Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Amendment One Passed in North Carolina

Amendment One - (I know I'm a few days late, but I'm surprised this hasn't been posted)

(CNN) -- A day after North Carolina became the latest state to approve a constitutional amendment defining marriage as solely between a man and a woman, opponents of the referendum are beginning Wednesday to explore their next options.

North Carolina voted Tuesday to outlaw same-sex marriage, which was already prohibited in the state. Supporters pushed for the constitutional amendment, arguing that it is needed to ward off future legal challenges.
    Voters approved the amendment by a 61%-39% margin with all counties reporting, according to unofficial returns from the State Board of Elections.

"It is a very sad day in North Carolina," said Tori Taylor, 23, a Charlotte resident who voted against the amendment. "There were a lot of college students, young professionals who came out to vote. We have gay friends. A lot of us are integrated to that culture. Do you think your friends should have the same rights? It's black and white. Of course, they should."

The North Carolina amendment alters the constitution to say that "marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized" in the state.
    This is a sad affair as equality continues to diminish in the united States. North Carolina is the 30th state to ban gay marriage. Over 60% of the voting population voted for it to be illegal. However, I have read that due to how this legislation was written, it may be easier for a higher court to target and remove the States power to do this. I guess we'll have to see.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Elite Member
    I just don't see why anyone cares if a man marries a man or a woman marries a woman. You can still do your daily routine whether or not gay people can marry. It just seems like such intrusion into other people's lives.

And I don't buy the whole "it ruins the sanctity of marriage" because:

1. In the Bible, the only excuse for divorce is if one's partner commits adultery. Verbal and physical abuse, neglect, etc., are not grounds for divorce.

2. A non-religious union between a man in a woman in a courthouse is technically not a marriage by its basic and religious definition but is still recognized on a federal level.

3. The idea that a religious ceremony would even be recognized by the federal government is a clear violation of the separation of church and state. The real issue is whether or not $#@!sexuals should be allowed the same benefits of a union as heterosexuals. The fact that the word "marriage" comes into play is just wrong in my book.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

3. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    why is this crap still news? don't live there. every state still has the right to govern themselves....to a point. if you want to break away some douchebag will invade you

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Master Poster
    I don't think its the same legal rights resulting from a recognized union that $#@!sexuals are really looking for. $#@!sexuals want "gay" marriage to become legal so they will be viewed as "normal" in the same sense straight couples are viewed as "normal". This wanting to be seen as "normal" is the equality $#@!sexuals are looking for. I'm not sure, but does this law take away some legal rights from non-married heterosexual couples who have lived together for a number of years as well?

The reason the state gets involved with marriage is because children come out of marriage, and the state has to protect the interests of children.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    why is this crap still news? don't live there. every state still has the right to govern themselves....to a point. if you want to break away some douchebag will invade you
    Don't live there? Why is it news? You have to be joking.

Quote Originally Posted by ex nihilo7 View Post
    I'm not sure, but does this law take away some legal rights from non-married heterosexual couples who have lived together for a number of years as well?
    No. Why would it?

The reason the state gets involved with marriage is because children come out of marriage, and the state has to protect the interests of children.
    ... What? What do children have to do with anything? How is this protecting the interests of children anyways?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Don't live there? Why is it news? You have to be joking.

No. Why would it?

... What? What do children have to do with anything? How is this protecting the interests of children anyways?
    For the first part, I read something online about it taking away the rights of others, but it mostly a comment someone made. I didn't research it so that's why I asked.

For the children, it is mostly to do with child custody, child care, division of property and things like that. It might not be the whole reason, but I think it is one of the primary reasons the state even cares about regulating marriage.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Friendship is Carrots
    For the children, it is mostly to do with child custody, child care, division of property and things like that. It might not be the whole reason, but I think it is one of the primary reasons the state even cares about regulating marriage.
    Oh, yes, of course. I thought you meant that specifically for gay marriage.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Oh, yes, of course. I thought you meant that specifically for gay marriage.
    Oh no sorry, I thought had separated my thoughts well enough in my initial post. I only mentioned that part in an attempt to explain why the state even regulates marriage.

Elite Sage
    That's pretty gay.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Super Elite
    Well North Carolina is one of the most racist and $#@!ed up states in the US so this really isn't much of a surprise.
    Last edited by XMW; 05-12-2012 at 12:49.

12. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    Good for North Carolina.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Good for North Carolina.
    Why do you care if gays can marry or not?

Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Why do you care if gays can marry or not?

Because its wrong. Thats why. Its goes against both my religion, and the foundations of marriage.

If you think its right, then thats your $#@!ing opinion. I don't, and never will feel that way.

16. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Why is it wrong? Why is religion so obsessed with what people do in their personal time?

And what foundations of marriage? Just in case you don't know this, religion did not 'invent' marriage nor does it have the monopoly on it.

Surely there's a better reason to be against this than 'religion'...

*Edit*

Just to be clear, since I don't want to descend this into a debate on religion which I realise I probably already have taken part in. If someone's religion says marriage is a union between a man and woman, it's fine for them to live by those rules. They've no right to cast that expectation onto the rest of society.
    Last edited by *goo; 05-12-2012 at 13:56.

18. Likes Omar, Svetlana likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I guess I don't really care one way or the other.

Dedicated Member

No doubt this will be spun by Democrats as war on the gays.

Super Elite
    Because its wrong. Thats why. Its goes against both my religion, and the foundations of marriage.

If you think its right, then thats your $#@!ing opinion. I don't, and never will feel that way.
    You know, I don't get how people like you say it's against this and against that. At the end of the day, it's just two people, two human beings who are in love with each other, regardless of their gender. Is it such a wrong thing to love someone so unequivocally? Is it so wrong that a state has to remove basic legal rights of a couple?

And please don't bring this whole 'sanctity of marriage' bull$#@! into picture. Has a gay or lesbian couple ever interfered in any straight person's marriage or lifestyle? I think not. Then why is so predominantly hunted down and shamed by straight people?
    Last edited by Cyklops; 05-12-2012 at 14:31.

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Just to be clear, since I don't want to descend this into a debate on religion which I realise I probably already have taken part in. If someone's religion says marriage is a union between a man and woman, it's fine for them to live by those rules. They've no right to cast that expectation onto the rest of society.
    Who says that they do? Its the people who believe in the religion that were those 60% that voted to get the amendment made.

And why would I need a better reason then religion, my whole life is based around my beliefs that I stand by. Its my opinion, and I don't need a better reason for it.

23. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    to an extent i support these types of laws.

"Marriage" is essentially a man offering a woman protection (in whatever form) for rights (i cant think of a better word) to reproduce. im being EXTREAMLY SIMPLISTIC!!! i dont want to right a history essay here. read that crap up yourself!

i support a singular argument that religion and ideology have nothing to do with banning marriage. its the way its always been. man and women joining to create the next generation. that is where i end.

i'm all for fairness. and equality. however i feel both parties go about it in the wrong way!

addendum:
    why would anyone wanna get married anyways
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    What if a couple is gay and are married and then moved there do they get arrested for being married?

America is going backwards.

The benefit for marriage is you do not need a will everything goes to your spouse.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-12-2012 at 14:36.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat

Foundations of marriage. What like on the pre Christian Greek and Roman empire ? Christianity didn't invent marriage and should have no say over its application.

On the basis of sanctity of marriage. Newt Gingrich has had 4 wives. That's against teachings in the bible but he still used the bible as a means of justification. What about Britney spears 55 minute marriage ? Or Kim kardashians one that lasted about a month. Those people do more harm to the concept of marriage than two gay people who have loved each other for decades will ever do.

Quote Originally Posted by LC77 View Post
    No doubt this will be spun by Democrats as war on the gays.
    Well Obamas support of gay marriage has been spin as a war on traditional marriage. Both sides will spin

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Super Elite
    America's mistake nowadays is that most right-wing, anti-gay, theists believe that both the Church and the government is one entity, rather than two. The Church and state are two completely different parties, that I feel, shouldn't have any say in the working manners of each other.

One thing that still surprises me is that NC is a state that legally allows the populace to marry their cousins, which is by all means incest as well as posing the high risk of producing mentally challenged and/or deformed children, but doesn't allow gay/lesbian marriage where the parents could adopt, or have a surrogate child.

28. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    What if 2 cousins were gay is that allowed?

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    What if 2 cousins were gay is that allowed?
    Whoa man! Double rainbow all the way!

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style

I respect your religion but no where in the Bible does it talk about marriage or being gay. Now they may have changed it as the Bible has been changed way way to many times. But the one I read which has been in my family for generations never mentioned anything about those two. Churches condeem it yes and they have a def for marriage.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Thread Information