Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Helm_of_Darkness
    Items User name style

New Computer ideas

I recently had a thread about a Desktop I'm paying on for Aaron's. Everyone has convinced me that what I'm getting isn't worth it ($1,231 for a computer that can't even play GTA IV properly).

My question is, does anyone have any ideas on what computer I should buy, that's of course under $1,231 and is better than the one I have?

Specs of current desktop:
    • ATI Radeon HD 3000
    • AMD Athlon II X2 2.8 GHz processor
    • 4 GB RAM
    I want a computer that's already made, I don't want to build one myself. I know it would be better, but I'm not experienced with that. I don't want to attempt it and not be able to, which would be a waste of money.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by TreK****r View Post
    I recently had a thread about a Desktop I'm paying on for Aaron's. Everyone has convinced me that what I'm getting isn't worth it ($1,231 for a computer that can't even play GTA IV properly).

My question is, does anyone have any ideas on what computer I should buy, that's of course under $1,231 and is better than the one I have?

I want a computer that's already made, I don't want to build one myself. I know it would be better, but I'm not experienced with that. I don't want to attempt it and not be able to, which would be a waste of money.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/08/a...ming-desktops/

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Dell XPS....
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8500/pd?~ck=mn

you can select your own pieces that will come in/with it, except the GPU. though, i think they're better then what you've got currently, im not sure.
    i think that xps line is new??? and therefore has a new mid range GPU from AMD?? someone else will have to confirm that.

if you save money here though just buy a new PSU and GPU, Dells a very neatly packed inside so finding and swapping the bits aren't hard. and it literally only takes a few screws, literally! if the PSU is sufficient, then its even less work! just pull out the old and plug in the new[GPU].

EDIT:
    I don't really know what you consider "play" also. im happy with 30fps med settings mostly, for higher end games. to that end i'll add this too

Last edited by Fijiandoce; 05-10-2012 at 03:02.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

4. Likes TreKKiker likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I'd just order a Alienware X51.
    I'm tempted to buy one myself.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I own an Alienware X51 the one with the best available specifications and it didnt cost me much, its a pretty decent machine however not an extremely good one. so a X51 model would be an option for you.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    For $1200 bucks you could build a beast. But since you don't want to get into all that, get yourself an X51.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Maybe i'll wait till they put the faster and more importantly cooler Nvidia 6xx series into the X51 (or X52 whatever).
    I could built a cheaper and more powerfull Desktop if i buy all the parts seperately but i want a small and silent PC for the living room.

Superior Member
    I've got an X51, the top spec model. I did change the GPU from the OEM Nvidia GTX555 to a Radeon HD 7850, it makes a big difference!

It'll run Battlefield 3 on Ultra at 1080p nice and smooth so I'm happy.

Forum Sage
    Whatever you do, do not buy an alienware x51, unless you like spending your money on products lacking a clear upgrade path.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Helm_of_Darkness
    Items User name style
    Thanks everyone for the ideas!

What does everyone think about these graphic cards?
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB

AMD Radeon™ HD 7770 2GB

Forum Sage
    Not good enough.

7850 or better.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Helm_of_Darkness
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Not good enough.

7850 or better.
    Not even for GTA IV? That's mostly all I would be playing on it, and maybe The Sims 3.

I guess I could still buy it and then upgrade the graphics card. There is two versions of the computer I'm thinking of has these processors:
    • 3rd Generation IntelŽ Core™ i5-3450 processor 3.10 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.50 GHz
    • 3rd Generation IntelŽ Core™ i7-3770 processor 3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Helm_of_Darkness
    Items User name style
    Any info about the Processors?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    for GTAIV?

core i5. to the best of my knowledge GTA doesn't support the features that make i7 better than the i5.

you still haven't said what settings you prefer to play in?
    help us help you

EDIT:
    this should give you an idea of what to expect from your selections users specs below vids. didn't get an i7 though for above reason.

system:
    Lenovo h420
    i5 2320 turbo boost 3,2 GHZ
    RAM DDR3 6GB
    ATI radeon HD 7750 1GB DDR5 club 3D Stock clock 800 Mhz
    PSU 280W

FPS while recording on 1080p MIN 23, MAX 32, settings High-very high vsync off

FPS while NOT recording on 1080p MIN 29, MAX 44, settings High-very high vsync off
    his PSU is rubbish though

Intel Core I3 2100
    4Gb RAM
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1Gb GDDR5

Recording with fraps 28 FPS
    Without fraps 33 FPS
    which ever one appeals to your eyeballs i guess
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 05-12-2012 at 00:30.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

16. Likes TreKKiker likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Helm_of_Darkness
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    for GTAIV?

core i5. to the best of my knowledge GTA doesn't support the features that make i7 better than the i5.

you still haven't said what settings you prefer to play in?
    help us help you.......
    Ok thanks for all that. I would prefer to play it on medium/high, don't know why I didn't mention it earlier.

Would the i7 be better overall though, like a better processor than i5, or they about the same? GTA most likely wouldn't be the only game I would play, that's just what I have right now.

You can see I don't know as much as I would like to...lol

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    If you're just gonna be playing GTA IV at medium/high, you don't require anything over a 2600k. And plus, GTA IV is GPU intensive, not CPU.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

19. Likes TreKKiker likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Ok thanks for all that. I would prefer to play it on medium/high, don't know why I didn't mention it earlier.

Would the i7 be better overall though, like a better processor than i5, or they about the same? GTA most likely wouldn't be the only game I would play, that's just what I have right now.

You can see I don't know as much as I would like to...lol
    im no techno buff, but from what i've read the i7 and i5's major difference would be 'Hyper-Threading'. Essentially i7 has it, i5 does not.

im not aware of any games that support hyper threading, Matrix might have better insight into this. it wouldn't hurt to have it, however, if you can get an i7 then definitely go that route.
    i personally would just get an i5 and spend the money on a separate GPU; possibly AMD 7770 or higher.

heres a snippet from the web

What Hyper threading is:

For consumers

Currently, the Core i5 processor brand makes up most of Intel's Sandy Bridge processor line. The prices of these processors range from $177 to $216 with base clock speeds between 2.8 GHz and 3.3 GHz. Intel only offers two Core i7 products, the Core i7-2600 and Core i7-2600K, both of which have a 3.4 GHz base clock speed. The i7-2600 has a price tag of $294.
    As you may have guessed, paying about $80 more for the 100 MHz clock speed increase between the fastest i5 and the i7 isn't a great deal. The main reason to pay this additional cash for a i7 is hyper-threading, but this advantage will only be evident if you frequently use programs that can actually make use of 8 threads.
    For most users, the i5 is clearly the better deal. The i5-2500 makes the most sense in my opinion, as it offers an extremely quick base clock speed of 3.3 GHz for about $200. Of course, the value of this is subject to change in the future as Intel fleshes out its product line with new models.
    as gangsta stated though, most games are GPU intensive. a better GPU will gain better performance/visuals. AMD 7770 should be the lowest you go to maintain high to med settings at 1080p
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

21. Likes TreKKiker likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Yup no games apart from very few (Alan Wake) make use of more than 2 cores. So having Hyper-Threading for games is pretty useless. But, if you can get it, get an i7 surely since it'll increase your overall computer performance.

23. Likes TreKKiker likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Any info about the Processors?
    There isn't any advantage in you using the 2600K/2700K over the 2500K.

Regarding the newer processors the 3770 will be somewhat faster than the 3450 so I wouldn't worry about it unless the upgrade cost of the 3770 was very low.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Helm_of_Darkness
    Items User name style
    Ok thanks everyone.
    I have one final question.

The computer I'm looking at buying has a
    NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GT 640 1GB
    . Would that be equivalent to an AMD 7770 or higher?

Thanks so much for everyones help, it's really helpful!

Anyone know how reliable this "Dell Preferred Account" is? If I done that, I would pay $36 a month and pay it off in 15 Years, but paying over $4,000. (I wouldn't do that though)
    If I payed $86/mo, then I would pay it off in 2 years, and pay up to $1,535.

But probably the best way would be saving up enough money, and just buy it, if I think about it.

Forum Sage
    Ok thanks everyone.
    I have one final question.

The computer I'm looking at buying has a
    NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GT 640 1GB
    . Would that be equivalent to an AMD 7770 or higher?

Thanks so much for everyones help, it's really helpful!

Anyone know how reliable this "Dell Preferred Account" is? If I done that, I would pay $36 a month and pay it off in 15 Years, but paying over $4,000. (I wouldn't do that though)
    If I payed $86/mo, then I would pay it off in 2 years, and pay up to $1,535.

But probably the best way would be saving up enough money, and just buy it, if I think about it.
    No the GT640 is significantly worse. The current gen card Nvidia has the matches up most closely to the 7770 (either equaling it or beating it) is the GTX670.

Do not finance a computer. Buy it outright.

If I were you, I would wait for the prices for those ASUS desktops to come out. ASUS tends to provide the most bang for your buck.

27. Likes TreKKiker likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Helm_of_Darkness
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    No the GT640 is significantly worse. The current gen card Nvidia has the matches up most closely to the 7770 (either equaling it or beating it) is the GTX670.

Do not finance a computer. Buy it outright.

If I were you, I would wait for the prices for those ASUS desktops to come out. ASUS tends to provide the most bang for your buck.
    Ok, thanks. I'll look at the ASUS one's. I was thinking about the Dell XPS, but to get the i7, i would get the
    GT 640. So I'll look for something else.

Every single computer I find with a good price, has a bad graphics card. Most have the nVidia GT520.

EDIT: Would it be better to buy a computer that has everything good (Processor, RAM, etc) and just buy a better graphics card? I can not find a computer that has a good graphics card. It's always worse than the AMD 7770 or the nVidia GTX670.

Also, I found these two graphic cards. The ATI is cheaper, but I don't know what would be more worth to get.

ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 - $530.06/$629.99 (not on sale) - http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11197-01-40G/dp/B007JGARVU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336858928&sr=1-1

or

nVidia GeForce GTX 680 - $850.00 - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-D...6858416&sr=1-3

one review said they were comparable in the tests they run. Thanks again.

I would like to get the 7970, because of the price. But if the GTX 680 is that much better to be worth $850, then I might get that. But if its a small difference, then I'll just get the 7970, when I get the computer of course.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    EDIT: Would it be better to buy a computer that has everything good (Processor, RAM, etc) and just buy a better graphics card?Also, I found these two graphic cards. The ATI is cheaper, but I don't know what would be more worth to get.

ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 - $530.06/$629.99 (not on sale) - http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11197-01-40G/dp/B007JGARVU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336858928&sr=1-1

or

nVidia GeForce GTX 680 - $850.00 - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-D...6858416&sr=1-3

i'd definitely go for the better stock CPU.
    CPU's and motherboards will come compatible.
    GPU's and RAM are compatible with just about every system. CPU's are not.

those GPU's are Behemoths!
    im happy with 30fps, and as such, those are way too powerful for me

if your seriously looking at those GPU's then you'll definitely be needing to change the PSU.
    since you'd be opening up the system i'd then recommend the Dell again. since they are neatly packaged. however, changing the GPU and PSU are SUPER easy. heres a vid:

if it were me, for the aforementioned reason, the AMD would more than suffice. 40fps for Battlefield 3 at 1910x1200 max settings is more than enough. conversely, the Nvidia manages 60fps at the same settings.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

30. Likes TreKKiker likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Helm_of_Darkness
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    i'd definitely go for the better stock CPU.
    CPU's and motherboards will come compatible.
    GPU's and RAM are compatible with just about every system. CPU's are not.

those GPU's are Behemoths!
    im happy with 30fps, and as such, those are way too powerful for me

if your seriously looking at those GPU's then you'll definitely be needing to change the PSU.
    since you'd be opening up the system i'd then recommend the Dell again. since they are neatly packaged. however, changing the GPU and PSU are SUPER easy. heres a vid:

if it were me, for the aforementioned reason, the AMD would more than suffice. 40fps for Battlefield 3 at 1910x1200 max settings is more than enough. conversely, the Nvidia manages 60fps at the same settings.
    What kind of PSU would the ATI need?
    And what Dell would you recommend to upgrade with the ATI and PSU? I would like to get a Dell with an i7 processor.

Thanks for your help
    EDIT: It looks like the only one I can find on Amazon with an i7 is the Dell XPS.

Super Elite
    I just finished building my computer and it ran me about 1800$ with shipping and taxes in consideration.
    I5 intel what I say for CPU
    560 or higher for graphics card
    at least 8GB of ram
    700Plus power supply and the hyper evo 212 for the heatsink.

Thread Information