Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Member

How do you play your RPGs?

I like to lay down on a bed or couch with the controller resting just above my stomach. i usually cross my legs. then i turn my head towards the tv and game away. when i feel tired i take a nap. i usually do this on a lazy saturday or sunday afternoon.

in game i like to explore everything, talk to everyone, and collect all treasures then i move on. rinse and repeat.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    In my underwear.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I spend way too much time exploring, and making sure I've gone everywhere and done everything before I move on. That's probably why I'll never complete Skyrim

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    hard and fast.

"Guns for Show, Knives for Pro"

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I farm and train to make my lvl super high lol..

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

PSN ID
    Sleeplessace
    For me level and equipment is everything. so i train in one area for as much time as i need look around for weapons armor. and stop at shops you know the usual. as for talking to people i dont do much of it as they never really have anything i need.

Psn:Sleepelssace
    By recognizing the difference between you and others you establish your identity as yourself

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    i explore and do everything, and i also have the habit of lvling way beyond necessary. I remember in FFX doing 80k hit attacks like it was nothing. I loved being able to solo the final boss in like 2 hits. Why i was kinda mad i couldn't super lvl before the final boss in FFXIII. I'd always play the boss an the "appropriate lvl" first and then lvl to some extreme end and just own the boss. I'm generally not a fan of games that limit the ammount of lvling you can do. obviously there has to be a limit but put the final boss at like lvl 120 or something, but put secret bosses up at like 400 or something. That way, you can have playable areas where you can lvl up high, and you can also have optional difficulty.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Elite Member
    for games like fallout 3 and the elder scrolls the majority of time is spent looting and sorting out my inventory. i always have to have the best item or equipment before i move.

9. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    I usually try to get everything along the way
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by souleater View Post
    For me level and equipment is everything. so i train in one area for as much time as i need look around for weapons armor. and stop at shops you know the usual. as for talking to people i dont do much of it as they never really have anything i need.
    Also this. I'm always after the next best weapon or armor or other piece of loot. If the game is a solid RPG with good loot, I'm sold.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Unless its something I'm REALLY into at the time like Fallout or Skyrim, I barely ever do any exploration of my own.
    Lately for RPGs I've just been following the main quest, not doing many, if any, side quests but also trying to get the best gear I can.

I don't know why, I just cbf to explore anymore I just wanna see what happens with the story

Via Tapatalk

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I do a LOT of side missions. I'll likely do 3-4 side missions, do a main mission, and repeat. That's how I was so strong in FFXIII-2. Getting fragments makes you stronger. When I got to the final boss, the 4th part of the final boss, I was already strong enough to beat him. I just adjusted my strategy and put a 3 sentinel paradigm in my paradigm choice. So when he does his special attacks, all I did was switch to 3 sentinels and then "Salvation" to heal up.

Believe it not, there are bosses in FFXIII-2 more difficult than the 4 part final battle.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    Im quite a methodical person when i play games. I have a insane habit not only in rpgs but in games in general to check and look at every corner before i move on. One thing that can scare the **** out of me is a game that might trigger a cutscene/story progress action that moves you away from a area you havent checked up on fully.

In rpgs i mostly have to exhaust every dialogue option in a city if its a j-rpg, mostly SNES generation and up before i move on.

In Skyrim the worst enemy/time consumer for me is encumbrance, my whole game goes with the fight to make room for all those nice shiny objects you find. I rarely buy anything besides spell books in this game either. I always have insane amount of potions with me and i dont know when its a good time to use scrolls aswell . I do way too many side missions aswell my main goal right now seems to be closing as many of the quests and hope they dont start a new one so i can get a smaller quest tab. Right now i have around 10 Main Quests and 15-20 Miscellanous ones.

So mostly i play Skyrim by doing one quest and loot as many items as possible, never buy anything and being really cheap I also hate to miss out on a cool looking weapon because i have something that has higher dmg or or armor rating. For example when i found a Ebony Sword and later found a Glass Sword i switched to glass even though it had 3-4 less dmg rating because Glass looks cool. So im doing weapons in likea one step thing before i move on as it seems the game seems to give the higher rated weapons in some sort of order

ive always wondered how people play games like rpgs and still manage to complete 3-4 games in a couple of series while im struggling to finish just one quest in a game like Skyrim in under 3-4 hours. Im starting to doubt i will ever finish this game, when it came out i played for 100 hours and only seemed to do sidequests and then i got exhausted with it and didnt touch the game for almost 2 months. Now im back in the game doing tons of sidequests for 30 hours or so again :3
    Last edited by GalapagosaraY; 05-19-2012 at 14:13.

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    RPGs for me are like a canvas for me to craft the perfect character. Skyrim has been my latest canvas. Everything has to come together, the look, the back story, the skills and equipment etc. For example:

My fav character on Skyrim is Shadow. Shadow is a black Khajiit with blue eyes (I chose this race and face cause I loved the idea of his night vision making him a preator of the night/dark etc). He's a stealth character of course. His name ties into the fact that he is stealthy, that he blends into the dark/night/shaows. He is the leader of both the thieves guild and assassins guild. I was TOTALLY stoked when I got Shadowmare, I didn't know such a horse existed when I create Shadow, so I was over the moon haha. Better yet when I got the spectral assassin summon and he talks to Shadowmare!! ("Ahh Shadowmare, my old friend, we meet again" lolol). My follow is Aela the Huntress, shes decked out in her assassins costume. Usually it's just me and Shadowmare, Aela stands guard outside of the thieves den. He can of course turn from his Khajiit form into beast form as well! But he doesn't often as silence is his friend. Night Eye, Nightingale Subterfuge, Summon Spectral Assassin and The Shadow Stone complete his main skill set. He's just so much fun to play as. Clearing out dungeons with stealth is how I enjoy to play him.

Nighty-night asshole...

So yeah, RPGs, especially Skyrim/Fallout types are my favourites, an I get immense satisfaction when games make you create your own character instead of being issued one generically, yet I can make one that is really consistent, like Shadow.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Elite Member
    lol habits i have in RPGs:

-I AM CHEAP. i never buy any new weapon or item and would prefer trying to loot them or fight with a weaker item to see if i could beat a boss.

-I HOARD ITEMS. in final fantasy i don't think i ever used item like elixers or hi/mega-potions and the like. in fallout or the elder scrolls i hold on to everything and drop them if i can't move.

-DO ALL SIDEQUESTS. i like to take care of all sidequests first as soon as it becomes available before i hit the main quest. which is the reason why i haven't beaten any of the elder scrolls games.

-START OVER. if i missed an item or an event or story then i stop my game and start over the last time i save. i always have two save files so you don't save yourself in a bad situation.

-TALK TO EVERYONE. i want to know what's on their mind even if they are just standing outside minding their own business. including to pets and animals.

-NOT A LOT OF MAGIC. goes back to being cheap. i like to save magic. i prefer using melee attacks. if there is a powerful spell that kills a lot of enemies than i will use to save time.

-EXPLORE EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY. i like to check every object in the background for hidden stuff.

-I DON'T REALLY GRIND. rather then train or fight in one particular area, i like to level up as i'm progressing. it's more interesting than having to grind in the same area. that's means i never escape when i'm in battles becuase that's where i get my points to level up.

-EVERY PARTY MEMBER IS ALIVE. if the battle ends with one of the characters dies than i have to start over. fallen party members don't gain experience points in some games.

-TAKING MY TIME. i know people that just plow through RPGS. i think RPGs are more enjoyable when you take your time and enjoy the music, atmosphere and story.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I treat all my games like RPG's. I'm also a collector, so I naturally look at every inch inside a building, explore the entire map to find all locations. Do all the side-quests and mini-quests. Try to make myself neutral to both factions/sides. I do loot a lot, but will not kill the innocent that is not bothering me. I search every nook and cranny for collectible items or coin. I do buy items, lots of health and ammo for rapid-fire weapons only. I only use the strongest and discard the weakest. I dress in whatever looks badass, even if it has a low armor rating, just as long as I'm killing in style. I use the most cost efficient perks that will do the job. Save the best for last. I try to use strong melee weapons more to conserve ammo. Eat food and snacks to conserve stimpacks lol. Talk to every person, get their opinions and different ideals, also gain xp this way. I'll playthrough the games as many times as I can change sides. Spend large amount of time customizing my character. I hate generic load outs. Try not to carry too much and store the rest in my safehouse locker, only taking exactly what I need, including backup plan weapons and health. Try to pick as many locks and computer hacks as possible and read everything about the history of the place, character, setting, time or event. Fallout is my favorite RPG series.
    Last edited by Lebowski; 05-20-2012 at 20:31.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeininja69 View Post
    -I DON'T REALLY GRIND. rather then train or fight in one particular area, i like to level up as i'm progressing. it's more interesting than having to grind in the same area. that's means i never escape when i'm in battles becuase that's where i get my points to level up.
    It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with leveling up. I tend to fight monsters in a particular area until I can accumulate enough money to purchase the strongest weapons and armor available at the time.

In some RPGs, like Final Fantasy X, it's fun to level up and see how powerful you can make each individual character in your party.
    Last edited by Black; 05-21-2012 at 00:56.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I wish pip-boys were real, no need for cars, I got fast travel *****es!

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    I play my RPGs on console, don't know who would play RPGs in real life... unless u know its after hours
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Thread Information