Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Will the pickup truck survive?

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/will-...-truck-survive

I have a question: Why is it vehicles with 4 wheel drive has worse MPG than vehicles without it? Why do you have to sacrifice MPG for 4 wheel drive?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

3. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I have a question: Why is it vehicles with 4 wheel drive has worse MPG than vehicles without it? Why do you have to sacrifice MPG for 4 wheel drive?
    A four wheel drive system weighs more than a two wheel drive system, and a four wheel drive system has twice the transmission and differential drag as a two wheel drive system.

Basically it takes twice the effort to turn four tires as it does turning two.

So, more of the engine power is used to turn the drivetrain, which means it takes more fuel to move the car.

5. Likes *goo, dreams, The Black Wolf likes this post
    El Presidente
    Pick-ups will stick around. You can't hull things around in a prius. They might guzzle gas but they're very useful.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Apprentice
    Yea, and it isn't like Trucks are not improving gas wise or anything....

I mean they all have some form of system to improve gas Mileage.

Dodge has its Multi Displacement System (shuts down half the cylinders until you kick it down or needs the power). My 04 doesn't have it and the 06's do..and the fuel efficiency is really noticeable between the two....the 2010's and newer have gotten that much better too.

Ford has Eco boost, I know the others have something similar.

In the end, they are getting better, and as stated, you will always need Trucks to haul.

Some of the Gas trucks are getting better and even Diesels have improved a lot.

Linux Mint 13 "Maya" with the MATE 1.6 desktop environment.
    Long live the Penguin!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Pickups are getting more popular here in theeUK but mostly for trades people not as an everyday vehicle.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    And most people who own a truck who need more "options" have a trailer to tow behind it...

I, personally, own an SUV that's a mirror of the truck body ...the 2001 F-150 LWB with a 5.4L V8 -- but the 2001 Expedition 4WD that I own is like, a baby to me. I love it, wouldn't trade it for the world..and will likely keep it until it won't go anymore.

My dad owns a 2001 F-150 5.4L and has OVER 350,000 miles on it. He's also the service writer at a Ford dealer...and he knows how to take care of a vehicle. He loves his truck and has always been adamant about taking good care of it (oil changes, etc)...
    I'm nearing 160,000 miles on my Expedition, though it's the same age as his, it hasn't been driven as much...
    hopefully I can stop putting so many miles on it by end of this year and we can park the Expedition and use something besides it as our daily driver.

Trucks & SUVs are both sticklers on gas mileage...that's their only negative mark. I know that my expedition is bad on gas (and i mean, barely 14-15mpg), but I like the power, the AWD/4WD, and the BIG vehicle with room in it. I KNOW my family is safe...I KNOW if we get hit by some idiot that we won't be all wrapped up in plastic and we'll have lots of steel around us to protect us, but hopefully we don't endure that. I'd HATE to lose my favorite vehicle since my Durango to a senseless driver's error...(Not saying I won't have a wreck, but I've not had a wreck since I was 21, and I'm 33 now.)

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Airiaen
    I hope so.

Apprentice
    Just by the shear number of contractors and similar trades, the pick up truck will most likely survive...It is the vehicle of many trades.

It serves a major role. It's just iconic...could you imagine seeing a construction crew pile out of an electric car with tools? Nope...Even the work vans can be annoying as they limit passengers... Trucks are still needed. Large storage and passenger capacity....

Especially when it comes to heavy hauling like Diesels. Good luck getting an electric vehicle that can put out an equivalent to 650 lbs of low end torque that the Cummins Turbo Diesel sports...That alone is a major roadblock for electric vehicles replacing diesel..

Linux Mint 13 "Maya" with the MATE 1.6 desktop environment.
    Long live the Penguin!

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    pickup trucks will always be around. there's these things outside of cities with $#@!es called men, and we carry around heavy $#@!

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

13. Likes Tyrannicide likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    Cities have $#@!es? And why would men live close to cities with $#@!es?

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I take you never heard of Bangkok or $#@!ermouth.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-22-2012 at 17:59.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    They aren't going anywhere. They are very useful and practical for a lot of people.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I actually just traded my truck in. Just wasn't using it enough and paying for the gas was just starting to get to me. Was averaging around 15MPG and everytime I filled up it would cost me close to $100 every time.

Traded my truck in for a 2012 Toyota 4Runner. I traded in my 2004 4Runner for the truck, had to go back to a 4Runner.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by FdMstng99 View Post
    I actually just traded my truck in. Just wasn't using it enough and paying for the gas was just starting to get to me. Was averaging around 15MPG and everytime I filled up it would cost me close to $100 every time.

Traded my truck in for a 2012 Toyota 4Runner. I traded in my 2004 4Runner for the truck, had to go back to a 4Runner.
    Mmm, 19mpg.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Better then what my Camaro gets. 10-12 MPG woohoo!!!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
    Cities have $#@!es? And why would men live close to cities with $#@!es?
    He meant the $#@!es are actually in the cities (cities with $#@!es...)

These load bearing "men" he speaks of apparently like to live near cities with $#@!es, I guess they like the comfort of knowing there are some fairly close by

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Mmm, 19mpg.
    is that what your getting with yours?

Thread Information