Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Rockstar: The Most Consistent Maker Of Top-Quality Games?

I had this discussion with someone the other day, and after quite some time, we came to a mildly surprising conclusion:

Rockstar might be the most consistently great developer of the generation.

The primary contestants were Naughty Dog, BioWare, Valve, and Bethesda. Now, while Naughty Dog might be the one developer that has pushed the boundaries of interactive entertainment more than any other, we can essentially only consider one franchise: Uncharted. Obviously, that could - and should - change when The Last Of Us releases later this year.

BioWare has done fantastic things with Dragon Age and Mass Effect, but some consider DAII to be a minor slip-up, and although we at PSXE will always defend the greatness of ME3, the ending snafu will forever be an unfortunate black mark on that game. Part of ultimate success is pleasing the fans, after all. Valve was a consideration but as amazing as the Portal games are, we'll probably all be dead before Half-Life 3 comes out and I was never that impressed with the Left 4 Dead games. Then there's Bethesda with Fallout and The Elder Scrolls, which is great, but the inherent bugginess of those games (especially on the PS3) knocks them down a peg.

In truth, it could very well be Rockstar. Grand Theft Auto IV, Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3 have all been big-time hits according to both the critics and sales charts (although we're still waiting on the sales numbers for MP3). Plus, if you go back beyond this generation, you only find more greatness with old GTA titles and hey, who remembers the total coolness that was Bully? Last but not least, you've got Grand Theft Auto V - and very possibly the new Red Dead - looming on the horizon, which, by all rights, should solidify Rockstar as the overall most impressive developer out there.

Of course, there's a ways to go and things can change. But for now, we've gotta say that all the talented guys and gals over there at Rockstar are truly...well, rock stars.
    http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/11213.html

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Except GTA 4 was a massive step backwards compared to Vice City and San Andreas, so no.

Superior Member

Can't disagree with that, just started playing L.A Noire and the game is fantastic such high production values and quality story telling and although I have never quite finished a rockstar game yet I still hold all their games very highly. Seriously cannot wait to get max Payne 3

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D D3V!L View Post
    Except GTA 4 was a massive step backwards compared to Vice City and San Andreas, so no.

Yes but as a game it was still up there for me.

For the things it did wrong, it did many things right. It was a new direction that would have helped R* learn a lot of things.

For example to me the driving physics of GTA IV alone make it better than pretty much all open world games this gen. It was still a very enjoyable game, to me.

TBOGT was pretty awesome too.

5. Likes DeRaddyoMoFo likes this post
    Elite Guru

Meh. They have been good in recent years but they have made quite a few stinkers, lets not forget Manhunt 2 which really isn't that long ago and was terrible. Also a lot that was just... Average (Smugglers run, read dead revolver, state of emergency and the first manhunt).

Would give it to Valve or Naughty dog who has been more consistent through more generations.

Anyway, what a terrible article, can barely be called one. It's just a few lines of not very deep thoughts.
    Last edited by clean515; 05-21-2012 at 15:46.
    Calculating Infinity

7. Likes bigCman123 likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    You could say that. But I didn't really like any of their games this gen except maybe RDR.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    Yes but as a game it was still up there for me.

For the things it did wrong, it did many things right. It was a new direction that would have helped R* learn a lot of things.

For example to me the driving physics of GTA IV alone make it better than pretty much all open world games this gen. It was still a very enjoyable game, to me.

TBOGT was pretty awesome too.
    I guess we are exact opposite. I thought the driving physics. the lack of fun mini games, and the boring dating almost killed the game for me.
    If I wanted to have realistic driving physics I would play a dedicated racing game, not a GTA game. These driving physics only made it annoying to navigate the city at higher speeds. Though it was kind of hilarious to watch even the AI struggle during races.
    Most of the mini games that were fun in Vice City were gone, and that made the game boring.

Though I must admit that the addition of taxi taking you anywhere immediately(making the annoying driving less apparent), the auto save, retaining your weapons when you die, the ability to shoot from a vehicle in any direction, the new wanted system, and the any time phone, where big steps forward from Vice City.
    Basically, Saints Row 2 is pretty much what GTA4 should have been in the fun department.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

10. Likes SuperSayian5Goku likes this post
    Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    I guess we are exact opposite. I thought the driving physics. the lack of fun mini games, and the boring dating almost killed the game for me.
    If I wanted to have realistic driving physics I would play a dedicated racing game, not a GTA game. These driving physics only made it annoying to navigate the city at higher speeds. Though it was kind of hilarious to watch even the AI struggle during races.
    Most of the mini games that were fun in Vice City were gone, and that made the game boring.

Though I must admit that the addition of taxi taking you anywhere immediately(making the annoying driving less apparent), the auto save, retaining your weapons when you die, the ability to shoot from a vehicle in any direction, the new wanted system, and the any time phone, where big steps forward from Vice City.
    Basically, Saints Row 2 is pretty much what GTA4 should have been in the fun department.
    First question, why the hell do you people always have to make so that a game HAS TO be one way or the other? If i want semi realistic( not realistic at all) vehicle physics then why should i just play racing games? All those racing games dont offer anything in terms of contant that IV does and by that I mean an open world, able to walk around and proper missions. Would you preder the crap that you see in saints row? the types of physics were you don't even need to try because its so easy? Were the car just turn without you having to take speed into consideration? In IV the cars were something you wanted to drive, even if IV had air-planes i would still mainly be driving as it is much more enjoyable.

I bet if you tried to understand the control you would enjoy them, it adds a lot to the game and since driving is a massive part, it should feel like its made so that it feels like its had time put into it, unlike any other open world game were 80% of the cars sound and drive the exact same.

The driving felt more a part of the game and the better you got at it, the better results ( less chance of dying in missions, easily beat people in races, being able to get away better etc...)

Oh an i never had aproblem with AI driving, they were jsut too slow or my liking.

I agree about the side missions and overall IV was not that fun and was mission quite a lot of content that should have been in the game.

I should also mention that the physic engine( when you shoot people, run them over) is what also made IV much better, the game felt realistic in terns of shooting people( reactions) and when running people over.( controling niko was pretty annoying though) euphoria is IMO the best addition to this gen.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    If so many people disliked GTA IV then how come it was Rockstar's biggest success yet (in terms of sales)?

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    If so many people disliked GTA IV then how come it was Rockstar's biggest success yet (in terms of sales)?
    Cause gamers didn't know it was gonna suck ass when they were at the game shop, coming in their pants in anticipation.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

14. Likes Bigdoggy likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Cause gamers didn't know it was gonna suck ass when they were at the game shop, coming in their pants in anticipation.
    The first day only contributes a small part of the total sales.

Superior Member
    Biased obviously, but I disagree. GTA4 was a flop IMO, maybe not commercially or critically, but to me it was.

I'd give the title to Valve. I seriously cannot think of a single BAD Valve game. And not just this generation either.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    I'd say that I put more hours into GTA IV than Saints Row 2. And I put a little over 50 hours into the latter so you can't blame me for not giving it a chance.

It's obvious to me that Rockstar wants to focus more on realism (physics, animations, graphics etc.) but all I really want in an open-world game like GTA is a highly-detailed, unique world to explore. I don't care if Volition allows me to dump **** on unsuspecting pedestrians or slap them around with purple *****s or do other over-the-top activities. I'm more interested in getting into high-speed chases and epic shootouts with the police and hopefully the military.

Basically, I'm okay with this:

And I agree with Joe Zombie in that if there's any development studio out there that should be praised for consistently providing top-quality games, it's Valve.
    Last edited by Black; 05-21-2012 at 19:42.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    Hardly. Especially if you include Rockstar's PS2 games in the mix. GTA IV was definitely a step back from San Andreas for them.

Naughhty Dog, Team ICO, or any of a number of other developers have near-perfect records where top-quality games are concerned. The number of titles produced shouldn't factor into the 'quality' of a developer. If that were the case, EA would be considered Most Consistent Maker Of Top-Quality Games.

Shut up and play games

19. Likes SuperSayian5Goku, Ghost likes this post
    The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    They are talking about this generation and they have been consistently good. Of course they're not the only one.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    interesting that rockstar is being credited to the making of Team Bondi's L.A. Noir.

and out of all those games... i own GTA IV, Red Dead, and L.A. Noir... and got bored with all of them before ever finishing the games. they were great for a bit... then quickly became too repetitive and cookie cutter. Not saying they arent great games... just not great games to me.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Rockstar is one of the best in the industry. They develop and publish some of the best games.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I'd say that I put more hours into GTA IV than Saints Row 2. And I put a little over 50 hours into the latter so you can't blame me for not giving it a chance.

It's obvious to me that Rockstar wants to focus more on realism (physics, animations, graphics etc.) but all I really want in an open-world game like GTA is a highly-detailed, unique world to explore. I don't care if Volition allows me to dump **** on unsuspecting pedestrians or slap them around with purple *****s or do other over-the-top activities. I'm more interested in getting into high-speed chases and epic shootouts with the police and hopefully the military.

Basically, I'm okay with this:

And I agree with Joe Zombie in that if there's any development studio out there that should be praised for consistently providing top-quality games, it's Valve.

Hahahaha, I find this funny, to me that scene reminds more or less of the mission in GTA IV were you rob the bank, its not exactly similar but sill close enough for me to remember than epic mission.

Valve are probably up there though in terms of top quality games.

To me Rockstar do what I think every developer/publisher should do and aim for, making new, innovating games that are a challenge instead of just making the same old game again and again and again.

RDR, LA noire, GTA IV( again, they took a new direction with this, just cause they did it here does not mean it will be like this for now on) and even MP3 can be said to be one of the most cinematic games out now, i dislike cinematic games so this is a miss for me.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Tbh I didn't like GTA IV half as much as San Andreas. Sure, R* improved a lot in terms of gameplay and graphics but for me, it wasn't a very enjoyable expreience. What you want from a game like GTA is a fun-to-explore open world with stuff to do other than just missions and linear things like dart and pool.

From what I've seen so far, GTA V is going to be even more along the lines of IV. Which, imo isn't what they should be doing.

People want a game, not a life-simulator.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

25. Likes SuperSayian5Goku likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Rockstar is one of the best game developers

27. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post
    Tbh I didn't like GTA IV half as much as San Andreas. Sure, R* improved a lot in terms of gameplay and graphics but for me, it wasn't a very enjoyable expreience. What you want from a game like GTA is a fun-to-explore open world with stuff to do other than just missions and linear things like dart and pool.

From what I've seen so far, GTA V is going to be even more along the lines of IV. Which, imo isn't what they should be doing.

People want a game, not a life-simulator.
    What have you seen so far other than the debut trailer?
    I'm extremely hyped for gta V because I skipped gta IV

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    What have you seen so far other than the debut trailer?
    I'm extremely hyped for gta V because I skipped gta IV
    I thought there were reports that the city was going to be huge and there will be police which will act like real police. (like bounties in RDR)
    Last edited by gangsta_795; 05-22-2012 at 07:00.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Please tell me this isn't a serious question? Same reason Activision is getting by with Call of Casual. All hype! (At least Rockstar for the most part give you substance) Nobody knew GTAIV wasn't going to be as good as the others in the series, but people knew Call of Casual would be stupid. But bought it anyway because of their friends. That simple.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

31. Likes SuperSayian5Goku, MartyRules likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post
    I thought there were reports that the city was going to be huge and there will be police which will act like real police. (like bounties in RDR)
    Those were rumors.

I like realistic elements in my games but I don't want cops searching an extra 24 to 72 in-game hours for someone that fits my description after I evade them. And I want to be able to drive down the street at high speeds without the cops pursuing me. Leave that stuff to the Mafia games. I hope the part about the military being included again is true though.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

PSN ID
    vladspartan
    Quote Originally Posted by clean515 View Post
    Meh. They have been good in recent years but they have made quite a few stinkers, lets not forget Manhunt 2 which really isn't that long ago and was terrible. Also a lot that was just... Average (Smugglers run, read dead revolver, state of emergency and the first manhunt).

Would give it to Valve or Naughty dog who has been more consistent through more generations.

Anyway, what a terrible article, can barely be called one. It's just a few lines of not very deep thoughts.
    Don't insult other members. ~Blacksite

manhunt was bad?
    or you cant play because is hard? iol
    Last edited by Black; 05-22-2012 at 08:02.

Thread Information