Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Quote Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post
    MS has been at the forefront of digital media into the living room. MS might look at Blu-ray as an unnecessary competition to that service and decide to go with an hd-dvd like disc format for games next generation.
    Microsoft tried HD-DVD with the 360 and failed miserably. You can't even buy movies in that format anymore. Everything is blu Ray. Think they are gonna necro failed programs?

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    Microsoft tried HD-DVD with the 360 and failed miserably. You can't even buy movies in that format anymore. Everything is blu Ray. Think they are gonna necro failed programs?
    MS didn't have much invested in HD-Dvd though. Its not like they were heavily depending on the success of it. They were smart enough not to put it inside the xbox 360. Its a no brainer as to why they supported that over Blu-Ray.

Soldier 95B
    MS wasn't invested in HD-DVD at all. They just offered an add-on because some consumers wanted it.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    MS wasn't invested in HD-DVD at all. They just offered an add-on because some consumers wanted it.
    yea, that battle was against Toshiba who didn't have the financial backing to continue that battle but times have changed now.

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    Microsoft tried HD-DVD with the 360 and failed miserably. You can't even buy movies in that format anymore. Everything is blu Ray. Think they are gona neco failed programs?
    I'm more talking about MS approach to bringing movies and tv. bluray isn't necessary for MS to provide HD content and could take sales and mindshare away from their digital offerings.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post
    I'm more talking about MS approach to bringing movies and tv. bluray isn't necessary for MS to provide HD content and could take sales and mindshare away from their digital offerings.
    Its quite simple really, if you want quality, you go with the disc. (Blu-Ray)

If you want convenience you go with the digital stream/download.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    nah $#@! having DD only, they'd have a monopoly on the price and we'd get $#@!ed over on games that are years old. I'm not willing to pay 40-50 for games like Cod or Halo which is what they seem to be charging atm (for MW3 atleast anyway)

8. Likes John25 likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Its quite simple really, if you want quality, you go with the disc. (Blu-Ray)

If you want convenience you go with the digital stream/download.
    I have digital 1080p downloads that are an exact duplicate of Blu-ray. Disc doesn't equal quality. The file is what determines quality.

Forum Sage
    I have digital 1080p downloads that are an exact duplicate of Blu-ray. Disc doesn't equal quality. The file is what determines quality.
    Digital 1080p downloads from where?

Soldier 95B
    The best ones I get that are the same as BD quality is through the peer to peer demonoid.me. I only get the ones that I already own on DVD or VHS. I have some on XBL and PSN, but the sound quality is not up to snuff. Hopefully they improve those with the next consoles by offering the real uncompressed files for download.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    and the ease of access, obviously

anyone can purchase a disc, not everyone can download a 1080p rip. i mean i can, but i can't really justify the bandwidth (and i'm not capped - but if you're dl'ding bluray rips you'll certainly be on your isps radar)
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Forum Sage
    The best ones I get that are the same as BD quality is through the peer to peer demonoid.me. I only get the ones that I already own on DVD or VHS. I have some on XBL and PSN, but the sound quality is not up to snuff. Hopefully they improve those with the next consoles by offering the real uncompressed files for download.
    Where do you think those movie torrents are coming from....the Blu- Ray discs.

You will never find the same quality from streaming content and its highly unlikely that any legitimate download service will offer the same quality either.

Short of raw (uncompressed) footage from the camera, noting tops the disc.

14. Likes Ghost likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    True, right now the storage and bandwidth costs (Thanks ISPs!) pretty much prevent any meaningful uncompressed HD streams with all the bells and whistles.

Veteran
    Where do you think those movie torrents are coming from....the Blu- Ray discs.
    ^^ This.
    No more bluray disks = no more illegal bluray rips.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

17. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    ^^ This.
    No more bluray disks = no more illegal bluray rips.
    Which is good. Then I can download them and pay for them legally in a supported format

Veteran
    Which is good. Then I can download them and pay for them legally in a supported format
    Noones stopping you from legally purchasing them now o_O?
    Last edited by faaeng; 05-12-2012 at 00:55.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    not at that quality you couldn't.

i don't personally think its the discs themselves that are encouraging studios to only offer lower quality downloads or streams. i just honestly think that DD is a bit of a mess from the perspective of both the provider and consumer (the lack of variety and the exorbitant pricing for example), and that both the networks and the demand aren't really there yet for the greatest quality. for starters, most people just don't care about 1080p - people happily pay through the nose for 'HD' cable at 720p and are very happy with it. i don't think the trade off between cost, inconvenience and quality makes much sense between the two for the masses.

and secondly, whilst i could download full retail games for example (i'm downloading 18 gigs of gow right now) i generally don't because while my connection is uncapped, it certainly puts me on the 'watch list' for my isp if i do it on a regular basis. this is in the UK on a good connection - we have close to 100MB connections here... but there are 'rules'. i can't max out my connection 24/7, despite being 'unlimited'.

i just really don't see it as practical on a large scale (for films at least). games are a different kettle of fish because you download them more infrequently, and the demand is lower. i honestly think that companies could move towards DD for games, but won't entirely because of the amount of the market they could potentially alienate.
    Last edited by J3ff3; 05-12-2012 at 01:12.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    there are millions of gamers with internet fast enough to support it Look at steam its a content delivery system which you download the games and even when buying the disc only 50% is actually on the disc.

This generation has seen a huge change of the way consoels operate adn are played, they are basically becoming more PC like with every year.
    First it was hard drives and patches
    Downloadable games
    CD-keys/ online pass
    Next gen is taking an even further stesp towards downloadable content guranteed no doubt every game will be offered a a download option and may even work like steam does buy a code form some where input it into xbox.com and ownlaod te game to your drive.

USA Government needs to pull its finger out and help get its internet up to speed so it doesnt lag behind.
    Won't matter when most Worldwide ISP's have Data limits .not to mention Connection throttling for those who download too much in a day and with some games already at 50+GB in Size they will take a lot longer to download than you would think .and thats before you even take the MS/Sony game servers strain into account especially on Release days.

Also the UK is among the Slowest in Europe for Download speeds seeing as the Majority of the Country is still on ADSL/ADSL+2 Connections

And don't forget that while you are downloading a game you won't be able to play online on the console without it Automatically pausing the game downloading.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Noones stopping you from legally purchasing them now o_O?
    I am legally obtaining them. I am only downloading the ones I already own, just the newer format

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    Won't matter when most Worldwide ISP's have Data limits .not to mention Connection throttling for those who download too much in a day and with some games already at 50+GB in Size they will take a lot longer to download than you would think .and thats before you even take the MS/Sony game servers strain into account especially on Release days.

Also the UK is among the Slowest in Europe for Download speeds seeing as the Majority of the Country is still on ADSL/ADSL+2 Connections

And don't forget that while you are downloading a game you won't be able to play online on the console without it Automatically pausing the game downloading.
    I used Steam for years since 2003 when I had a much slower connection (50KB/sec) downloading games sure it took multiple hours but I did the downloads overnight when the net was less congested and when I was not gaming and also when these bandwidth restrictions are not in place.

I am not suggesting xbox or PS3 should go all out digital distribution but just offer every game as a downlaod option for thos that can and want to, why cannot it work for an xbox or a PS3 when it works for PC?

Veteran
    I am legally obtaining them. I am only downloading the ones I already own, just the newer format

uhmmm....yeah.
    If you think so......... =P
    Last edited by faaeng; 05-12-2012 at 03:16.

Elite Member

Would you be able to PM me an invite code? I've been checking that site forever and the registration is always closed and I don't know any members there?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I used Steam for years since 2003 when I had a much slower connection (50KB/sec) downloading games sure it took multiple hours but I did the downloads overnight when the net was less congested and when I was not gaming and also when these bandwidth restrictions are not in place.

I am not suggesting xbox or PS3 should go all out digital distribution but just offer every game as a downlaod option for thos that can and want to, why cannot it work for an xbox or a PS3 when it works for PC?
    Thats just it .how big were games back then ,no were near as big as some of todays games PS3 wise ,plus you would be surprised at when some ISP's apply the throttle connection plus Do you really want to wait to download every new release and what if they go the Ubisoft route where your Console has to be online to play the Games like my Xbox arcade games

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Dyack View Post
    Would you be able to PM me an invite code? I've been checking that site forever and the registration is always closed and I don't know any members there?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    lol Screw torrents school yourself on Newsgroups and never have to wait years for Movies to download ever again
    Last edited by John25; 05-12-2012 at 03:54.

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Well there is no 1080p Dl but you can stream high quality 1080p on VUDU video service using HDX. The picture quality surpasses Blu-ray.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Forum Sage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The MPAA would disagree with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Well there is no 1080p Dl but you can stream high quality 1080p on VUDU video service using HDX. The picture quality surpasses Blu-ray.
    No it isn't even close to equaling blu-ray, never mind surpassing it.

More like somewhat better than a DVD.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/02/te...pogue.htm?_r=1

Thread Information