Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    some of the same insiders that said the info that I posted was real as of the end of last year are also the one's who say that MS has jumped to 8GB of ram.
    Good to see you on here again ONQ.

Anyway 8GB would be awesome, but might be expensive to do!

Thank you itachi

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    Good to see you on here again ONQ.

Anyway 8GB would be awesome, but might be expensive to do!
    thanks but I never really left I check in almost everyday but I guess I fell out of the habit of posting, (maybe it's the new forum design)

& about the 8GB it's said to be 8GB of DDR3, which is pretty strange & has me thinking that MS is basically making the Next Box a mini Windows 8 box that's going to take over the living room.

Dat Guy
    thanks but I never really left I check in almost everyday but I guess I fell out of the habit of posting, (maybe it's the new forum design)

& about the 8GB it's said to be 8GB of DDR3, which is pretty strange & has me thinking that MS is basically making the Next Box a mini Windows 8 box that's going to take over the living room.
    If thats true then the rumour of it being called xbox8 would be suitable and the xbox infinite also because thats a sideways 8 i hope Sony has a good os for the next playstation hope cross game chat is free like on the vita.

Thank you itachi

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I don't see why they don't just pile the RAM on..RAM IS CHEAP !!
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

5. Likes Bigdoggy likes this post
    Dat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Consoles dont use normal pc ram, its custom built which causes the price to go up

Thank you itachi

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    not the fast ram that's on GPU's & used in consoles, but from the looks of things MS is doing just that using the ram like what's used for PC system Ram & piling it on.

Ultimate Veteran
    Considering we haven't even seen Sony do any tech demos for PS4, at this time, one can safely assume that they have a two year window before hardware launch. Two years is a lot of time to shrink process and source parts. Sony will go with a $400 and $500 SKU strategy, imho. It all lines up. A 7970 now will not be at all powerful compared to PC parts in two years. It would create quite a performance gap between the WiiU and the 720's rumored specs, however. Mating an APU with a dedicated GPU seems in line with Sony's mantra of putting in processors that can assist with rendering operations as they had with the PS2 and the PS3.

I don't really buy into rumors right now, because specs can change in that amount of time, but I can see this as being a good technological goal for the PS4. It is likely that this is the spec of some kind of phase 2 development kit if not final hardware. The 7970 is a pretty power-hungry card. So, there's almost no way that it's current incarnation would end up in a console kit.
    Last edited by Lefein; 06-09-2012 at 17:05.

Veteran
    Seems legit.

This also seems legit.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

10. Likes Linconan, Itachi likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style

It's not uncommon for a devkit to have twice the memory of the final hardware. But I hope it's not a windows 8 machine
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Doesnt seem too powerful though my mid range computer is more powerful nd has more RAMS but so did my computer in 2006 when PS3 was new.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Could of called the CPU Manchester

In all honesty, unless thi sis the same rumour, we are hearing these specs ove rand over, and if this is truley form a different source than this....

And given we've actually heard both these specs from different sources now (both 360 and PS3), I think its quit eclear that this guys did indeed have the specs.http://pastebin.com/j4jVaUv0
    Way too many co-incidiences now for me.
    But wow at the specs. If all the stuff is correct, the PS4 is going to be a mile behind the Xbox.
    Taking it all with a grain of salt untill the day they get announced though.
    AMD already have a Manchester codename.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...E4.2C_90_nm.29
    Last edited by keefy; 06-09-2012 at 21:58.

Master Guru
    It's not uncommon for a devkit to have twice the memory of the final hardware. But I hope it's not a windows 8 machine
    that was brought up but they say it's not the case.

& about Windows8 just look at it, it's made with Touch Screens & Kinect controls in mind

even if it's not a a complete Windows8 console it will be very close to it.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Could of called the CPU Manchester

In all honesty, unless thi sis the same rumour, we are hearing these specs ove rand over, and if this is truley form a different source than this....

9.The X-Box 3 is going to have an 8-core 64-bit processor (assumedly an i7 or similar design) rated at 1.2 Teraflops. The PS4 will feature a 4-core 32-bit processor. XB3 will be using a GPU running support for DirectX 11, while the PS4 will be using an OpenGL 4 GPU. XB3 is specified to use 4 GB RAM, and the PS4 will be shipped with 2GB.
    And given we've actually heard both these specs from different sources now (both 360 and PS3), I think its quit eclear that this guys did indeed have the specs.http://pastebin.com/j4jVaUv0
    Way too many co-incidiences now for me.
    But wow at the specs. If all the stuff is correct, the PS4 is going to be a mile behind the Xbox.
    Taking it all with a grain of salt untill the day they get announced though.
    This instantly makes me call fake, especially from what you quoted. Every hardware and software developer knows that for one not having a 64b CPU is ludicrous, and after so long Sony already knows that having less than 8 cores is suicidal too, especially with Octo-cores already being present in PCs.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    This instantly makes me call fake, especially from what you quoted. Every hardware and software developer knows that for one not having a 64b CPU is ludicrous, and after so long Sony already knows that having less than 8 cores is suicidal too, especially with Octo-cores already being present in PCs.
    I dont think the guys really knew what he was writing down, honestlty as I have said before, he sounds like a guys who saw the specs and quickly wrote them down with out really understanding what he was writing.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAllFail View Post
    In a console, optimization will bring out even better performance (Usually 2x the PC performance).
    2x the PC performance compared to what sort of PC setup? During most of this console generation I've had an 8800GTX and there hasn't been a single multiplatform title that performed 2x better on my consoles than on that PC. In fact, quite the opposite has been true. Every multiplatform title was playable at higher settings than on the consoles (e.g. higher resolution, higher resolution textures, more effects, etc.). Either every single multiplatform title is unoptimized, something that strains credulity given all the current highly optimized multiplatform engines, or you're just making stuff up. What is true is that often consoles have much higher (sometimes many times higher) theoretical performance in some narrow set of conditions than a state of the art consumer PC.

On a related note, I think if this console generation has shown us anything it's that if one console can offer better performance than a competing console by using some convoluted custom design, the real world performance gains are marginal, at best. Those marginal performance gains are offset by the additional cost of custom hardware design, and that cost increases the time it takes to be profitable on hardware. This is probably why we're going to see less custom hardware in this next generation. The battle is about hardware anymore. The battle is about services.

Anway, 2x the PC performance? Show me.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    2x the PC performance compared to what sort of PC setup? During most of this console generation I've had an 8800GTX and there hasn't been a single multiplatform title that performed 2x better on my consoles than on that PC. In fact, quite the opposite has been true. Every multiplatform title was playable at higher settings than on the consoles (e.g. higher resolution, higher resolution textures, more effects, etc.). Either every single multiplatform title is unoptimized, something that strains credulity given all the current highly optimized multiplatform engines, or you're just making stuff up. What is true is that often consoles have much higher (sometimes many times higher) theoretical performance in some narrow set of conditions than a state of the art consumer PC.

On a related note, I think if this console generation has shown us anything it's that if one console can offer better performance than a competing console by using some convoluted custom design, the real world performance gains are marginal, at best. Those marginal performance gains are offset by the additional cost of custom hardware design, and that cost increases the time it takes to be profitable on hardware. This is probably why we're going to see less custom hardware in this next generation. The battle is about hardware anymore. The battle is about services.

8800GTX is much faster than console GPUs so ofcourse its not valid. Provided the similar circumstances, there is NO doubt console games are FAR more optimized

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post

based on what? 6 years of updated parts or PC vs Console head2head on the same level?
    I mean really? you build a quad-core PC with 1gb of ram a 7600 gpu & try comparing it to this gen consoles, I don't think the PC would win.
    hell I've got quad-core with 4gb of ram and a Radeon HD 4800 card( yes its old but still better apparently ) & that struggles with multiplats game

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    based on what? 6 years of updated parts or PC vs Console head2head on the same level?
    I mean really? you build a quad-core PC with 1gb of ram a 7600 gpu & try comparing it to this gen consoles, I don't think the PC would win.
    hell I've got quad-core with 4gb of ram and a Radeon HD 4800 card( yes its old but still better apparently ) & that struggles with multiplats game
    Run those games at 720p or less and medium/low settings like the consoles and you will basically run them almost as good as the consoles. Optimization helps the consoles of course but i believe it's nowhere near as much as people tend to believe.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post
    Run those games at 720p or less and medium/low settings like the consoles and you will basically run them almost as good as the consoles. Optimization helps the consoles of course but i believe it's nowhere near as much as people tend to believe.
    well show me a game that looks & runs as good as Uncharted 3 & Last of Us on a PC with only 256MB of system Ram & a GPU with 256MB of vRam with a GPU from 2006 in the same class as the RSX.

21. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Ancient
    well show me a game that looks & runs as good as Uncharted 3 & Last of Us on a PC with only 256MB of system Ram & a GPU with 256MB of vRam with a GPU from 2006 in the same class as the RSX.
    I think it'l have trouble running internet explorer let alone Uncharted 3 lol
    btw I'm no technical genius, but is there actually anythink wrong with Cell, I know theres processors out there but Cell isn't exactly weak at what it does, I mean Cell + 2gb+ Ram & a up-to-date GPU = what?
    mynd?

23. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    This
    I think it'l have trouble running internet explorer let alone Uncharted 3 lol
    btw I'm no technical genius, but is there actually anythink wrong with Cell, I know theres processors out there but Cell isn't exactly weak at what it does, I mean Cell + 2gb+ Ram & a up-to-date GPU = what?
    mynd?
    This too
    Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post
    Console games don't run on low settings, they run from high-very high. PC is only better at Ultra settings.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Qftmfw.

Anybody who thinks Pc games are optimized is dreaming.
    You simply can't optimize an open box.
    And yes the magnitude is about 2x.

Ancient
    From my understanding if a console has GPU slightly lower then a highend PC, PC owers shouldn't stick there nose up to it because it will more then likely outperform their superior card and their next upgrade, how is that even possible?
    Because those cards never reach their optimize state in a PC, the graphics that PC owners buy new cards for is possible on their older cards, just not when its in a PC.
    You go get Max Payne 3 running on a PS3/360 spec PC at PS3/360 level, its not gonna happen

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

27. Likes Bigdoggy likes this post
    Dat Guy
    From my understanding if a console has GPU slightly lower then a highend PC, PC owers shouldn't stick there nose up to it because it will more then likely outperform their superior card and their next upgrade, how is that even possible?
    Because those cards never reach their optimize state in a PC, the graphics that PC owners buy new cards for is possible on their older cards, just not when its in a PC.
    You go get Max Payne 3 running on a PS3/360 spec PC at PS3/360 level, its not gonna happen

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    Actually it could happen if the game was designed even on pc to run with those exact cards but pc games arent they are designed to run on multiple different set ups lowering there efficience.

Thank you itachi

Forum Guru
    Qftmfw.

Anybody who thinks Pc games are optimized is dreaming.
    You simply can't optimize an open box.
    And yes the magnitude is about 2x.
    More than 2x in some cases.
    I wonder how dreadfully PCs would handle their current games with IOE processors..

In case of ps360 we were unlucky in sense that they were made just in end of GPU generational cycle and a much more powerful GPUs were just around corner.
    This made the generation to feel old even faster.
    Last edited by jlippone; 06-14-2012 at 06:44.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    More than 2x in some cases.
    I wonder how dreadfully PCs would handle their current games with IOE processors..

In case of ps360 we were unlucky in sense that they were made just in end of GPU generational cycle and a much more powerful GPUs were just around corner.
    This made the generation to feel old even faster.
    Man..I don't know what you guys expected from this gen. I find most games (even multi-plats) looking very very good this gen. I don't play on a pc and just a ps3 but I was playing Killzone 3 in 3d yesterday because I found it in my closet and hadn't played it in 3d and I was very impressed visually. I mean compared to what I played last gen this isn't even close.

All I know is that as long as Sony doesn't let the console become too hard to program for or fall to far short of whatever microsoft is releasing we should see awesome games. As far as just pure visuals I don't need much more...I would like to see better physics and better gameplay design (multiple arcs for stories and such) and a much more dynamic environment...than really better pure graphics. Those things should happen anyways because should see more power and memory...as long as there aren't bottlenecks, crazy architecture that takes a long time to learn and code for or optimize game engines for or super high prices I think whatever gets released will be workable for me.

Thread Information