Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

ARMA II Mod DayZ - Zombie Apocalypse on a 225KM Island

I honestly think this Mod has potentially changed FPS/Survival games and has set a new height. I will give you some low down:

Background:

Arma II launched a few years back as a military simulator. It is in many peoples opinions the most authentic military FPS created and the sequel Arma III launches in the near futures.
    The game is mission based and has lots of cool features such as authentic weapons and transport and a very good real time day and night cycle. The game and its expansions are set on various maps, all absolutely huge and filled with enemies, civilians, and towns and cities all with their own unique set of buildings.
    It is quite a complex game.

Tell me about the Zombies:

You spawn on a 200km+ map and have to survive. You spawn on the shore with a pistol and 5 magazines, some food and drink, a few bandages and a rucksack for carrying stuff. That's it, no map, no compass, you have no idea where you are. It's multiplayer and roughly you have 50 people per server and you can interact with them via in game chat or mic. The aim of the game is to survive a Zombie apocalypse.

The emphasis of the game is not on killing the Zombies, but actual surviving. You have to scavenge for food, find ammo, find new weapons, new clothing and camouflage etc.

You can decide wether you go it alone and kill everything and every one you see. Or you can team up in a group for a better chance of survival. But trust no one. If they are starving (because yes you have to eat) they may well turn on you for that can of baked beans you found in the abandoned house and once you die, you start again with what's listed above.

It's insanely detailed, for example, you can find and pitch a tent to store your loot in. But if someone finds it, nothing stops them from robbing you. You can find a car, but it may not work until you find fuel and fill it up, or the tyre may be blown and you'll need to acquire a new one. Who know's what you'd find at military bases...

​My experience:

I have literally played this for 30 minutes and this is what happened to me. I spawned and made my way down a rail way track to a farm. It had a few zombies around it so I decided to skirt around to the far side, avoiding them because I saw a open barn. I went in the barn and found a shotgun, but no ammo. Then the Zombies came scuffling by outside and I saw another player creep his way in to the barn. He had a sniper rifle and different clothing to me, he must have played longer and be pretty good to find that stuff.

So I told him please don't kill me down the mic, because the zombies would kill us both. The zombies came scuffling in and we took them down. I was looting the bodies and BAM. He shot me in the head, probably for the shotgun he saw strapped to my back.

Overall:

Nothing comes close to this, it's insane and it's unique. I think the best thing for me to do is to show you this video:

Also if you want to play the game you need a copy of ARMA II and the Expansion Operation Arrowhead. They go on steam sale from time to time. Here is a install guide for the Mod if you already own the games:

http://i.imgur.com/iEVhF.jpg
    Last edited by dc89; 05-27-2012 at 09:31.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Elite Sage
    Sounds good. I got Arma but not the expansion

BBK. Tapatalking.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Sounds boring to be honest.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I think it's a great idea.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Sounds boring to be honest.
    Again, its about survival and action junkies who cannot go 5 minutes without a gun fight would find it boring. TBH when the game gets intense, when you get chased by 20 zombies( btw they are the super fast ones) or have bandits shooting at you, it would make your blood pump faster than any other game has and i can guarantee that.

Ive been playing it for around 3 or more weeks now it is honestly the best experience I have probably ever had in a game. It already surpasses every game ive played this gen, just because of how it plays.

My heart actually starts to race and my hands start to shake during the hours i i have put into this game, such as when my and my mates got ambushed by some bandits at the airfield, it was INTENSE!! It gives you that sense of insecurity, every-time you see another survivor you are always cautious, never know what's going to happen. Teamwork feels rewarding and being in a team actually is useful. The zombies are tough but IMO other players are more of a threat, considering many would kill you just for your beans.

You get drawn into this MOD, on of my play-through started at 5pm and finished at 2 AM, and i did not even notice the time. Your always looking over your sholder and with this just being in alpha and continuing to improve for month to come, it can become one of the best mods.
    It has already increased sales of arma 2 : combined operations by 500% and many many people have brought the game just for this mod, heck the next patch for arma will fix some of the bugs in this mod and will include the mod!!

It is by far the BEST zombie game/mod i have ever played, it pretty much gives you exactly what you want in a zombie game. Basically if you like games to do some of the work, then please dont play it, its very unforgiving and would cause you to rage. It's all up to you.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/17/day-...-sales-up-500/

I have also started to play and enjoy the other missions Arma 2 provides, such as awesome game/mod, makes every other game released this gen feel like some 2 year old game.

Friendship is Carrots
    It certainly sounds interesting. The vidoe of the guy getting robbed reminds me of the RP servers in GMod, so that's a huge plus.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Sucks you need the expansion, if I recall I got arma 2 on greenmangaming or whatever.. the one that uses capsule

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Elite Guru
    If they haven't already, I hope they add the option of becoming a zombie (if you're killed by one) and hunting down other players. Maybe gain abilities by feeding on the living or something.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The mod is now on steam, still needs Arma 2 and expansion.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224580/

Friendship is Carrots
    I seriously want this, but I don't want to spend money on the Arma games, which I would never play. The standalone client needs to hurry up.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Elite Member

They should have based this mod in Georgia and worked out a deal with The Walking Dead to use the franchise name.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I seriously want this, but I don't want to spend money on the Arma games, which I would never play. The standalone client needs to hurry up.

Not that I would ever suggest anything improper, but ARMA II does not have any form of DRM.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Waiting for the client is a smart move. I bought Arma 2 and the expansion months ago mainly for DayZ, to be honest I wish I had waited for the standalone client.

El Presidente
    I would wait as well. No way I would play by myself. I need others to help out.

If people are interested a little PSU Dayz group would be cool.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Elite Sage
    I'm online most nights if anyone ever wants to team up. Typically a group of 6 of us. There is actually 4 of us playing right now on my friends server.

Edit: I will add though. The server I play on you start with NOTHING. just a bag and two bandages. I prefer it that way.
    Last edited by BBK..; 03-07-2013 at 23:37.

Elite Sage

20 minute look at DayZ stand alone.

Thread Information