Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Maybe if the rumor of buying onlive or that other company is true, they use the ads for that. Or maybe it's just a way for them to get royalties from companies that want to use the method.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    There are ads.

I never said the ads were intrusive, and I never complained about them on the XMB because I can disable them.

We have seen sponsored ads, in What's New for example. Coke sponsored a competition in Madden for example, and it was a Coke ad taking you to Madden/Coke competition details.

You are welcome to think they are not ads. I am not here to change your mind. Just stating what shows up on the XMB that is in our household. Ads (well, not now that I turned them off)

Let's not drag that into the thread. Feel free to talk about that in the 360 section so our thread is not derailed. (btw, I agree...sucks having ads on an online service that you pay for).
    They're misunderstanding you. You didn't complain about it.

I've seen ads on PSN, I know what you're talking about but the actual ads that are virtually none. The rest is all related to the PS.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    They're misunderstanding you. You didn't complain about it.

I've seen ads on PSN, I know what you're talking about but the actual ads that are virtually none. The rest is all related to the PS.
    At least you know what I am talking about. But in the end, I don't really care what they want to believe. I know exactly what is displayed on my XMB.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Atlas-0-
    At least you know what I am talking about. But in the end, I don't really care what they want to believe. I know exactly what is displayed on my XMB.
    There's a difference between intrusive adds which can be visible no matter where you are in the XMB and the adds Sony put in a nice section that can be disabled. We are talking about intrusive adds like the method this thread is about which can potentially appear in a future game. That's why people are reacting to you.

In all honesty, the "what's new" section is relevant and very informative about the happenings in the store without having to open the store itself.

Nirai Kanai

5. Likes Omar likes this post
    Elite Member
    I'm fine with Sony putting ads in the XMB, having the whats new thing full of ads, Its all fine. I just don't want my games to be interrupted like it sounds like it may be. Unless there was an ad that allowed me to instantly order a pizza, then I'm 100% behind that.
    PSN - SillyHatMafia

This is a terrible idea! Even if the commercials were shown during the load screenss, I'd never agree to it!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    I don't see why Sony even needs to put ads. They wan't money, surely. But this would be crossing the line.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Super Elite

And can you properly identify at least one person that agreed with Sony's decision to keep out the vibration feature?
    I'll find one for you but why? Can't you take my word for it? I was around back then and have a good memory. Here's an example of a thread directly responding to the people that claimed that rumble (vibration) was last gen AFTER Sony lost the lawsuit.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...ck-IS-next-gen

Sony itself called vibration "last gen" (without admiting the reason as being the lawsuit).
    http://www.psu.com/a003039/Snag-a-DualShock-3-for-$4999?page=0
    "Sony initially dubbed the feature as "last generation" when it was announced the Sixaxis wouldn't contain the capability, but they've since had a complete reversal on their stance. "

http://www.psu.com/a001411/Kojima-Pr...eatures?page=0

NYFAN said: "Personally I could give a rats butt that they brought it back. I see it as last gen tech but like I said before everyone whinning that it wasn't there now have it back so just be happy and quit complaning."

And finally, here's one thread I just found (trust me there are plenty more if you care to look):
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...that-important

Carsonal: "I dont think a vibrating controller is important at all.
    If you want rumble, turn the sound system up full blast."

Kauldron: "Rumble is not an integral part of the gaming experience as far as I'm concerned. "

Lirion: "I wont miss the rumble because I don't even notice it anymore when i play games. "

Jilippone: "I personally won't miss rumble in most cases it was just annoying."

Coness: "Rumble is down right annoying...I always turn that @@it off when I play anyways. The only benefit I see is if there were some nudy game that required it...u know wat im sayin....?"

ninjaboy: "Bah, rumble, I hardly notice it when it's off or on so I guess I like sixaxis more. "

xero19: "personally i dont give an f...am really looking forward to dis sixaxis thing u nahmean.1 "

Lazerblade22 (I find this one completely outrageous): "
    The first dualshock controller wasnt standard until around 1998.
    The psp does not have any force feedback
    Computers dont have force feedback on mice or keyboards.

I'm pretty sure that they could've put rumble in the ps3 controller, but if they did that, that'd affect its overall durability, make it heavier, and it'd interfere with its motion sensing.

I think kaz put it best when he said: ""If you're playing a flying game and you shoot a rocket and the controller shakes, then you'll likely crash.""

This guy had a good crystal ball (except for the "stole" part): "The company who sony stole the dualshock technology from have said it is easily possible to have both rumble features and tilt sensitivity. I'm telling you, there will a new official pad next year that has both, i'd wager my nads on it!! "
    Last edited by Typical guy; 05-31-2012 at 13:52.

Apprentice

As usual it's a really good idea to get all upset about something you know nothing about, please show me where in the patent it says interrupt a game. It keep saying interactive content which could be streaming games but probably more likely movies or tv shows in which case most movie/streaming sources that have newer content all get interrupted with ads. It makes more sense if you combine that with the rumors of them purchasing a streaming service, and rumors about them offering streaming options for movies and tv.

Realistically the future of TV is better off if the cable and satellite companies can be removed completely, but even then companies still need revenue so ads aren't going anywhere. Most likely it's tech that will make the ps4 into a real streaming device and add content to the ps3, or possibly free to play games with ads at certain parts with the option of buying the game to remove ads, pretty standard among most casual phone games these days

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer51 View Post
    There's a difference between intrusive adds which can be visible no matter where you are in the XMB and the adds Sony put in a nice section that can be disabled. We are talking about intrusive adds like the method this thread is about which can potentially appear in a future game. That's why people are reacting to you.

In all honesty, the "what's new" section is relevant and very informative about the happenings in the store without having to open the store itself.
    No, WE are not. We are talking about ADS in general on the PS3, not JUST intrusive.

Superior Member

If we are talking about pairing ads in games like commercials on free tv I would be ok. If they are putting these commercials in the game and these are paid for by the sponsors and the game would be free then I am all for it. I can stand some ads for a free game. The games I pay for however..I don't want it.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    It's to stop others doing it and making an easy buck.
    Sony is actually saving gaming by coming up with ideas they'll never use before Microsoft does and actually uses them..!!
    Last edited by TGO; 05-31-2012 at 21:20.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Atlas-0-
    Soldier,

So isn't that derailing the thread then? Instead of talking about if the new method of advertising is good for gaming we are talking about if we like the "what's new section". Are we saying a section of Playstation media news is in the same league as ads in game then? Far from it in my opinion.

Nirai Kanai

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer51 View Post
    Soldier,

So isn't that derailing the thread then? Instead of talking about if the new method of advertising is good for gaming we are talking about if we like the "what's new section". Are we saying a section of Playstation media news is in the same league as ads in game then? Far from it in my opinion.
    If talking about ads in an ad thread for the PS3 is derailing then I am guilty.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    If talking about ads in an ad thread for the PS3 is derailing then I am guilty.

Nobody i know even uses that section of the ps3 hell i didnt even know it existed till about a month ago

Thank you itachi

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    Nobody i know even uses that section of the ps3 hell i didnt even know it existed till about a month ago
    It's in what's new, ps store, games, video, music. We use those a lot.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    I'll find one for you but why? Can't you take my word for it? I was around back then and have a good memory. Here's an example of a thread directly responding to the people that claimed that rumble (vibration) was last gen AFTER Sony lost the lawsuit.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...ck-IS-next-gen

Sony itself called vibration "last gen" (without admiting the reason as being the lawsuit).
    http://www.psu.com/a003039/Snag-a-DualShock-3-for-$4999?page=0
    "Sony initially dubbed the feature as "last generation" when it was announced the Sixaxis wouldn't contain the capability, but they've since had a complete reversal on their stance. "

http://www.psu.com/a001411/Kojima-Pr...eatures?page=0

NYFAN said: "Personally I could give a rats butt that they brought it back. I see it as last gen tech but like I said before everyone whinning that it wasn't there now have it back so just be happy and quit complaning."

And finally, here's one thread I just found (trust me there are plenty more if you care to look):
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...that-important

Carsonal: "I dont think a vibrating controller is important at all.
    If you want rumble, turn the sound system up full blast."

Kauldron: "Rumble is not an integral part of the gaming experience as far as I'm concerned. "

Lirion: "I wont miss the rumble because I don't even notice it anymore when i play games. "

Jilippone: "I personally won't miss rumble in most cases it was just annoying."

Coness: "Rumble is down right annoying...I always turn that @@it off when I play anyways. The only benefit I see is if there were some nudy game that required it...u know wat im sayin....?"

ninjaboy: "Bah, rumble, I hardly notice it when it's off or on so I guess I like sixaxis more. "

xero19: "personally i dont give an f...am really looking forward to dis sixaxis thing u nahmean.1 "

Lazerblade22 (I find this one completely outrageous): "
    The first dualshock controller wasnt standard until around 1998.
    The psp does not have any force feedback
    Computers dont have force feedback on mice or keyboards.

I'm pretty sure that they could've put rumble in the ps3 controller, but if they did that, that'd affect its overall durability, make it heavier, and it'd interfere with its motion sensing.

I think kaz put it best when he said: ""If you're playing a flying game and you shoot a rocket and the controller shakes, then you'll likely crash.""

This guy had a good crystal ball (except for the "stole" part): "The company who sony stole the dualshock technology from have said it is easily possible to have both rumble features and tilt sensitivity. I'm telling you, there will a new official pad next year that has both, i'd wager my nads on it!! "
    Now if you go back to your earlier comment and Morganator's, you will see that you both were talking about people "cheering" about any decision Sony makes.

The most I've seen in those posts is that they're ok with it. I was ok with it too, I rarely use my rumble feature, it's nice to have it but I play competitive online games and I can't play without turning it off.

That's far different than cheering Sony for their decisions. I was OK with their decision in that matter.

Now, since you both did generalize, you're still off point. If you can show us at least one person "now" that was even ok with Sony's decision "back then"...you can make the generalization.

Otherwise, it's just a rant.

Not until we just spoke about it.

No, WE are not. We are talking about ADS in general on the PS3, not JUST intrusive.
    Yes we are lol. We are specifically talking about the way these ads will be displayed...intrusively.

No one would care if there was no possibility of that.
    Last edited by Omar; 06-02-2012 at 14:22.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    The most I've seen in those posts is that they're ok with it. I was ok with it too, I rarely use my rumble feature, it's nice to have it but I play competitive online games and I can't play without turning it off.
    Interesting...I'm a pretty decent CoD and BF player on my day but I've never turned my rumble off, will have to see for myself if it gives me any noticeable advantage

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Interesting...I'm a pretty decent CoD and BF player on my day but I've never turned my rumble off, will have to see for myself if it gives me any noticeable advantage
    It does it in intense battles. Especially if you are trying to be very precise with your aim.

Thread Information