Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If Developers could code directly to the hardware withotu havign to use Direct X or OpenGL that would save some over heads straight away on all video cards but Microsoft will never allow that.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-15-2012 at 00:10.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    Man..I don't know what you guys expected from this gen. I find most games (even multi-plats) looking very very good this gen. I don't play on a pc and just a ps3 but I was playing Killzone 3 in 3d yesterday because I found it in my closet and hadn't played it in 3d and I was very impressed visually. I mean compared to what I played last gen this isn't even close.

All I know is that as long as Sony doesn't let the console become too hard to program for or fall to far short of whatever microsoft is releasing we should see awesome games. As far as just pure visuals I don't need much more...I would like to see better physics and better gameplay design (multiple arcs for stories and such) and a much more dynamic environment...than really better pure graphics. Those things should happen anyways because should see more power and memory...as long as there aren't bottlenecks, crazy architecture that takes a long time to learn and code for or optimize game engines for or super high prices I think whatever gets released will be workable for me.
    Its the same with me. I'm content with the graphics now. Look at The Last of Us, Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 all these games have amazing visuals. I hope that devs use the extra power to increase world sizes, reduce technical hiccups, and advance AI and physics

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    If Developers could code directly to the hardware withotu havign to use Direct X or OpenGL that would save some over heads straight away on all video cards but Microsoft will never allow that.
    Maybe it is just the wording but the statement above would indicate little understanding of hardware acceleration. DirectX and OpenGL are API's (Application Programming Interface). API just provides a standardized way for the human level coding to interface with the machine level coding. There is no fixed requirement to use these API's for GPU programming, and that is what GPU accelerated general computing is about. DirectX is owned by MS but OpenGL is, well, open. The difficulty for OpenGL is that Silicon Graphics was the major company supporting OpenGL and they dropped that many years ago, allowing further development to be carried on by the open source community. As such, OpenGL has lagged DirectX but Nvidia and id, as well as others, are very strong supporters of OpenGL. Still, it is about the tools. GPU programming at the hardware level happens all the time but mainly in academic and corporate level for custom applications. The reason it isn't done for gaming is that it is very time and labor intensive, not really suitable for short game development cycles. Several Sony studios use OpenCL and OpenGL for game development. The API actually allows for shorter programming cycles compared to direct GPU programming at the hardware level.

Here is a Nvidia presentation showing near real-time Global Illumination with OpenGL 4.2. This is huge because GI is what really makes a scene look realistic. MS is trying to close up the GPU graphics development world by locking into DirectX and DirectX tools but Nvidia is not having any of that. It could be Nvidia takes over stewardship of OpenGL.

http://nvidia.fullviewmedia.com/gtc2...5-B-S0610.html
    Last edited by Bligmerk; 06-15-2012 at 17:01.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    GPU programming at the hardware level happens all the time but mainly in academic and corporate level for custom applications. The reason it isn't done for gaming is that it is very time and labor intensive, not really suitable for short game development cycles. Several Sony studios use OpenCL and OpenGL for game development. The API actually allows for shorter programming cycles compared to direct GPU programming at the hardware level.

Here is a Nvidia presentation showing near real-time Global Illumination with OpenGL 4.2. This is huge because GI is what really makes a scene look realistic. MS is trying to close up the GPU graphics development world by locking into DirectX and DirectX tools but Nvidia is not having any of that. It could be Nvidia takes over stewardship of OpenGL.

http://nvidia.fullviewmedia.com/gtc2...5-B-S0610.html
    That's not quite true.
    Yes most will use a HLSL to do their GPU programming, but their are a few optimizations that people can hand tweak once its assembled.
    Prior to SM1.4 almost all graphics programming was assembly driven. But yes that was a long time ago.

Its essential for a GPU programmer to at least understand what hes reading in assembly.

As for the rest of you post, I agree 100%.
    Going back to the days of custom drivers for eery single GPU class out their would do programmers heads in.

People need to remember those wonderful days of Glide drivers.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

I tend to not trust leaked info as it is almost always leaked on purpose but this info is so unimpressive I think I can believe it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    has i said this all could be wrong and the spec's just like the 720 could be completely different to what we have heard over the past year or so
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Ultimate Veteran
    i think the PS4 will be a beast sony wont let MS have a more powerfull console then them or they will have the same power

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Posted here
    I posted in this thread because it lines up with what I said earlier in this thread about windows 8

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    I posted in this thread because it lines up with what I said earlier in this thread about windows 8
    Yeah I saw your post on gaf too

Power Member
    Items User name style
    So how do we feel about an A10 quad going up against these rumored Xbox specs?
    I've long lost touch with performance of CPU's.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    not sure, i dont think there will be any difference between Orbis or Durango games though, they want to box nintendo out.

Thank you itachi

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    not sure, i dont think there will be any difference between Orbis or Durango games though, they want to box nintendo out.
    Nintendo is boxing themselves out! After seeing that price tag of the WiiU and seeing the dismal hardware sales over the holiday season, unless they change something they will be severely hurting once Sony & Microsoft's next gen systems come out...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Both consoles are using AMD's Jaguar cores (supposedly ofcourse) so both consoles are more similar that ever before with RAM and bandwidth being the only significant difference.

Port heaven

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Both consoles are using AMD's Jaguar cores (supposedly ofcourse) so both consoles are more similar that ever before with RAM and bandwidth being the only significant difference.

Port heaven
    I am hoping this is true! That is one thing that has annoyed me so bad with the ports this generation, the quality of those games either flopped one way or the other, it would be great to have identical or near identical versions on both systems.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    GPUs for both are also rumored to be AMD 8xxx series. However there are custom modifications to those parts that make direct comparisons to a desktop PC invalid. Things are looking good. Maybe we'll see a leak in feburary after the playstation destination event

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    GPUs for both are also rumored to be AMD 8xxx series. However there are custom modifications to those parts that make direct comparisons to a desktop PC invalid. Things are looking good. Maybe we'll see a leak in feburary after the playstation destination event

Dat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Nintendo is boxing themselves out! After seeing that price tag of the WiiU and seeing the dismal hardware sales over the holiday season, unless they change something they will be severely hurting once Sony & Microsoft's next gen systems come out...
    I agree, and doesnt help that nintendo seems oblivously to this fact

Thank you itachi

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Firstly, I've heard nothing about the 720 using anything other than IBM not AMD, well nothing that wasn't completely a guess. The more reliable rumours (if there is such a thing) all point to IBM, but who knows.

Ive heard nothing about PS4 using 88xx GPUs?
    Last edited by mynd; 01-08-2013 at 22:49.

Dat Guy
    Firstly, I've heard nothing about the 720 using anything other than IBM not AMD, well nothing that wasn't completely a guess. The more reliable rumours (if there is such a thing) all point to IBM, but who knows.

Ive heard nothing about PS4 using 88xx GPUs?
    I didnt think any company was using IBM tech next gen, the dev kits might of had them, but doesnt mean retail units will.

and yeah a leaked chinese blog posted ps4 specs which included an 8800 series

Thank you itachi

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I didnt think any company was using IBM tech next gen, the dev kits might of had them, but doesnt mean retail units will.

and yeah a leaked chinese blog posted ps4 specs which included an 8800 series
    Al rumors have pointed to a Power 7 in the 720 that I have read.
    As for the PS4, you have a link, because I cant find one by googling it.
    I keep hearing 79xx for the PS4.
    Last edited by mynd; 01-08-2013 at 23:24.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I'm gonna make a rumour tomorrow

Dat Guy
    Al rumors have pointed to a Power 7 in the 720 that I have read.
    As for the PS4, you have a link, because I cant find one by gogling it.
    Werid i cant find the article i read, but this seems very intresting http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11...details-inside

also sony is possible showing off ps4 next month during a closed event, id be suprised if theres no leaks

Thank you itachi

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Werid i cant find the article i read, but this seems very intresting http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11...details-inside

also sony is possible showing off ps4 next month during a closed event, id be suprised if theres no leaks
    If the go APU+GPU, then they probably don't need a 8xxx model GPU anyway.

Thread Information