Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

When you drive, do you use your signal?

http://money.msn.com/auto-insurance/...insurance.aspx

The next time you are driving, count how many times your fellow drivers fail to use their turn signals. Chances are you will run out of fingers and toes before the engine is warm.

Nearly half of all drivers either don't signal to change lanes or fail to turn the indicator off if they do, according to a newly released report from the Society of Automotive Engineers. Researchers observed 12,000 cars and found a failure rate on lane changes of 48%. One driver in four failed to use a signal to make a turn, the report says.

Those findings back up a 2006 survey conducted by Response Insurance in which 57% of American drivers admitted not using turn signals when changing lanes. Among drivers ages 18 to 24, 71% said they don't use their signals.

Even more disturbing than the statistics were the reasons. Forty-two percent of the signal-avoiders said they didn't have time; 23% admitted they were just too lazy.

Perhaps the rest ran out of blinker fluid. But that momentary lapse comes back to haunt many drivers.

"All drivers have an ongoing duty" to use signals, says SAE report author Richard Ponziani, "just as they have a duty to stop at a stop sign or at a red light."

While failure to signal may seem like a small infraction, improper turning and lane changing (the most frequent infractions associated with failure to signal) cause a lot of car accidents. In New York's most recent tally of accidents, unsafe lane changes were the fifth-most-common cause of accidents, and turning improperly was No. 7.

Nationwide, neglected or improper turn signals cause 2 million car accidents a year, Ponziani says. And for drivers involved in those accidents, a citation for failure to use turn signals could make the difference between a covered repair and a denied claim.

What is the law?

All states require drivers to use directional signals to indicate their intention to turn, change lanes or pass a vehicle.

The details differ, but the goal is the same: No surprises. Indicators make your fellow drivers aware of your intentions and give them enough time to adapt or respond. While the penalty varies by state, failure to signal is usually a minor traffic violation.

According to Penny Gusner, the consumer analyst at CarInsurance.com, a failure-to-signal citation could affect your insurance in several ways.

Many states do not allow insurers to raise rates for just one ticket, but a failure-to-signal citation could cost you a good-driver discount. That could bump up your premiums by as much as 25%, Gusner says. If your state does allow insurers to ding you for a single moving violation, look for a rate increase in the 5% to 20% range.

But the real cost comes if you're involved in an accident. Comparative negligence laws allow insurance companies to reduce claims proportional to degree of fault, Gusner says. If failing to signal puts you more than 50% at fault for the accident, your claim can be adjusted downward or denied altogether, Gusner says.

And contributory negligence states -- Alabama, Maryland, North Carolina and the District of Columbia -- prohibit a driver from recovering any damages if found even a small amount at fault for the accident.

Failure to signal would certainly qualify.
    Do you signal when you drive?

I do. I also know how to hand signals if my lights go out or something happens.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Yup and I believe everyone should.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

3. Likes DeRaddyoMoFo likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I always signal. I hate bad drivers and ones that think they own the road. It's not hard to signal or follow traffic laws. Plus note with all this technology in cars people are going to be less likely to pay attention

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i always use my indicators.
    i hate when people ignore them though!
    especially bikers!!

how would one pass their test and not know that indicators are compulsory?
    instructors watch for this crap! as well as your eyes >_> creepy!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Always do, I hate it when someone doesn't. Big pet peeve of mine. This is generally what I want to do when someone cuts me off without at least signalling.

I see plenty of those assholes everyday. So to scare them, I usually tailgate them, or if they're on the other lane, I match speeds with them until they notice we are traveling at the same speed. It's fun! They usually speed off when they notice.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I always do thesedays.
    Its the decent thing to do it warns people even pedestrians that you will slow down to turn off at the next junction or just pull over to the side of the road.

Not indicating coming off of roundabouts is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Always do, I hate it when someone doesn't. Big pet peeve of mine. This is generally what I want to do when someone cuts me off without at least signalling.

I see plenty of those assholes everyday. So to scare them, I usually tailgate them, or if they're on the other lane, I match speeds with them until they notice we are traveling at the same speed. It's fun! They usually speed off when they notice.
    Tailgating is worse if they suddenly brake which is what I would do and have done you have a greater risk of hittin the arse end of their car and its your fault.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-01-2012 at 17:33.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    I do, the only time I don't is when I'm cutting in front of $#@!head drivers as I suffer from road rage...

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I was thinking about this a few days ago. I always use my signal, ALWAYS. Sometimes I catch my self using it on sideroads with sharp turns lol. but yea, when I merge or turn I always use it.

I find it extremely annoying a lot of drivers don't use their turn signal, it doesn't make sense because the turn signal lever is just 2 inches from a persons hand.

10. Likes DeRaddyoMoFo likes this post
    Forum Sage

Most of the times I do. If im driving at night and there are no other cars, cyclists or pedestrians around sometimes I do it without signalling but it's a habit so I do signal 9/10 times

BBK. Tapatalking.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    So many $#@! drivers in Massachusetts especially Boston lol. Yes I always signal.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

lmfao im sorry but seriously some people excuses were they dont have enough time? ARE you kidding me, some drivers need license suspensions so they can realize the world doesnt go 120mph all the time.

( PSP- SSX On Tour) (PS3- Modern Warfare 3)

14. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    I always use my turn signals, even when I know there's no one around to benefit from it. I mostly do this to keep up the natural habit of it.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I always use my signal. Even if nobody is around, I still use my signals.

More importantly! Did you guys know that on your dashboard there is an arrow on your gas gauge showing you which side of your vehicle your gas cap is on?

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post

More importantly! Did you guys know that on your dashboard there is an arrow on your gas gauge showing you which side of your vehicle your gas cap is on?
    There is not on my dashboard.
    except Honda civic every car I owned so far its on the right.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-02-2012 at 03:07.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Only time I don't use my signals is if I'm nowhere near any cars on the freeway...and there's always cars nearby.
    I don't understand not using signals, it's simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post

Only on some newer cars. I've only owned one car that has that, a 2009 dodge.
    However...on a single exhaust car the gas cap is on the opposite side of the exhaust tip.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Oh boy, a driving thread. This should be fun lol. Yes I use mine. Hate $#@!ty drivers. Not using signals was always my biggest driving pet peeve. But I've recently started a whole lot more of people running red lights that it's taken the top spot. Seriously, on average I probably see 4 or 5 cars a day running red lights. And not the yellow lights that turn red while you're in the intersection. I mean it's red and people still run it. So damn ridiculous
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Where I am, there are more pedestrians running red lights than cars lol. It sucks you're still accountable if you hit them by accident, because of their wrongdoing. This one guy was crossing the street at rush hour..just walking slowly like a douchebag..he finally notices the incoming cars and makes a run for it. Idiot.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    i hate it when people don't use their indicators or they use the wrong lane at roundabouts/junctions. So many $#@! drivers out there it's mental, how some of these people pass their tests is beyond me.

El Presidente
    At every single turn. So many people don't use their signals I've seen.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Dedicated Member

I use them just because I enjoy making other drivers look at them. Sequential turn signals are fun.

24. Likes MjW likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I had to use hand signals for a few days to turn as I had a fuse blow out. Took a few days before I could get a new fuse but I'm surprised at how many people looked at me like I was crazy using hand signals to turn. I doubt half of them knew what they were and what I was doing.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    If you aren't going to use signals, you shouldn't be on the road. I always use mine.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    this is the perfect article for right now. i have been noticing more and more how i am one of the only few people who use turn signals and it's annoying the $#@! out of me

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Thread Information