Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

Fon's Review: Atelier Totori, The Adventurer of Arland

Platform(s): Playstation 3(Exclusive)
    Developer: Gust
    ESRB: T

Atelier Totori is the second game to the Atelier series in the Playstation 3 - Starting off at a much later date then the first game, Atelier Rorona, you take the role as a novice alchemist, Totori, a young girl eager to become an adventurer to find his lost mother who mysteriously disappeared years ago. Despite her constant inquiry, nobody seems to know what really happened(Other then assume that she's dead) so it's up to you to guide her into finding the truth. You'll meet a number of characters who unfortunately act as overzealous as the next(Well, minus Sterk). This world is full of questionably really good people with no real villains in sight so the real threat you'll encounter here are monsters and demons. Truth be told, the majority of the monsters are hardly intimidating as you will view them as "Cute" with the exception of most optional bosses.

Now getting back to the story: Totori, resident of a small fishing village named, Alanya, has reached the adequate age in order to become an adventurer but in order to freely explore the world, she must receive an Adventurers License which can only be obtained in the capital. Since it's not possible to reach the capital on foot(They're still noobs), they conveniently take a carriage with a party member, Gino, tagging along. Unlucky for them though, they are attacked by a ferocious beast that is too powerful for our to be adventurers but before all hope is lost, the only badass in the game, Sterk(enberg, if you want to use his full name), arrives to the rescue and slays the monster without trouble(Well, they don't show the battle but that's how it was narrated - Lame). After a brief introduction, he explains that he is a knight who is patrolling the area before leaving the team to gather their thoughts and resume their travels. Once you arrive to your destination, you will have to go directly to the Adventurer's guild to view a scene with two girls and finally receive your license(Many characters you'll encounter will be familiar to those who've played Rorona so it's nice seeing old faces and their changes). You can also explore the town if you wish but not much can be done this early in the game so return to your carriage and back home to resume the story. How the story progresses is up to you and most events won't unlock unless time passes and you're present during a certain time frame for them to be available.

I'll explain more about being an adventurer: The game is timed, you only have 3 years to explore the world before your license expires. Once the date of reckoning is up and you haven't reached your rank goal then it's game over and you'll receive the bad ending. If that's the case then relax, the game can be complex at first but with a little knowledge, you can achieve greater heights in your next play-through(Pro tip: if you're going for a second play-through, I suggest that you forge the best weapons for all characters as they will be carried over in new games, making your life a lot easier).

What are ranks for and how can I increase it?: Ranks start at "Glass" for new adventurers and end with "Galaxy". You don't need to reach the latter as it's nearly impossible to obtain unless you're really, really good at the game. Your goal here is "Diamond" in order to obtain an additional 2 year extension to the game(That's an accumulated points of 920). To increase your rank, you'll need to do adventuring requirements such as Alchemy, leveling up, defeating a number of enemies, defeating optional bosses, traveling, etc.. Each one will give you a number of points which are added to your rank status. The more adventuring you complete, the higher the rank you'll receive.

Should I be worried about time?: Very much. Every activity will take time - Alchemy, battles, harvesting, traveling, you name it will take time!. Use your efforts wisely and don't waste travels(You have to use your brain to play this game). You can drastically shorten the amount of time you spend in this game if you create certain items through alchemy(There are three that I know of; One will help you travel faster, another will make you harvest faster and finally a teleportation item that will take you back directly into your home or capital - This will be your saving grace).

Alchemy: It's the main focus of this game and the most useful. It can be difficult to understand at first but with a little practice and understanding, it can become the greatest asset. The most basic can be learned through recipes which you can obtain throughout the story or purchased from shops. Alchemy is also necessary in forging your weapons and depending on how good and knowledgeable you are with the art, it will grant you the best made weapons and items. In order to use alchemy however will require materials which you can obtain during your incursions outside. I won't go into more detail as it's too long and complicated to explain but I got the basics down for you guys(I hope).

Now every RPG can't be enjoyed unless we have some blood(Well not technically). Battles are turn-based so for those old schoolers, this is good news. The thing that irks me however is that it's too simple with just an attack, specials and defend commands available for all characters other then Alchemist who can use items(Note: Alchemist are the only ones that can use items!). But I guess simple is better and this one doesn't need a million commands to be good. There are only two alchemist that can be used in battle but I strongly recommend the party: Totori, Sterk and Mimi as the last two can attack three consecutive times with their specials opposed to the rest that can attack only once with significant damage. What if your alchemist passes out in battle?: If you're fighting a boss then you're screwed but that shouldn't be the case since you can optionally protect her from incoming attacks(This can be used a number of times though). Even though having two alchemists in a party is ideal, battles will be much slower and more riskier as they can fall faster then normal members hence the suggestion about your party setup. If you have the best alchemy items for battle then you shouldn't worry too much about losing(Unless you're severely underlevel).

Final thoughts: The story and characters can be extremely corny to those tough on heart. Despite the theme of the story being noble, just going through it can be a challenge on it's own so I recommend having your doors locked before playing this. If you're one who is looking for a deep storyline then this isn't the game for you. It's a fun game though and one I enjoyed enough to play through three times. I can't comment much about it's music other then that it sounds like standard RPG themes. Some are nice to listen to but don't have anything significant nor memorable to go by. For those skeptical about playing it, I strongly suggest a rental. If you enjoyed it then buy it. That is all I have to say so I hope you enjoyed reading my review!.

2. Likes Gaddes, Kuro , Minnzy likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Good read man, VERY detailed.

Unless I missed it (as I'm half asleep), how long did it take you to beat the game the first time?

Also I just picked up the first one in this 'trilogy', Rorona. I really enjoyed Atelier Iris; Eternal Mana on the PS2 and yeah these games seem waaaayyyyy different. But I'm willing to give it a fair go

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Good read man, VERY detailed.

Unless I missed it (as I'm half asleep), how long did it take you to beat the game the first time?

Also I just picked up the first one in this 'trilogy', Rorona. I really enjoyed Atelier Iris; Eternal Mana on the PS2 and yeah these games seem waaaayyyyy different. But I'm willing to give it a fair go
    The first time I failed, big time so it took me roughly 5-6 hours. Second playthrough took me around 16-ish hours. It all depends on how you spend your time in the game. Thank you for your feedback!.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Yeah I really enjoy your reviews, you write them well, big fan ><

Cheers for the info, at least now I know what to expect!

Super Elite
    I also failed on my first playthrough, I was rather annoyed actually at how it happened but I tried again and did much better. Kinda not the biggest fan of how the time thing works but I did quite enjoy the game and for what it is I found it to be very good at it's job, it doesn't try to be something it's not. Looking forward to the third one due later this month... if I can stop playing D3
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07
    Yeah I really enjoy your reviews, you write them well, big fan ><

Cheers for the info, at least now I know what to expect!
    Hopefully you'll enjoy the game as much as I did!.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    I also failed on my first playthrough, I was rather annoyed actually at how it happened but I tried again and did much better. Kinda not the biggest fan of how the time thing works but I did quite enjoy the game and for what it is I found it to be very good at it's job, it doesn't try to be something it's not. Looking forward to the third one due later this month... if I can stop playing D3
    Haha, I was also annoyed at first when I received the bad ending and likewise, I did much better on my second play-through.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    i'm still on my first playthrough lol i just got mimi to join my party great review man
    i've bought dlc characters awhile back ago for iksel and cordel am i suppose to progress further in the story to unlock them?
    i actually thought when i bought them they'd already be in my party lol

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zzKurozz View Post
    i'm still on my first playthrough lol i just got mimi to join my party great review man
    i've bought dlc characters awhile back ago for iksel and cordel am i suppose to progress further in the story to unlock them?
    i actually thought when i bought them they'd already be in my party lol
    Never bought the DLC because Sterk and Mimi are great staples in this game. I don't know how well the others fair in battle. Thank you for your feedback!.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    Never bought the DLC because Sterk and Mimi are great staples in this game. I don't know how well the others fair in battle. Thank you for your feedback!.
    Your welcome and ok thanks anyways but i also agree that sterk and mimi are awesome characters haven't gotten sterk to join my party yet but judging from that cutscene when he helps you out i'm gonna go on a whim and say hes badass lol

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Thread Information