Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud

Wii U Darksiders 2 graphics "at least as good" as PS3, Xbox 360 versions'...

The graphics of the Wii U version of Darksiders 2 are "at least as good" as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions', developer Vigil has said.
    Game companies and developers are under strict orders not to discuss the Wii U in detail publicly, a directive that has led to speculation about the horsepower of Nintendo's Wi successor. Indeed one report from earlier this year claimed the Wii U was "not as capable" as the PS3 and Xbox 360.

But with final developer kits now with engineers, and Nintendo just two weeks away from unveiling the final version of the hardware at E3, Vigil has insisted Wii U owners will see visual parity when it comes to multiplatform games.

"The visuals will be the same," associate producer Jay Fitzloff told Eurogamer. "It's still a work in progress. But I know, at least as good is the way to say it."

In July last Vigil told Eurogamer it spent just five weeks in the run up to E3 2011 creating a working version of the action adventure game on Wii U. Then, Vigil said the Wii U had "plenty of horsepower", "so we're not going to have to make any visual concessions at all".

At that time developers were working off of second generation Wii U dev kits - early versions of the console - and its horsepower was in flux. Then, game director Marvin Donald said, "If the Wii U turns out to be this ridiculously powerful machine, we will probably make changes to our budget and scope to take advantage of that." This hasn't happened.

"[Getting Darksiders 2 working on Wii U] is not as challenging as you might think," Fitzloff said. "Getting it working was not any issue on the Wii U. It's just the control scheme. It's new territory. It's a new frontier. The Wii, after a while, there's a lot you could have done with the Wii controls, but everybody kind of got into a groove, and it became, here's how you handle this or here's how you handle this. Now it's the wild frontier. There's no set system. You've got to think outside the box because there's no precedent.

"It's not getting the game working on the system. It's getting a cool control system that feels correct. And that's where we're at now."

Vigil was even able to quickly get Darksiders 2 running with the Wii U controller, which can stream gameplay from the console.

"When we first got it up and running, you can have the game download to and run on the pad, and everybody was like, that could take a while, little worried," Fitzloff explained. "It took a programmer two lines of code and five minutes. Working with it is not difficult."

Darksiders 2 will use the Wii U controller in obvious ways - for inventory and map use - but the impact of these "no brainers" on gameplay is, according to Fitzloff, huge.

"Any game would have their inventory on the controller screen," he said. "But even that little simple thing is a big difference because you never have to stop the game on the main screen. That will change people's perceptions because you've never had a game where you didn't have to.

"They take you out [of the experience], whereas this just goes."

He added: "And you're talking about the low hanging fruit. You're talking about the easy stuff. The rest of it is where the challenge comes in. What do we do beyond that that makes it feel natural and integral?"

One developer working on Wii U, who wished to remain anonymous, told Eurogamer Wii U ports will at best look as good as PS3 and Xbox 360 games. However, he indicated gamers will only see its true graphics capabilities with games built from the ground up for Wii U later in its life cycle.

For its part, Nintendo has said its focus with the Wii U is gameplay, not graphics. "We do not focus on technology specs," Nintendo said in March of this year. "We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers."
    sOURCE

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    can't wait to see stuff for the wii u when E3 comes around

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Pitchford from Gearbox said Wii U version of Aliens will be the definitive version of the game graphically speaking, now this guy says DS2 will be AT LEAST as good...if AC3 gets similar claims...And if Nintendo rain 1st party content that isn't about money and italian plumbers...they might get mah money.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    You know what would make me buy this thing day 1? Metroid Prime man, freaking Metroid!
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Pitchford from Gearbox said Wii U version of Aliens will be the definitive version of the game graphically speaking, now this guy says DS2 will be AT LEAST as good...if AC3 gets similar claims...And if Nintendo rain 1st party content that isn't about money and italian plumbers...they might get mah money.
    I think that's how it's gonna be with the Wii U. It seems the Wii U is more powerful than the current gen. But probably not by too much. And so it'll be up to developers whether they want to take advantage or just straight port. And I think most devs are going to choose the latter unfortunately
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    I think that's how it's gonna be with the Wii U. It seems the Wii U is more powerful than the current gen. But probably not by too much. And so it'll be up to developers whether they want to take advantage or just straight port. And I think most devs are going to choose the latter unfortunately
    it seems like that will be the case. Only for a year or two until the next PS/Xbox systems.. then Nintendo will be he graphical underdog again

Friendship is Carrots
    I sense the dissonance here being something akin to the XBox to the PS2, or the PS3, to the 360. We'll see some minor improvements, but overall it won't be too impressive as the next Xbox and PS4 won't be too far behind. I wish Nintendo would stop playing around in the past.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

8. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Super Elite

Hey guys, more info on it that I think everyone would be interested in.

First off (about the game in general), it's going to be a great value for a AAA game considering it will take 25 hours just to critical path it!
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Dar...ong-42830.html

Second and more relevant to the Wii U specifically:
    http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1392633...ler_vigil.html

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I just want a damn HD Zelda game!

11. Likes BBK.. , RaY_210 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I don't think anyone should expect to be blown away by the Wii U visually. Nintendo seems to be more interested in gameplay than anything else.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I don't think anyone should expect to be blown away by the Wii U visually. Nintendo seems to be more interested in gameplay than anything else.
    Well you have to, otherwise what do you have left?

I'd say Sony and MS are just as well interested in gameplay as Nintendo.

Super Elite

Can we calm down with the stupid bashing? We all know what the Wii U is going to be, lets stay on topic.

IMO (and based on the link I provided), we'll probably see Dearksiders 2 being played on the Wii U at the big unveiling.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    Can we calm down with the stupid bashing? We all know what the Wii U is going to be, lets stay on topic.

IMO (and based on the link I provided), we'll probably see Dearksiders 2 being played on the Wii U at the big unveiling.
    Care to explain where anyone here was "bashing" anything?.

On topic: I'm guessing that the Wii U will be capable of much more but developers will try to keep all versions similar by porting them, I doubt that they'll abandon that practice with the Wii U. I'm sure that exclusive titles will take full advantage of the hardware much like how Sony and Microsoft studios do with theirs.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Bullcrap, Wii U wont even be close to the prowess of the 360 or PS3, so this game wont be much cop on it.

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Forum Overseer
    ^We don't know yet if it will be more powerful or not. We do know that developers have been saying that it will be more.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Bullcrap, Wii U wont even be close to the prowess of the 360 or PS3, so this game wont be much cop on it.
    7:50 onwards. I guess maybe the CEO of Gearbox is mistaken? "It's clear to us that the best looking concole version of Aliens: CM is gonna be on the Wii U."

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Meh, very much doubt that nintendo can make anything that can touch the xbox or ps3. never been their thing.

If they can, then colour be very surprised

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    We will find out in 2 weeks.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Meh, very much doubt that nintendo can make anything that can touch the xbox or ps3. never been their thing.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this logic. Every generation Nintendo has more or less kept up with the latest technology. It was just with the Wii that they chose to skip HD and focus on motion controls. PS XBox made a huge jump from last gen to this one with their first consoles in HD. I don't understand how you think Nintendo can't make a similar one with their first HD console.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Super Elite

Agreed, even with off the shelf parts they could cheaply build something better than the 6-7 year old consoles. This is the first I've heard of someone saying something THIS outlandish.

23. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Forum Overseer

It's only been 6 years into this generation...

So yes, you're right, no way!

25. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    My logic was flawed when i typed before. Ive only seen Nintendo as Wii aka, not powerful and aimed at kids. I dont look at them as gaming hardcore giants. Just Mario.

Ive been doing my research and yes the Wii U should easily be comparable if not more powerful than the 360/PS3 seeing as they've been out for ages.

So...............wii u strikes first!

Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Something I just realised too is that is surprising that Nintendo is embracing all these mature, M rated games for their console. Its something that they have never been THAT focused on. Its good to see them embrace it now.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    ^^ Yep, too many devs are saying that the Wii U will have the best versions of console games IF the devs put in the effort. Darksiders 2, Aliens: CM and Metro: Last Light have all been stated as the definitive versions graphics wise (well, DS2 will be "at least" as good). Whether I grab a Wii U will depend on what 1st party content is available. having the graphically superior version of 3rd party titles isn't enough for me, and Mario/Zelda/Kirby/Donkey Kong wont cut it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    ^^ Yep, too many devs are saying that the Wii U will have the best versions of console games IF the devs put in the effort. Darksiders 2, Aliens: CM and Metro: Last Light have all been stated as the definitive versions graphics wise (well, DS2 will be "at least" as good). Whether I grab a Wii U will depend on what 1st party content is available. having the graphically superior version of 3rd party titles isn't enough for me, and Mario/Zelda/Kirby/Donkey Kong wont cut it for me.
    Well so far it seems they are going to be relying heavily on the 3rd party support for the games. I'm sure they will announce a slew of first party games at E3.. but I doubt it will be anything aside from the usual Mario/Sports/Zelda

Thread Information