Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    I think I have come up with a decent analogy for this RAM dilemma.
    Lets pretend that we have two teams building a house(game),.
    Team PS3 has (250MB) people that build the house and who are faster and more efficient that usual, and (250MB Video RAM) people that paint the house
    Team Xbox has (500MB shared RAM) of people that do both building and painting, but at the same speed/efficiency as the PS3 painters.

Team Xbox is overall more flexible(making games easier to develop) but less efficient at building than team PS3. More tasks can be performed at the same time but slower.
    Team PS3 less flexible (making games harder to develop) but more efficient at building than team Xbox. Not as many tasks can be performed at the same time, but they can be done faster

So which is better? And now apply that analogy to the future gaming systems.

Of course I am just assuming that this is how it somewhat works.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    Unlike pc's which waste ram on games, consoles dont need as much ram at all, because the operating system and background operations dont take as much ram as if on a pc, and also its easier to program the software to run on hardware that is the same in every box, unlike pc which has different configurations, so this wastes ram.

4GB is the top i think next gen will need, 8 GB is over kill.

a few reasons that MS would go for a lot more ram than what's needed for just games

1: if you are MS & you have the chance to put a version of Windows8 in every living room through your next console you would want to get it in there with ram to spare for games.

2: even if it's not Windows8 I'm pretty sure MS would want the OS to have lots of reserved ram so they can have all types of features that can run at the OS level so it can multitask even when you are playing games.

3: Kinect 2 & SmartGlass they would want this stuff to be transparent to the Games so they will never take away from the game resource.

4: maybe they have been shown what can be done with 8GB of ram & they like it & they are going for it.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    a few reasons that MS would go for a lot more ram than what's needed for just games

1: if you are MS & you have the chance to put a version of Windows8 in every living room through your next console you would want to get it in there with ram to spare for games.

2: even if it's not Windows8 I'm pretty sure MS would want the OS to have lots of reserved ram so they can have all types of features that can run at the OS level so it can multitask even when you are playing games.

3: Kinect 2 & SmartGlass they would want this stuff to be transparent to the Games so they will never take away from the game resource.

4: maybe they have been shown what can be done with 8GB of ram & they like it & they are going for it.
    2 and 4. i guess thats true, but for number 3 the smart glass should be done by the tablet anyway so it shouldnt effect the consoles preformance, and kinect2 could have its own cpu on it to make it less demanding, like it originally was going to have before they cut costs

Thank you itachi

Master Guru
    2 and 4. i guess thats true, but for number 3 the smart glass should be done by the tablet anyway so it shouldnt effect the consoles preformance, and kinect2 could have its own cpu on it to make it less demanding, like it originally was going to have before they cut costs

remember the rumor of Kinect being made into the next Xbox?

think about that, that's not saying that Kinect (the camera) will be made into the console but the hardware\software being made into the console. if they are wanting to take Kinect to the next level I'm sure it will use a bit of ram.

Dat Guy
    remember the rumor of Kinect being made into the next Xbox?

think about that, that's not saying that Kinect (the camera) will be made into the console but the hardware\software being made into the console. if they are wanting to take Kinect to the next level I'm sure it will use a bit of ram.
    I havent heard that rumour *there are a few going round lol* but if the wii u os usage is true then i guess ms spike in usage is justified *wii u os uses 500mb ram leave 1gb for games

Thank you itachi

Master Guru
    I havent heard that rumour *there are a few going round lol* but if the wii u os usage is true then i guess ms spike in usage is justified *wii u os uses 500mb ram leave 1gb for games
    yeah I know & I like the idea of having that much ram reserved for the OS but I think Nintendo is just starting of with that much because they are pretty new to having a OS running on top of the games MS probably wouldn't need as much to do the same things as the Wii U but then again MS might even go beyond that & have 1 - 2GB for the OS & have all types of things going on.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Source is very reliable, that's all I'm gonna say.
    I would never in my life deem ANYONE who leaks out info they are not supposed to as being "reliable"
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    So if the rumour is true, Sony is again going for quality than quantity in the RAM department. But as others have said before, sometimes you need raw quantity.
    Last edited by Itachi; 06-09-2012 at 02:25.

Dat Guy
    yeah I know & I like the idea of having that much ram reserved for the OS but I think Nintendo is just starting of with that much because they are pretty new to having a OS running on top of the games MS probably wouldn't need as much to do the same things as the Wii U but then again MS might even go beyond that & have 1 - 2GB for the OS & have all types of things going on.
    True, i just hope they dont bloat the OS too much theres a limit on what we really need running in background whille playing games, unless they allow someone to stream a movie/music onto smart glass whille one person plays on a game on the main tv.

Thank you itachi

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    You know you guys are arguing over literally "nothing" untill it all materialises on giant screen at a press briefing from MS or Sony, its all just conjecture.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    You know you guys are arguing over literally "nothing" untill it all materialises on giant screen at a press briefing from MS or Sony, its all just conjecture.
    who is arguing?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    who is arguing?
    Dont worry he got banned, I was still on the first page

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    anybody find this suspicious that this popped up a few days after the "leaked xbox specs"? Its 100% fake, and vague for that matter.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    True, i just hope they dont bloat the OS too much theres a limit on what we really need running in background whille playing games, unless they allow someone to stream a movie/music onto smart glass whille one person plays on a game on the main tv.
    The ps3 xmb used to take 150mb of memory, but after some firmware updates the engineers at Sony optimized it to run on 70mb (50% reduction). Think about it, the entire OS in 70mb is mind boggling

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    akhi216
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    The ps3 xmb used to take 150mb of memory, but after some firmware updates the engineers at Sony optimized it to run on 70mb (50% reduction). Think about it, the entire OS in 70mb is mind boggling
    Yes, Sony has some software geniuses.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    anybody find this suspicious that this popped up a few days after the "leaked xbox specs"? Its 100% fake, and vague for that matter.
    Nope! I posted these specs on NeoGaf & all of the insiders say that the info is legit from what they have been shown, it's not the final specs but this is what they know so far.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    But a lot of the devs are saying that the next gen is still a mystery because nothing is set in stone yet

Ultimate Veteran
    There is no way in hell that the next xbox will have 8 gigs of ram. If we are lucky both consoles will have 4 gigs...

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    There is no way in hell that the next xbox will have 8 gigs of ram. If we are lucky both consoles will have 4 gigs...
    No where, has any leaked spec show 8gb, lets put that to rest. What we are repeatedly hearing is 4gb for Xbox, 2gb for PS4.

The DDR thing, is also questionable as anyone will take more ram over slightly faster ram, especially given the current AMD fusion works well with DDR3.

Its going to come down to a straight core race, and that (memory can be changed at a moments notice) means we are looking at 4 vs 8.
    The APU thing? Might help a little not a lot.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Why is the forum returned to its nasty crappy double posting?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    What amazes me is that if anything, it should have been the xbox which should have cut corners on the tech due to Microsoft's new emphasis on media functionalities and the new kinect 2. The Kinect would have increased the cost significantly with a built in processor and what not, whereas Sony had no other distractions so they could put in more money for the CPU/GPU.

I have no idea what the hell is SONY doing if this is true, especially after the whole speech about "being the best"

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    What amazes me is that if anything, it should have been the xbox which should have cut corners on the tech due to Microsoft's new emphasis on media functionalities and the new kinect 2. The Kinect would have increased the cost significantly with a built in processor and what not, whereas Sony had no other distractions so they could put in more money for the CPU/GPU.

I have no idea what the hell is SONY doing if this is true, especially after the whole speech about "being the best"
    new CPU/GPU innovation in the same vein as the CBE???

the only way less could be better?? im just guessing however, ignore me
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Is it really too difficult to fit in 4GB of GDDR5? If that's true then I hope the next generation doesn't start until late 2013/2014.

Apprentice
    you know even though these specs arent final or possibly even fact at least they show that next gen is not going to disappoint
    my prediction was that sony would go for something like an HD 7770 because from what ign says a 6670 was pretty low....

hopefully sony goes with these instead because having something slightly more powerful then a 7850 would be legendary

and please guys even if sony chooses to keep it at 2gb ram at least be happy that your games will look good!
    if you want 60 fps or higher there is always pc gaming, consoles will always lack 1 step behind pc but maybe one day both will be equal and with out having to push for resources :P

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    No where, has any leaked spec show 8gb, lets put that to rest. What we are repeatedly hearing is 4gb for Xbox, 2gb for PS4.

The DDR thing, is also questionable as anyone will take more ram over slightly faster ram, especially given the current AMD fusion works well with DDR3.

Its going to come down to a straight core race, and that (memory can be changed at a moments notice) means we are looking at 4 vs 8.
    The APU thing? Might help a little not a lot.
    some of the same insiders that said the info that I posted was real as of the end of last year are also the one's who say that MS has jumped to 8GB of ram.

Thread Information