Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795

Dark Souls wont be optimised for PC: Strictly a port from the console version

Eurogamer have conducted an illuminating interview with Dark Souls producer Daisuke Uchiyama at E3. Sadly, its not good news. Dark Souls PC will still suffer from the technical issues that plagued the console versions, including the serious frame rate issues that affected certain sections of the game.

Oh dear.

In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, said the producer.

Its more strictly a port from the console version. We havent been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC.

Daisuke told the website that time restraints and a lack of experience in PC ports is to blame: To be completely honest, were having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC. First we thought it would be a breeze, but its turned out not to be the case. Were still developing right now were crunching right now.

From Software are bringing three new venues, four new bosses and additional weapons to the game in an attempt to compensate for the lack of optimisation.

Wow. My dreams of the definitive version of Dark Souls hitting PC on August 21st were just shattered. Porting framerate issues? Really? I appreciate that From Software might have encountered unexpected issues in development but Id prefer a delayed release than a slightly shoddy one. And the threat of Games For Windows Live still lingers.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/07/da...sion%E2%80%9D/
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Sonata Dusk
    Yeah, and you can go $#@! yourself for that choice, From Software.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Yup extremely stupid thing to do, imo.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

It makes sense. A shame it wasn't within their ability to make a good port. I don't understand the framerate part tho. Wouldn't a good graphics card solve that no prob?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayu View Post
    It makes sense. A shame it wasn't within their ability to make a good port. I don't understand the framerate part tho. Wouldn't a good graphics card solve that no prob?
    There's some problem with the game design that causes framerate drops on consoles. And since they're not changing anything, it is expected to be like that for the PC as well.

6. Likes Ayu likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Wow, that's terrible. And it wouldn't even be much of a problem if they chose to delay it. Still, Dark Souls is a good game.
    Thanks to Kwes for the signature!

"As long as there are dreamers who have the courage to pursue their dreams, the world will have heroes. And as long as there is a thirst to discover the unknown, there will be new stories to tell...and new adventures to be had."

Master Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    At least they're honest and holding their hands up about it

BBK. Tapatalking.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Wouldnt the publisher have some developers with PC experience to give them some help?
    EDIT: saying that I forgot this gen has a major greed problem
    HorizonZDMassEffectASouthParkFBWFF12GodofWarKingdomHearts3

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: Feb 2008 - Jun 2011, Slim PS3: Jun 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: Nov 2013 - Present
    PSVita: Dec 2013 - Present
    i5-6600k/GTX 1070 PC Upgrade: Aug 2016 - Present

Ultimate Veteran
    Highly unfortunate, how about we revisit this game in 10years when PC tech can run it smooth 1080P 60fps xD

-[ Over half of the 100~ish UHD Blu-rays on the market ]-
    -[ I wouldn't even watch if they came free with my breakfast cereal ]-

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Highly unfortunate, how about we revisit this game in 10years when PC tech can run it smooth 1080P 60fps xD
    I believe current tech can?

Miqo'te Bard
    If the game can be modded I am sure someone will fix the issue.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Get over it, be thankful you're getting it in the first place.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Get over it he says. Remember when the PS3 was getting $#@!ty ports from the 360? People weren't so quick to get over them were they.

As i said, fair play to From just coming out and saying it as it is, i respect the honesty from them. But at the same time if they don't feel like they were able to release a suitable stable product they should've outsourced the work to someone else who has had more experience with a platform than they have.

A bad broken game is worse than no game at all.

edit: Though saying that, i just had a read about the problems that it had on console and from what I can see the lag was only in a few certain moments out of the whole game. If it is only slight things like that then yeah, people should quit whining. Sounds look a pretty good game, just not for me.
    Last edited by BBK..; 06-07-2012 at 15:18.

15. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Get over it, be thankful you're getting it in the first place.
    So you're one of those who think PC gaming is inferior to consoles. Get over yourself and your consoles.
    Last edited by gangsta_795; 06-07-2012 at 15:45.

17. Likes Minnzy likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Okay, this changes my perception of how much the game is worth. Still want it and will still buy it but not at 29.99. Drop maybe 15-20 and I'm interested.

Obligatory Tapatalk Signature

Master Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    In an ideal world what Goo said would be the best solution. Whether or not the decide to do that remains to be seen.

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post
    So you're one of those who think PC gaming is inferior to consoles. Get over yourself and your consoles.
    I don't think anyone on these forums believes that. Maybe from a content point of view, but certainly not performance.

Forum Overseer
    It seems like the editor presumed that the frame rate issues will be there...which makes little sense because frame rate is a relative problem on PC.

I don't get the big deal...you will still get higher frame rate on PC as well as higher resolutions.

The game is great, one of the best out there...that's important first. It's not that bad-looking either. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    A bad broken game is worse than no game at all.
    Are you implying that Dark Souls is a broken game?

22. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Master Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    i think people are more pissed that the game i using the same assets as the console version - all good and well having a higher resolution but that doesn't mean $#@! if the textures are still at a lesser resolution.

And as far to my knowledge the game is locked at 720p and 30FPS making it a complete straight port of the console gaming using none of the PC's advantages. I think that if the locks are still true i'd be pissed knowing that a current gaming PC is facing the same problems as 5 year old tech

PC gamers and Console gamers, while still are both gamers, they are complete different animals.

As a very general generalization, console gamers aren't bothered/can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 resolutions and 30,60,90 or 120 frames per second whereas most PC gamers can so to many gamers they may think. "Whats wrong with 720p and 30fps?" but when you are used to gaming well and above those variables it is a bit of a slap in the face when they tell you that you can't do that
    Last edited by BBK..; 06-08-2012 at 13:29.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    It seems like the editor presumed that the frame rate issues will be there...which makes little sense because frame rate is a relative problem on PC.

I don't get the big deal...you will still get higher frame rate on PC as well as higher resolutions.

The game is great, one of the best out there...that's important first. It's not that bad-looking either. I don't get it.
    i'll second this.

surely those looking at this 'Hardcore' game would already have PC's capable enough to run it...this game is not for the casual market....unless im missing something??
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    It's not about being able to run it. It's about facing the same problems the consoles were faced with even though having several times the power of 5 year old hardware.

Forum Overseer
    i think people are more pissed that the game i using the same assets as the console version - all good and well having a higher resolution but that doesn't mean $#@! if the textures are still at a lesser resolution.

And as far to my knowledge the game is locked at 720p and 30FPS making it a complete straight port of the console gaming using none of the PC's advantages. I think that if the locks are still true i'd be pissed knowing that a current gaming PC is facing the same problems as 5 year old tech
    Has there ever been a PC game out there that had locked frame rate?

As for the textures...the amount of work going in making those textures higher resolution would mean almost doing the entire game again.

How many ports do we see doing that? Did the MGS HD collection do that? When was the last time a PC port did it?

These guys probably don't see the benefit by putting more resources in when the game likely won't sell close to what it did on the consoles...it makes sense from a business perspective. You still get the slight boost and an amazing game.

I don't see anything to lose in this situation. It's a very unique game.

Forum Overseer
    It's not about being able to run it. It's about facing the same problems the consoles were faced with even though having several times the power of 5 year old hardware.
    But why would that happen? You can literally take the console game and if there was a PS3/360 emulator on PC, it would run with a higher frame rate (depending on your GPU) and higher resolution (just not texture resolution).

I don't see how it would see those issues...the editor of this article clearly was trying to get hits by presuming that.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i don't get what the problem is?
    i assume it would be crap code then??
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    i don't get what the problem is?
    i assume it would be crap code then??
    Crap code wouldn't matter, there's not a single game on PC that can't be run at a very high resolution and frame rate with the GPUs out right now.

Not unless it's Crysis from 2007.

Thread Information