Latest PSU headlines:

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Apple TV Under Production In China, Apparentl

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/05/2...na-apparently/
    Would like to see the games for the system.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Forum Guru
    I'd hate to see the lawsuits Apple would come up with then because everyones copying their HDTVs.
    Rectangular with bezels and show still and moving images...........
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Forum Sage
    If true, I don't predict this will do well.

Home Theater Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    You can mark my words that this will do well.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    You can mark my words that this will do well.
    People by tv's based on 2 reasons. PQ and price, with price being the main determining factor.

These days people think you are crazy if you spend more than $1k ($1.5K tops) on a tv.

The TV market is mature, its just a race to the bottom (with as many gimmicky features as possible) now.

There isn't any point into apple entering the tv market, they already have the apple tv and mac mini, they don't need any other meda/tv related hardware.

It's like when MS pushed the Zune against the ipod, there wasn't a point since the "war" was over.

Not to mention if apple did release a tv, it would likely be an LCD based tv, which has much more competition compared to plasma tv's.

Forum Sage
    You know people will still buy it. It wont be a failure, at the very least.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm not saying Apple will or won't release a TV, I don't know. But if they do, they won't release a TV as we know it today. Apple enters a market when they can disrupt it. An (actual) Apple TV will be an industry changer. It'll be something entirely unseen. Just like the iPhone was.

Before one dismiss an Apple TV one should remember this quote

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone, PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in." - Ed Colligan in 2006 commenting on the then rumored iPhone.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    You know people will still buy it. It wont be a failure, at the very least.
    Like the 1st gen mba? Or 1st gen apple tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    I'm not saying Apple will or won't release a TV, I don't know. But if they do, they won't release a TV as we know it today. Apple enters a market when they can disrupt it. An (actual) Apple TV will be an industry changer. It'll be something entirely unseen. Just like the iPhone was.

Before one dismiss an Apple TV one should remember this quote

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone, PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in." - Ed Colligan in 2006 commenting on the then rumored iPhone.
    It's a tv. The purpose is to display content from various sources. The only way to make it better is to improve the PQ, make the design more efficient (cost to build/sell and factors like energy consumption) and making the tv thinner/lighter for greater flexibility in placement.

Applr can't do these things since they are already being done from the source component manufacturers.

Apple takes components and puts them into a nice enclosure and ties the hardware together with their own OS.

They can't really do that for a tv beyond what you can do with an apple tv/mac mini at this point.

As for tv software, there really isn't much to improve, since once it is set up the customer rarely delves back into the tv menu.

I don't see the need or a point for apple to bother with a tv.

Ultimate Veteran
    You say that the design isn't a big deal, but it is! People care about that. And you need to look outside the box, there's plenty of things to improve with TV. TV's today all suck. They are ****. TV's could have a faster interface, a nice interface and not be so complex. The software on TV's is beyond **** today. There's plenty of room for innovation in the TV space. And that's just for the software and hardware.

Think about content, who in their right mind thinks content delivery on TV is good today? Nobody. If Apple can strike deals to bring the simplicity of buying content on iTunes to the TV it would be a huge deal.

There's so much to improve with the TV it's not even funny. The TV today is essentially the same as it has always been barring the obvious hardware improvements. It is ripe for disruption.

I'd recommend listening to episode 1 and 2 of John Siracusa's podcast Hypercritical to get some more perspective on the TV situation.

http://5by5.tv/hypercritical/1
    http://5by5.tv/hypercritical/2

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Who would they strike a deal with. Nearly all content is made by the cable people on terms of financing. Or they are advert dependant

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by squirrelbo1; 06-21-2012 at 19:13.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a ****, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Delete please

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a ****, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    Who would they strike a deal with. Nearly all content is made by the cable people on terms of financing. Or they are advert dependant

Maybe they can change that. Or make an Internet only TV that relies on iTunes content, apps from channels (imagine if you could, say, subscribe to just Sky Sports and ESPN via iTunes by them launching apps without needing anything else), Netflix etc. Or, and this is what I think they would do, you could subscribe to the NHL channel (as an app) and the Premier Leauge channel etc via iTunes. That'd be awesome.

They have experiments with that with the current Apple TV.
    Last edited by Tutankhamun; 06-21-2012 at 19:19.

Forum Guru
    Right now, cable (and satellite) companies are simply content aggregators. They donít produce anything, they buy and resell content and generate cashflow by direct revenue (paid subscriptions, PPV, NFL channel, etc.) or by indirect revenues (advertising).

Apple is also in the same market [as cable/sat], but distributes through a single channel (iTunes).

What if Apple simply purchased content (like they already do), but provided it through a real time mechanism, using an App metaphor (App == Show/Channel/Series)

So you buy the AMC App that delivers Mad Men, Walking Dead, The Killing in broadcast real time, that can expose she shows in a common UI, and wrap the show in custom enhanced content.

All of this scheduled through an iPhone, iPad, sharable using Home Sharing, DVR-like streaming to multiple devices (or download and watch later). Ads could be more targeted, and have direct mechanisms for purchase, followup, research.

I donít think Apple will enter the current TV business, I think theyíll enter where the pucks going to be
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Thread Information