Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
Results 51 to 63 of 63
  1. #51
    Super Elite
    Minnzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,270
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    2,616 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBS D@v!d View Post
    I always buy new games though, because I want everything sealed, "sterile" (lol) and fresh/new. It must be MINE. I'm collecting games. I have never ever sold a game in my entire life. And I got a huge load of games (lol I said huge load ^^).
    Not sure if it happens in your country but here in Aus EB and Game (I think Game does) have a 1 week return policy for many/most console games, when someone returns said game within a week they reseal it out the back and sell it new
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

  2. #52
    Forum Sage
    SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    27
    Posts
    9,440
    Rep Power
    93
    Points
    9,268 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    There are some that basically live on used games or basically games on the cheap. Even if the profits go towards the companies that re-sell games and not the devs/publishers, it can still keep a business afloat and people can keep their jobs. Also, by killing off used games can alienate a lot of potential customers, more than some console makers/devs/publishers could possibly realize.

    Thanks VENGEFUL_BLUR for the avatar and spyrde for the sig!

    Cogito ergo sum. - "I think, therefore I am."

  3. Likes Fon likes this post
  4. #53
    Elite Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    10,399
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    49,050 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    I totally believe it. However, since you both decided to ignore the part about "those who buy used just to save $5, rather than buying new to support good games/developers", you are forgiven for taking my words wildly out-of-context.
    I'm not taking anything out of context. You said real gamers always buy new - that's not true. What if a 'real' gamer has responsibilities and gaming takes the back seat. Is he not a gamer because he wanted to save some extra money to provide for his family?

    I don't care what you say. Your original point was BS.


    BBK. Tapatalking.

  5. #54
    El Presidente
    podsaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    in a box
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,972
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    25,148 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    Adding to this logic, used games also help grow awareness for a certain game/franchise. Take this scenario for example; My three friends want to play a game on their consoles so I let them borrow, God of War III(They take turns a day each). After they return the game, two tell me that they enjoyed it. So what happens next?. They either A. Buy their own copy or B. If they finished it then they'll anticipate the next title and become potential consumers for that franchise(Ascension, Collections and Origins).

    If used games are blocked and I recommend friends to buy, God of War III, what will happen?. They will be skeptical because they have to pay for the game new. Just my recommendations isn't enough, they have to experience it for themselves. If you give them a free trial then chances are, they will enjoy it and most likely look into the other titles and future releases for that franchise. So when someone says that a used game is a lost sale then they're dead wrong. They create potential consumers for franchises and future titles. All the developer needs to do however is make good games.
    I wish they still had demos as much as they used to. I remember buying some game I don't remember what but it had a disk with a God of War 1 demo. I played that hydra battle at the beginning and that had me hooked. From then on I bought 1-3 all new. I remember entire disks devoted to having just demos on them.

    If developers really don't like used games then with every game make a demo of that game. Then people can decide for themselves if they want to buy or not. That would be great but some games don't have a demo to play so you either rent, buy used or buy new and hope it wasn't a waste of money. Nobody wants to spend $60 on a game they end up not enjoying and you can't always tell if you'll like something just by watching a video about it.

    Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

  6. #55
    Dedicated Member
    Equinoqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Appalachian Mtns.
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Posts
    1,147
    Rep Power
    42
    Points
    16,700 (0 Banked)
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I'm not taking anything out of context. You said real gamers always buy new - that's not true. What if a 'real' gamer has responsibilities and gaming takes the back seat. Is he not a gamer because he wanted to save some extra money to provide for his family?

    I don't care what you say. Your original point was BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    Used games have allowed mainstream 'gamers' to slowly strangle their own hobby. I buy used copies of rare or out-of-print games, but those who buy used just to save $5, rather than buying new to support good games/developers (especially smaller ones), are not true gamers but are just typical greedy consumers who have a specialty in videogames - which is, unfortunately, probably a majority today.
    Hmmm...nope, the words "real gamers always buy new" never appears in my post. But what part of "those who buy used just to save $5" is causing you confusion? If you'd rather buy a used copy of some small developer's game that you enjoy instead of supporting them by buying new, simply to save $5, then you don't care much for gaming as a whole. Either that, or playing the same AAA title from the same 5 publishers over and over doesn't bother you. And yes, anyone having to choose between videogames and supporting their family is not a true gamer...they're just an asshole.


    Shut up and play games

  7. #56
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    18,198
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    66,528 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I have not bought a used game since PS1. In those days 97/98 I was earning 1.67 per hour so a new PS1 game was easily half my weekly wage so I had to make sure it was a good one before buying.

    Buying used games caused me to find some really great games I would never have bought Zelda OOT or Soul Blade if I hd to spend the full 35-40 on them because Zelda was not normally the style of game I find entertaining it was a new genre to me.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-22-2012 at 15:32.

  8. #57
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,689
    Rep Power
    145
    Points
    83,511 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    Used games have allowed mainstream 'gamers' to slowly strangle their own hobby. I buy used copies of rare or out-of-print games, but those who buy used just to save $5, rather than buying new to support good games/developers (especially smaller ones), are not true gamers but are just typical greedy consumers who have a specialty in videogames - which is, unfortunately, probably a majority today.
    You are assuming all used games are only $5 cheaper. Not sure why you would think this.....

    I purchase new games when I know it is a good game worthy of the full price. Not many games out there deserve this. Not sure how this makes me the greedy one? And I am pretty sure I am a true gamer lol.

    In the end, it is the used games that keep the video game scene strong. It also creates jobs like Gamefly, Blockbuster, and any other company renting out video games. We will never see digital downloads as being our only option.
    Last edited by Lethal; 05-22-2012 at 15:59.

  9. #58
    Master Guru
    Fon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    @Home
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,141
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    113,212 (10,000 Banked)
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
    There are some that basically live on used games or basically games on the cheap. Even if the profits go towards the companies that re-sell games and not the devs/publishers, it can still keep a business afloat and people can keep their jobs. Also, by killing off used games can alienate a lot of potential customers, more than some console makers/devs/publishers could possibly realize.
    That's exactly the point I made on my last post. Not everyone can afford new so they seek an alternative: Used games. Getting rid of that and only sell games as new will prevent potential fans from buying your games.







  10. #59
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Digital downloads will be the Xbox 4/PS5 only option IMO. If we even have consoles then. I think cloud gaming will take over by that time.

  11. #60
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    46
    Points
    2,190 (0 Banked)
    Some people trade in used games to buy a new one. If I buy used games, I'm helping other people to get new ones. So buying used games actually help the sales of new games. I think it makes sense... What if I buy an used game and then buy something related to it on PSN? Still supporting the developers.

  12. Likes Lethal likes this post
  13. #61
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,689
    Rep Power
    145
    Points
    83,511 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Digital downloads will be the Xbox 4/PS5 only option IMO. If we even have consoles then. I think cloud gaming will take over by that time.
    I just do not see how they would ever do that bro. So much money would be lost from the lack of sales because people do want the option to sell their games later on. This will cause people to not buy games that they normally wouldn't. This is not at all comparable to measly $2-$15 digital downloads we have now. I crap out $15 a day. But $60+ is too much. And how will we get our "Collectors or Special" editions if they are digital only? There are just too many variables that point to failure if they go this route.

    Quote Originally Posted by melleka View Post
    Some people trade in used games to buy a new one. If I buy used games, I'm helping other people to get new ones. So buying used games actually help the sales of new games. I think it makes sense... What if I buy an used game and then buy something related to it on PSN? Still supporting the developers.
    Another good point.

  14. #62
    Veteran
    Cyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,274
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    11,593 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Always liked Pachter. Top bloke He's so knowledgeable and dreamy

  15. #63
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    46
    Points
    574 (0 Banked)
    I think used game sales are very important to the gaming industry. The extra few bucks the consumer saves will allow them to take chances on games they might not play if they had to pony up the extra cash. So, even with franchises like Final Fantasy it can attract new gamers through not only used game sales, but borrowing/exchanging games with friends. Remember, used games are not only going to be sold, but borrowed and traded with other gamers. I can see how this article has no clear point to why banning used games is bad, however it was only more of a thought on a podcast so it is understandable. Used games and new games have no real difference and banning used games because of "sales" is an ill advised move because I am not going to spend 60 bucks for games that I may not play more than one playthrough or a few times. If someone knows their purchase has no value after being used once then they will carefully choose what they want to buy. This will hurt every dev because games that are like CoD and Madden and have yearly releases will now be careful purchases and devs with not so known gems will fall to the wayside.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.