and November 13th my good sir

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Thats just the same risk if not more as doing an FPS but different to all the others.
    I meant not doing a FPS at all.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    If a small company thinks it can make an FPS game in today's market then they need their head checked. Small studios should be making games like Unfinished Swan, Journey etc. Games that are not another $#@!ing FPS game. The market is already disgustingly over saturated.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Good. I mean, how many FPS can a gen have?
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

21. Likes Fenix , AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    I meant not doing a FPS at all.

I know what you meant.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427

You need to get off the $#@!ing bullying trip. They're not getting bullied, they failing to make the grade in this area, so they need to switch area's and focus on something else. A person trying to become an engineer in school that is far enough below his peers that he knows he's not going to make it through needs to switch over to something he can handle like maybe business financing.

This has nothing to do with bullying.

Forum Sage
    Build a good game and they will come. Build an average game and they won't.

Yes, one could argue that the FPS genre has too many games but just build something that will stand out. Tribes:A and Nexuiz are good examples of games that are different from the generic mould and so are L4D/Portal.

BBK. Tapatalking.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Unfortunately, these smaller companies aren't going to have some mysterious break, and suddenly have a chance to get their games mainstreamed. Call of Duty and Battlefield are both great franchises, and despite the repetition, they're still bringing new things to the table each year and millions of people are getting on consistently to enjoy the campaigns, cooperative, and online experiences.

I might bash Call of Duty here and there, but that's because I'm spoiled. I've got accustomed to enjoying Call of Duty to the point where I don't enjoy it anymore. But that's not because Call of Duty isn't good, but it's because I'm human, and things get boring after awhile to me. Now that's not something a smaller company can fix; it isn't Call of Duty or Battlefield I'm sick of (despite what some of my posts may imply), it's the FPS genre in general. Smaller companies can't compete with CoD and BF because they're extraordinary games that have yet to decline sales wise.

As noted by a few others, smaller companies need to switch to a genre that isn't over-saturated, and that isn't already dominated by one or more developers. Small developers can make some pretty amazing games (i.e. flOw, Flower, Pixel Junk Monsters, Journey, etc.), but the FPS market is not the market for them.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    perhaps they could reinvent the horror genre...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    You need to get off the $#@!ing bullying trip. They're not getting bullied, they failing to make the grade in this area, so they need to switch area's and focus on something else. A person trying to become an engineer in school that is far enough below his peers that he knows he's not going to make it through needs to switch over to something he can handle like maybe business financing.

This has nothing to do with bullying.
    Overall perhaps not. I was giving an example to that guy which makes complete sense when held in context.

Thread Information