Latest PSU headlines:

PSN ID
    (none)

Upset about GT5 cars

I've heard the standard VS. premium car rant already, and I understand that. But really upsets me is that they advertise having some 1000+ cars, but a LOT of the cars are pretty much the same. I mean, really, whats the difference between...

Honda, Japan

INTEGRA TYPE R (DC2) '95

Power: 201 BHP Torque: 185 Nm
    Weight: 1060 Kg P/W: 142
    Cr.: 15,819 Dealed: No
    Drive: FF Year: 1995
    Level: 1 Type: Standard
    Honda, Japan

INTEGRA TYPE R (DC2) '98

Power: 201 BHP Torque: 190 Nm
    Weight: 1080 Kg P/W: 139
    Cr.: 21,954 Dealed: No
    Drive: FF Year: 1998
    Level: 1 Type: Standard
    Honda, Japan

INTEGRA TYPE R (DC2) '99

Power: 201 BHP Torque: 190 Nm
    Weight: 1080 Kg P/W: 139
    Cr.: 20,028 Dealed: No
    Drive: FF Year: 1999
    Level: 2 Type: Standard
    Honda, Japan

INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5) '03

Power: 221 BHP Torque: 210 Nm
    Weight: 1170 Kg P/W: 141
    Cr.: 21,974 Dealed: No
    Drive: FF Year: 2003
    Level: 2 Type: Standard
    Honda, Japan

INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5) '04

Power: 221 BHP Torque: 210 Nm
    Weight: 1180 Kg P/W: 140
    Cr.: 27,300 Dealed: Yes
    Drive: FF Year: 2004
    Level: 2 Type: Premium
    Honda, Japan

INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5) RM '04

Power: 239 BHP Torque: 218 Nm
    Weight: 950 Kg P/W: 187
    Cr.: 117,500 Dealed: No
    Drive: FF Year: 2004
    Level: 2 Type: Premium
    Honda, Japan

That's 6 cars, that I would count as only 1!

And the gameplay is like bumper cars. High speed accidents are not realistic at all. Should I make the switch to Forza Motorsport?? Or maybe something like Ridge Racer? What's your favorite racing game??

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    2001 onwards Integra looks different and has a different (bigger) engine

1994-2001 used the legendary B series engine my Civic had a B16A2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine

GT5 $#@! son ridge racer it always has, ridge racer is even less like real racing.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-17-2012 at 18:40.

Soldier 95B
    The difference may not be that big, but to car enthusiasts it is.

4. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    The difference may not be that big, but to car enthusiasts it is.

Like guns in FPS.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Yeah their focus on the Nissan kinda pissed me off, but I'm still a fan of this series and I still go back to it every week because they actually care about their fans and release a-spec updates every month. The shuffle races online are really. They're actually fair and you have a chance of winning unlike a regular race online where people choose the dumbest regulation and powerpoint settings. Unrestricted is the worst setting you can choose to setup a race online.

PSN ID
    (none)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    2001 onwards Integra looks different and has a different (bigger) engine

1994-2001 used the legendary B series engine my Civic had a B16A2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine

GT5 $#@! son ridge racer it always has, ridge racer is even less like real racing.
    No, I know that. What I'm asking about Forza is, "Is Gran Turismo the end all for simulators?" And the question about Ridge Racer could better be asked as, "are there any driving games worth the money, as opposed to "simulators?"

If I'm not happy with GT5, should I just give up on next gen racers completely? Or is GT5 just boring for everyone? I mean, the cars look dull and lifeless. I can run into the back of another driver at 100 MPH while he's slammed on the breaks and it doesn't effect either car. I can run into a wall at 65 MPH, and then just reverse and keep going like nothing happened. I can purposely slam into other cars in an attempt to pass them. This doesn't seem realistic at all. I can feign realism and pull back some on my agressive driving. But then I may get 2nd place, when I knew I could've got 1st by running the opposition off the road.

Soldier 95B
    If you have an Xbox, give Forza 4 a whirl. It's much better than GT5, IMO. That said, I like GT5 a lot. It's been patched numerous times, ironing many of the kinks.

Elite Sage
    Don't forget the Skylines. So many Skylines.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

10. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcalhoun93 View Post
    No, I know that. What I'm asking about Forza is, "Is Gran Turismo the end all for simulators?" And the question about Ridge Racer could better be asked as, "are there any driving games worth the money, as opposed to "simulators?"

If I'm not happy with GT5, should I just give up on next gen racers completely? Or is GT5 just boring for everyone? I mean, the cars look dull and lifeless. I can run into the back of another driver at 100 MPH while he's slammed on the breaks and it doesn't effect either car. I can run into a wall at 65 MPH, and then just reverse and keep going like nothing happened. I can purposely slam into other cars in an attempt to pass them. This doesn't seem realistic at all. I can feign realism and pull back some on my agressive driving. But then I may get 2nd place, when I knew I could've got 1st by running the opposition off the road.
    I try not to crash as do most real racing drivers.

12. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    If I'm not happy with GT5, should I just give up on next gen racers completely?
    Sure, if you want to settle for inferior quality (nfs games)

Or is GT5 just boring for everyone?
    Uhh boring for you, not everyone. Don't assume that because some people agree that it means they hate it. I think it has problems, but I still love it and like I said before, I keep coming back to it every month.

I mean, the cars look dull and lifeless.
    I didn't know cars needed to have hair, skin and organs. But ok.

I can run into the back of another driver at 100 MPH while he's slammed on the breaks and it doesn't effect either car. I can run into a wall at 65 MPH, and then just reverse and keep going like nothing happened. I can purposely slam into other cars in an attempt to pass them. This doesn't seem realistic at all.
    You know, I was in complete opposition of the developers adding in damage, as it would ruin the beauty of a car. I still hate it, which is why I chose to put no damage options on any car. You do know you can change those settings to max and have a more realistic damage, right?

:/

14. Likes ps3isawesome likes this post
    Dedicated Member

I would say Gran Turismo, Forza and the newer F1 games are up there as the main simulators.

You then have a whole load of arcade games - Burnout Paradise, Ridge Racer, Grid, Split Second, Blur, Need for Speed. Some of which are just about racing, some that encourage taking other cars out.

It depends what you're in to.

If you want something where you the racing is more closely matched with contact I would recommend Grid, it's the closest game to touring cars where contact is seen fairly frequently.

If you want to take cars out whilst racing go for Burnout.

Although I bet you've not raced as all the cars within GT!

Credit to THUGGEDOUT for the Sig

PSN ID
    (none)
    OK. So there are some GT5 fans here.

Sorry, I don't like the same game you like. GEEZ!

Power Member
    OK. So there are some GT5 fans here.

Sorry, I don't like the same game you like. GEEZ!
    I wouldn't worry about it too much you cannot always be right.

18. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Super Elite
    Items Atari
    Don't think of GT5 as a "car" simulator like the older games. It's a "Driver" simulator in that it tries to replicate the feel of being a race car driver, better than anything I've played. The handling model is spot on, but the software sucks around it. Its like academic or productivity software. It is focused on its job, not usability or entertainment. If you want just a car game, go for need for speed or burnout, but if you're really interesting in driving, GT5 is the best.
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

20. Likes Nitey , rbrtchng likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by UCONN for life View Post
    Don't think of GT5 as a "car" simulator like the older games. It's a "Driver" simulator in that it tries to replicate the feel of being a race car driver, better than anything I've played. The handling model is spot on, but the software sucks around it. Its like academic or productivity software. It is focused on its job, not usability or entertainment. If you want just a car game, go for need for speed or burnout, but if you're really interesting in driving, GT5 is the best.
    pretty much this ^^

GT5 is like a car to me. To the average driver, driving is pretty dull and pointless, just a transportation from point to point. But to some enthusiasts, we find driving to be fulfilling. Most people don't care about how they cornered around a bend, but to enthusiasts, nothing beats hitting that apex in the perfect location and feel the car dance its way across the road while the driver grips the beast under control.

GT5 is not for everyone. I'm guessing Forza 4 is. That's the biggest difference, Forza cares about trying to make driving fun for everyone. GT knows that driving is not always fun (it can be frustrating, dull, and unforgiving), but it doesn't care. It knows what driving is, and doesn't want to be anything else.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrtchng View Post
    pretty much this ^^ GT5 is like a car to me. To the average driver, driving is pretty dull and pointless, just a transportation from point to point. But to some enthusiasts, we find driving to be fulfilling. Most people don't care about how they cornered around a bend, but to enthusiasts, nothing beats hitting that apex in the perfect location and feel the car dance its way across the road while the driver grips the beast under control. GT5 is not for everyone. I'm guessing Forza 4 is. That's the biggest difference, Forza cares about trying to make driving fun for everyone. GT knows that driving is not always fun (it can be frustrating, dull, and unforgiving), but it doesn't care. It knows what driving is, and doesn't want to be anything else.
    Exactly. And thats what makes GT5 a better simulator than Forza 4. Forza 4 is basically just an arcade racer with a few simulator elements thrown in.

Elite Member
    Items AppleMetallicaCoD: World at War
    I never played GT5, TBH. I do play forza 4 pretty much every night and I love it. If you have a 360, get forza.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrtchng View Post
    pretty much this ^^

GT5 is like a car to me. To the average driver, driving is pretty dull and pointless, just a transportation from point to point. But to some enthusiasts, we find driving to be fulfilling. Most people don't care about how they cornered around a bend, but to enthusiasts, nothing beats hitting that apex in the perfect location and feel the car dance its way across the road while the driver grips the beast under control.

GT5 is not for everyone. I'm guessing Forza 4 is. That's the biggest difference, Forza cares about trying to make driving fun for everyone. GT knows that driving is not always fun (it can be frustrating, dull, and unforgiving), but it doesn't care. It knows what driving is, and doesn't want to be anything else.

This. There's a good reason why its tagline is "the real driving simulator"

25. Likes Nitey likes this post
    PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Physics wise, nothing on console beats GT5. The pure satisfaction of taming an incredibly powerful car without any driving assists is immense.

27. Likes Lebowski , AaronSOLDIER likes this post

PSN ID
    jack1982cp
    I wouldn't even mind all those near-identical cars, but I REALLY wish more of the European exotics were premiums. Yet sooo many of them are stinky little standard cars that don't do any justice at all to the beauty of those things. I will never understand PD's decision process on that.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by SynYster505 View Post
    I never played GT5, TBH. I do play forza 4 pretty much every night and I love it. If you have a 360, get forza.
    One of the reasons Forza 4 is so good is because of physics simulation on console. Even though Forza has the best physics, GT5 has double the number of cars to choose from, and is followed by the largest community of racers (for a game) in the world. Community events in GT5 are real life and involve real life car experiences and winnings. GT5 has nice touches like actual pit crew animations, car washes and oil changes as well as 24 hour events. Forza has many different features that give it advantages as well, but you really can't go wrong with either game.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Airiaen
    No wonder I don't bother with PSU anymore.

31. Likes AaronSOLDIER , Nitey likes this post
    PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    One of the reasons Forza 4 is so good is because of physics simulation on console. Even though Forza has the best physics, GT5 has double the number of cars to choose from, and is followed by the largest community of racers (for a game) in the world. Community events in GT5 are real life and involve real life car experiences and winnings. GT5 has nice touches like actual pit crew animations, car washes and oil changes as well as 24 hour events. Forza has many different features that give it advantages as well, but you really can't go wrong with either game.

33. Likes Nitey , AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D D3V!L View Post
    +rep

Thread Information