Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Dedicated Member
    This is ridiculous. Sony Santa Monica has made nothing but amazing games, I see no reason for that to change. They have literally doubled their size since they finished GoW3, they haven't even shown anything other then one multiplayer match, which looks AWESOME. You guys $#@! and moan about everything. This is just like the $#@! fest that arose when Naughty Dog announced they were adding multiplayer. Guess what happened? The single player was AMAZING and the multiplayer was a ton of fun, especially the coop.

God forbid Sony Santa Monica try something new!!!! I must have been the only person who actually wanted something like this to happen. They've figured out the perfect way to do God of War style multiplayer, you should all be impressed and excited, instead I all see is a bunch of $#@!ing and moaning. People talking about their excitement for the game dieing despite not seeing anything of the single player game! I'm sure once we get an actual trailer and get closer to release a lot of peoples tones are going to change...

Also if you want GoW on Vita then don't $#@! at Sony Santa Monica, they've never done a PSP game. People $#@! about GoW getting milked then they $#@! about there not being plans for GoW on Vita. I would prefer that they focus on PS3, far better visuals, which is what they do best (along with gameplay). I don't even own a Vita yet, and I'm not sure that I will, seeing as how every PSP game I ever owned is now available on PS3.
    Last edited by bigCman123; 05-11-2012 at 20:59.

2. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    they collaborated with Ready at Dawn when making Chains of Olympus and and Ghost of Sparta, which are two of the best psp games that have been released imo. The vita needs titles like this to boost sales and you can be sure that if they made another GoW game with RaD it would be brilliant. I do know where your coming from, I was disappointed when they announced a new Jak and Daxter game which was for the psp because it had been 4 years since the last game and I expected that after that amount of time they would released it for the ps3. I don't think anyone is asking for this to be released on a handheld instead of a console, would just be nice to know that there would be a game for the future. They really showed what the psp could do with graphics, sound and gameplay when they released chains of olympus and it would be amazing if they could do the same for the vita.

as for the multiplayer, i cant wait to try it.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    It's Santa Monica Studio of course it'll be good.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

5. Likes bigCman123, Nitey , Ghost likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    I'm not so much concerned about the level size as I am that it's ANOTHER prequel. Let the franchise go, do something new.

I already stated I'll see how the game looks, don't bite my head off for not reading my entire post.

7. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Apprentice
    Wait a minute...

You people care about SALES? For goodness' sake, Sony is a MEGA-CORPORATION! They have so much money, you can't even imagine. And you care about them not selling enough PS Vita's? And that a GOW title for Vita would "boost Vita sales"?

I care about a good experience on MY console. On the PS3. I don't give a EFF about Sony or any other corporation. I don't get this... Why would you sacrifice your own money to make a hyper-rich corporation even richer?

I hope they never again make a GOW title for a handheld. It just sucks big time. I was soooo happy when the GOW Origins Collection (also called GOW Collection Volume 2) was released for PS3.

Care for yourself and the people around you, not for HUGE companies. They do what they do anyway. You don't have to "help them out". Lol I can't believe this. Is this the generation I live in? People caring about mega corporations?

I don't want to offend anybody. I just wanted to make my point of view more clear.

I'm excited for Ascension. It has the potential to be the best GOW ever released. Of course - GOW3 is the grand finale, but we don't know yet if there's gonna be a sequel or a "new trilogy" (or whatever - one sequel, two sequels, or even four? lol) after GOW3. But GOW3 has its flaws. It's not perfect. But it's god damn awesome. But now think for a moment: The people who made GOW3 make GOW Ascension. They learnt a LOT from GOW3. They built an amazing engine. They know the hardware. They know their software. They know their tools. They can make a game that lives up to be the great finale for the PS3, like GOW2 was for the PS2.

Now that they mastered their engine and everything, they can make a nice leap forward in terms of graphics, sound, and overall quality of the game. I mean just look at the multiplayer trailer... the effects were amazing. The graphics looked stunning. The cyclops (Todd Papy calls it "megalops" lol) looked so good, I thought it was a pre-rendered cutscene or enhanced in-engine trailer with the graphics turned up to maximum, and rendered out on a (or several) PC, when I first saw it. You know, that engine is capable of much more. Just look at the cutscenes in GOW3.
    For example:

And that's just multiplayer... imagine what SP will look like. I don't expect it to look a lot better, but about 15% better. But you know, they still got time until March 2013 (I'm pretty sure that Ascension will be released in March 2013, because every single GOW title was released in March if I remember correctly)... remember the GOW3 demo? It looked great, yes... and I even preferred some effects from the demo that were removed in the final game. Most importantly: The "air distortion" effect when Kratos slams his blades to the ground (for example square+square+triangle, the "plume of Prometheus"). This creates a fire (which looks much better in the final game IMO), and in the demo, the fire creates heat (obviously) that causes a distortion effect above the fire (which looks better than in the final game, because in the final game, there is no distortion effect).
    But besides that, the final game looks and feels much better. Much more polished, much more well thought through... And it will be the same for Ascension. I don't expect the multiplayer to be anything that will last me for days of gameplay time, but from what I've seen so far, it will be fun. That's all that matters. And from what I've heard in the interview with Todd Papy, the multiplayer will feature customization and many unlocks. Trojans vs Spartans... four gods to choose from (to align with), different weapons, different skirts, shoulder pieces, gauntlets, sandals, helmets, chest pieces, tattoo's and body paint, different perks and weapon customizations... sounds pretty deep.

I hope they show more multiplayer at E3 - and of course: I want to see singleplayer. I'm so curious what the graphics look like and how the new Kratos model looks.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bigCman123 View Post
    This is ridiculous. Sony Santa Monica has made nothing but amazing games, I see no reason for that to change. They have literally doubled their size since they finished GoW3, they haven't even shown anything other then one multiplayer match, which looks AWESOME. You guys $#@! and moan about everything. This is just like the $#@! fest that arose when Naughty Dog announced they were adding multiplayer. Guess what happened? The single player was AMAZING and the multiplayer was a ton of fun, especially the coop.

God forbid Sony Santa Monica try something new!!!! I must have been the only person who actually wanted something like this to happen. They've figured out the perfect way to do God of War style multiplayer, you should all be impressed and excited, instead I all see is a bunch of $#@!ing and moaning. People talking about their excitement for the game dieing despite not seeing anything of the single player game! I'm sure once we get an actual trailer and get closer to release a lot of peoples tones are going to change...

Also if you want GoW on Vita then don't $#@! at Sony Santa Monica, they've never done a PSP game. People $#@! about GoW getting milked then they $#@! about there not being plans for GoW on Vita. I would prefer that they focus on PS3, far better visuals, which is what they do best (along with gameplay). I don't even own a Vita yet, and I'm not sure that I will, seeing as how every PSP game I ever owned is now available on PS3.
    Well said.

Now, onto some constructive concerns, the multiplayer looks interesting and I can think of tons of possibilities they can play around with (shape, space, team combinations, etc), but one of the more important decision I think they're facing is the core mechanic for the multiplayer. If they adopt the canon god of war mechanics, how well do they lend to multiplayer encounters so that it's not just a matter of who pushed the attack button first?

I mean the mechanics for the mp will have to be modified to add layers of skill and depth, more technicalities akin to fighting games, rather than the easy pick up and mash mechanics of the single player game. But how far can they push that in a free-roaming mp map, how much technical timing and button combinations can you implement into the system before the free-moving just gets bogged down to tedium?

From the video of that one level, the ambition is high. It's going for that Power Stone vibe/mechanic, but it's too hard to tell how much technical skill is actually implemented into the combat.

Elite Member
    Holy verticle suicide drops of ugly $#@!ing text, Batman!...

11. Likes AaronSOLDIER , Sylar likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Quote Originally Posted by MBS D@v!d View Post
    I'm excited for Ascension. It has the potential to be the best GOW ever released. Of course - GOW3 is the grand finale, but we don't know yet if there's gonna be a sequel or a "new trilogy" (or whatever - one sequel, two sequels, or even four? lol) after GOW3. But GOW3 has its flaws. It's not perfect. But it's god damn awesome. But now think for a moment: The people who made GOW3 make GOW Ascension. They learnt a LOT from GOW3. They built an amazing engine. They know the hardware. They know their software. They know their tools. They can make a game that lives up to be the great finale for the PS3, like GOW2 was for the PS2.

Now that they mastered their engine and everything, they can make a nice leap forward in terms of graphics, sound, and overall quality of the game. I mean just look at the multiplayer trailer... the effects were amazing. The graphics looked stunning. The cyclops (Todd Papy calls it "megalops" lol) looked so good, I thought it was a pre-rendered cutscene or enhanced in-engine trailer with the graphics turned up to maximum, and rendered out on a (or several) PC, when I first saw it. You know, that engine is capable of much more. Just look at the cutscenes in GOW3.
    All you do is talk about aesthetics. Some of us care about story, which should be the real driving force of singleplayer right next to gameplay.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Wait a minute...

You people care about SALES? For goodness' sake, Sony is a MEGA-CORPORATION! They have so much money, you can't even imagine. And you care about them not selling enough PS Vita's? And that a GOW title for Vita would "boost Vita sales"?

I care about a good experience on MY console. On the PS3. I don't give a EFF about Sony or any other corporation. I don't get this... Why would you sacrifice your own money to make a hyper-rich corporation even richer?

I hope they never again make a GOW title for a handheld. It just sucks big time. I was soooo happy when the GOW Origins Collection (also called GOW Collection Volume 2) was released for PS3.

Care for yourself and the people around you, not for HUGE companies. They do what they do anyway. You don't have to "help them out". Lol I can't believe this. Is this the generation I live in? People caring about mega corporations?

I don't want to offend anybody. I just wanted to make my point of view more clear.
    dude if they don't sell units then developers will not make games for it. Also sony is in the $#@! at the moment, if not pretty close to it with the amount of money they've been losing, so yeah they need to sell more units to be able to develop it further. I'm also sacrificing my money for my own enjoyment, I don't care if sony, microsoft or nintendo get my money, as long as im happy with what i receive. I think thats caring for myself and my needs

Apprentice
    *offtopic in terms of GOW*
    I won't go into detail, because that's not worth the effort. Mega-corporations like Sony are controlled by even bigger corporations which are run by a few people. Sony has no financial problems. If you really believe all the lies about "losses" and if you really look at the sales... my god... all I can recommend in that case is: Grow up. There's better things to do than looking at console sales numbers. But the point is... THEY have so much money and ressources, they will make games forever. Games (media in general), movies and TV are some of the biggest (if not the biggest, besides "education") influences on people's paradigms that determine their perceptions of themselves and the world they live in. They won't let that go. Go check how money really works and what it is. You're gonna be shocked ^^ THEY don't have financial problems. You have financial problems. But not them... lol made my day.
    */offtopic in terms of GOW*

Yes I spoke of overall quality of the product (graphics, sound, environments...). But I also meant the story. When I said that Ascension has the potential to be THE best GOW game in the entire series, I meant that Kratos' backstory hasn't been covered and that there's a huge story to be told. GOW3's story is pretty simple (but still good).

What's going to be interesting is if Athena already manipulates Kratos in Ascension. Did anyone notice that? Athena manipulates Kratos from day one on... Since Chains Of Olympus, she manipulated him to do all the things she told him to do. Even in GOW3 - until the very end - she manipulated him. And when he crushed her plan, she was visibly pissed off.

That's what I though of... maybe there WILL be a GOW IV. Because Athena is still there, and some other gods. But Athena wants all the power, so she could be the main antagonist. Maybe she kills the remaining gods and gets even more power (maybe she even gets her "physical body" back). But that's just wild speculation.

When is E3? 5th of June until the 7th of June? God... that's several weeks to wait.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    I won't go into detail, because that's not worth the effort. Mega-corporations like Sony are controlled by even bigger corporations which are run by a few people. Sony has no financial problems. If you really believe all the lies about "losses" and if you really look at the sales... my god... all I can recommend in that case is: Grow up. There's better things to do than looking at console sales numbers. But the point is... THEY have so much money and ressources, they will make games forever. Games (media in general), movies and TV are some of the biggest (if not the biggest, besides "education") influences on people's paradigms that determine their perceptions of themselves and the world they live in. They won't let that go. Go check how money really works and what it is. You're gonna be shocked ^^ THEY don't have financial problems. You have financial problems. But not them... lol made my day.
    It's up to you if you wanna believe it or not but video games like anything else is a business and even MS which is the biggest software conglomerate of the world has to make games that sell as well. No one is exempt from our economic crisis, and many studios (albeit mostly third party) have closed caused of it. Don't be naive in thinking just because a big corporate looks like it has all the money it needs, means they can make whatever game they want with no consequence.

Yes I spoke of overall quality of the product (graphics, sound, environments...). But I also meant the story. When I said that Ascension has the potential to be THE best GOW game in the entire series, I meant that Kratos' backstory hasn't been covered and that there's a huge story to be told. GOW3's story is pretty simple (but still good).
    It's been told since GOW 1, there just wasn't actually a game about it... till I guess now.

When is E3? 5th of June until the 7th of June? God... that's several weeks to wait.
    Not several weeks. Not even four. It'll be here in due time. Personally I don't need it before July necessarily but I can make due.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    All you do is talk about aesthetics. Some of us care about story, which should be the real driving force of singleplayer right next to gameplay.
    Then I don't get how a multiplayer would affect your perception of Ascension. All they've shown so far doesn't suggest anything about the story or single player mechanics so at this point single player is a blank slate as far as I can tell.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    I'm not so much concerned about the level size as I am that it's ANOTHER prequel. Let the franchise go, do something new.

I already stated I'll see how the game looks, don't bite my head off for not reading my entire post.
    I'll agree, I was hoping that Sony Santa Monica had moved on to a new franchise that was just as badass as God of War (and no not just another Mythology... that idea comes up WAY too much, how about Science Fiction with BIG ASS alien monsters and space travel and if you want to add gods in do it like Thor does and make them a badass alien race).

They really need to move on to something new, but I really like what I'm hearing with Ascension, and honestly I can't say no to God of War when developed by Sony Santa Monica (or anything by them, and yes Ready At Dawn did an awesome job they have a ton of talent).

Also, I'm not sure if you were referencing my rant post earlier, but it was more of a response to the general negative aura that this thread has been giving off.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456

What's going to be interesting is if Athena already manipulates Kratos in Ascension. Did anyone notice that? Athena manipulates Kratos from day one on... Since Chains Of Olympus, she manipulated him to do all the things she told him to do. Even in GOW3 - until the very end - she manipulated him. And when he crushed her plan, she was visibly pissed off.

That's what I though of... maybe there WILL be a GOW IV. Because Athena is still there, and some other gods. But Athena wants all the power, so she could be the main antagonist. Maybe she kills the remaining gods and gets even more power (maybe she even gets her "physical body" back). But that's just wild speculatio

Something tells me your the one who needs to grow up mate, if you can't accept my opinion that's fine but you don't have to be condensating towards other people and insult them just because you don't agree.

Apprentice
    I didn't want to insult anybody. If I did (it never was my intention) - I'm sorry. I'm just putting out information (like everyone else) that I think seems right.

But I have the right - like everyone else - to say what I think, and if that insults someone, it tells us more about that person than me.

Comment on the offtopic discussion about the economy and mega corporations:

I'll just wait for the game to come out and that's it.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrtchng View Post
    Then I don't get how a multiplayer would affect your perception of Ascension. All they've shown so far doesn't suggest anything about the story or single player mechanics so at this point single player is a blank slate as far as I can tell.
    They haven't shown single player but the OP clearly has various comments about it. If they had shown nothing and said nothing, then there'd be no reason to have any opinion but they stated various details. Nothing major but painting part of a picture (so to speak) is more than nothing, even if it's not a video.

Thread Information