Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony: Consumers more likely to buy if a game is both digital and boxed

Platform holder Sony claims the growing appetite for digital content is helping grow the sales of ‘full console’ games.

The format-holder releases some games on PSN and at retail on the same day to make them “as accessible as possible”.

“The world is changing at a rapid rate and the appetite for digital content is growing equally fast,” SCEE’s new release manager Robert Walker told MCV.

“We feel that the best thing to do is allow the gamers to decide how and where they purchase their content. To make that happen, it is our job to make our content as accessible as possible, whether that is at retail or via digital delivery.

“The more accessible content is, the more likely consumers are to purchase it.”

His comments come as Sony America announces a ‘PS3 Ultimate Deals’ promotion, which offers full game downloads for a lower price when bought with extra DLC. Standard PSN users can receive 30 per cent off the overall price, while paying PSN Plus subscribers save 50 per cent overall.

It’s the first time downloadable PS3 games have been priced much lower than their full RRPs, which are usually £49.99. For example, inFamous 2 and its DLC has been cut to $23.79.

Walker added: “How [this space] evolves over time is very difficult to predict.

“But what we can say is that as a business, we take this area very seriously, and have to make sure that we are constantly monitoring both technological advancements, as well as consumer demands.”
    Source

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Soldier 95B
    So much win in that decision. I applaud Sony for taking that step.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Good decision Sony. Making their games available through both retail and digital is smart. Different people like different things and making the options available for the consumer to choose is as good as it gets.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Yep, and I'll be choosing digital every time. Unless there's a Collectors Edition with stuff in it that won't be available to everyone a year later (Uncharted 2).
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Soldier 95B
    Yup, same here. I will be on the digital version every single time as well. I will be able to rid my disk library at some point and access all my games at the click of a button. HELL YEAH!

Veteran
    I need physical copies if I want to continue my hobby. It's about lending. If they remove the ability to lend from Physical copies, then that will also ruin my hobby. So physical for me, with some exceptions (the money will play a part in my purchasing decision)

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtheduck View Post
    I need physical copies if I want to continue my hobby. It's about lending. If they remove the ability to lend from Physical copies, then that will also ruin my hobby. So physical for me, with some exceptions (the money will play a part in my purchasing decision)
    I'm with you on this one. Me and friends swap games so that can't change. Don't wanna wait for the game to download so unless it's cheaper and loading times are shorter then i will be going digital with some.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Yup, same here. I will be on the digital version every single time as well. I will be able to rid my disk library at some point and access all my games at the click of a button. HELL YEAH!
    What happens when you can't access those games at the click of a button? I can see the appeal but they're not meant to replace physical copies.
    Last edited by Black; 05-31-2012 at 23:48.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Great idea I hope to see more deals like that and same day release physical and digital realeases later on the road.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    So what happens when you can't access those games at the click of a button? I can see the appeal but they're not meant to replace physical copies.
    They'll be on the HDD.

For me digital is better because:

1. There's no room being taken up on shelves
    2. Load times are faster
    3. No need to worry about wear and tear on discs or case (a cracked hinge etc.)
    4. No need for disc swapping
    5. A lot of times I put different games in different cases and have to check a lot lol

It just makes everything much easier. And if your friend wants to borrow a game there is always the option to gameshare it with one other person.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I don't mind digital games. I recently bought mafia 2 and I'm going to game share it. I guess once they cut the gamesharing out completely then I won't bother with it. But if there are no $ deals then I'll gladly take the physical copy over digital.
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

Dedicated Member
    More options is never a bad thing XD.

Ultimate Veteran
    i still buy my games on disc and maps from downloading

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Marcgear
    Items PlayStation
    I like both but the cost of digital doesn't do it for me at the moment so full ps3 games i tend to buy physical unless there free off ps+. still ive got a nice collection of psn games too.
    New member of the PS4 club

Thread Information