Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Unfinished Swan dev says true open worlds are "the opposite of fun"

The Unfinished Swan combines exploration and linear elements in a way that makes the player feel free, even though they’re not – because freedom without constraints isn’t fun.

“We do want the game to feel like it’s really open and freeform,” creative director Ian Dallas told GiantBomb.

“We want players to feel like they’re exploring the game world, like legitimately we’re not telling them what to do. They’re actually just going out there and finding it for themselves,” he said.

“But it turns out if you make a game that’s completely open that’s the opposite of fun, it just ends up being really frustrating. The goal for us is to make it feel a little more open than it is.

“In terms of mechanics, we’re really trying to give people a toy they can use to explore the world with. We’re not telling them what to do with it,” he added.

The Unfinished Swan is set to release via the PlayStation Network later this year, the first of a three game deal with Sony during which Giant Sparrow will be “incubated” inside Sony Santa Monica, much as thatgamecompany was.
    Source

Well, I don't think the game looks fun. :/
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Finally You Are Free
    He's wrong. A true sandbox would be the best game ever. So far, every game has some restrictions, even the mythical Gmod and Minecraft, so I don't really see his point.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    GTA series
    Just Cause 2
    Fallout 3
    Skyrim
    Watch Dogs tech demo

All fun games to me. I've had the time of my life playing those. This guy is high on some indie cough medicine to say that.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    If he calling games like RDR-GTA-Skyrim the opposite of fun,then clearly this guy should look for a different career. I will not buy this game even if it turns out to be great because i refuse to support such mentality.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

5. Likes Bigdoggy likes this post
    Elite Member
    I think most of your are missing the point. He's not saying all games like GTA or Just Cause are boring even though they are in my opinion. He's saying that its more fun to play a game where as you play you discover that you actually have more freedom. Giving you a true feel of exploration within the game rather than having it all given to you at once.

Imagine playing a game like Skyrim and discovering new areas rather than already knowing about the places because of the map. What if there were predetermined events that lead you into discovering more. That could allow for multiple play throughs and deeper story lines and character plots. Once you complete the story in games like GTA Burnout Skyrim SaintsRow theres noting left but open world and you lose interest quickly.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

7. Likes Mael Duin, neoxthexone likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    He's saying that its more fun to play a game where as you play you discover that you actually have more freedom. Giving you a true feel of exploration within the game rather than having it all given to you at once.
    That doesn't make any sense to me.Games are either Open world-Semi Open World ( Batman ) or Linear. There is no such thing as Free discovery in a non-open world game.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Apparently this guy has never played Fallout 3.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Forum Guru
    He's completely right. Game design stems fundamentally on empowering and restrictions. Empowering without restrictions is not interesting and it's not design.

Especially for this game, a completely open world would be ridiculously frustrating just because of how the world is presented (ie, it's invisible). Therefore, there'd be no directionality, which would mean no progression, no pacing, etc.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by hood View Post
    I think most of your are missing the point. He's not saying all games like GTA or Just Cause are boring even though they are in my opinion. He's saying that its more fun to play a game where as you play you discover that you actually have more freedom. Giving you a true feel of exploration within the game rather than having it all given to you at once.

Imagine playing a game like Skyrim and discovering new areas rather than already knowing about the places because of the map. What if there were predetermined events that lead you into discovering more. That could allow for multiple play throughs and deeper story lines and character plots. Once you complete the story in games like GTA Burnout Skyrim SaintsRow theres noting left but open world and you lose interest quickly.

But you still do discover areas in Skyrim. The map is there, but all the locations have to be discovered, and then they'll appear for fast travel. Just like with any Bethesda RPG game. And while his concept is certainly interesting, it won't add 80+ hours of gameplay..I'd understand if he was saying FPS games are linear or if he generalized that games are too linear, but look at the clocked-in hours of an open world RPG game and a regular GTA game...I still play San Andreas simply because of activities I had in it. I did everything I possibly could in my 2nd playthrough and I still kept playing that game because of features like jetpacks, jet airplanes, sky diving and flying a 747! GTA4 was boring after I finished it because it was nothing like San Andreas...and Just Cause 2 was fun, but the lack of features that a normal GTA game has got me bored of it after a few months. This guy's game would probably see some playthroughs, but I'm still not interested in it, no matter the case he makes.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    GTA series
    Just Cause 2
    Fallout 3
    Skyrim
    Watch Dogs tech demo

All fun games to me. I've had the time of my life playing those. This guy is high on some indie cough medicine to say that.
    None of those are proper sandbox games, GTA series pretty much destroyed the concept. (pre-made heavily scripted missions.)

I would love to see a proper sandbox game where the world would changed by the will of NPCs which are affected by players actions..
    Sadly it is very hard to do properly and would be very hard for players to get it. (When side effects of some actions might take 30 hours of playtime to reach player, it is hard to predict.)
    Last edited by jlippone; 06-08-2012 at 11:26.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

El Presidente
    So I'm not really understanding their meaning of true open world? True open world as in you won't run into any physical barriers? Like you want to climb over a big cliff to see what's on the other side but the game won't let you? Or you'd like to explore another area but the bridge is conveniently going through endless construction or has collapsed? And that is 'the edge' of the game world. Are they saying to get rid of that so you can just keep going and going?

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    True open world games give you the most bang for your buck IMO, it offers the most and, the main point, lasts the longest( SP wise, and MP if you count free roam from IV)

I just see unfinished swans as a more interactive painting game, but that's just me.

PSN ID
    jack1982cp
    I like linear games that don't feel linear, and really with any good linear game you don't feel as if you HAVE to go a certain direction, it's just where you naturally want to go. But I've also had a ton of fun with plenty of open world games. I don't know what this guy's problem is - just kind of a screwball I guess.

Dedicated Member
    Sandbox games are overrated and suffer from buggy designs.They always get boring and have crappy game play.Red Dead was actually well designed,but it was very empty as far as locations.GTA is always tedious game play wise and the driving is horrible.Elder Scrolls is the best open world game that I have played,but it still suffers from major glitches and limited combat features.Just Cause was just garbage.So he makes a great point.I would rather have a well designed linear game than a poorly designed sandbox game any day.

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    Sandbox games are overrated and suffer from buggy designs.They always get boring and have crappy game play.Red Dead was actually well designed,but it was very empty as far as locations.GTA is always tedious game play wise and the driving is horrible.Elder Scrolls is the best open world game that I have played,but it still suffers from major glitches and limited combat features.Just Cause was just garbage.So he makes a great point.I would rather have a well designed linear game than a poorly designed sandbox game any day.
    Well, now I'm just confused.

How can you say sandbox games are overrated, always get boring, and have crappy gameplay and yet praise Red Dead Redemption for being well-designed? And with that in mind, how is The Elder Scrolls (I'm assuming you mean Skyrim) the best open world game that you've played? Can you also elaborate on why Just Cause (or Just Cause 2) is just garbage? Which GTA game has horrible driving mechanics and why? The driving mechanics have changed with each generation.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 06-09-2012 at 19:59.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    That doesn't make any sense to me.Games are either Open world-Semi Open World ( Batman ) or Linear. There is no such thing as Free discovery in a non-open world game.
    your thinking to hard. What exactly is semi-open is there a semi-closed world? Its Open World, linear, and non-linear now semi-open maybe this is the concept he wants to run with and i find it pretty interesting.

@dredaydetox

ill admit i havent played much of Skyrim sold my pc but you pretty much say that skyrim has that type of feel. Then say it wont add 80+ hours of gameplay. So Skyrim is a open world where you discover new things but what im saying is what if you make certain decisions that lead you into uncovering things that you wouldn't on your first play. What if you could pick one character and start a new game where the world of or events from your previous characters adventures overlap into your new game. leaving the possibility of bumping into your previous character where you can decide to collaborate with or to rise up against. Maybe you could just play side by side.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Thread Information