Thread: PS3 Dead.

Super Elite
    Items User name style

PS3 Dead.

Well, my PS3 finally kicked the bucket. Right in the middle of playing a game. I thought it was gonna last for ever. Thought it was better than all the rest. The bestest PS3 you ever did see. Now it won't switch on any longer. There any way to get this thing back on long enough to back $#@! up?
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    Well, my PS3 finally kicked the bucket. Right in the middle of playing a game. I thought it was gonna last for ever. Thought it was better than all the rest. The bestest PS3 you ever did see. Now it won't switch on any longer. There any way to get this thing back on long enough to back $#@! up?
    Some videos on YouTube shows how to use a hairdrier to turn it on again.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Doing any type of heating (hairdryer, oven etc.) can damage it, so only do that if you're willing to just throw it in the bin. Otherwise fix it properly by repasting the compound then back your stuff up and get it on ebay (especially get it on ebay if its a 60GB).
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Doing any type of heating (hairdryer, oven etc.) can damage it, so only do that if you're willing to just throw it in the bin. Otherwise fix it properly by repasting the compound then back your stuff up and get it on ebay (especially get it on ebay if its a 60GB).
    I can use thermal compound as a temporary fix? If I back up, I can transfer the data to a new ps3, right? What about protected saves?
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Do the hair dryer fix, much faster. Either way, they're both temporary fixes, you'll still need to get a slim or if you're lucky, a barely used launch model. I dunno about protected saves.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    I got it to spit out Resonance of Fate doing the fan trick or whatever it's called. I guess I can try one of the methods you guys mentioned. The hairdryer trick sounds scary as $#@! though. The PS3 looks like a pain in the ass to open and take apart too.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Protected saves will be transferred if you use the System Transfer thing, yes.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Protected saves will be transferred if you use the System Transfer thing, yes.
    Good to know. Gonna get this thing fixed up tomorrow.

Master Guru
    Sorry for your loss. The PS3 is the most reliable console ever made. That's unfortunate to hear.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Sorry for your loss. The PS3 is the most reliable console ever made. That's unfortunate to hear.
    I doubt that .my SNES & Mega drives lasted for years

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Yep. Moving parts etc.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    You don't have to open the system up for the hairdryer fix..just turn it around and blow the dryer at the back of the console for roughly 10-15 minutes. After that, let it cool near a cold place, NOT A FRIDGE, a grated window where air can come through to that part where you used the fan. I did this and on my 2nd try, my system started up again.

The only thing two things that suck about the PS Slim is no backwards compatibility and less media ports (sd card, memory stick ports taken out) the launch model is the best version ever, even if it's prone to YLOD.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Gentlemen, I have successfully revived my PS3 using the heatgun/reflow method. How long will this fix last? Who knows. But I'm going to back up all my saves, deactivate this $#@!, and get a new PS3.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    The only permanent solution to fix YLOD is to reball both chips CPU and GPU. You most install a new solder balls on both chips and clean the bga as well with flux and etc. By using hairdryer or anything close to that. It won't fix the problem at all.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Gentlemen, I have successfully revived my PS3 using the heatgun/reflow method. How long will this fix last? Who knows. But I'm going to back up all my saves, deactivate this $#@!, and get a new PS3.
    Couple of weeks to a couple of months. You could just keep doing it if you don't want to lose some of the phats features, but you could get a Slim with whatever you get for it. If its a 60GB you could get over $100 on ebay for it easily.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Couple of weeks to a couple of months. You could just keep doing it if you don't want to lose some of the phats features, but you could get a Slim with whatever you get for it. If its a 60GB you could get over $100 on ebay for it easily.
    Already got what I need from it. Gonna pick up a new one by the end of the week.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    What makes the 60 gb desirable just wondering cause that's what I have

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte666 View Post
    What makes the 60 gb desirable just wondering cause that's what I have

It has backwards compatibility with PS2 games.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Yep, and people pay good money, even if its broken.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    Thankyou for the answer mine only has like 80 hrs on it I've played ps1 games on it now I'm getting San andreas back out

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Glad to hear you got what you needed. But the title made me laugh n think of the Simpsons. The one with Lingo Lisa's robot that corrects grammar, when Homer says Longo dead, and then Lingo says Lingo is dead
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pgunz3
    Are you going to sell it or repair it ?

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by pgunz3 View Post
    Are you going to sell it or repair it ?
    Don't know what I'm going to do with it. Anywho, I bought a 160 gig slim. This thread can be ended, closed, or whatever.

Dedicated Member

If you manage to get it back up and running, use the data transfer function and everything will back up, eeven protected saves. BTW, this is the only way to get protected saves transferred or backed up.

Thread Information