Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Favourite classic Resident Evil?

Hi guys,

Being PSU's resident, erm, Resident Evil fanatic, I was curious to know what you guys thought of the original PlayStation trilogy, specifically what game is your favorite?

Personally I hold Resi 1- 3 as untouchable gems; they're quintessentially old-school survival horror, and each one stands on its own merits. I would say that the original Resident Evil is my favorite, and this just so happens to be one of my all-time favorite games to boot, so that's not a surprise. I just found the mix of puzzles, exploration and combat perfect.

For me, RE2 was a fantastic sequel that really upped the ante in terms of boss battles and set-pieces, and the addition of the 'B scenario' was a great idea. RE3 on the other hand introduced what in my eyes is the best B.O.W. in the entire series' history, namely the titular Nemesis. The dodge mechanic and ammo creation tool were great additions to the established formula, and it was definitely one of the more challenging RE games out there.

Even today, despite the outdated visuals, the pre-rendered backgrounds are a joy to behold, and you can see how great the art direction is, which is why they still stand up in my eyes.

Anyway, I could spend hours extolling the virtues of these games. How about you guys? Got any memories to share? Let's have it!
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    O.G Resident Evil all the way. The music, the scares, everything about it was ace. It was one of my first PlayStation titles and will always live on in my gaming heart as a masterpiece, along with Tomb Raider and MGS. I played 2 and 3 as well, but they could never match the awesomeness of RE for me.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    For me it had to be the first freaking mansion got to me back then but my other fav is Re2 great one still playing it actually

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Resident Evil 2 was the best in every way possible.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

You're welcome, $#@!es..

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Easy - the first one. Still my favourite out of the entire series.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

7. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    ^ It's rare I find someone who prefers the original game like I do, so respect. For some reason it is often overlooked in favor of RE2 (or 3, for that matter), which I can understand. However, it's just as good IMO. That, or people simply dismiss it for the remake.

To be honest, it rather annoys me when people say it is horribly dated but still cite RE2 as one of the best games in the series, when mechanically RE2 is no different. Nemesis was the game that evolved the series, albeit incrementally, with the dodge move, ammo mixing, 180 turn etc. Still, I love all three.

I'll also admit that i'm one of those people who prefer the original RE1 to the remake. Visually nothing can touch the remake, and the atmosphere was superb. However, the original was far less linear; Remake eschewed many of the choices you could make, such as joining or leaving Barry in the caves, or bringing Rebecca with you after meeting her in the storm room. As such, RE1 offered far more paths to follow narratively speaking. One of my favorite scenes was having Barry with you when Enrico dies, or when you wait for him to drop you the rope -- none of these were in the remake.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Probably because a lot of people prefer the setting of a city rather than in a mansion, but IMO that's why it was so good. Plus that's how it got the name Resident, for the later games this title makes no sense really. Biohazard is still the best title for it though I think.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Yeah, Biohazard is awesome. It's funny when you mention this to some 'fans' and they either think you're talking about the band or don't have a clue.

But yeah, the mansion was a great location, and much more suited to the survival horror genre than a destroyed city. Raccoon was great, don't get me wrong, but there's a far more palpable sense of isolation and claustrophobia to be had in the mansion.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LadyDuoMaxwell
    Items Yuna3d dot game heroesFinal Fantasy Tactics
    The very first one without a doubt. It is practically my childhood along with Sonic the Hedgehog and Power Rangers.

This is just a little trivia in case you are all interested. One of the main reasons why they changed the title name is because there is already a DOS game (though practically unknown) called "Biohazard." I assume CAPCOM wanted to avoid confusion or legal troubles.

3DS: 1161-0781-8406
    STEAM: LadyDuoMaxwell

12. Likes Mike_Harradence likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    The first one was also my very first videogame so this is no contest, really.

Still, I love all three (or four if you include Code Veronica X).

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Not to join the bandwagon, but easily the first game for me as well. It's the game that got me into the survival horror genre. Won't forgot being too scared to even play it the first time. Very few games got my heart pumping like RE1.

15. Likes Mike_Harradence likes this post
    Wow, you guys rock, heh. I've never seen so much appreciation for the original. It's funny how all the RE forums i've been to over the past decade, hardly anyone cited the original as their favorite. Most put it towards the bottom of the pile, which was sad to see. I mean, each to their own and all that, but still, I think it's hugely underrated and lives in RE2's shadow most of the time.

Well, this has got me thinking...did you guys prefer RE1 in the original format, or the 'Advanced' setting from Director's Cut?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    Code veronica was my favorite loved the new weapons and the bosses were awesome. But everything up tell 4 are all great games. 4 & 5 were fun games but no zombies so I don't count them

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Harradence View Post
    Wow, you guys rock, heh. I've never seen so much appreciation for the original. It's funny how all the RE forums i've been to over the past decade, hardly anyone cited the original as their favorite. Most put it towards the bottom of the pile, which was sad to see. I mean, each to their own and all that, but still, I think it's hugely underrated and lives in RE2's shadow most of the time.

Well, this has got me thinking...did you guys prefer RE1 in the original format, or the 'Advanced' setting from Director's Cut?
    The Original

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I only played the original version as well as the gamecube one (which was pretty good). Never tried out the Director's Cut.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    Director cut i like getting to play all the extra stuff and starting with my gear

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Dedicated Member
    Honestly the only RE game I've played is the first one (I bought the original 3 on PSN a year or two ago). I started playing it and enjoyed it to an extent. It was scary, but mostly because of how slow it was and how defenseless you are since the controls are so... Lets say old school, they just aren't very easy to use. But I understand it was the PS1 era and analog sticks weren't on the dualshock yet. The controls did make it scary though, along with the way they did the gamesave system. I got to a point were I wasn't sure what to do next and wandered all around the mansion. Decided I had other things I had to do and other games to play so I stopped. Sadly haven't gone back to finish it yet. I want to get into the RE franchise, but I haven't taken the time to do so lately.

RE1 has some of the funniest dialog in a game I've ever heard though.
    Last edited by bigCman123; 05-26-2012 at 22:20.

Forum Sage
    Getting to the old ones now (after getting use to the new controls) will be hard. Anyhow, my favorite, if I have to pick one....has to be Resident Evil 3.

Elite Member
    Items Tommy VercettiGameboy PurpleNintendoThe X-Files
    REmake followed closely by the third.

If you can stomach the controls then the originals are absolutely worth experiencing, though as long as you realize they play totally different to the post-RE4 titles.

!! Watch Your Step !!
    Items Final Fantasy VIIPlayStationPS3 Slim
    for me, the first Res Evil was such a stand out game from just about everything that had come before, that is will always have a place in my heart, my mum and girlfriend used to watch me play that one, from behind the sofa

and it has some of the best acting ever, 'i hope that isn't Chris' blood'
    Now Playing: PS4!!!!
    Join us for some online LOLZ - The BnW Clan est. 2008

The second one

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Items Protect yourselfFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVAtlusTidusAuronFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Maybe because it was the first one in the series i played, but for me Resident Evil 2.

Great characters, story, scary moments and loads of puzzles to solve. Epic game. Don't know why but just couldn't take to the first one in the same way

PSN ID: gersfc

PSN ID: gersfc

Twitter ID: gers_PSU
    Twitch ID: 19gers87
    Youtube Channel: gers87fc

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ShadowKingpin
    Items User name style
    Resident Evil 2 for me. The environment was perfect.

Thread Information