Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    HitMan00

DmC Dev: 'I don't care if it sells a thousand units or two million'

http://www.ps3center.net//news/5327/...r-two-million/

Developers of the new Devil May Cry game, DmC, have got a lot of hate from fans of the series, who claim that the direction the game is going in is too drastically different. Tameem Antoniades was questioned about the game in PSM3, and responding to a comment by a fan who said the game is unlikely to sell well, he replied:

"Usually the worst creative crimes are made when you're trying to make a game for someone else - some perceived demographic that, in all likelihood, doesn't actually exist."

He also said that the only way to make a successful game is to make a game that the developers themselves want to play. He continues:

"So from that point of view I don't care if it sells a thousand units or two million units."

It seems that the developer has confirmed that they are making a game for themselves, rather than the fans of the game. Surely this is a bad idea? After all, Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were not the most successful games, are they relying on the fact that the franchise has enough fans to create sales, whatever they do to it?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 05-07-2012 at 21:01. Reason: Text should be black

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    the game looks ok not bad but not super good who know's only time will tell

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    The gameplay will have to be extraordinary for it to sell. Nobody likes the new Dante!
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    Sounds like they are admitting to F'n up. Nobody likes "emo-goth" Dante. Btw if producers only made games THEY liked nobody would be a gamer. I stand by my origina statement: "DMC faILs because they a changed a staple that no fan agrees with"
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    once I read this part ""So from that point of view I don't care if it sells a thousand units or two million units."", I knew that guy was full of $#@!. sorry but he does care because technically if it's successful then he made a successful game. No one wants to put the time into a game and not get anything for it. that guy is full of crap.

This is no different then gomer or popular celebrity or whatever else that says something like "I don't do it for money or popularity" it's 100% bs.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

6. Likes DarkVincent07, Mael Duin likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Usually the worst creative crimes are made when you're trying to make a game for someone else
    Says the guy who invited top DmC players from around the world to make the mechanics not ***tty.

So from that point of view I don't care if it sells a thousand units or two million units.
    Says the guy who still ***ches about how nobody bought Enslaved and Heavenly Sword.

Is it just me or is this guy full of crap.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    It's ok, I won't buy it. Even used.

Elite Sage
    "Usually the worst creative crimes are made when you're trying to make a game for someone else - some perceived demographic that, in all likelihood, doesn't actually exist."
    This is actually true and right. However only if we talk about new IP's, not old ones which already have a fanbase. You should not change it too much. With DmC this is now happening.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Great to hear that even the dev doesn't care anymore.

lookatallthefucksigive.jpg

Tapatalkin'

11. Likes Gaddes, Kauldron likes this post
    Super Elite
    I don't care either, I can say I havn't even attempted to complete it.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    i'd rather hear them say that, then blame it one something stupid. it actually has won me over

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    What a double faced douchebag. He blamed Sony for the bad sales of Heavenly Sword, blamed Namco for the sales of Enslaved but now he comes up with this crap? Man, these guys just can't keep their $#@!ing mouths shut.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

15. Likes Gaddes likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Gaddesreinhart
    Items PS3 FatVita
    Tameems kind of a joke in the gaming world. The man thinks he some sort of visionary and you can tell he desperately wants to work in Hollywood. He doesn't care if it doesn't sell? Yeah, bull$#@!. Just release the game Capcom, if it bombs so be it.
    Retired FFXI player. FFXIV player, Malboro Server.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Great to hear that even the dev doesn't care anymore.

lookatallthefucksigive.jpg

Tapatalkin'

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    At this point I'd buy it just to help balance against all the crybabies, but I've gotten kinda interested in the game anyway. I like how Ninja Theory makes games, and I like to support developers who make fun games. I'd play a Metal Gear Solid dating simulator if it was fun.

Shut up and play games

Forum Sage
    I don't think he is wrong in saying that you should design a game that you'd want to play. If that's not what you're working on, why would your heart be in it?

You can't do justice to a game you won't want to play yourself. And when it comes to designing something for others, you really can't. Opinions vary and what some like in a game, others won't.

I don't disagree with him there. When he says he does not care about how much it sells? I don't buy that one at all. He does care and that's why the statements he made before don't have as much weight when he says it.

Where are the sequels to Heavenly Sword and Enslaved if sales don't matter?

20. Likes Suzano-O likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Last time someone said some dumb $#@! like this, their company was folded like a lawn chair. (Oh Zipper, I'm looking at you. lulz) This comment is the stupidest thing I've ever heard come out of anyone's mouth. You should be trying to create a game that your consumers want. But then again, who am I? I don't have anywhere near the money these folks do. Rock on, playa!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

22. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Yes, great designers don't give 2 $#@!s about other people's vision. But great designers are visionaries. Tameem is a man who desperately panders to the pack while pretending to not care, then blames others for his failures.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    "So from that point of view I don't care if it sells a thousand units or two million units."
    How the hell does this guy still have a job with this sort of ideology?

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by THUGGEDOUT View Post
    How the hell does this guy still have a job with this sort of ideology?
    If the game doesn't sell then he won't have a job anymore.

26. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I'll be happy once NT folds. $#@! those guys.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Some of you guys speak truth... they just keep blaming and searching for excuses..

I really enjoyed Heavenly Sword and REALLYYY loved Enslaved... but I can understand why they wouldnt be everyones cup of tea.

DmC is a big, risky move and this can either be the saving grace of the company or its final game. I'd like to see it do well i love DMC1-4 and this new thing is growing on me

Elite Member
    saying that he didnt care if he didnt sell thousands or millions, then there will be no buisness you clown!! how can sum1 be such an ass sayin that. of course you suppose to care otherwise you be out of the job.

Super Elite
    "I wont buy this game because i dont like Dantes haircut" is basically what the gaming community is saying. Atrocious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    this company would be better off with this guy at this point he seems to make more damage than anything, on the other hand its smart of him to keep himself in the limelight it often seems to pay off in the gaming business when you eventually part ways and make another company.

i think most people are over the fact with the new haircut by now. The problem is you can already see alot of the key elements and design are reminiscent of a combination of crapfest Enslaved and DMC2. The enemy design seems like it lacks personality, the camera is frantic like the parts of Enslaved that didnt have a fixed camera position and from the looks of it the combo/battle system looks like a visual pleaser rather than gameplay wise. The levels with gameplay trailers also show that it seems like a rather linear game, something i dont mind if its well executed but i could personally not enjoy a game thats supposed to be frantic with such a stiff camera as this game has, notice how erratic and quick it is when Dante jumps in this trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LP1M...eature=related

With Ninja Theorys history of gameplay not getting deeper the longer you get into the game aswell its hard to be optimistic about this. Enslaveds battle system was repetitive and the upgrades didnt make any variety to it either.

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

Thread Information