Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Square Enix: Final Fantasy 7 remake 'isn't top priority'

Tetsuya Nomura, long-time character designer and director of various Final Fantasy titles, has said Square Enix is more interested in creating new games than delivering a must-requested Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Speaking in a Final Fantasy 7 anniversary feature in the latest issue of Famitsu (via Andriasang) Nomura acknowledged the demand for a remake of the fan-favourite, but said the Japanese developer and publisher is instead striving to create experiences that live up to the much-loved PS One classic.

He went on to provide a bit of very cool Final Fantasy 7 trivia by revealing Yuffie Kisaragi, the secret female ninja thief character, was originally a planned to be a wanted felon in the story.

Wanted posters with different faces for the character were to be placed around Midgar and the Yuffie that eventually joined the player's party would be dictated by the last poster seen.

Earlier this month Square Enix announced it has become profitable again thanks to Final Fantasy 13 and Deus Ex, and that packaged software and digital entertainment business are performing well for the publisher.
    huh..go figure
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-top-priority/
    Last edited by Kuro; 05-16-2012 at 14:55.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Master Poster
    ......I almost want all of their future projects to fail so their forced to make the remake lol
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryAim View Post
    ......I almost want all of their future projects to fail so their forced to make the remake lol
    Don't worry, so far they have failed so I don't think things will change... unless it's versus-xiii, and even then they might screw it up like they did FFXIII
    Thou shall not question my lame sig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. Likes Ghost , AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeghtmare View Post
    Don't worry, so far they have failed so I don't think things will change... unless it's versus-xiii, and even then they might screw it up like they did FFXIII
    how can you say they screwed up with XIII and XIII-2? it says directly in the OP that
    Square Enix announced it has become profitable again thanks to Final Fantasy 13 and Deus Ex
    a lot of people enjoyed XIII, It seems like FF is the only series ever to split people up and make them argue about how great or how $#@!ty they series is.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

6. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    AKA: "Fans aren't top priority".
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

8. Likes Ghost , John25 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - a remake of Final Fantasy VII isn't necessary. Square Enix should strive to create experiences that live up to the much-loved PlayStation classic.

10. Likes The Black Wolf, DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    The problem is, they can't. Not sure why you disliked that post either, majority of fans want a FF7 remake, so it was pretty damn accurate.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    The problem is, they can't. Not sure why you disliked that post either, majority of fans want a FF7 remake, so it was pretty damn accurate.
    Maybe the majority of fans who played the game but Final Fantasy fans in general? I don't think so. I enjoyed playing through Final Fantasy VII, and while the game performed extremely well, I (and I'm sure there are other people who feel the same) really don't think a remake is necessary. It's not like Square didn't revisit the universe multiple times before with the compilation of games and movies.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 05-16-2012 at 22:35.

13. Likes Dave-The-Rave likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    At least 80% of fans want it and I guarantee it would sell at least 5 million. I think they'd mess it up anyway so honestly couldn't care less. I'd buy it though, won't be buying XIII-3, just like I skipped XIII-2. From now on only SE titles I'll be buying are Nomura'.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    At least 80% of fans want it and I guarantee it would sell at least 5 million. I think they'd mess it up anyway so honestly couldn't care less. I'd buy it though, won't be buying XIII-3, just like I skipped XIII-2. From now on only SE titles I'll be buying are Nomura'.
    But you can't guarantee it'll sell those numbers, just like you can't pinpoint an exact percentage of fans who want to see a remake. What about all of the fans who enjoyed Final Fantasy I-VI and VIII-XII, or even Tactics?

Either way, I do think it's a bit premature to say that Square Enix can't strive to create experiences that live up to Final Fantasy VII when Final Fantasy Versus XIII has yet to be released. And while it's been in development for a good while now, I'd much rather that be the case than having them release it early with people complaining about bugs or whatever.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 05-16-2012 at 22:50.

16. Likes The Black Wolf, Dave-The-Rave likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    I believe people are asking for too much. We're fortunate to have those games on the psp now. It's alright if Square wants to do it but what others don't understand is that with today's technology it'll just get in the way of future projects and for what? In order to sell or have Square go bankrupt.

18. Likes Dave-The-Rave likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    But you can't guarantee it'll sell those numbers, just like you can't pinpoint an exact percentage of fans who want to see a remake. What about all of the fans who enjoyed Final Fantasy I-VI and VIII-XII, or even Tactics?
    None of those games got anywhere near FF7s sales. Closest was FF10 and even that was a good 3 mil+ off.

Either way, I do think it's a bit premature to say that Square Enix can't strive to create experiences that live up to Final Fantasy VII when Final Fantasy Versus XIII has yet to be released. And while it's been in development for a good while now, I'd much rather that be the case than having them release it early with people complaining about bugs or whatever.
    When it eventually releases I'll be getting it, but if it ends up being another FF13 then I'll only be buying KH games from that point on (and FF handheld games).

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    The way things are going with the Final Fantasy series, a remake of Final Fantasy VII will be their saving grace.

21. Likes Ghost , AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    The way things are going with the Final Fantasy series, a remake of Final Fantasy VII will be their saving grace.
    My point exactly.

PSU Technical Advisor
    They're afraid of under performing with the product. They'd rather make new mistakes and travesties than sully a good previous title I guess.

XIII and XIII-2 were good 'games' but not FF titles. Plot was pathetic as hell in both and they barely stuck with established FF conventions.

24. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    They're afraid of under performing with the product. They'd rather make new mistakes and travesties than sully a good previous title I guess.

XIII and XIII-2 were good 'games' but not FF titles. Plot was pathetic as hell in both and they barely stuck with established FF conventions.
    They can't screw up on Final Fantasy VII. They have the story and characters already done for them. The only real challenge here are the graphics and re-creating towns, people, settings. I can't comment on how long and costly that will be nor how much power console hardware is needed to make that a reality but it is possible. If the game is ever announced in full development then I can guarantee you that it will generate far more hype then any Final Fantasy game released this generation.

26. Likes Ghost , John25 , AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Superior Member
    I really wished they made a remake, but then going by their latest efforts I don't know if the remake would make the original justice. If they do eventually remake it, it better be impeccable or else don't even touch it.

28. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Some FF fans get far too wrapped up in a damn FFVII Remake. That's all the hell they talk about. There are 13 other FF titles you know...

I personally don't think VII remake is coming UNTIL V and VI get remade first. They want to do them in order.

And I pretty much agree with the article anyway. I'd much rather play brand new main FF games then play one where I know what's going to happen remade or not. I love the mentality of wanting to create an FF that's as good or better then VII. FFVII is not the be all end all of FF or games in general. If your a true FF fan then you want to see new FF universes and not just obsesse over one particular installment for the rest of your life.

30. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Just hurry up with Versus, and stop taking so long to release games. Maybe then you can create new experiences that are as good, if not better than older FF games

PSN ID
    Sleeplessace
    Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    Some FF fans get far too wrapped up in a damn FFVII Remake. That's all the hell they talk about. There are 13 other FF titles you know...

I personally don't think VII remake is coming UNTIL V and VI get remade first. They want to do them in order.

OMG THIS. ^^^^^. i swear all i see people talk and drool about all the time is ff7 ff7 ff7 I've played the game and it is a great game, dont get me wrong i also like it but i dont understand why people just cling to it so hard. i believe ffx is much better in every way graphics, story ,character wise, no im not a fan boy im just being realistic there is news about ffx but nobody seems to be really saying much about it lol i swear i feel like people are just obsessed with cloud is all. one more thing to add. i do want to see new ff games but i am so sick and tired of how they play and the stories they put out there go back to the original gameplay give me the tearjerking story i wanted. these new ones just put me to sleep,
    Last edited by souleater; 05-17-2012 at 21:07.

Psn:Sleepelssace
    By recognizing the difference between you and others you establish your identity as yourself

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post

Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 might not have been memorable experiences (and you can blame Toriyama for that) but nothing that we've seen of Final Fantasy Versus XIII so far leads me to believe it'll be a failure.

They can't screw up on Final Fantasy VII. They have the story and characters already done for them. The only real challenge here are the graphics and re-creating towns, people, settings.
    And the voice acting, animations, among other things. Is it really worth it for Square Enix (and Nomura) to devote all of their time and money into developing a remake that the so-called "80 percent of Final Fantasy fans" want to play when consumers can simply buy the original and enjoy it for what it is?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 05-17-2012 at 23:15.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by souleater View Post
    OMG THIS. ^^^^^. i swear all i see people talk and drool about all the time is ff7 ff7 ff7 I've played the game and it is a great game, dont get me wrong i also like it but i dont understand why people just cling to it so hard. i believe ffx is much better in every way graphics, story ,character wise, no im not a fan boy im just being realistic there is news about ffx but nobody seems to be really saying much about it lol i swear i feel like people are just obsessed with cloud is all. one more thing to add. i do want to see new ff games but i am so sick and tired of how they play and the stories they put out there go back to the original gameplay give me the tearjerking story i wanted. these new ones just put me to sleep,
    Yeah, I also question why people want a remake of a popular game.

If people talk more about a remake of Final Fantasy VII more so then X then it's because people are more interested in the former then the latter. It's not rocket science and questioning our opinions only to try and justify your own is pathetic.

@Blacksite: Have you watched, Avdent Children?. They have the voice acting nailed. I'll reiterate what I said: They can't screw it up. They just can't unless they decide to throw in their own crap into an already great formula. I'll also confidently say that people will buy the remake and that it will sell a lot more then any Final Fantasy released so far this generation.
    Last edited by Fon; 05-17-2012 at 21:21.

35. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    @Blacksite: Have you watched, Avdent Children?. They have the voice acting nailed. I'll reiterate what I said: They can't screw it up. They just can't unless they decide to throw in their own crap into an already great formula. I'll also confidently say that people will buy the remake and that it will sell a lot more then any Final Fantasy released so far this generation.
    How many people? Again, the 80 percent of Final Fantasy fans?

I'm sorry, but Advent Children was garbage. The only redeeming quality from that movie was that it was pretty to look at, but even now the CGI looks dated. They don't have the voice acting nailed either. Don't get me started on Tifa's terrible voice acting. And before Aaron jumps into the conversation to talk about how the Japanese voice acting is the only thing that matters to him, I will say that the majority of consumers out there would expect good english dubbing.

I just think it's selfish that people really have no problem seeing development on a promising title like Final Fantasy Versus XIII dropped if it means they can play a remake of their favorite title in the series. If Final Fantasy VII really meant that much to you, if you really cherished the title and want to brag about how much it changed the industry, you would be perfectly content playing the original.

Final Fantasy VII was a fresh and revolutionary experience back in 1997 but you can't expect people to react the same way with a remake. A smart consumer would pick up the original for, what, 10 dollars on the PlayStation Store and, like you said, get the same story because as we all know graphics don't make the game.

Final Fantasy IX is my favorite title in the series but you don't see me asking for a remake. Why is it different for other people?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 05-17-2012 at 22:07.

37. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    PSN ID
    Sleeplessace
    Yeah, I also question why people want a remake of a popular game.

If people talk more about a remake of Final Fantasy VII more so then X then it's because people are more interested in the former then the latter. It's not rocket science and questioning our opinions only to try and justify your own is pathetic.
    You need to think before you speak. i wasnt trying to justify anything i said at all was just saying how i feel as you are now by calling what i said "pathetic" but im sure you're just another fan kid so i wont let it bother me. I also wasnt trying to talk about ffx only either. just saying there are clearly other ffs that are better then this which is why i followed up that quote lol.. anyways i agree with the above post. though advent children had a decent story for what it was as well as good looking. but the voice acting was indeed horrible lol

Psn:Sleepelssace
    By recognizing the difference between you and others you establish your identity as yourself

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LadyDuoMaxwell
    Items Yuna3d dot game heroesFinal Fantasy Tactics
    I would love to see a FFVII remake, but first I want to play VS XIII.

3DS: 1161-0781-8406
    STEAM: LadyDuoMaxwell

Thread Information