Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Gamecube celebrates 10th birthday in the UK

Nintendo launched its fourth major home console 10 years ago today in Europe. A decade ago, the GameCube was born.

The console launched in a blaze of excitement flared up by a pre-emptive pre-launch price cut. The GameCube launched in the UK for £129, in either purple or black.

Nintendo's launch line-up included the often overlooked Luigi's Mansion, the beautiful water physics of Wave Race: Blue Storm and the best version of a Hoth level ever in a Star Wars game, found in Factor 5's Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader.

Sales started briskly, with 75,000 consoles shifted in the UK during the GameCube's first two days on sale (PlayStation 2 managed 40,000). But the console would spend the majority of its life in third place.

The GameCube eventually notched up a total of 21.74 million sales, a little behind the Xbox, Microsoft's more powerful first console effort (24 million sold). But both would always trail the already-ingrained PS2 (a whopping 153.6 million sold).

The console launched without a Mario title in tow - Super Mario Sunshine followed some months later and achieved commercial success, but fainter critical praise than its N64 counterpart.

Still, the console served as Nintendo's last great period of ingenuity for fresh core franchises: the aforementioned Luigi's Mansion (whose 3DS sequel earned cheers at Nintendo's E3 press conference last year upon its announcement), Pikmin and its delightful sequel Pikmin 2, and the bizarrely addictive Animal Crossing (originally launched in Japan during the dying days of the N64, but then hastily re-released on 'Cube months later).

And while internet message boards initially derided the cartoonish graphics of Zelda: The Wind Waker, time (and sales figures) now hold it as one of the series' finest hours.

Nintendo-sponsored Retro Studios was busy putting itself on the map re-inventing the Metroid series, with the first two entries in the Metroid Prime trilogy offering some of the console's deepest experiences.

The GameCube era saw the controversial sale of Rare to Microsoft, following the disappointing launch of Star Fox Adventures, but a draw up a closer relationship with Capcom. The much-lauded "Capcom Five" deal gained Nintendo initially-exclusive titles such as PN03, Viewtiful Joe, Suda 51's Killer7 and Shinji Mikami masterpiece Resident Evil 4 - a game so good it has been ported to pretty much every platform since.

The deal even spawned a pervasive online rumour that Nintendo was set to buy Capcom in a "megaton" announcement, although the entire episode was a widely-spread internet myth.

Every home console has its own selection of wacky Nintendo accessories, and the GameCube was no different. Nintendo gingerly dipped its toes into the internet era with the console's Broadband Adaptor add-on (usable with Phantasy Star Online and little else), had players shouting at their TVs to control Mario Party 6 and pinball strategy mash-up Odama, hit life-size bongos to control Donkey Konga and tried to convince gamers to hook up their Game Boy Advances with Zelda: The Wind Waker to spend more time with Tingle.

Source

I still have my Gamecube (even though I played more games on the PlayStation 2), mainly for great titles like Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and the enhanced port of Skies of Arcadia.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 05-04-2012 at 21:11.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Forum Sage
    Best console ever IMO. Metroid Prime, Windwaker, SSBM, Viewtiful Joe, Paper Mario, MK: Double Dash, Rouge Squadron, Mario Golf and Super Mario Sunshine (yeah, I said it. Judge me) all on one little black box.

Being able to connect your GBA to it to use in some games was always fun or using the attachment underneath to play GBA games on a big screen was nice!

And the Wavebird controller. I loved everything about it apart from the position of the Z button!

And seeing the tiny size of the disks always surprised me. I was starting at the disk of Mario Sunshine all the way home! The GC was actually the first console I bought with my own money.

I remember when it came out I always wanted the Panisonic Q but it used to cost an arm and a leg! I actually was looking at one on eBay a few weeks ago and they're still around £250

Some $#@! wiped my Memory stick I used with it loosing me all of my saves and most importantly my SSBM save (some characters where a $#@! to get like Falco for example) I was $#@!ing livid - could've killed whoever did it!

BBK. Tapatalking.
    Last edited by BBK..; 05-04-2012 at 10:29.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    We still got out black one, got the Mario Kart bundle. Played the $#@! out of that and Mario Sunshine, which was amazing - best water physics/graphics last gen lol! Played the Zeldas and super smash but other than that not a lot >.<

Dedicated Member
    This was the first of the muliplayer systems in my opinion

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    But... it isn't even a cube... :P

Anyway its crazy that its been 10 years already, I remember playing the hell out of SSB and Mario Sunshine at friends places. SO much fun Also Link in Soul Calibur II, epic

6. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear01 View Post
    What do you mean by that?

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    oh man i had so many memories with this system i got it the christmas after it came out i remember co-op in conflict desert storm and desert storm II,super mario sunshine the first game i got with it along with spider man:the movie,ssb melee,bond games haha it was a blast with splitscreen espcially team deathmatch,mario party of course sadly my purple gamecube died 4 years ago when i was trying to play resident evil 4..R.I.P my gamecube

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    And seeing the tiny size of the disks always surprised me.
    Same here. Although some of their more visually-impressive games came on two discs. Back then, though, I think Nintendo were aiming to design the Gamecube to be something you could easily carry around, unlike the PlayStation 2 and Xbox.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear01 View Post
    Whichever way you meant that.

No.

Look up Xbox.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Whichever way you meant that.

No.

Look up Xbox.
    I'm pretty sure the Sega Dreamcast was the first console to support online play.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    The only game I played a lot on this thing was, Harvest Moon(A wonderful life?).. Best game ever on the console >_>

Of course I also tried my hand with SSB and Mario Sunshine but the latter I hardly touched. Another excellent game was Luigi's Mansion.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Sega Dreamcast was the first console to support online play.
    Yep, and it doesn't get anywhere near enough credit for being the first console to do so.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    That's true.

Daytona USA.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    the dreamcast had online support? wow i really didn't know that

‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by zzKurozz View Post
    the dreamcast had online support? wow i really didn't know that
    Yep Sega World, was basically a 56k Xbox Live.
    PSO, QUAKE ARENA, etc, etc
    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by TGO; 05-06-2012 at 08:33.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Overseer
    Except it was $#@!ty and hardly ever worked.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Happy birthday GameCube, the drinks are on you. The GameCube had some awsome games and i loved playing it
    Last edited by claud3; 05-06-2012 at 15:46.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

19. Likes Kuro likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Oh ok lol no wonder I didn't notice

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Here is the top ten gamecube games enjoy
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information