Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

New Sleeping Dogs trailer, 101, and screenshots!

Square has released a new video for United Frontís Sleeping Dogs. Dubbed 101, like a college course, it gives you a look at the gameís many features. Watch it below courtesy of Gematsu, which also has a set of screenshots posted. Gameís out in August.

Source

Everything I've seen about this game so far looks great. And with reports of Grand Theft Auto V most likely releasing in April of next year, this should be a fun game to play until then.

Last edited by Metal King Slime; 05-24-2012 at 19:05.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

2. Likes Kuro likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    nice man this game looks pretty dope so far

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    It's one of my most anticipated titles. The action sequences look great.

5. Likes TreKKiker , Kuro likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    HitMan00
    omg, he just beat that guy with the telephone lol and that part were he jump off the bike that was awesome. hope there's a demo.

7. Likes Kuro likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Can't wait, looks awsome!

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TekkenLord View Post
    omg, he just beat that guy with the telephone lol and that part were he jump off the bike that was awesome. hope there's a demo.
    Yeah, the fact that you can use almost anything in your environment to defeat your opponents is a pretty cool feature. Not to mention being able to jump from one car to the next and take control of it during high-speed chases which seems reminiscent of Pursuit Force. Overall, Sleeping Dogs looks like it's going to be a very fun title to play. Especially for fans of open world titles.

Forum Overseer
    The game looks cool and fun but it seems a little late because we already have GTAV coming out and we all know that's going to be better.

I really wish they had gone more risque with their approach and had kept it the way it is but with less western influence.

I'm thinking more like Shenmue here than GTA.

It still retains qualities to be different than other sandbox games but I really wish they had done some things differently.

1) What's up with that cheesy narrator? Don't explain everything, keep it a mystery. Look at how Rockstar does it.

2) Storyline looks whack. Unless there's more to do than the old "get your rep up with the gang (Triad) and then take them down" then it has destroyed half of the game for me. The rest is just shallowness.

3) All the things that look good (i.e. kung fu, using your environment, use any weapon) may not be enough to make it a deep game like GTA games are (in gameplay) but we'll see.

Really my biggest problem with it so far is that it's trying too much to be a western-style game and I don't want that. I know they want to keep it different but really try to sell it to the west because that's where all the money is but imo if they kept it eastern, people will come...just keep it real.

Elite Member
    It reminds me a little of Yakuza. I'd be willing to buy it if I got to try a demo.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    The game looks cool and fun but it seems a little late because we already have GTAV coming out and we all know that's going to be better.
    The game isn't late to anything. It was formerly known as True Crime: Hong Kong back in 2009 before Square Enix picked up the rights from Activision and turned it into Sleeping Dogs. To say that we all know Grand Theft Auto V is going to be better without playing it is awfully premature. Not to mention that we know more about Sleeping Dogs than we do Grand Theft Auto V.

I really wish they had gone more risque with their approach and had kept it the way it is but with less western influence.

I'm thinking more like Shenmue here than GTA.
    It still retains qualities to be different than other sandbox games but I really wish they had done some things differently.

1) What's up with that cheesy narrator? Don't explain everything, keep it a mystery. Look at how Rockstar does it.
    The last time Rockstar kept their game a mystery (i.e. GTA IV) people were disappointed.

2) Storyline looks whack. Unless there's more to do than the old "get your rep up with the gang (Triad) and then take them down" then it has destroyed half of the game for me. The rest is just shallowness.
    Again, you're being premature.

What's wrong with the story, exactly?

3) All the things that look good (i.e. kung fu, using your environment, use any weapon) may not be enough to make it a deep game like GTA games are (in gameplay) but we'll see.
    Yes, we'll see. I hope you're not trying to write this game off as something akin to Saints Row. The gameplay features look like they actually benefit the experience as a whole. They're not randomly strung together to try and appear more fun. In other words, Sleeping Dogs looks like it wants to take the quality over quantity route and that's fine by me. No one's asking for another 'GTA-killer'.

Really my biggest problem with it so far is that it's trying too much to be a western-style game and I don't want that. I know they want to keep it different but really try to sell it to the west because that's where all the money is but imo if they kept it eastern, people will come...just keep it real.
    I think you need to do more research into this game. It's taking a cue from countless Hong Kong cinema films where the action is over-the-top and stylistic. You know, movies like Hard Boiled from director John Woo. As far as I'm concerned, the game is 'keeping it real'. And it's being developed by United Front Games so there's no requirement for it to play like Shenmue, as great as that game was.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 05-25-2012 at 00:59.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    The game isn't late to anything. It was formerly known as True Crime: Hong Kong back in 2009 before Square Enix picked up the rights from Activision and turned it into Sleeping Dogs. To say that we all know Grand Theft Auto V is going to be better without playing it is awfully premature. Not to mention that we know more about Sleeping Dogs than we do Grand Theft Auto V.
    Two reasons I make this assumption.

1) It doesn't look better than GTAIV in many ways so far. And for a game coming out 4 years later...it should in be better in almost every way. It's not.

2) GTAV will likely be far better than GTAIV due to three reasons:

i) More market is out there so it puts more pressure on Rockstar to deliver.
    ii) Rockstar has almost a decade of experience in making games like this.
    iii) They have more knowledge with the current gen consoles to make sandbox games.

3) GTAV's trailer, while not showing much, still shows more potential to be a bigger and deeper game. The trailer was still very impressive.

You can always play the Yakuza games.
    Yakuza is nothing like Shenmue.

The last time Rockstar kept their game a mystery (i.e. GTA IV) people were disappointed.
    1) They didn't have enough experience with the current gen consoles.
    2) They rushed it.
    3) GTAIV wasn't that bad, just that it didn't have as much or more things to do and multiplayer failed, it was still fun playing it the first time around.

Again, you're being premature.
    That's why I said, so far what they've shown us. I really hope there's hell of a lot more to it. While GTAIV was disappointing to me as well, I still liked Nico's story (minus the ending).

EDIT: The video you posted is exactly what I said lol. Under-cover cop getting rep from a gang that it will ultimately take down...what did I miss so far?

EDIT: What's wrong with the storyline? How about, there's not enough of a plot? and it's cliche?

Yes, we'll see. I hope you're not trying to write this game off as something akin to Saints Row. The gameplay features look like they actually benefit the experience as a whole. They're not randomly strung together to try and appear more fun. In other words, Sleeping Dogs looks like it wants to take the quality over quantity route and that's fine by me. No one's asking for another 'GTA-killer'.
    Actually my entire point was to not be like GTA (thus not being its killer). I want something different. I want something more like Shenmue but having open world...I mean, that would completely be an eastern game and it would totally blow my socks off.

This is trying to be a GTA-killer but with an eastern touch...the problem is the "touch". It needs to be a full experience...so far, it seems like it's more for the western audience than the eastern. Which is fine but really I think there would be enough audience...just a different kind. They're trying to get the casuals on-board while trying to cater to the hardcore.

I think you need to do more research into this game. It's taking a cue from countless Hong Kong cinema films where the action is over-the-top and stylistic. You know, movies like Hard Boiled from director John Woo. As far as I'm concerned, the game is 'keeping it real'. And it's being developed by United Front Games so there's no requirement for it to play like Shenmue, as great as that game was.
    Yea I get that but do you realize where those hong kong directors get their influence from? lol.

I don't think I'm the one who needs to research

I'm not saying it should be a requirement, I'm saying that they should put more culture into it (which Shenmue had). It looks a little cliche is what I'm saying.
    Last edited by Omar; 05-25-2012 at 01:06.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Two reasons I make this assumption.

1) It doesn't look better than GTAIV in many ways so far. And for a game coming out 4 years later...it should in be better in almost every way. It's not.
    You're making the assumption that this game is competing with Grand Theft Auto V. It's not. Just like how Saints Row 2 wasn't competing with Grand Theft Auto IV. And even if it was, you're wrong about it not looking better. They've explained in a previous developer diary that they added a lot of detail and they've explored Hong Kong, the Triads, how people interact with one another etc.

2) GTAV will likely be far better than GTAIV due to three reasons:

i) More market is out there so it puts more pressure on Rockstar to deliver.
    ii) Rockstar has almost a decade of experience in making games like this.
    iii) They have more knowledge with the current gen consoles to make sandbox games.
    Well, you've got to start somewhere, right?

3) GTAV's trailer, while not showing much
    Exactly. Until I see a new trailer from Rockstar, it's all just wishful thinking.

GTAIV wasn't that bad, just that it didn't have as much or more things to do and multiplayer failed, it was still fun playing it the first time around.
    Well, it's not enough to me that I only have fun playing it the first time around. I want to feel like I can come back to it in the future. That's how open world titles work.

EDIT: The video you posted is exactly what I said lol. Under-cover cop getting rep from a gang that it will ultimately take down...what did I miss so far?

EDIT: What's wrong with the storyline? How about, there's not enough of a plot? and it's cliche?
    My point was that they hardly changed anything so what is the original plot you wanted them to go back to? You're criticizing them for what they've always set out to accomplish.

Actually my entire point was to not be like GTA (thus not being its killer). I want something different. I want something more like Shenmue but having open world...I mean, that would completely be an eastern game and it would totally blow my socks off.
    That's why I brought up the Yakuza games. I'm sorry if you don't like that but I can't think of anything else.

This is trying to be a GTA-killer but with an eastern touch...the problem is the "touch". It needs to be a full experience...so far, it seems like it's more for the western audience than the eastern. Which is fine but really I think there would be enough audience...just a different kind. They're trying to get the casuals on-board while trying to cater to the hardcore.
    No, don't give me this casual/hardcore bull$#@!. Especially when talking about the comparisons between Eastern and Western titles and their audiences. Obviously you can't please everyone so if you're fine, as you say, with the game feeling like it's more for the western audience, then leave it at that.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 05-25-2012 at 01:57.

Forum Overseer
    You're making the assumption that this game is competing with Grand Theft Auto V. It's not. Just like how Saints Row 2 wasn't competing with Grand Theft Auto IV. And even if it was, you're wrong about it not looking better. They've explained in a previous developer diary that they added a lot of detail and they've explored Hong Kong, the Triads, how people interact with one another etc.
    But it is competing with it. I don't want it to compete with it...I want it to be a completely different experience.

I didn't mean visually looking better, I'm saying the game as a whole package.

How do people interact with one another? They didn't even touch on that in those trailers. If it's a big part of the game then why was it not shown?

Well, you've got to start somewhere, right?
    Sure I'll give you that, you can't do anything about that. I just wish they had taken the right direction. I really don't think they should give me GTA with an asian touch...which is what this game looks like.

Exactly. Until I see a new trailer from Rockstar, it's all just wishful thinking.
    And the three reasons I gave why GTAV should be far better, doesn't matter? It's wishful thinking but I think even if they don't deliver completely, it's only logical that it will be better than their previous games...one of them being RDR and that was freaking amazing. I have no doubt that Rockstar will deliver...they have the rep you need in this kinda business.

Well, it's not enough to me that I only have fun playing it the first time around. I want to feel like I can come back to it in the future. That's how open world titles work.
    Honestly I didn't go back in GTA:SA either...I ended up doing most things on the way to the end. Most sandbox games aren't that fun once you finish anyway.

GTAIV just didn't have enough things to do on the way...some people come back to play, some don't. I don't.

My point was that they hardly changed anything so what is the original plot you wanted them to go back to? You're criticizing them for what they've always set out to accomplish.
    I'm confused here. I'm just talking about the storyline I see now...I don't know what they did in the past and it's irrelevant.

That's why I brought up the Yakuza games. I'm sorry if you don't like that but I can't think of anything else.
    Yakuza is stupid. I'd rather play a new sequel of Shenmue without knowing a thing about it than a Yakuza game.

No, don't give me this casual/hardcore bull$#@!. Especially when talking about the comparisons between Eastern and Western titles and their audiences. Obviously you can't please everyone so if you're fine, as you say, with the game feeling like it's more for the western audience, then leave it at that.
    Shenmue was more of a eastern audience but westerners embraced it because it was a completely different experience.

Casuals will eat it up (GTA fans) so whatever, I just wish they had chosen a different way. Something that had longevity.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I can't wait to get my hands on this game. No $#@!ing way I would even dare compare this to GTA5 or SR. It's pointless tbh.

Ultimate Veteran
    I see no reason why this game won't have any longevity. I don't know. Just wait for a demo, I guess. But it looks like a fun game to play and that's the main reason I'm attracted to it.

And this is the video I was talking about:

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I can't wait to get my hands on this game. No $#@!ing way I would even dare compare this to GTA5 or SR. It's pointless tbh.
    Which is why I don't think it should even try to.
    I see no reason why this game won't have any longevity. I don't know. Just wait for a demo, I guess. But it looks like a fun game to play and that's the main reason I'm attracted to it.

And this is the video I was talking about:

Yea, I'm not saying the game wouldn't be fun. It's not going to be anything legendary but at least it's a better direction than Yakuza (which is a more eastern game, but not executed well).

It's a good attempt at a series nonetheless. I honestly think they should drop the open world for a more tight experience.

If you go open world, it just puts that much more pressure on you to make it that much better.

I think they should've made it more serious and less flashy like LA Noire. I'm just not buying their whole "exploration" of the culture. How would they? It's a bunch of western developers making an eastern game...it just doesn't work. Their visit to Hong Kong would only go so far (largely just visually).

Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    I'm getting bored at the game making criminals - assaulting and stealing from people - the good and fun guys, it may not have consequences on most people but some are really sheeplike and can see it as truth. Saints row had it a nice way : characters were so lame/stupid/pathetic you wouldn't want to ask them for help and humor and waricature was all around.

Thread Information