Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Well yeah but what I said was a lot of scenes looked pre rendered but weren't.
    Ohh I see what you mean.
    Well this looks pre-rendered because it is.
    But the buzz form those that have seen it playing in game (Miller, Kotaku) is it still looks pretty nice.

http://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us/
    I Just Saw The Last of Us in Action, and It Looks Amazing

I just watched two people from Naughty Dog play The Last of Us in Santa Monica. It was the best demo for a game I've seen since Assassin's Creed III a few months ago.

Here's what happened.

What played out was similar to the trailer that Sony just shared—Joel and Ellie, the series' two protagonists drove down a road in a pickup truck. Simple, right? Well, first, of all, beautiful. The post-apocalypse in Naughty Dog's game is a gorgeous wreck, a city drained of electricity and overgrown with foliage.

Their drive quickly turned into an encounter with a man-he looked like a hobo— who threw a brick at their windshield. They crashed in a convenience store. More angry men showed, up, dragging Ellie kicking from the truck, the other smashing Joel through the glass of a meat freezer and trying to spike his throat on a shard of glass. Some of that was cutscene, but a rapid tap of the x button kept Joel from getting skewered.

This is a third-person game, but not one that presents the characters as overpowering heroes. They're not expert fighters, nor even are they at Nathan Drake's level. It all looks like scary survival. But not darkness, monsters, shadows and nighttime skulking—the scene we see is sunsplashed, but we're in a city with the power turned off and the survivors all out to kill us (presumably some may be possessed by a fungus, such is the back-story of the game).

In the convenience store, Joel shoots a revolver at the many men coming after them. Enemies called out positions. Ellie cursed back at them. This girl is calling the enemy "$#@! face" and throwing a brick at him. Thanks, teenage girl!

The action in the game is brutal. The enemies seem to be regular people, but they speak from the throat, all death threats and growls. They patrol the streets with guns, two at a time. Joel tosses a brick at one of them and then runs up and whacks him to death with a stick.

It's all cat and mouse. Our heroes hide in alleys. They hear enemies calling out positions. Joel finds himself back in the convenience store, trying to figure out where his enemies went. He mutters to himself, about the "pansy-ass piece of $#@!" he's tracking. The enemy, just a guy in a leather jacket and pants, rushes him with a 2x4. Joel shoots him.

Ellie and Joel walk around for a bit. Every building in this city is wrecked: toppled filing cabinets in the stairwell of one building, cracked mirrors and overturned mattresses in some form. As they walk around, scrounging, searching, Joel and Ellie talk to each other. He's quiet, a bit weary. She's curious but not that chatty either.

She's impressed with his fighting prowess. He says it's because he's been on both sides of these kinds of survival ambushes.

"So, you killed a lot of people?" Ellie asks him.

He brushes her off.

"I'll take that as a yes," she replies.

It's clear they don't know each other well and would not have been friends in a pre-apocalyptic world.

They reach an overlook and see a distant bridge. Joel knows where to go. They find a schoolbus full of corpses and a yard full of cars, all of their windows punched out. They find some bodies that are strangely whitened. That may be the signs of the fungus.

Ellie notes how horrible things are, but how pretty it all is too. She's right.

Joel has them walk further, but crows stir and Joel whispers for them to duck. More hobo-looking guys-hunters-show up. A few guitar notes play.

That's it.

It all looked lovely and managed to be gentle and brutal at the same time.

It helps, I think, that the music never soared. It didn't sound like a video game. It was mostly quiet, though an old rock tune played during the opening fight after the crash.

Bruce Straley, the game's director, said that Naughty Dog wants players to feel the same emotions that Ellie and Joel feel as they try to survive in this strange post-apocalypse in the game. He talked about the game as a quest for survival, one that is inflected by a balance of power that causes enemies to adapt to Ellie and Joel's choices of weapons and tactics. Everyone is trying to live, he said.

That's it. I should say that I wasn't too sure the first time I saw Uncharted . I wasn't sold. This, however, was gorgeous. Naughty Dog is making something special.

We'll have more on The Last of Us at E3.
    Kotaku.
    Last edited by mynd; 05-17-2012 at 02:50.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    There's a difference between Tomb Raider and this. Maybe it's just me but these cutscenes aren't far off from the gameplay, a few pushed aspects here and there... It's never been a big difference with ND

Tomb Raider seemed like CGI.

3. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    There's a difference between Tomb Raider and this. Maybe it's just me but these cutscenes aren't far off from the gameplay, a few pushed aspects here and there... It's never been a big difference with ND

Yeah, as I said, this is in game assets, just not in game rendering.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Dedicated Member
    Ever since I found out Naughty Dog was behind this I knew it would be amazing. I'm pretty sure that's a cinematic (pre-rendered, but using in-game assets like how ND does Uncharted cutscenes). I'm sure the game will look this amazing as well, at least as amazing as Uncharted 3.

I am so glad that ND is venturing into rated M territory. I can't wait to play this game.

[EDIT] The Ellie change isn't that big, they just made her look slightly younger.

Also, you guys just clammoring over graphics and tech and fps and textures and polygon counts... It takes more than just technical prowess, it takes artists to make a beautiful game. Game developers like Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, and Epic Games have awesome concept artists along with the people who actually put everything together and makes sure it looks beautiful in game.

[EDIT 2] The Tomb Raider trailer was CGI, and was created by Square Enix (because they have an awesome division that is dedicated to making CG videos).
    Last edited by bigCman123; 05-17-2012 at 04:22.

6. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by bigCman123 View Post
    Ever since I found out Naughty Dog was behind this I knew it would be amazing. I'm pretty sure that's a cinematic (pre-rendered, but using in-game assets like how ND does Uncharted cutscenes). I'm sure the game will look this amazing as well, at least as amazing as Uncharted 3.

I am so glad that ND is venturing into rated M territory. I can't wait to play this game.
    Same here. If only we could get a release date.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Ellie looks more real now.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by bigCman123 View Post
    Also, you guys just clammoring over graphics and tech and fps and textures and polygon counts... It takes more than just technical prowess, it takes artists to make a beautiful game. Game developers like Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, and Epic Games have awesome concept artists along with the people who actually put everything together and makes sure it looks beautiful in game.
    Yip, and Sony are very lucky to own some of the best teams around.

Friendship is Carrots
    Gameplay would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by R3D D3V!L View Post
    If that genuinely is in game footage then next gen can wait.
    That's not in-game footage at all.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    This.^

Veteran
    Just read through the thread a bit.

Yeah, the key is that we're seeing pre-rendered cutscenes that use in-game assets. The gameplay shouldn't be too much different given ND's track record.

Anyways, the game looks promising just like it did in the first trailer.
    Last edited by Bio; 05-17-2012 at 06:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Ultimate Veteran

That's because the trailer for Tomb Raider was CGI. The trailer for The Last of Us, however, is using in-game assets, like many of Naughty Dog's titles. If it was CGI, Ellie's hair would be far more detailed, as an example. But you're right in saying that it's never been a big difference with Naughty Dog.

14. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Edit: ninja'd ^^

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Gameplay would be nice.

That's not in-game footage at all.
    According to IGN it's of course a third person action game like Uncharted, but it is more brutal than Uncharted. Melees and kills are bloodier, ammo is scarce, you use weapons like 2 x 4's to bash in people's skulls. Stealth kills aren't quick and clean with witty remarks like Uncharted, they're slow and the people fight for their lives.

Here's the article with Greg Miller's impression of the Last of Us Gameplay http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/...isnt-uncharted

17. Likes Two4DaMoney , Ghost likes this post
    Veteran
    I like his detailed description of the gameplay. He says it's not like Uncharted but he describes a few key elements that are...well established in Uncharted (one-button mash QTE being thrown in the middle of a scene, cover-based shooting, stealth melee that throws you in a close-camera mini-brawl fashion).

I think mostly what he means is that the presentation/direction is far different, which makes way for a different tone. That and the fact that there might be more limited ammo this time and potentially more stealth/melee...when you consider the setting. But other than that, it honestly sounded like he was describing an Uncharted game. That may not be a bad thing, of course...considering you can't really get around basic stuff like TPS shooting or QTEs when you're dealing with a TPS that is heavy on narrative.

Regardless I like what I heard overall and can't wait to see the gameplay for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Same here. If only we could get a release date.
    I would give your left nut for a release date!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    That's because the trailer for Tomb Raider was CGI. The trailer for The Last of Us, however, is using in-game assets, like many of Naughty Dog's titles. If it was CGI, Ellie's hair would be far more detailed, as an example. But you're right in saying that it's never been a big difference with Naughty Dog.
    However, the Tomb Raider demo was IN GAME, which some thought was cgi/pre rendered, but they were actually controlling the character.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    This looks really interesting although im not a huge fan of Naughty Dog. Personally i think theyve gotten away with too many mediocre games saleswise due to them being a 2nd party developer and marketing. The first Jak was a great platformer in the vein of mario-esque games albeit nowhere near the level of the 3d versions of those games or any Rare 3D n64 platformers. Jak 2 and 3 were a unbalanced mess difficulty and gameplay bits designwise. Crash Bandicoot games hada cool style but were overall mediocre platformers with annoying gameplay elements aswell. Bought Uncharted 1 & 2 but only played 1 so far and thoroughly my most enjoyable experience with this company, i was a bis suspicious first wit hthe games jump/climb detection but in the end it won me over although it had a coup moments that reminded of the flaws of their older platform series.

This on the other hand does look story wise like the most interesting thing yet from the company i really hope to see more from it under this E3 which seems likely with the trailer coming out now. Hopefully the game doesnt have too many scary bits which the 1st trailer seemed to indicate it as

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

22. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by GalapagosaraY View Post
    This looks really interesting although im not a huge fan of Naughty Dog. Personally i think theyve gotten away with too many mediocre games saleswise due to them being a 2nd party developer and marketing. The first Jak was a great platformer in the vein of mario-esque games albeit nowhere near the level of the 3d versions of those games or any Rare 3D n64 platformers. Jak 2 and 3 were a unbalanced mess difficulty and gameplay bits designwise. Crash Bandicoot games hada cool style but were overall mediocre platformers with annoying gameplay elements aswell. Bought Uncharted 1 & 2 but only played 1 so far and thoroughly my most enjoyable experience with this company, i was a bis suspicious first wit hthe games jump/climb detection but in the end it won me over although it had a coup moments that reminded of the flaws of their older platform series. This on the other hand does look story wise like the most interesting thing yet from the company i really hope to see more from it under this E3 which seems likely with the trailer coming out now. Hopefully the game doesnt have too many scary bits which the 1st trailer seemed to indicate it as
    2nd party developer? You do realize that Sony owns ND which makes them a 1st party developer right?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    oh ye thats true Sony doesnt develop anything really themselves unless you see Sony Santa Monica as the 1st party developer, its mostly bought companies working internally now, with Sony only being the publisher. Im still remembering Sony Imagesoft from the SNES/genesis era who made games like "Hook" which i thought was the 1st party developer but theyre apparently defunct or part of SCEE/A or the Santa Monica branch thing i guess

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GalapagosaraY View Post
    This looks really interesting although im not a huge fan of Naughty Dog. Personally i think theyve gotten away with too many mediocre games saleswise due to them being a 2nd party developer and marketing. The first Jak was a great platformer in the vein of mario-esque games albeit nowhere near the level of the 3d versions of those games or any Rare 3D n64 platformers. Jak 2 and 3 were a unbalanced mess difficulty and gameplay bits designwise. Crash Bandicoot games hada cool style but were overall mediocre platformers with annoying gameplay elements aswell. Bought Uncharted 1 & 2 but only played 1 so far and thoroughly my most enjoyable experience with this company, i was a bis suspicious first wit hthe games jump/climb detection but in the end it won me over although it had a coup moments that reminded of the flaws of their older platform series.

This on the other hand does look story wise like the most interesting thing yet from the company i really hope to see more from it under this E3 which seems likely with the trailer coming out now. Hopefully the game doesnt have too many scary bits which the 1st trailer seemed to indicate it as
    I agree with much of your accessment of Naughty Dog but this GEN it is hard to argue that as a developer studio they haven't been the best if not close to the best developers. The three Uncharted games were great. Story telling was spot on. Voice acting and appropriate use for cut scenes that just flowed into and out of the game were exactly what I want in a game. This looks to be the cherry on their sundae to me.

If you think the first Uncharted was a good game the second is probably to me the most beautiful/fun/wonderful story game I've played this gen. They hit a home run with that game. You will be inspired by them when you play it. The third was a slight let down because the second just blows you away but it is equal in scope and story and visuals...just not a huge upgrade like from 1 to 2.

Overall this game looks brillent. I love the writing and story and atmosphere they create with their games. Truely inspiring and I will buy this game day 1. Love the exciting thriller atmosphere. It can be scary and thrilling while not having monsters and aliens. It is kind of a plausible scary lol...hope this comes out for Christmas.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Looking forward to some gameplay next time.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Apparently that truck ambush is just a teaser. The demo that the gaming press saw will most likely be shown at E3, and consists of Joel and Ellie's fight against their ambushers after the car crashes. CAN'T. $#@!ING. WAIT.

Leave it to Sony to crank out such an amazing and fresh IP this late into the gen.

28. Likes Nitey , Two4DaMoney , AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Apparently that truck ambush is just a teaser. The demo that the gaming press saw will most likely be shown at E3, and consists of Joel and Ellie's fight against their ambushers after the car crashes. CAN'T. $#@!ING. WAIT. Leave it to Sony to crank out such an amazing and fresh IP this late into the gen.
    This.^

Ultimate Veteran
    That.^

You're probably talking about the following shots, which were released a while ago.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    That.^ You're probably talking about the following shots, which were released a while ago.
    And the other thing.^

Thread Information