Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 118

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Forum Sage
    The Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    7,546
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    15,486 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

    Epic: Xbox 720 needs to kill our "over-reliance" on "pieces of spinning plastic"

    http://www.oxm.co.uk/41336/epic-xbox...nning-plastic/
    Well it sounds as though epic is ready to jump start next gen with DD content.
    Last edited by Cuguy; 05-08-2012 at 17:51.

    uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

  2. #2
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well yeah because publishers want to stamp out the used and rented games market.

  3. #3
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Good article. Thanks for posting. I for one am hoping for this.

  4. #4
    Elite Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,047
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    62,725 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Good article. Thanks for posting. I for one am hoping for this.
    Same here. It will happen. The disc's days are numbered.

  5. #5
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Same here. It will happen. The disc's days are numbered.
    Most likely replaced by some alternate physical media but with DD options for every game on the day of release.

  6. #6
    Elite Guru
    J3ff3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,230
    Rep Power
    81
    Points
    7,857 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    it is like any new technology, until it can prove itself as a viable alternative in practice, it wont have the uptake the manufacturers want. in this case im guessing the main sticking point will be portability. console gaming is, or was, inherently sociable. much more so than the pc (which has by and large embraced dd). any console maker may well be shooting themselves in the foot if a competitor offers hardcopies
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

  7. #7
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Same here. It will happen. The disc's days are numbered.
    The sooner the legacy optical disks are gone the better. Now, just give us our new consoles!

  8. #8
    Elite Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,047
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    62,725 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    The sooner the legacy optical disks are gone the better. Now, just give us our new consoles!
    That move will also cut costs too. I'm guessing it will be a hybrid system. That's the safest way.

  9. #9
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,824
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    6,612,300 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Cool, Epic can also become a global ISP, laying the infrastructure necessary and offering the uncapped data plans needed to bring the net up to speed to make DD only a viable option. Or they can just keep shipping their games in a medium that is available to everyone, including those who still (and will for some time to come) put up with substandard internet.

  10. #10
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Cool, Epic can also become a global ISP, laying the infrastructure necessary and offering the uncapped data plans needed to bring the net up to speed to make DD only a viable option. Or they can just keep shipping their games in a medium that is available to everyone, including those who still (and will for some time to come) put up with substandard internet.
    +rep

  11. #11
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    That move will also cut costs too. I'm guessing it will be a hybrid system. That's the safest way.
    +rep agreed


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  12. #12
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,124
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    44,869 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I am fully and wholeheartedly up for this.....so ong as the ISPs around the world provide decent speeds and/or cap limits.

    I know most of you Yanks don't really care about anyone else () but not everyone else has high speed internet (capable of downloading games within an acceptable time) and/or cap limit.

    Maybe South Korea...


    Apart from that, everyone else's ISPs are very restrictive.
    I am the oncoming storm.



  13. #13
    Superior Member
    TEJ2025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    679
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    1,603 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I am fully and wholeheartedly up for this.....so ong as the ISPs around the world provide decent speeds and/or cap limits.

    I know most of you Yanks don't really care about anyone else () but not everyone else has high speed internet (capable of downloading games within an acceptable time) and/or cap limit.

    Maybe South Korea...


    Apart from that, everyone else's ISPs are very restrictive.
    Not every "Yank" has high enough internet speeds to download huge games either
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

  14. #14
    Elite Member
    D3seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Severn, Maryland
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Posts
    1,831
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    1,932 (20,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by TEJ2025 View Post
    Not every "Yank" has high enough internet speeds to download huge games either
    That's actually what was said, or meant anyways, and that is my view on the matter as well. EPIC better be upping the infrastructure needed for such or they can take their DD dreams and shove somewhere unpleasant until enough of the world actually has high speed internet an no/high data caps. Until then I for one will proudly keep my physical media.


  15. #15
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,824
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    6,612,300 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Epic: DD only $#@!es!

    The world:


  16. #16
    Forum Elder
    $Greatness$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Posts
    2,965
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    26,689 (5,000 Banked)
    Items User name style
    The day they're done with physical mediums, so am I.


    $Greatness$ Awaits™


  17. #17
    Master Guru
    TDbank24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,828
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    38,432 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    The day they're done with physical mediums, so am I.
    Yup. Go full digital distribution and i'm out. I'll just play the consoles i already have and stick to my MMORPG, FFXI.


  18. #18
    Veteran
    jj03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,575
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    6,704 (0 Banked)
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    The day they're done with physical mediums, so am I.
    This. ^^

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

  19. #19
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,984
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    63,962 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    there are millions of gamers with internet fast enough to support it Look at steam its a content delivery system which you download the games and even when buying the disc only 50% is actually on the disc.

    This generation has seen a huge change of the way consoels operate adn are played, they are basically becoming more PC like with every year.
    First it was hard drives and patches
    Downloadable games
    CD-keys/ online pass
    Next gen is taking an even further stesp towards downloadable content guranteed no doubt every game will be offered a a download option and may even work like steam does buy a code form some where input it into xbox.com and ownlaod te game to your drive.


    USA Government needs to pull its finger out and help get its internet up to speed so it doesnt lag behind.

  20. #20
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,007
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    43,916 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    there are millions of gamers with internet fast enough to support it Look at steam its a content delivery system which you download the games and even when buying the disc only 50% is actually on the disc.

    This generation has seen a huge change of the way consoels operate adn are played, they are basically becoming more PC like with every year.
    First it was hard drives and patches
    Downloadable games
    CD-keys/ online pass
    Next gen is taking an even further stesp towards downloadable content guranteed no doubt every game will be offered a a download option and may even work like steam does buy a code form some where input it into xbox.com and ownlaod te game to your drive.


    USA Government needs to pull its finger out and help get its internet up to speed so it doesnt lag behind.
    #1: The usefulness of a computer is greatly diminished without an internet connection.

    #2: The US government has more important things to worry about and there is no reason to increase the size of the federal govt for such a petty thing.

    Though it may be in the interest of state governments to find ways to provide rural areas with reliable, reasonable fast broadband internet access at competitive prices.

    And to all the people advocating for day 1 retail game downloads, do you really think Sony/MS/Nintendo have the resources and bandwidth to allow the downloading of games by hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of gamers in a short span of time (pre downloads like steam does) around release?

    Not to mention B&M/online retailers would probably throw a fit.

    There could also be significant negative impacts on the used game market.

    And since its likely MS will adopt blu-ray with the next xbox, games sizes should increase as well.


    Plus even if a person has an ISP that provides them with good speeds, they will likely hit their bandwidth caps very quickly. (even more of an issue with larger games next gen)

  21. #21
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    And to all the people advocating for day 1 retail game downloads, do you really think Sony/MS/Nintendo have the resources and bandwidth to allow the downloading of games by hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of gamers in a short span of time (pre downloads like steam does) around release?
    Sony already does it.

    And since its likely MS will adopt blu-ray with the next xbox, games sizes should increase as well.
    I doubt that. I think they are going to avoid the old legacy formats of optical for a new medium.

  22. #22
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,007
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    43,916 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Sony already does it.



    I doubt that. I think they are going to avoid the old legacy formats of optical for a new medium.
    Ok, and how many people take up sony on that offer? Just imagne what would happen with exclusive pre order content/bonuses offered to people who downloaded the games off of PSN/XBL.

    Sure a few people may elect to DL the games online, but the vast majority buy physical copies.

    And we've been over the blu-ray thing. It isn't cost effective for MS not to use an optical disc like blu-ray and MS isn't one to ignore industry standards, like Blu-Ray.

  23. #23
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Ok, and how many people take up sony on that offer? Just imagne what would happen with exclusive pre order content/bonuses offered to people who downloaded the games off of PSN/XBL.

    Sure a few people may elect to DL the games online, but the vast majority buy physical copies.

    And we've been over the blu-ray thing. It isn't cost effective for MS not to use an optical disc like blu-ray and MS isn't one to ignore industry standards, like Blu-Ray.
    Opinion noted. Agree to disagree.

  24. #24
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,984
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    63,962 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Ok, and how many people take up sony on that offer? Just imagne what would happen with exclusive pre order content/bonuses offered to people who downloaded the games off of PSN/XBL.

    Sure a few people may elect to DL the games online, but the vast majority buy physical copies.

    And we've been over the blu-ray thing. It isn't cost effective for MS not to use an optical disc like blu-ray and MS isn't one to ignore industry standards, like Blu-Ray.

    All this bandwidth and netspeed nonsense was debated in 2003 and back then we all had far worse internet than we do now and even then it was doomed to fail.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-09-2012 at 23:25.

  25. #25
    Master Poster

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,487
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    6,443 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post

    And we've been over the blu-ray thing. It isn't cost effective for MS not to use an optical disc like blu-ray and MS isn't one to ignore industry standards, like Blu-Ray.
    MS has been at the forefront of digital media into the living room. MS might look at Blu-ray as an unnecessary competition to that service and decide to go with an hd-dvd like disc format for games next generation.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.