Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

I did not get into the program, looking for suggestions

I recently applied back in March-April to get into a Dental Hygiene program. It turns out even though I had a good amount of points without all the pre reqs counting, the class was too competitive for me to get admitted into. It seems like their program is just very competitive to get into. Now, the good news is if I apply again next year then that's 10 more points for me because I am currently taking the last two pre reqs at the moment. Also, if I wait another year, I get another year off to get my finances and everything stable.

However, because I have a good amount of classes behind me, it wouldn't be too much of a problem to get into a bachelor level dental hygiene program. The problem with that is the last time I was at a university, I struggled with the level and amount of work given by 16-18 hours. No matter how much I studied, it was never enough, but I wonder if the load was a 12 hour load, could I have not felt so overwhelmed.

Then there's applying to another associate dental hygiene program. There are only three in the whole state. I would have to go 4-5 hours away from home and that's a bit much. Then, I could go out of state which they only admit so many out of state applicants I believe.

So, what I am looking for in making this thread is any type of feedback or any suggestions. Do you guys think I should just wait a year and apply to this one again? Apply to a bs level program? Or apply out of state?

Anything is appreciated, thank you.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I would give up the job you're working at (unless that's your income for paying the tuiton) and ask your parents to help you out a little. Here's the thing with college (don't know if it's the same with uni) but they give you so much work that you'll go nuts..and that's what they want. They want to break you so they can root out the lazy and uninterested people from the good ones who care that they're there. It's gonna be even harder for you because you probably have to buy a $#@!load of textbooks, given the program you're in. But if you're serious about and know you won't change career paths, then go for it. But if you want to finish your homework and studies, I suggest not going to work. It's tough to manage homework and a job.

3. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    I would give up the job you're working at (unless that's your income for paying the tuiton) and ask your parents to help you out a little. Here's the thing with college (don't know if it's the same with uni) but they give you so much work that you'll go nuts..and that's what they want. They want to break you so they can root out the lazy and uninterested people from the good ones who care that they're there. It's gonna be even harder for you because you probably have to buy a $#@!load of textbooks, given the program you're in. But if you're serious about and know you won't change career paths, then go for it. But if you want to finish your homework and studies, I suggest not going to work. It's tough to manage homework and a job.

I don't work a job, I draw a check for my disability.

When you say go for it, which option do you think I should go for?

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    I would go to the university and take 12 hours if I were in your shoes.

6. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    I thought you were becoming a dietitian?

Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post

What disability? Have you fallen recently
    Vengeful is amazing<3

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by vegan_mekey View Post
    I thought you were becoming a dietitian?
    I had a change of mind and major.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    My mother worked as a dental nurse/assistant when she was about 18 or so, yes its basic and low end but its experience and somewhere to start, maybe there are apprenticeships?

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation

Whichever one benefits you based on pay, how fast you'll be employed, public opinion of the program, etc. And I'm sure you've reviewed both programs..there's always something about either one, so just get whatever has most of your interests or which one has the classes you're most interested in. But again, be prepared for homework, lots of it, and don't procrastinate like me because then you'll go insane. I have a terrible quality and that's waiting for the last minute to do homework that doesn't interest me.

12. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    I would go to the university and take 12 hours if I were in your shoes.
    I would second this.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ex nihilo7 View Post
    I would second this.
    3rds.

12 hours should be fine, I mean, there’s 100’s of thousands of kids in school taking 12 hours/semester with no problems. Heck, I did and worked part time and still had time for fun.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Yeah go to uni. Best experience ever

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    3rds.

12 hours should be fine, I mean, there’s 100’s of thousands of kids in school taking 12 hours/semester with no problems. Heck, I did and worked part time and still had time for fun.
    4th!

Go to the university, take 9 or 12 hours per, you'll be fine. I took 9-12 per semester and worked full time, came out with a 3.75 ish GPA. Was it rough from time to time? Sure, but I did it, I did all of the assigned work, and I am done with it for now. I will go back for a masters in the next few years, at which time I will be working full time, but it is easily achievable if you are serious about getting it done and you are able to manage your time properly.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    Yeah go to uni. Best experience ever

My experience at an university was one of the worst experiences I've had in my entire life. It was the dorms, it was walking across campus so much, it was the people and how they treated me. Yes there were some things I did like, the resources were great. However, the bad outweighed the negative and that's why I withdrew.

I am making plans. This dental hygiene program is very competitive and so are the other ones in the state. If I don't get in again after applying next year, I need to maybe look at something else.

I feel overwhelmed right now. My clock is ticking, I'm 21 years old and will be 22 this year. At 25, I want to start saving for retirement. I don't want to be 30 without my own home and everything.

I've changed majors 5 times. First it was culinary arts, then it was veterinarian, next it became dietitian, and recently it changed from medical records to dental hygiene. There are so many jobs I can do and enjoy, but I don't know. The number 1 factor I have trouble with is people and how they constantly target me.

I'm thinking if this dental hygiene doesn't work out, then maybe I could give dietitian in a university another shot. If I get 12 hours and get in a peaceful apartment, then I could make it. Another thing that's bothering me is my uncle says if I change majors again, then I'm not serious about college and it puts a lot of pressure on me.

I know I have a year before I have to make a decision, but it's bothering me.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    If you want to start this year with the university you shouldleave your job and dedicate yourself only to studies. Ask your parents to help you out with money like dredaydeto already wrote. If you dedicate Yourself entirely to the studies it wont be a problem for you to study there decently and finish the university. The problem concerning the people there its problem not them but you, because you always write that people dont like you and treat you bad. Its not that humanity is evil, the problem is probably in yourself and you should find it and correct it. Thats pretty much my suggestion and i wish you luck with your studies.

19. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    If you want to start this year with the university you shouldleave your job and dedicate yourself only to studies. Ask your parents to help you out with money like dredaydeto already wrote. If you dedicate Yourself entirely to the studies it wont be a problem for you to study there decently and finish the university. The problem concerning the people there its problem not them but you, because you always write that people dont like you and treat you bad. Its not that humanity is evil, the problem is probably in yourself and you should find it and correct it. Thats pretty much my suggestion and i wish you luck with your studies.

1st of all, I don't have a job.
    2nd of all, it's not me. It's them. The people I talk to in person agree.
    3rd of all, I don't always write about it and since you hate it so much when I do say something about it, then just don't read it.
    Last edited by The Black Wolf; 06-01-2012 at 08:14.

Forum Guru

I feel overwhelmed right now. My clock is ticking, I'm 21 years old and will be 22 this year. At 25, I want to start saving for retirement. I don't want to be 30 without my own home and everything.
    You should focus on short term decisions that effect the means, vs. the end, which is, to be honest, very unlikely (re: the underlined).

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    My experience at an university was one of the worst experiences I've had in my entire life. It was the dorms, it was walking across campus so much, it was the people and how they treated me. Yes there were some things I did like, the resources were great. However, the bad outweighed the negative and that's why I withdrew.

I am making plans. This dental hygiene program is very competitive and so are the other ones in the state. If I don't get in again after applying next year, I need to maybe look at something else.

I've changed majors 5 times. First it was culinary arts, then it was veterinarian, next it became dietitian, and recently it changed from medical records to dental hygiene. There are so many jobs I can do and enjoy, but I don't know. The number 1 factor I have trouble with is people and how they constantly target me.

I'm thinking if this dental hygiene doesn't work out, then maybe I could give dietitian in a university another shot. If I get 12 hours and get in a peaceful apartment, then I could make it. Another thing that's bothering me is my uncle says if I change majors again, then I'm not serious about college and it puts a lot of pressure on me.

Guess different people like different things. I loved living in halls last year, couldn't think of any better way to spend first year. In second year I spendost my time on campus. I work for the students union and nearly all my friends at uni are people I lived with last year or people who work for the SU.

As for getting old ? Your 21 for goodness sake. This is as good as it gets (from what everyone older says) 18 to 25 are the best years of your life. Go and get a degree, enjoy what you are doing. Don't worry too much about your major because nearly all jobs will require a conversion course anyway and most employers just look for graduates. A good degree is just a signal of your ability to learn and work independently.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

23. Likes The Black Wolf, Wrath likes this post
    Veteran
    Thank you guys.

You should focus on short term decisions that effect the means, vs. the end, which is, to be honest, very unlikely (re: the underlined).
    So why do you say that's unlikely? It may be unlikely, but it would be very beneficial. If I were start saving for retirement through mutual funds or a Roth IRA, then I would have plenty of money to retire when I reach 65. I could live on my nest egg.

Forum Guru
    So why do you say that's unlikely? It may be unlikely, but it would be very beneficial. If I were start saving for retirement through mutual funds or a Roth IRA, then I would have plenty of money to retire when I reach 65. I could live on my nest egg.
    Didn’t say it wouldn’t be beneficial, I said it’s unlikely, because _most_ folks are going to follow squirrelbo1’s recommendation (which I’d totally agree with), and be paying back school loans, and getting into initial debt on cars, housing, etc., and escalating their lifestyle incrementally as they make more money.

FWIW, a Mut Fund or Roth doesn’t exactly mean “plenty to retire on”, there’s a number of financial dynamics at work, least of which is your ability to contribute.

I’m not being negative, it’s just at 21, you need to focus on the near term goals: actually get IN school and STAY in school and/or that dental program, and have some fun

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Obviously the last bit of my advice doesn't work for all careers. If you want to be a doctor of medicine you need medicine degree obviously. although even here there are alternative routs of study, for example you could start on a biochemistry or biomed (if you can't do bio chem) course and then apply for a masters in medicine. Might take a two year masters instead of one but its an alternative route. And of course the biochem route leaves you open to careers in pharmaceuticals and the like as well as doctors.

Veteran
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Veteran
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.
    Think about it thoroughly, pick a path, stick with it. I would also work while in school, makes it easier to get a job when you get out especially if its in the field of your study.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    Think about it thoroughly, pick a path, stick with it. I would also work while in school, makes it easier to get a job when you get out especially if its in the field of your study.
    I would add one caveat to this idea to work but not work an ammout that prolongs your studies. Do you want to work and take 15 hours? Or not work and take 21? It is beneficial to study hard and finish quickly. Less debt etc. If you are going to be taking on debt anyway, work the minimum ammout to serve your needs and get the hell outta there a semester or two early.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama

Here's my two cents:

Like others have said, don't be looking so far ahead. It's good to have goals and know what you want to do, but you just can't look at the end result. You've got to break it up into smaller goals. I'll use myself as an example. I want to become a structural engineer. But to do that, the last step I have to do is move to Austin (about an hour away from where I am now) and go UT Austin for my Masters. That's my goal, but I'm not even thinking about Austin at all. Before that, I have to get my Bachelors in civil engineering at UTSA. But I'm not even think about my bachelors degree yet. I'm in a community college right now, and I've got 6 more classes to get through before I can transfer to UTSA. So I'm shooting for taking three classes this fall and three next spring do that I can transfer in the fall of 2013. But I also know that I may have to end up taking two instead of three classes, and not being able to transfer until the spring of 2014. So just don't stress over the end result. Take things one step at a time and don't worry if things don't go as planned. You're still young and have all your life ahead of you.

The next thing that pops out to me is you said you changed your major 5 times already. It makes me wonder why and if this is truly what you want to do. If you're sure that it is, then, there's two options that I see that may work for you. 1) stay put and try again another year. If the uni was so horrible, it may not be a good choice. Now I don't know anything about you or where you're from, so I can't say or guess what the deal is about the problems that come with you and other people. So staying put and family and friends around may be good for you. 2) go out of state. A change of location may be what you need. Getting away from whoever/whatever is giving so much problems may help you focus on school. So I think you need to weigh the pros and cons of each and figure which you think is better for you.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

31. Likes Nitey , [DT] likes this post

Thread Information