Page 1 of 21 111 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items Arsenal

The Euro 2012 Thread

I figured we'd need a thread on this so here it is. I'm not really the type to update the OP after each match so if theres a way to give someone edit power, let me know. Let's get going

EURO 2012 - UKRAINE / POLAND

June 8 - July 16

Winners: Spain!

Finals:

Spain v Italy

Semifinals:

1. Spain vs Portugal Wednesday

2. Germany vs Italy Thursday

Quarterfinals:

1. Czech Republic vs Portugal Thursday

2. Germany vs Greece Friday

3. Spain vs France Saturday

4. England vs Italy Sunday

Group of Underachievers: England__France__Ukraine__Sweden

Group of Deuce: Spain__Italy__Ireland__Croatia

Group of Death: Germany__Holland__Portugal__Denmark

Group of Cupcakes: Russia__Greece__Czech Republic__Poland
    Last edited by DINAMO788; 07-02-2012 at 21:53.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Come on Poland!! $#@! $#@! up!! Actually have a chance in that group.

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    Now lets get this show started with some messed up stuff. Black English soccer players are telling their families to stay home. They say its too dangerous with concerns over racial abuse. We already know that The Walcotts, the Lescotts, and the .. "Oxlade-Chamberlains" will not be attending due to racial concerns. Sol Campbell was even mindful enough to offer his well thought out warning that its not worth going because you could end up "in a Coffin".

Now I just read a story where Balotelli says that he will immediately leave the field if he is racially abused. You hear that opposition fans? If you dont want Balotelli to play against your side because he is a talented and dangerous striker, just give him a little (not too much to get the game called off) of that good ol fashioned racism and youre bound to get their team off focus, even a little! He was also quoted as saying that if he receives any off field abuse while in Ukraine/Poland that he "will go to prison because I will kill him" (sic). Good thing he's such a collected and composed person!

Veteran
    We Poles aren't exactly widely regarded as a racially tolerate group haha. Growing up in America, I'm of a different mindset, but most of Eastern Europe is not.

Actually, let's NOT get this started with some messed up stuff, and let's talk about some footy.

Who are your group qualifiers?
    I hate to pick favorites, but I don't see how England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, and Holland don't make it out of their groups.
    Out of the cupcakes I'll pick Poland and Czech Republic.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    The problem with racism is the FIFA doesn't take immediate harsh decisions about it,specially in competition like this or the world cup.A simple solution is to announce that any racism from any team fans will immediately ban this country for several years from any international/Regional competition,and prevent the team from going through the next stage if this team even managed to do that.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    The problem with racism is the FIFA doesn't take immediate harsh decisions about it,specially in competition like this or the world cup.A simple solution is to announce that any racism from any team fans will immediately ban this country for several years from any international/Regional competition,and prevent the team from going through the next stage if this team even managed to do that.
    that is most extreme. no national team which is representing their nation should be given a ban because a few drunk idiots decided to be racially abusive. I kind of blame the whole anti-racism mentality. They should keep up their efforts to kick out racism or stomp out racism or whatever their slogan is, but they need to understand that they cannot get rid of racism altogether. its always going to be around in one form or another so they need to tender their approaches accordingly.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Shibby's list of group qualifiers looks pretty good, i'll laugh if one of them doesn't make it.
    Portugal could cause some trouble in our group!? No idea how good they are atm.

P.S. I'm not happy with the location of this years EURO either.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by DINAMO788 View Post
    that is most extreme. no national team which is representing their nation should be given a ban because a few drunk idiots decided to be racially abusive. I kind of blame the whole anti-racism mentality. They should keep up their efforts to kick out racism or stomp out racism or whatever their slogan is, but they need to understand that they cannot get rid of racism altogether. its always going to be around in one form or another so they need to tender their approaches accordingly.
    You right of we are talking about couple of guys here, or one player,But in the case of Ukraine they are talking about a whole country drowned in racism not just couple of guys.Players families will not be going so they don't get abused.So it's outside of stadiums too which is horrific for people to be afraid to go to certain country to support their loved ones as if there is a war going or something. Extreme measures must be taken here.

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    dont judge a country youve never been to because a few English national team players are telling their families not to go and the media is printing it every chance they get. its not like the majority of ukrainians or poles are racist and abusive. cmon.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    dont judge a country youve never been to because a few English national team players are telling their families not to go and the media is printing it every chance they get. its not like the majority of ukrainians or poles are racist and abusive. cmon.
    I hope you are right,but what if you not ?! I guess will have to wait and see, and hope for the best.I just need to watch some good football after disappointing season.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If it was English fans they would do it quicker than you can say jiminy cricket.

No but it is still a major problem that needs to be addressed

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Do you even know about these countries? Eastern Europe is notoriously racist. The EURO's shouldnt even of been chosen to be held there. I guarndamntee if a black or Asian person went to any of the games, they would be subject to some sort of abuse. mental or physical.

thats what is messed up, not black families not wanting to go

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    I guarndamntee if a black or Asian person went to any of the games, they would be subject to some sort of abuse. mental or physical.
    What a useful statement. something that is speculation and nontestable and without any backup. Yes, i know about eastern europe. Ive been to Eastern Europe and based on how you describe it, you are just speaking from prejudices. And for the record, all of europe is pretty racist and antisemitic. But Eastern europe is more racist and antisemitic than the rest because its also a lot more $#@!geneous. but that doesnt mean in any way that if your asian or black that you WILL GUARANTEED get abused. you do know that there are asian and black tourists who visit eastern europe, right?

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    What a useful statement. something that is speculation and nontestable and without any backup. Yes, i know about eastern europe. Ive been to Eastern Europe and based on how you describe it, you are just speaking from prejudices. And for the record, all of europe is pretty racist and antisemitic. But Eastern europe is more racist and antisemitic than the rest because its also a lot more $#@!geneous. but that doesnt mean in any way that if your asian or black that you WILL GUARANTEED get abused. you do know that there are asian and black tourists who visit eastern europe, right?
    Shall i direct you to the many tv programmes that have airred over here showing this? or the fact the tourist board even warned us not to go? or the fact that i have been to eastern europe and been attacked cos im black?

Do me a favour, paint your skin black or brown and walk through a male football crowd over there and let me know how you get on pal.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Anywho, that was just my feelings on the matter, lets keep this thread football related ONLY.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Sadly the UEFA wanted to make a political statement by choosing these countries (especially Ukraine).
    They wanted to promote democracy, human rights etc. etc.

I think we can talk about the political aspects of the EURO2012 (we've got no games to talk about anyway atm).
    There were several interviews of polish/ukrainian hools on TV lately - they are looking forward to "Hunt down german fans in bars or on the street - where ever they may hide".

In the past it was hools vs. hools but threatening "normal" fans that just want to celebrate football is detestable.
    I will not go to the EURO2012, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Beast of Bourbon; 05-30-2012 at 11:13.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Yeah the polish holligans are hard core. Nothing beats the Turkish though. They are $#@!ing scary.

But that makes no difference to the governing bodies. Look at turkey. 5 years after a father and young son were murdered after a Leeds game they were given the champions league final. In a stadium ill equipt to actually hold it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by squirrelbo1; 05-30-2012 at 10:50.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    All about the group of death!

Veteran
    Wow, two posts about football, 50 about racism. Cool thread, bro.

I am from Poland, and can tell you from first hand experience that a majority of Eastern Europeans hold some kind of racial prejudice. But very few of those people actually discriminate and take action based on that racial prejudice. There are fans in every country that do, maybe not as much, but it still happens. Some of your thoughts are prejudice against Eastern Europeans, but let's not look at ourselves here, just say some countries shouldn't be allowed to hold competitions because of OUR prejudices and generalisations.
    Last edited by Shibby; 05-30-2012 at 16:53.

Master Sage
    Items Firefox LogoBruce LeeArsenal
    Why are you trying to brush it off Shibby? Yes this is a Sports section but this is also something that travelling fans will face. People are travelling there and it's a legitimate concern. Many people I know are not going there now after they have seen the footage of people getting beat up in stadiums... by fans of the club they support just for not being white, entire stadiums doing Nazi salutes, and just the general atmosphere. Sure it's worse in Ukraine than Poland.. but both Countries have issues to deal with.

You guys might want to brush it off.. but people have family members may or may not go and it's fine to discuss it before the Euros. If you think we're generalizing .. well the entire stadium doing nazi salutes must be in my imagination. So too must those be those guys who were beaten up for being brown INSIDE a stadium (planned by many many people since they were blocked from exiting).. or so too were those guys training to hunt people "when the time comes".

If we don't get any incidents..that would be Fantastic.. and we all hope that we are wrong and security is great there. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by Firefox; 05-30-2012 at 17:15.

Veteran
    I'd be more concerned about the mental health of fans, whose grandparents and great-grandparents were murdered by Nazis, throwing up Nazi salutes, than any offense that someone takes away from it lol.

I'm not trying to brush it off. It's clearly an issue, and yes it's amplified in Eastern Europe, but it's an issue wherever you go. God forbid I want to actually talk about football in the Euro 2012 thread.

And yes no matter how you want to paint it, you're still generalizing.
    Last edited by Shibby; 05-30-2012 at 17:23.

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    well shibby, its still a week before the games start so this was just a topical point and once they do start, it'll be all football from here on out. and also I am Ukrainian (but raised in America) so I also have some incite into how bad things can get. I hope security measures are really stepped up with little tolerance. This should also serve as a wake up to the country's tourism board. Kiev is actually a very beautiful city and they should be focusing on shedding their poor reputations and this would be a great start to it. Personally, I think giving Qatar the world cup is worse than this. But then again we all know how corrupt FIFa officials are.

And to reiterate, Baloteli is a complete tool if he is willing to leave his team and teammates because some people give him some racial abuse. I think thats childish behavior.
    Also on him, he considers himself a genius:

"I think I am a genius, but not a rebel," Balotelli told France Football. "I have my life, my world, I do what I want, without annoying anyone. I believe I am more intelligent than the average person.
    "It is said that geniuses are misunderstood. So perhaps genius is so different that people don't understand.
    "The talent God gave me is beautiful and wonderful, but it is difficult because you are always facing other people keen to judge you.
    "There are few people with such talent, so there are few able to judge what I am doing.""My dream is to become in time the strongest footballer. I know I am strong, but if I go on working I know I can become much stronger," he said.
    "The Ballon d'Or is the most important title after the World Cup and European Championship. It is an objective. I think I could be able to win it one day but I still have to work a lot.
    "When I decide to score, I score. I know I am strong, but I believe it is not enough yet. I can kick fine, dribble very well, but I still have to improve.
    "[Lionel] Messi and Cristiano [Ronaldo] are out of this world."
    Too bad in this day and age, these kinda of outbursts are rewarded with attention and discussion rather than embarrassment and shaming. but I guess this is the type of entertainment people are attracted to (i know i was smirking when I read this).

Master Sage
    Items Firefox LogoBruce LeeArsenal
    Of course all people are not racist in those countries so you can stop saying we're generalizing by saying that racism is an issue there (are you trying to say it isn't?)... you also get varying degrees of Racism from general uncomfort to pure hate and willingness to be violent. But it is a very deep rooted issue that is engrained in both societies. (more so in Ukraine)

We'll discuss football of course.. you think we won't when people are playing? Come on.
    Last edited by Firefox; 05-30-2012 at 17:27.

Veteran
    I'd love to stay and discuss this even more in depth (actually, no I wouldn't, done enough of it this season), but I gotta go help a friend paint. Later.

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    So have you guys been watching the international friendlies? USA was terrific against Scotland and offensively they werent bad against Brazil. They were pretty bad on defense though (Onyewu was playing). The fullbacks were actually good, not we were so weak through the center. Still, the 4-1 scoreline is unjust. doesnt tell the story. USA had like 3 times where they should have definitely scored but luck was somehow always against them. I(and others) actually caught myself say, "man, what do we have to do to score?"

Thread Information